2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#308833 - 24/07/05 08:51 PM XM Radio Mounting
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have an XM Radio that is Plug and Play, I believe it's the Delphi 2. It is currently mounted with the vent mounts; however, this doesn't seem to be a very stable mount. Any suggestions on where to mount? Thanks.

#308834 - 24/07/05 10:23 PM Re: XM Radio Mounting
PoorBoy Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX
Here is a link with some options...
Mounting Plates

I know that this is a different radio completely, but this is where I mounted mine...

#308835 - 26/07/05 12:59 PM Re: XM Radio Mounting
Arson Offline

Loc: Wilmington, DE
I have the SkyFi 2 and mounted it in the flat spot right below the transfer case shifter, bottom left of the transmission selector. Fits really well. Only problem is that I find myself looking down from the road all the time.

#308836 - 12/08/05 09:10 PM Re: XM Radio Mounting
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quick question--and maybe a dumb one. Do I have the dealership install the XM radio or have someone like Best Buy? And is it really worth $400 to have installed? The dealer implied that they were the only who could put it in "correctly."

Ayn advice would be appreciated. Great to be part of the XTerra family.

#308837 - 13/08/05 09:45 AM Re: XM Radio Mounting
PoorBoy Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX
What XM radio are you getting? Is it something you're buying from Nissan? If you are getting one similar to mine... then NO! it is NOT worth $400 for a dealer to install. I installed mine myself. Just need to know some basic eletrical stuff and mount it somewhere. Of course I did it on my '03 and can't say how easy or hard it is on an '05. But if you're just getting an add-on one that's going to just plug into to your antenna... then do it yourself.

**edit...
Is this the one you're looking at?
Xterra Parts - XM Satellite Radio Tuner Base Kit

#308838 - 14/08/05 07:58 PM Re: XM Radio Mounting
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't know which one I'm getting. They just said the 2005 is wired for XM...and that if they put it in it would be "seamless". And that any other installation would not look the same.

Does this make sense? And if so, then maybe it's worth the $400. For now, I'm just thrilled driving the new XTerra! What fun.

#308839 - 15/08/05 07:04 AM Re: XM Radio Mounting
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by woodyas:
Don't know which one I'm getting. They just said the 2005 is wired for XM...and that if they put it in it would be "seamless". And that any other installation would not look the same.

Does this make sense? And if so, then maybe it's worth the $400. For now, I'm just thrilled driving the new XTerra! What fun.
the $400 dealer option is basically just a tuner that hooks into your head unit, and allows you to control your XM via the RF head unit. this is a good option if 1. you've got $400 to burn, 2. you don't plan on ever listening to XM anywhere but in your car, and 3. you prefer the convenience of being able to control everything from the head unit/steering controls.

i have an XM MyFi that i installed in my 05 xterra. it's not as clean as having XM built-in, but it's portable, so i can use it anywhere. for $400 (or less), you could get a MyFi, and one of these http://www.logjamelectronics.com/pacaainis.html to hook it directly into the satellite port on the RF head unit.

i've had XM for three years, and i love it. regardless of what option you pick, it's definitely worth it. i would recommend against having anything installed at a place like best buy or circuit city. they're hacks, and have caused me more problems than i car to recall. go to a private stereo shop if you can't do it yourself. you may pay a bit more, but those guys are pros and know how to do the job right.

#308840 - 15/08/05 07:09 AM Re: XM Radio Mounting
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by rdorsey:
I have an XM Radio that is Plug and Play, I believe it's the Delphi 2. It is currently mounted with the vent mounts; however, this doesn't seem to be a very stable mount. Any suggestions on where to mount? Thanks.
http://www.myradiostore.us/mounts-brackets-tools/
http://www.xmfanstore.com/ (mounting hardware is about halfway down the page)

i've bought stuff from both of these sites. moreso from myradiostore.com lately. but both are very good. they've got all kinds of options for mounting XM, as well as accessories, adapters, etc. other good resources are www.xmfan.com and www.xm411.com.

#308841 - 15/08/05 08:32 AM Re: XM Radio Mounting
Anonymous
Unregistered

Have XM Roady 2 mounted on top of dash - to the left and at back of storage tray. Easy install. Used Pro-fit mount(from my Jeep Liberty) and bent to fit contours of dash.Then used existing screws with one additional screw added for stability. Very clean look and sits up so I can see while driving. Does not block view and with orange display comes close to matching Xterra's dash lights. I have non-RF HU so used fm modulator to connect directly to antenna. Everything stored very easily behind HU. Not a hard install but watch out for scratches.

Based on your post - you have Xterra SE which comes with RF stereo. The $400 is for tuner (tuner is mounted on drivers side kick plate under dash) with glass mounted antenna. Will allow control from steering wheel - I believe. Very clean but also somewhat expensive. I have seen Roady 2's for 49.99 recently and with FM modulator you could install for about $100 - if DYI.

#308842 - 15/08/05 08:35 AM Re: XM Radio Mounting
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ray..

I highly recommend you check out the Pro-Fit VSM Mount. Check it out here: http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/mount.htm

Here are pics of my Sky-Fi mounted with the VSM:

The mount was very easy to install. They are vehicle specific, so they include directions for your vehicle.

#308843 - 15/08/05 08:40 AM Re: XM Radio Mounting
Anonymous
Unregistered

Great information! Again, thank you for all the great information. Get the car broken in--and then decide which way I want to go.

#308844 - 15/08/05 09:44 AM Re: XM Radio Mounting
Anonymous
Unregistered

i had a pro-fit mount in my jeep cherokee. they are very, very nice. i can't wait for them to come out w/ one for the 05 xterra.

#308845 - 15/08/05 09:58 AM Re: XM Radio Mounting
01SalsaXterra Offline

Loc: Suffolk County,NY,USA
Quote:
I highly recommend you check out the Pro-Fit VSM Mount. Check it out here: http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/mount.htm

Here are pics of my Sky-Fi mounted with the VSM:
Thanks for the pix!! I got my Ski-fi 2 a few weeks ago and have been using the vent mount as a temp fix. I was wondering what it would look like mounted where you have it..
Now that I see it, thats definitely what I plan on doing. [ThumbsUp]

I noticed on your 00/01 X, you have the in dash 6 cd changer, are you using the FM modulator on your SkyFi or did you figure out a line in?

I have the in dash tape/CD combo, so I am hooking up a direct line-in using the stock cd changer DIN plug.

Thanks!
L8r

I got "IT" from ebay.
Now it burns when I pee..

#308846 - 15/08/05 10:16 AM Re: XM Radio Mounting
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by 01SalsaXterra:
I noticed on your 00/01 X, you have the in dash 6 cd changer, are you using the FM modulator on your SkyFi or did you figure out a line in?
I am just using the built in FM modulator. I used to have the original SkyFi, but after I bought the X and lost my tape deck, I tried the add-on FM modulator/Power Plug they sell..but it sucked. So I bought the SkyFi2 and it works much better.

I plan on eventually buying the FM Direct Adapter for a cleaner look and better quality.

#308847 - 15/08/05 10:28 AM Re: XM Radio Mounting
01SalsaXterra Offline

Loc: Suffolk County,NY,USA
Quote:
I am just using the built in FM modulator. I used to have the original SkyFi, but after I bought the X and lost my tape deck, I tried the add-on FM modulator/Power Plug they sell..but it sucked. So I bought the SkyFi2 and it works much better.

I plan on eventually buying the FM Direct Adapter for a cleaner look and better quality.
Cool. I kinda figured thats what you were doing.
I'm going to try the direct line-in idea (CD changer input) I'm tired of using the Tape to CD adapter.
You could always buy a used 2001 XE tape/CD stereo that has the CD changer control (Line-In) instead of the FM mod.
Line-In cable for 01 XE radios
Thanks.
L8r

I got "IT" from ebay.
Now it burns when I pee..

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal