Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#309781 - 12/05/03 05:48 AM Playstation 2 won't recognize certan games anymore...
MEYEX Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Do we have any resident PS2 experts? I have my PS2 in the truck from time to time and play a lot of movies on it. For some reason now, the console won't recognize certain games anymore. For instance...if the game has that dark colored backing (forgive me for not being technical), like the old Playstation games, it will recognize it and you can play. If it has the backing like a DVD, or CD, (shiney) it won't play it. It will play, like I said movies, and CD's however. Anyone have any clue?

#309782 - 12/05/03 06:15 AM Re: Playstation 2 won't recognize certan games anymore...
ccspelman Offline

Loc: el paso, texas and connecticut
hey.. i have no idea about the whole ps2 thing. and i don't mean to start anything.. but i find your quote about special olympics really offensive.

#309783 - 12/05/03 06:22 AM Re: Playstation 2 won't recognize certan games anymore...
MEYEX Offline

Okay... [Freak] ?

#309784 - 12/05/03 06:31 AM Re: Playstation 2 won't recognize certan games anymore...
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
I thinking, shouldn't this be in the clubhouse forum? This has nothing to do with the trucks stereo/communications/electrical.

(You'd probably get a faster response in the clubhouse, anyway).

(Oh...and it's retarded, not retarted). laugh
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#309785 - 12/05/03 06:34 AM Re: Playstation 2 won't recognize certan games anymore...
MEYEX Offline

thanks

#309786 - 12/05/03 06:36 AM Re: Playstation 2 won't recognize certan games anymore...
Axle Offline

Loc: Fort Carson, CO
Quote:
Originally posted by ccspelman:
hey.. i have no idea about the whole ps2 thing. and i don't mean to start anything.. but i find your quote about special olympics really offensive.
:rolleyes:

[Finger]

#309787 - 12/05/03 06:47 AM Re: Playstation 2 won't recognize certan games anymore...
Guido Offline

Loc: Albertville, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by MEYEX:
Do we have any resident PS2 experts? I have my PS2 in the truck from time to time and play a lot of movies on it. For some reason now, the console won't recognize certain games anymore. For instance...if the game has that dark colored backing (forgive me for not being technical), like the old Playstation games, it will recognize it and you can play. If it has the backing like a DVD, or CD, (shiney) it won't play it. It will play, like I said movies, and CD's however. Anyone have any clue?
My brother has this same problem with his. He found out that some ot the PS2's will no recognized the DVD games (Blue backing). You will need to contact Sony and send console back to get it fixed. He had talked to Sony customer service, and they were no help. He actually found out what the problem was from EA Games, when he asked them why his "The Sims" game wouldn't work.

I don't know what you need to do to send it in yet, because he hasn't sent his in, but if I were you, I would contact Sony and see what needs to be done.

#309788 - 12/05/03 06:50 AM Re: Playstation 2 won't recognize certan games anymore...
Bubba-X Offline

Loc: Maryland
Get an XBOX!?! laugh

#309789 - 12/05/03 07:01 AM Re: Playstation 2 won't recognize certan games anymore...
MEYEX Offline

Thanks, i'll contact them today.

#309790 - 12/05/03 07:27 AM Re: Playstation 2 won't recognize certan games anymore...
oleblue Offline

Loc: Winter Park, CO
Had the same problem. Bought a new unit, it was cheaper than having the old one fixed.
If it does it again, forget Sony - cheap crap!

#309791 - 12/05/03 07:29 AM Re: Playstation 2 won't recognize certan games anymore...
MEYEX Offline

Really? ... damn don't say that. Did they say exactly what the problem was?

They gave me a sequence of steps to follow to "Auto Diagnose" the system. I'm gonna try it when I get home. Did they tell you to do the same?

#309792 - 12/05/03 07:29 AM Re: Playstation 2 won't recognize certan games anymore...
Canope Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Piracy on the High Seas type of CD perhaps? Thomas

#309793 - 12/05/03 07:36 AM Re: Playstation 2 won't recognize certan games anymore...
oleblue Offline

Loc: Winter Park, CO
Quote:

They gave me a sequence of steps to follow to "Auto Diagnose" the system. I'm gonna try it when I get home. Did they tell you to do the same?
Sony would not say anything at all except -"send the unit to service" (I would have to pay the postage too) - Local repair places would not say much either, no help, no clues as to problem.

#309794 - 12/05/03 07:37 AM Re: Playstation 2 won't recognize certan games anymore...
Guido Offline

Quote:

How old is your system? If it is still under warrenty, the most you should have to pay for is shipping.

#309795 - 12/05/03 08:30 AM Re: Playstation 2 won't recognize certan games anymore...
MEYEX Offline

I don't know exactly, but i'm sure it's over a year old. Hopefully this system diagnosis works. They say that it's supposed to reset the system's drivers.

#309796 - 12/05/03 08:38 AM Re: Playstation 2 won't recognize certan games anymore...
Guido Offline

Quote:
I don't know exactly, but i'm sure it's over a year old. Hopefully this system diagnosis works. They say that it's supposed to reset the system's drivers.
Do you think you could post the steps for the "Auto Diagnosis", if it works, so I could forward it on to my brother?

Thanks.

#309797 - 12/05/03 10:25 AM Re: Playstation 2 won't recognize certan games anymore...
MEYEX Offline

Sure no problem. I'm gonna try it when I get home. I'll post tonight as to whether or not it works.

#309798 - 12/05/03 11:27 AM Re: Playstation 2 won't recognize certan games anymore...
therob Offline

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
I have the same problem with mine. I talked to the geeks at a couple of local game stores, they told me that the first generation PS2s have this problem of not reading CDs, DVDs, and some games. So if you have a early model PS2, I had mine resereved before they came out, you will probably have this problem if you havn't already.
Mine is sitting on a shelf, and has been for about 4 months.

#309799 - 12/05/03 12:31 PM Re: Playstation 2 won't recognize certan games anymore...
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Dust.

My Xbox and PS2 have troubles with disks from time to time, a can of compressed air fixes it until the cat and dog dander builds up again.

There is also a problem with the PS2 not being able to hold a disk but that's for CD-ROM based media which has to spin faster. Dust collects on the magnetic pickups that hold the CD, so the disk doesn't spin at the correct speed.

#309800 - 12/05/03 01:07 PM Re: Playstation 2 won't recognize certan games anymore...
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
I have problems from time to time reading games when the laser gets dirty...

I was playing GTA3 one time when it was raining outside (ie: humid) with the front door open. The moist air coming in must have condensed on the lens and sucked dust onto it or something. (you may have had the same problem putting the PS2 in your truck)

Anyway, I fixed it (and have had to do so a few times since) by taping a q-tip onto a long but tiny screwdriver, sliding the CD door halfway open (with the power unplugged), dipping the q-tip in alcohol, and sticking it way in there (the screwdriver acts as a long handle for the q tip) to clean off the lens (you'll also need a flashlight to see in there).

This is probably your problem.

K.

#309801 - 12/05/03 01:16 PM Re: Playstation 2 won't recognize certan games anymore...
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I think your quote about the special olympics is pretty funny. [LOL] People need to lighten up!!! Some people bitch, complain, and cry about everything [Crybaby] ....those people need to lighten up or shut up!!! [Finger]

#309802 - 12/05/03 01:20 PM Re: Playstation 2 won't recognize certan games anymore...
PDXterra Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
...by taping a q-tip onto a long but tiny screwdriver, sliding the CD door halfway open (with the power unplugged), dipping the q-tip in alcohol, and sticking it way in there
Yegods man, you realize that Playstation Duece CD lenses are not glass, right? They are plastic... Plastic + rubbing alcohol = bad idea. NEVER put any form of iso-ANYTHING on plastic unless you expect some serious problems. That includes those retarded "CD cleaners" that are simply a brillo pad glued to a CD and some rubbing alcohol. CD lenses are VERY susceptable to scratches, be bloody careful!

#309803 - 12/05/03 04:52 PM Re: Playstation 2 won't recognize certan games anymore...
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Didn't realize that the lens was plastic (and didn't know that alcohol hurts it)..

doesn't change the fact that the dirty lens was my problem - so what do you clean it with? Water? dry q-tip?

#309804 - 12/05/03 05:11 PM Re: Playstation 2 won't recognize certan games anymore...
ddubbs77 Offline

Loc: Ohio
I had the same problem with my PS2. To fix the problem follow these steps.

1. Open PS2 from the bottom. You will need a small phillips screwdiver (eyeglass one).

2. Be carefull when pulling the top off, there is a wire thingymajigger connecting the top to the on/off switch. Don't twist it or pull on it.

3. Now take off the cover to the actual drive of the PS2.

4. I believe you should now be able to see the eye that reads the disk. If not take the remaining stuff out of the way.

5. Once the eye is available, take a Q-Tip and dip it in some alcohol (not beer) and clean off the eye.

6. Now put your PS2 back together (carefull not to mess that wire up).

7. Plug it in and try it.

I did this to mine about 6 months ago and haven't had another problem yet.

Good luck and be carefull.

#309805 - 12/05/03 05:14 PM Re: Playstation 2 won't recognize certan games anymore...
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
someone hasn't been paying attention [Laughing]

#309806 - 12/05/03 07:08 PM Re: Playstation 2 won't recognize certan games anymore...
therob Offline

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
How about Bacardi 151?
that crap will clean anything.

#309807 - 13/05/03 01:44 AM Re: Playstation 2 won't recognize certan games anymore...
Origami Gangsta Offline

Loc: Dammit! Even CLOSER to Smith a...
Thanks guys. My PS2 has been screwing up lately too. No SOCOM online for quite a few weeks now.. mad

#309808 - 14/05/03 06:14 AM Re: Playstation 2 won't recognize certan games anymore...
storm2175 Offline

Loc: Sanford N.C.
alchohol will not damage the plastic if it is a plastic eye, it is most likely made out of PP and it takes alot to damage that stuff.

#309809 - 15/05/03 08:44 AM Re: Playstation 2 won't recognize certan games anymore...
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Here's a question...

It seems most people have problems playing back blue and black games.

Anyone ever heard of a console playing those fine, but not the clear ones?
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#309810 - 15/05/03 07:17 PM Re: Playstation 2 won't recognize certan games anymore...
Southernx7 Offline

Loc: Sunny Florida
i heard dvd's actually hurt the earlier units and that there is an upgrade piece you need that was an aftermarket production about a year after ps2 release. i've had the same prob with mine, only thing i've done is taken my shop vac and put it in blower mode, turn power on ps2 open disk door then pull ac plug so door stays open, now use the blower to blow all the dust out the back of the unit, have done this twice this year.

#309811 - 15/05/03 09:08 PM Re: Playstation 2 won't recognize certan games anymore...
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
DVD is the native format for PS2 games, so I doubt they hurt them.

#309812 - 15/05/03 11:37 PM Re: Playstation 2 won't recognize certan games anymore...
Origami Gangsta Offline

Loc: Dammit! Even CLOSER to Smith a...
Quote:
Originally posted by ddubbs77:
I had the same problem with my PS2. To fix the problem follow these steps.

1. Open PS2 from the bottom. You will need a small phillips screwdiver (eyeglass one).

2. Be carefull when pulling the top off, there is a wire thingymajigger connecting the top to the on/off switch. Don't twist it or pull on it.

3. Now take off the cover to the actual drive of the PS2.

4. I believe you should now be able to see the eye that reads the disk. If not take the remaining stuff out of the way.

5. Once the eye is available, take a Q-Tip and dip it in some alcohol (not beer) and clean off the eye.

6. Now put your PS2 back together (carefull not to mess that wire up).

7. Plug it in and try it.

I did this to mine about 6 months ago and haven't had another problem yet.

Good luck and be carefull.
Dubbs, you fuckin' rule!

My PS2 is working like a charm now! Games, movies, CD's, they all run clean.

Thanks a ton man! smile cool

#309813 - 21/05/03 02:56 PM Re: Playstation 2 won't recognize certan games anymore...
ddubbs77 Offline

Loc: Ohio
Glad to here it worked. [Smoking]

#309814 - 22/05/03 06:50 AM Re: Playstation 2 won't recognize certan games anymore...
MEYEX Offline

Didn't work for me though. Even the thing Auto Diagnose that tech support suggested didn't work. I also took a can of air to it...nothing. Not sure what to do at this point.

#309815 - 26/05/03 09:17 AM Re: Playstation 2 won't recognize certan games anymore...
FinallyAnXer Offline

Loc: Bradford, PA
This may sound crazy, especially coming from someone without a PS2... however, I have heard from MANY people at work with PS2s. They have reported similiar problems and state simply inverting the PS2, to the upright position has solved some game play issues (specifically certain backed games.)

Just my $0.02.

-Jeremy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal