Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#309062 - 30/05/06 01:22 PM blue lights
Anonymous
Unregistered

does anybody know where to buy those lights that have the blue tint to them? i have heard about the sylvania blue type but was wandering if there were some that have an even more blue tint. i have seen those ones on ebay but im not that trust worthy of stuff like that off there.

#309063 - 30/05/06 01:42 PM Re: blue lights
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Headlights? Why? Get real headlights, not cosmetic ones.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#309064 - 30/05/06 01:47 PM Re: blue lights
Anonymous
Unregistered

blue bulbs are more trouble then they are worth really.

1. more trouble from the cops. since blue lights arent exactly legal
2. still more trouble from the cops. you get profiled into the same group as all these punk kids with bigs wheels and loud stereos driving fast. dont believe me? drive past a cop at night with blue headlights and see if you get followed.
3. if you were concerned with visibility then yellow or gold are proven to work better in low visibility conditions

just get the slyvanias from walmart. i use the silverstars and my only complaint is that they burn out after a year or 2.

#309065 - 30/05/06 01:48 PM Re: blue lights
Anonymous
Unregistered

well i have the sylnvania silverstars, but what kind do you reccomend that i should get?

#309066 - 30/05/06 01:50 PM Re: blue lights
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by clemsontiger09:
well i have the sylnvania silverstars, but what kind do you reccomend that i should get?
You've already dropped $35 on SilverStars and you want to spend more on some other kind? confused

#309067 - 30/05/06 01:52 PM Re: blue lights
Anonymous
Unregistered

well i didnt know if they were god or not, so i got them. i like really bright lights, i know that HID's go farther than normal lights but i dont know if like each type of headlight matters if you know what i mena. should i just stay with the silverstars?

#309068 - 30/05/06 01:55 PM Re: blue lights
Anonymous
Unregistered

yeah, youre at about as good as you can get man. spend the money elsewhere.

#309069 - 30/05/06 07:10 PM Re: blue lights
BlueSky Offline

Quote:
well i didnt know if they were god or not, so i got them. i like really bright lights, i know that HID's go farther than normal lights but i dont know if like each type of headlight matters if you know what i mena. should i just stay with the silverstars?
Well, for as long as they last. See, SilverStars are notorious for blowing in a matter of 6 months to a year. I had 'em, then one blew, replaced it and a couple of months later the other blew. Said screw that and put my stock bulbs back in. Some say you have to wear gloves while installing 'em blah blah blah, but other say they used gloves and they blew anyway. I think Sylvania's just squeezing money out of people 'cause one you have a pair, when one blows, what are most people going to do? Buy another one.

And guess what? If your headlights are clean and properly aimed, IMHO the stock bulbs are as good as the SilverStars. People who say otherwise want to believe the SilverStars are better 'cause otherwise they'll feel dorkish for shelling out $$$ for bulbs that really don't do that much for you. Hey, I've had both, and stock works fine for me.

#309070 - 30/05/06 07:54 PM Re: blue lights
Anonymous
Unregistered

i dont know. like i said i have the silverstars and to be quite honest i cant tell a difference. when i first put the bulbs in i left one stock one in and put the sylvania one in and the only thing i noticed was that the silverstar was whiter.

#309071 - 30/05/06 08:05 PM Re: blue lights
Anonymous
Unregistered

bud, consider yourself lucky. the 02 xterra has very good, very bright headlights. i have never used my high beams until last night when it dawned on me "i have never used the high beams". so i switched em on.

when i got my x i had to adjust the headlights down a tad to keep from getting flashed. if you need brighter than stock you will be hard pressed. you can always add auxilary lighting. (fog lights, driving lights, etc)

but if your just looking for color, hit ebay, or your local stereo shop and pick up a set of their colored bulbs. just remember to check if they are legal.

#309072 - 30/05/06 08:17 PM Re: blue lights
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
If you want them brighter you don't want blue. The more blue you go, the darker the coating on the bulb, which means less light output. I see some cars with really blue lights and I can't figure out how they can see where the hell they are going. True HID is different, since it is the gas mixture that creates the color rather than a coating on the bulb. Even so, a 4300K HID puts out more lumens than a 7000K HID.

As far as Silverstars are concerned, they just aren't what they claim. The light appears brighter because it's whiter, but you actually lose overall light output. You end up with a brighter area directly in front of you at the expense of distance. Plus the Silverstars we get here aren't even real Silverstars, just regular cheap halogen bulbs with purple coating on them. The real Silverstars are clear glass and have a tighter filament winding, which makes them brighter, but not more blue. The closest you can find to a real Silverstar is probably the Phillips Vision Plus, I think it is.

BTW, I had a Silverstar drop dead within just a couple weeks. In comparison, my PIAA Extreme Whites (which I like, but won't spend money on again), have lasted nearly 4 years.

#309073 - 30/05/06 08:36 PM Re: blue lights
Anonymous
Unregistered

so basically after my sylvanias burn out i shoudl put the stock ones back in, and i do like more lighting but i am not sure if it is legal to drive with auxillary lights (ones on top of roof) plus my xterra did not come with foglights and i dont know if it is wired to do so. if not what do i do then?

#309074 - 30/05/06 08:39 PM Re: blue lights
Anonymous
Unregistered

#309075 - 30/05/06 08:45 PM Re: blue lights
Anonymous
Unregistered

actually i hate to say this but i already have a pair of night vision goggles. they are the ones that were used like 6 years ago by airforce pilots, they could put them on their helmets. but i dont think im going to drive around with them on

#309076 - 31/05/06 06:08 AM Re: blue lights
Anonymous
Unregistered

when i lost 1 headlight bulb i replaced both with the silverstars. i wore rubber gloves to install them (yes, i keep rubber gloves at my house. right next to my duct tape and plastic sheeting muwahaha).

i really liked the change in the lighting and felt i could see better at night. but...they lasted like 6 months and that is way too much money to have them not last.

i just put the cheapies in there now and keep my foglights on for added night visibility (go ahead and yell).

#309077 - 31/05/06 06:59 AM Re: blue lights
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Added visibility? Maybe others see you a bit better, but the stock fogs do jack shit for helping the driver see any better. They're a joke.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#309078 - 31/05/06 08:44 AM Re: blue lights
Anonymous
Unregistered

my only thing is....i dont have fog lights so its not like i can turn those on.....i think i might get some mag lights and strap them to the top of my car.......those should last longer. mwuah ha ha ha

#309079 - 01/06/06 09:45 AM Re: blue lights
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have to chime in here....Watch those blue bulbs on Ebay. When I had my Grand Am, I dropped them in there for the "Xenon look". They worked, but they got so hot that I had to have all of my headlight connections replaced because the headlights I got melted the connectors. Be VERY wary of those "blue xenon" like bulbs on Ebay. If I were you, I'd just stick with the Silverstars and add some extra lights.

#309080 - 01/06/06 11:23 AM Re: blue lights
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gotta put in my .02 worth too.

Contrary to what everyone has said so far, I have the SiverStars and really like them. To me, they are brighter and light up the road better than stock. Maybe I'm nuts, maybe not. But the fact is, to me, they are better.

As far as their longevity goes, I converted my truck to Silverstars shortly after I bought it, sometime in the fall of '03, I got the truck in July, '03. Anyway, since then, I've only had to replace one of them about 4 months ago. The other one is still the same one I put in almost 3 years ago. Do you have to be careful when handling them? Yes. Is it worth it? IMO, yes.

-G-

#309081 - 01/06/06 04:12 PM Re: blue lights
BlueSky Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Gonzo:
Gotta put in my .02 worth too.

Contrary to what everyone has said so far, I have the SiverStars and really like them. To me, they are brighter and light up the road better than stock. Maybe I'm nuts, maybe not. But the fact is, to me, they are better.

As far as their longevity goes, I converted my truck to Silverstars shortly after I bought it, sometime in the fall of '03, I got the truck in July, '03. Anyway, since then, I've only had to replace one of them about 4 months ago. The other one is still the same one I put in almost 3 years ago. Do you have to be careful when handling them? Yes. Is it worth it? IMO, yes.

-G-
Well, as with everything, if it works for you, cool, stick with it. Having compared 'em to stock, I still say that clean, well-aimed stocks are close enough to what you get with SilverStars to save the money. Many people's headlights aren't clean and aren't well-aimed, and you'd need movie premiere searchlight bulbs to make a difference.

#309082 - 01/06/06 04:17 PM Re: blue lights
Anonymous
Unregistered

seems to me like everybody has had their lights burn our (silverstars) does anyone know why they do that?

#309083 - 01/06/06 06:08 PM Re: blue lights
BlueSky Offline

Quote:
seems to me like everybody has had their lights burn our (silverstars) does anyone know why they do that?
Search, grasshopper. There are many threads and posts on this very topic.

#309084 - 01/06/06 06:15 PM Re: blue lights
Anonymous
Unregistered

bluesky, if you would have looked i originally started out the topic talking about blue headlights, YES I LOOKED!! so before you go calling people a grass hopper know what the topic was originally and for your info i wanted peoples opinion on whether or not it was worth it.

#309085 - 01/06/06 06:32 PM Re: blue lights
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
bluesky, if you would have looked i originally started out the topic talking about blue headlights, YES I LOOKED!! so before you go calling people a grass hopper know what the topic was originally and for your info i wanted peoples opinion on whether or not it was worth it.
Which several people gave you, then you asked a different question, and the topic has been touched on too many times to start another one.

#309086 - 01/06/06 06:50 PM Re: blue lights
Anonymous
Unregistered

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal