2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#309232 - 04/06/03 04:18 PM 2003 A/C fiasco, continued
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well the story continues... For anyone that wants the full story, my original post is...

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=38;t=001482

Where the situation stands right now is that one of my local dealers basically refuses to discuss the issue. The service manager at another local dealer completely agrees with me that something is wrong. We've proven that brand new vehicles are operating differently from each other.

I followed up with him today and his response was basically that the only feedback they can get from Nissan is to refer to the recent service bulletin, that in no way explains different vehicles operating differently. He said he can't get anyone to comment on why brand new vehicles are working this way. Essentially he's getting the same line of BS that I've gotten from Nissan Consumer Affairs. It sure does sound like some command has gone out not to admit a problem.

He's now trying to escalate the issue to some regional manager.

My next step is to meet with the dealership owner, or someone along that level and start discussing the possibility of a lemon law complaint, since I now have proof that MY vehicle as well as other new ones, aren't working properly.

Has anyone else run across any other input from dealers, etc.?

Kurt

#309233 - 05/06/03 05:22 AM Re: 2003 A/C fiasco, continued
Olegkha Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Lemon law will not work on something as small as this
It has to be a health/life hassard in order for a lemon law to work

#309234 - 05/06/03 07:30 AM Re: 2003 A/C fiasco, continued
Anonymous
Unregistered

Lemon laws actually vary from state to state. Some are much more strict than others. After reading up on the Utah law I believe it may apply. I don't have the code in front of me right me right now but its written something to the effect of "impairs the safety, performance, usability or value of the vehicle".

I'd say an A/C that never turns off, uses excess gas, and creates unnecessary wear and tear would fall in that category.

Kurt

#309235 - 05/06/03 08:00 AM Re: 2003 A/C fiasco, continued
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
It's no lemon if it's a design change.

TSB NTB03-048 May 6, 2003

A/C COMPRESSOR OPERATION DIFFERENT FROM EARLIER MODELS
APPLIED VEHICLES:
2003 Sentra (B15) – with manual A/C
2003 Altima (L31) - with manual A/C
2003 Frontier (D22) - with manual A/C
2003 Xterra (WD22) - with manual A/C

SERVICE INFORMATION

If a customer indicates:
• The A/C doesn’t turn off at times (the A/C compressor cycles even though the A/C switch is OFF)

OR

• There is slight idle speed fluctuation and/or cool outlet air temperature (even though the A/C switch is OFF)

These conditions may be normal.

Starting with model year 2003, there have been HVAC system improvements.
• These improvements include HVAC system design changes.
• This affects the way the A/C compressor operates.
• The reason for these improvements is to dehumidify the air to help reduce window fogging.

2003 and later models:

• When a defrost mode is selected (either “defrost” or “foot/defrost”)

AND

• As long as the outside temperature is more than 36 – 37°F (2 - 3°C):

The A/C will remain ON with the Mode Control Knob in any mode position, even if the A/C button is OFF.

However, the A/C compressor can be turned OFF by:

• Turning the Fan Control Knob to the OFF position *

OR

• Turning the ignition key OFF
* Turning the fan back ON (before turning the ignition key OFF) will restart the A/C
compressor.

NOTE: Under the above noted condition, the A/C indicator light will not illuminate.

#309236 - 05/06/03 08:51 AM Re: 2003 A/C fiasco, continued
Anonymous
Unregistered

Steve,
If you check out the original thread on this topic you'll see that service bulletin in there. Yes there was definately a design change, and yes SOME '03 Xterras work like that service bulletin says.

However, as I confirmed with a service manager, MY Xterra, and at least one other brand new one on the lot are NOT operating according to that service bulletin.

Either there has be another design change that isn't documented, or there is some engineering/assembly flaw in at least a few vehicles. The fact that even my Nissan dealership cannot get a clear answer out of Nissan engineering is a good indicator that there is a bigger issue going on than that service bulletin.

Kurt

#309237 - 13/06/03 02:12 PM Re: 2003 A/C fiasco, continued
Anonymous
Unregistered

For anyone still interested, I've decided my only recourse in getting my vehicle fixed is to pursue legal action under the lemon law. I visited the dealership this morning and continue to get the same runaround saying that the vehicle is working properly.

The service manager is actually telling me with a straight face that just because two identical 2003 Xterras have A/C that work differently from each other that it doesn't mean one is working incorrectly.

This is the same service manager that sat with me in 3 different 2003s to test the A/C and admitted they were working differently and not according to the documentation.

The latest conversation with Nissan Consumer affairs was similar. The contact there told me he couldn't explain why new vehicles were operating differently from each other, but that they were working correctly.

In my original posting I think a couple of people mentioned they were talking to service reps as well. Did anyone get any kind of intelligent response?

If nothing else I'm going to make sure I let everyone know the kind of run around I'm getting from every angle with Nissan.

Kurt

#309238 - 07/07/03 05:37 PM Re: 2003 A/C fiasco, continued
Swoop411 Offline

Loc: Gallatin
Ive read through your posts and my X does the same thing....sometimes when I use the defroster it continues to run the compressor until I turn off the ignition and then start it again the next time. Any new info from the front lines in the war with nissan?

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal