2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#306887 - 13/01/05 02:45 PM Re: Factory Amp?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
When amps are rated as being 2 ohms stable this means that they can withstand the stress put on it by bridging channels and/or hooking up speakers to it in parallel. Each time you reduce ohms to generate more power you exponentially increase the load on the amp. When this happens you increase the chances of blowing fuses or burning out your amp and a worse case scenario would be frying your car's electrical system.

When an amp is rated at being 2 ohms stable the manufacturer is saying: "Hey, we tested this baby at 2 ohms and it performed flawlessly without any adverse side effects to the amp or the vehicles electrical system." I've seen amps that were rated as being 2 ohm stable being run at 1 ohm which resulted in a blown amp.
This is exactly what I said... You just used more words.

And... If you install a properly rated fuse at least 12" from the battery, you should not worry about harming the vehicles electrical system.

#306888 - 13/01/05 02:47 PM Re: Factory Amp?
MaloCS Offline

Jeff,

Come on man. Take one listen to my system and I guarantee you your stock RF system won't touch it. Just ask the guys in the club that have heard it. If you want to take a Pepsi challenge we can.

#306889 - 13/01/05 02:48 PM Re: Factory Amp?
MaloCS Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cdoliver:
Quote:
When amps are rated as being 2 ohms stable this means that they can withstand the stress put on it by bridging channels and/or hooking up speakers to it in parallel. Each time you reduce ohms to generate more power you exponentially increase the load on the amp. When this happens you increase the chances of blowing fuses or burning out your amp and a worse case scenario would be frying your car's electrical system.

When an amp is rated at being 2 ohms stable the manufacturer is saying: "Hey, we tested this baby at 2 ohms and it performed flawlessly without any adverse side effects to the amp or the vehicles electrical system." I've seen amps that were rated as being 2 ohm stable being run at 1 ohm which resulted in a blown amp.
This is exactly what I said... You just used more words.

And... If you install a properly rated fuse at least 12" from the battery, you should not worry about harming the vehicles electrical system.
No, you didn't say that. You just introduced the idea of amplifiers being stable at X ohms but you did not define it or explain how it related to the question at hand.

#306890 - 13/01/05 02:51 PM Re: Factory Amp?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by MaloCS:
Jeff,

Come on man. Take one listen to my system and I guarantee you your stock RF system won't touch it. Just ask the guys in the club that have heard it. If you want to take a Pepsi challenge we can.
Hey Vince,

Was your system under $500?

If so, I'm impressed.

But lets do that challenge.

I say we try 'em with classical, Rock and Hip-Hop.

I do like my system, but priced out other options incase the changer broke (hate those changers!)

#306891 - 13/01/05 03:08 PM Re: Factory Amp?
MaloCS Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffW:
Quote:
[b]Jeff,

Hey Vince,

If so, I'm impressed.

I do like my system, but priced out other options incase the changer broke (hate those changers!)[/b]
No, it didn't cost under $500 dollars but yours didn't either. That premium RF system cost you $800.

Still want to take that Pepsi challenge? And yes, we can listen to classical, jazz, hip hop, rock, pop, techno, country, blues, bluegrass or whatever else tickles your fancy. Whatever music is used my setup will shame yours, hands down.

Maybe if you ever show up to any RMXC functions we could compare stereos.

#306892 - 13/01/05 03:11 PM Re: Factory Amp?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I could break it down into even a more detailed explination about how amps load rated, but who really cares anyway. You were explaining it wrong when you spoke about 2ohm rated amp or a 4 ohm rated amp. as you said here:
Quote:
Even though this is technically accurate why would one want to spend money and time trying to find a work around for a cheap, under powered, 2 ohm rated amplifier. For $130 one could get a decent 2 channel, 200 watt amp that's rated at 4 ohms.
Amps run at whatever ohm load you GIVE them. And are stable to only a certain ohm load.

A 2 ohm stable amp is also stable anything above 2 ohms(whatever you give it)
A 4 ohm stable amp isn't stable to 2 ohms, but is stable at anything above 4 ohms. Now the "200 watt amp that's rated at 4 ohms" amp you talked about I would bet is stable at 2 ohms. Most are these days. Next...

#306893 - 13/01/05 03:22 PM Re: Factory Amp?
MaloCS Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cdoliver:
I could break it down into even a more detailed explination about how amps load rated, but who really cares anyway. You were explaining it wrong when you spoke about 2ohm rated amp or a 4 ohm rated amp. as you said here:
Quote:
Even though this is technically accurate why would one want to spend money and time trying to find a work around for a cheap, under powered, 2 ohm rated amplifier. For $130 one could get a decent 2 channel, 200 watt amp that's rated at 4 ohms.
Amps run at whatever ohm load you GIVE them. And are stable to only a certain ohm load.

A 2 ohm stable amp is also stable anything above 2 ohms(whatever you give it)
A 4 ohm stable amp isn't stable to 2 ohms, but is stable at anything above 4 ohms. Now the "200 watt amp that's rated at 4 ohms" amp you talked about I would bet is stable at 2 ohms. Most are these days. Next...
What I was saying was that the numbers given to define the premium RF stereo are rated at 2 ohms. If they rated the amp at 4 ohms those numbers would change. Correct?

You're grasping at straws. Try again.

#306894 - 13/01/05 03:30 PM Re: Factory Amp?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffW:
[b]
Quote:
[b]Jeff,

Hey Vince,

If so, I'm impressed.

I do like my system, but priced out other options incase the changer broke (hate those changers!)[/b]
No, it didn't cost under $500 dollars but yours didn't either. That premium RF system cost you $800.

Still want to take that Pepsi challenge? And yes, we can listen to classical, jazz, hip hop, rock, pop, techno, country, blues, bluegrass or whatever else tickles your fancy. Whatever music is used my setup will shame yours, hands down.

Maybe if you ever show up to any RMXC functions we could compare stereos.[/b]
Yeah, I know.

I'm guilty.

[Too much XOC]

But I said I would pit it against ANY $500 system. The $800 is an inflated dealer price.

Since you challenged, I thought you were saying you met that criteria.

How much is your system worth(less the ipod), Vince?

Because if you have a $1200 or $2000 system, It'll be a waste of time. I'd still like to hear it, though. With the amount of work you've done it must be awesome.

I'd still like to show what mine can do. To many people bought em without the sub and the sound like cocka.

I like my system, though. It is clean and powerful (enough for me, anyway).

#306895 - 13/01/05 03:38 PM Re: Factory Amp?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
What I was saying was that the numbers given to define the premium RF stereo are rated at 2 ohms. If they rated the amp at 4 ohms those numbers would change. Correct?

You're grasping at straws. Try again.

Yes you are right... I'm just trying to keep the conversation going. We both obviously know what we are talking about. It's all in good conversation/debate. I'll try to come up with something better...

#306896 - 13/01/05 03:46 PM Re: Factory Amp?
MaloCS Offline

This thread has been a great debate on the subtle nuances of car stereos. I have enjoyed it thoroughly but I think it's starting to play itself out. Let's agree that some very valid points have been made by all parties involved and leave it at that.

Great discussion. laugh

#306897 - 13/01/05 08:47 PM Re: Factory Amp?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think this got lost in the melee......

Hey man,

This HU works with your amp:

http://www.carsound.com/review_archive/hd_units/RFX9000.html

Good luck

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal