2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#305646 - 06/03/01 10:51 AM My costom power inverter installation
onemadfool Offline

Loc: Reading, PA
Just another variation on a theme, but I like the way it turned out! Click the link to view the pics,

Pic #1 - http://content.communities.msn.com/isapi...=2&ID_Message=6

pics #2 - http://content.communities.msn.com/isapi...=2&ID_Message=5
------------------
'01 XE V6 4x4 5SPD Aztec Red AOL IM - mtg junkie
communities.msn.com/OnemadfoolsXterraShrine

[This message has been edited by onemadfool (edited 03-06-2001).]

#305647 - 06/03/01 11:09 AM Re: My costom power inverter installation
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Very nice, but I assume you gave up some of your console storage in the process. As long as you can still fit CDs in there, I'd consider it.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#305648 - 06/03/01 11:16 AM Re: My costom power inverter installation
onemadfool Offline

Actually, I did not want to take up my storage space, so I removed the center console and cut a hole with my dremel for just the faceplate. It turns out that there is a small air space between the storage compartment and the outside of the console, so my storage area was not affected. I then extended the wires down under the passanger seat and mounted the main body of the inverter there. All in all it took about and hour and a half with the wiring.

------------------

#305649 - 06/03/01 02:31 PM Re: My costom power inverter installation
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's cool as Sh|t.
What kind of power inverter do you have?
Where'd ya get it? How much?

Oh... I'm doing this.
My Laptop has to have this!

Now I can make the wife drive on long trips and I can get work done!

#305650 - 06/03/01 05:34 PM Re: My costom power inverter installation
p.i.n.o. Offline

Loc: Sugar Land, TX
I really like that set up. It's a lot easier for the driver to access than blenderhead's install (not to put your install down or anything blenderhead).

------------------
Paul Crescini
'00 Super Black SE 4wd Auto
http://www.lil-pino.com/xterra.html

#305651 - 06/03/01 05:44 PM Re: My costom power inverter installation
blenderhead Offline

Loc: Grovetown, GA, USA
Thanks lil_pino, That is a pretty good install, and I have to admit that it is alot easier to access from the driver seat than my install. I guess there is one good thing on my install......I have to stop driving and plug something in, instead of trying to plug in during driving cmon guys I have to defend my install with some kind of lame story. hahaha
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1479294&a=11627857&p=41240959&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1479294&a=11627857&p=41240956&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]

------------------
Blenderheads Xterra Homepage

Greg Moultrie
00 Aztec Red XE 3-pak
4x4 Auto

Greg Moultrie
00 Aztec Red XE 3-pak
4x4 Auto

#305652 - 06/03/01 06:00 PM Re: My costom power inverter installation
p.i.n.o. Offline

Loc: Sugar Land, TX
No problem blenderhead! If it's any consolation, I like the looks of your faceplate better.

Has anyone thought of having a similar set up in the back of the truck?

------------------
Paul Crescini
'00 Super Black SE 4wd Auto
http://www.lil-pino.com/xterra.html

#305653 - 06/03/01 06:17 PM Re: My costom power inverter installation
onemadfool Offline

First off, I have to give props to BlenderHead, his post is what gave me the idea to mount my inverter.

The only reason I didn't mount it in the same location is I thought that the cords would be in the way of the passenger when something is plugged in. Also it makes it a little eaiser to plug something in the rear of the truck as the inverter is mounted back in the truck farther. At first I thought it was going to get in the way of putting a drink in the first cupholder, but it doesn't.

The inverter I have is a 300W w/ internal fan and I bought it a the local Bryn Mayr Stereo and Video store. I paid about $60 bucks for it.

The main reason for getting it was I have a bad case of Asthama, and I can take my breathing machine (nebulizer) with me on long trips, just incase I need it, and avoid trips to the hospital! I also work on PC's for a living, no need to explain how usefull this is going to be! Needless to say I like being overprepared!

------------------

#305654 - 06/03/01 07:07 PM Re: My costom power inverter installation
blenderhead Offline

Loc: Grovetown, GA, USA
onemadfool,

I appreciate the props and I am glad to help you find a way to power up your breathing machine. I do like your location better than mine due to the fact that it is more centralized, and it would keep my wife from complaining that the plugs are in her way when I power up my tv/vcr combo and PS2 on long road trips.......for the kids in the back seat of course

------------------
Blenderheads Xterra Homepage

Greg Moultrie
00 Aztec Red XE 3-pak
4x4 Auto

[This message has been edited by blenderhead (edited 03-07-2001).]

Greg Moultrie
00 Aztec Red XE 3-pak
4x4 Auto

#305655 - 06/03/01 09:18 PM Re: My costom power inverter installation
RonB Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas, USA
I found another "flaw" with yoru install (at least for me) Blenderhead. Your plastic up front is bigger than mine. I only have a 4x2 Manual - so that plastic houseing doesn't do the whole front (I don't know if that is a manual transmition thing, or a 4x2 thing).

------------------
RonB
Weapon X - 2000 Blue Xterra SE 2WD
SWXC - Hill Country Chapter Member

#305656 - 07/03/01 06:14 AM Re: My costom power inverter installation
Chris Mc Offline

Loc: St Charles, MO
Great idea! What'd you use to mount the inverter body under the seat? How'd you run the power to the inverter? Looks real nice, I'll be doing this soon!

------------------
Caver-X
Join the Heartland Xterra Owners Club www.hxoc.net

#305657 - 07/03/01 06:35 AM Re: My costom power inverter installation
Synchro Offline

Loc: The booth on the left
I wonder if it is possible to make the outlets come out of the back of the console. that way, they would be totally out of the way, but all you have to do is reach behind the console to plug stuff in. or in the case of blenderheads PS2 and TV which i am hoping is for the kids in back seat (not while driving), the cords would be totally out of the way.

------------------
Synchro (aka Kirk)
synchro@xterraoffroad.com
2000 Xterra SE, Alpine Green, 4x4, ARB, 32" BFG MTs

#305658 - 07/03/01 06:38 AM Re: My costom power inverter installation
onemadfool Offline

OK, here goes, Alot of people have been asking how I did this. Following is the entire procedure I followed to get this installed....

First, I bought the Inverter. It's a 300W with Internal Fan and Dual outlets, Tripp Lite Brand.

I then removed the face plate of the inverter to see what I was up against. Then I completely removed my center console. I measured the face plate of the inverter, and then cut a hole in the console, just big enough for the wires on the back of the face plate to fit through. (NOTE) This will not interfere with your storage space in the console.

I then spliced wire on to the wires on the back of the face plate and ran the wires under the passenger seat.

I took the main body of the inverter and connected the wires using quick dissconnects (incase I need to remove it for some reason) I mounted the main body under the seat, the same way BlenderHead did, with Metal strapping and screws.

I then drilled small pilot holes for the screws on the face plate and then screwed the face plate to the console. I did not hard wire the power yet, but I plan on attaching that to the 12V dc outlet in the dash.

I tested after eveything was installed and it worked! I then finished securing eveything and bolted the console back in.

P.S. Synchro, that would be possible, there is an airspace all the way around the inner compartment, that would allow you to mount it in front, back or either side.

If anyone else needs any more info please email me at tobywerner@msn.com.

Onemadfool

------------------

[This message has been edited by onemadfool (edited 03-07-2001).]

#305659 - 12/03/01 01:20 PM Re: My costom power inverter installation
MyXGA Offline

Loc: Findlay, Ohio USA
onemadfool,

Not to sound to ignorant but where are you getting the power source? Straight from the battery? Also what is the max load you can run on this? It sounds inviting because I have 2 boys and would love to have sometthing for them to have.
Thanx for any info.

------------------
MyXGA
2000 XE 4x2 Silver Ice
Waag Front Brush (X Silver)
Flowmaster Street 50 series with dynoflow
Plus personal X'tras
Flowmaster Street 50 series with dynoflow
XOC Sticker Ó¿Ò vvrrrmmmm
Plus personal X'tras

#305660 - 13/03/01 08:32 AM Re: My costom power inverter installation
Rick_G Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
FYI- This is where I got my inverter:
http://store.yahoo.com/rodi/vec024.html

#305661 - 13/03/01 01:37 PM Re: My costom power inverter installation
onemadfool Offline

Right now I am just pulling power from the 12v dc in the dash. I do plan to hard wire it soon. The load on my inverter is 300w continueus and 500w max. Hope this helps you out

------------------

#305662 - 14/03/01 08:21 PM Re: My costom power inverter installation
Chris Mc Offline

Loc: St Charles, MO
I have the same Tripp-Lite inverter as everyone else. I plan to hardwire it into the always-on plug under the dash. I know it has to be wired correctly for polarity. I am using the same wires (heater wire) that is attached to the Cig lighter plug. Anyone know which is + and - on the cig lighter plug? The 110AC looks easy to extend into the console, so should be no questions there. Any good ideas for hard mounting this thing under the seat? If not, I'll have to custom fabricate some brackets
Thanks!

------------------
Caver-X
"He who dies with the most toys ...WINS!"
Join the Heartland Xterra Owners Club www.hxoc.net

#305663 - 16/03/01 01:36 PM Re: My costom power inverter installation
coolerman Offline

Loc: Paint Lick, KY USA
Caver-X,
The tip of the plug is the (+) positive and the sides ears are (-)negative. Looking into the socket itself the sides all the way around are (-)negative and the bottom is (+)postive.

------------------
Coolerman
Member of MAXC
1991 XE V6 5sp Pathfinder
2000 SE V6 Auto Xterra
1972 Toyota Land Cruiser
2013 Altima SV
1971 Toyota Land Cruiser

#305664 - 23/03/01 01:17 PM Re: My costom power inverter installation
Fletch Offline

Loc: Kearney, MO
Thanks everyone for the great ideas, I just completed my installation and put the inverter and plugs in the rear cargo area. I can post pictures once I get back from the HXOC Xcursion. It was the best place for the continual plugging in if the air compressor to air up the summer swim toys.

There is an area below the speaker that the inverter will fit into, drilled in two holes through the metal and then into the inverter, secure as can be. Ran extra wire between the box and the plugs, cut my hole with the dremel, bolted the plugs to the plastic and now I have power. I tapped into the power from the rear accessory plug.

Yea, I have to have the ignition on to use it but that is a safety measure to keep the kid from plugging in the boom box, TV, PS2...and running down the battery while I am on the SeaDoo, drinking, creating a bon fire, chasing the female campers...

------------------
Fletch
"We Know Who You Are... Bronze"

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal