Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#306483 - 01/11/07 07:37 PM Can you connect an Aux input on a 2005 stock stereo?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi, I've searched extensively, but can't seem to find an answer.

I'm about to get an XM satellite reciever and wanted to connect into my stock headunit directly...without using the sureconnect FM modulator that comes with the reciever.

The reason I want to do this is that I've heard a lot of people say that they just don't get good quality sound from using the sureconnect modulator, and it is much preferrable to do a direct connect via an aux input to your stereo.

So, I have a 2005 S with a stock headunit. I pulled it out and looked on the back, but I don't see any open connections to do anykind of modification for an auxilliary input.

Is there a way to do this...fairly simply through a kit or something for a 2005 stock headunit?

Tearing apart the stereo and using soldering kits and direct connecting to the circuit board type of solution is well beyond what I want to get involved with.

Thanks for any ideas/input.

#306484 - 01/11/07 09:37 PM Re: Can you connect an Aux input on a 2005 stock stereo?
Anonymous
Unregistered

This topic has been covered a lot. I searched hard for a solution last spring when I wanted to do the same for my 06. Aside from getting an aftermarket stereo, I found absolutely no solution whatsoever. Not even the upgraded RF stereo can be swapped in because it used different wiring which isn't in the car if you didn't get that stereo from the factory. All my other cars (all japanese, subaru, toyota, honda) have had a way to do this. Nissan SUCKS for not doing it.

Why every single car stereo sold doesn't have an aux jack right on the front of it is beyond me. It's unforgivable, there's no excuse. It's like selling a car with a stereo but no speakers, and no way to add them. WTF!

#306485 - 02/11/07 07:06 AM Re: Can you connect an Aux input on a 2005 stock stereo?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, crap, that's what I was afraid of.

Yeah, I see no reason to not put an aux jack on a stereo (back or front)... in today's age of sat radio and mp3 needs.

Strange that Nissan would have this capability in their stock stereos pre-2005, but not now. It's like taking a step back in technology. Dumb.

Thanks.

#306486 - 02/11/07 10:52 AM Re: Can you connect an Aux input on a 2005 stock stereo?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I figure they think of it as a sales tactic to get people to upgrade to higher models of the vehicle. Personally I think that's total crap.

#306487 - 03/11/07 05:14 PM Re: Can you connect an Aux input on a 2005 stock stereo?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey guys check out the fourm titled "Show me your Ipod/mp3 dash mount" I tells how 2 guys bought a mod that allowed them to add a AUX imput. I looking at getting one tonight.

#306488 - 03/11/07 10:03 PM Re: Can you connect an Aux input on a 2005 stock stereo?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Ric1412:
Hey guys check out the fourm titled "Show me your Ipod/mp3 dash mount" I tells how 2 guys bought a mod that allowed them to add a AUX imput. I looking at getting one tonight.
I have seen that thread.

The mod in the first link is for the rockford fosgate stereo only. That's the one with the extra connector on the back of the head unit. The standard stereo does not have this, so those of us who have an x without the RF stereo are SOL.
The second link seems to be broken so I'm not sure what that mod is.

#306489 - 04/11/07 08:49 AM Re: Can you connect an Aux input on a 2005 stock stereo?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had the same problem when I got my wife her Ipod. Problem was solved by putting in an aftermarket HU with the pigtail. Now she can listen to her tunes and control them fro the HU. Still cheaper than the $1000 for the Rockford Fosgate unit.

#306490 - 04/11/07 10:18 AM Re: Can you connect an Aux input on a 2005 stock stereo?
BurgPath Offline

Loc: Knoxville, Tn
Wifes Sonata has no aux input either. I found this item from Sirius, just bought one on EBay for $14.99 shipped.

Hopefully it will work as advertised.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=251550&i=607FMDA25&tp=1701

#306491 - 04/11/07 11:34 AM Re: Can you connect an Aux input on a 2005 stock stereo?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by BurgPath:
[QB]Wifes Sonata has no aux input either. I found this item from Sirius, just bought one on EBay for $14.99 shipped.

Hopefully it will work as advertised.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=251550&i=607FMDA25&tp=1701 [/QB ]
This product claims you don't have to find an unused station to tune it in with your fm radio... so how do you get it in? Is it broadcasting on a fixed channel or what? Will this only work with items that have a built-in fm transmitter, or does it have one inside? Can you just use it with any audio source?

#306492 - 04/11/07 11:50 AM Re: Can you connect an Aux input on a 2005 stock stereo?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wonder if it is about the same as XM's sureconnect solution. Both form a direct connection with the main stereo antenna. In essence, neither is really going into the main headunit as an auxilliary input, but rather piggy-backing onto the FM antenna reception.

I can see both might be an improvement over a wireless modulator, but those aren't even being sold anymore...I don't think.

At least the Audiovox Express satellite radio unit, which I have, has an auxilliary input on the XM sat radio cradle itself...so you can use that aux input to then plug your MP3 unit into.

#306493 - 04/11/07 11:58 AM Re: Can you connect an Aux input on a 2005 stock stereo?
BurgPath Offline

The idea behind the product is that it sits between the antenna and the radio. When it sees input from the mini stereo connector it stops allowing input from the car antenna and feeds it to the deck. So I would think any station would allow output of sound from the MP3 device.

I guess I'll find out next weekend when I have a chance to install it. laugh

#306494 - 04/11/07 01:12 PM Re: Can you connect an Aux input on a 2005 stock stereo?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I understand that this thing interrupts the antenna inupt as its means of getting the signal into the head unit...

But the point of my question is, does this black box have the fm modulator built into it, or does it simply amplify an already-modulated fm signal coming from your sirus radio? I am hoping to use this with an ipod using its audio output, which is not fm modulated. In essence, is the mini connector plug on it supposed to get an audio signal or radio frequency signal?

#306495 - 04/11/07 01:30 PM Re: Can you connect an Aux input on a 2005 stock stereo?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Looks to me like it isn't transmitting FM singal at all, its taking the output of your ipod and "hard wiring" it into the radio.

#306496 - 04/11/07 01:36 PM Re: Can you connect an Aux input on a 2005 stock stereo?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, I called crutchfield and got the scoop. Apparently this is meant for sirius radios only, it's not a true audio input, it's an RF input. This unit transmits into the FM antenna input to the radio, and you listen to the music by tuning it in on your FM radio in the head unit.

The question was whether its input was for raw audio or a modulated RF signal. Apparently it is simply an RF inserter, it does not have the modulator built in, that part must be built in to the portable device, which is why it's meant for those sirius radios only. Though the guy I talked to didn't exactly make me confident that he understood the distinction I was asking for.

He suggested this other product which really is meant for a simple audio input.

better version for ipod use

I may try this one and see how it goes. It's only $30, and it can't be any worse than the wireless transmitters I've tried.

Bottom line is that nobody should have to deal with this crap. All stereos should have an aux audio input these days.

#306497 - 04/11/07 03:00 PM Re: Can you connect an Aux input on a 2005 stock stereo?
BurgPath Offline

Interesting.

If this doesnt work I guess thats another thing to try.

I agree AUX input should be standard. Funny thing is that the lower level Hyundais have it.

#306498 - 05/11/07 08:47 AM Re: Can you connect an Aux input on a 2005 stock stereo?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I did find this but have no idea if it works:
http://www.activetuning.com/products/nissan/multiple/NI-MP-AUXINPT-ALXT/installation.php
If anyone knows for sure if it will work I'd get one.

#306499 - 05/11/07 11:50 AM Re: Can you connect an Aux input on a 2005 stock stereo?
GrayHam Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonny X:
I did find this but have no idea if it works:
http://www.activetuning.com/products/nissan/multiple/NI-MP-AUXINPT-ALXT/installation.p hp
Works fantastic on the '00-'04 stock (non-RF) headunits.

But I don't believe there is any access to the 8-pin DIN on the '05-up stock (non-RF) headunits.

I used this Active Tuning harness on my '03 Xterra. Worked great. Easy-peasy to install.

I ripped it out of my '03 when I traded in on my '06, but when I went to install, there was no access to the 8-pin DIN.

So, I bit the bullet and upgraded the headunits on both of my Gen II Xterras.

#306500 - 05/11/07 12:54 PM Re: Can you connect an Aux input on a 2005 stock stereo?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Darn! Oh well. Looks like I need to shell out even more money.

#306501 - 21/11/07 12:25 PM Re: Can you connect an Aux input on a 2005 stock stereo?
BurgPath Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zimbop:
Ok, I called crutchfield and got the scoop. Apparently this is meant for sirius radios only, it's not a true audio input, it's an RF input. This unit transmits into the FM antenna input to the radio, and you listen to the music by tuning it in on your FM radio in the head unit.

The question was whether its input was for raw audio or a modulated RF signal. Apparently it is simply an RF inserter, it does not have the modulator built in, that part must be built in to the portable device, which is why it's meant for those sirius radios only. Though the guy I talked to didn't exactly make me confident that he understood the distinction I was asking for.

He suggested this other product which really is meant for a simple audio input.

better version for ipod use

I may try this one and see how it goes. It's only $30, and it can't be any worse than the wireless transmitters I've tried.

Bottom line is that nobody should have to deal with this crap. All stereos should have an aux audio input these days.
Verdict is in and you and the Crutchfield guy were right. Didnt work. Makes perfect sense now, should have cancelled the order when I had the chance.

Guess I'll be ordering that thing from Crutchfield now. smile

#306502 - 21/11/07 05:03 PM Re: Can you connect an Aux input on a 2005 stock stereo?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by GrayHam:
Quote:
Originally posted by Jonny X:
[b]I did find this but have no idea if it works:
http://www.activetuning.com/products/nissan/multiple/NI-MP-AUXINPT-ALXT/installation.p hp
Works fantastic on the '00-'04 stock (non-RF) headunits.

But I don't believe there is any access to the 8-pin DIN on the '05-up stock (non-RF) headunits.
[/b]
For the record, the 04's don't have the 8-pin din connector - the switch over to "non-din equipted" head units didn't quite correspond to the Gen1-Gen2 model transition.

So, 00-03 have the din connector, 04 and up don't.
(applies to stock non rockford fosgate head units with single CD player)

#306503 - 04/12/07 10:32 AM Re: Can you connect an Aux input on a 2005 stock stereo?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The part you might be looking for is a PAC unit. It allows for 2 aux inputs. I've installed it on my RF stereo, and I've seen another post somewhere installed on a single din stock stereo as well. It plugs inline with your existing plugs on the rear of the stereo.

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal