2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#309816 - 14/12/03 05:23 PM Best Online Music Download Site???
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know this is a bit off topic but I know I'll receive knowledgeable responses here.

I'm interested in downloading music but I haven't done so since before Napster became a pay-site. Any recommendations? I'm not only intersted in cost (!!!) but in other features that you've found particularly helpful.

Thanks

#309817 - 14/12/03 05:51 PM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Try Kazaa. Just make sure and check the box that says "keep others from viewing my shared folder". Either that or dont share files. They are starting to crack down on people downloading copywrited music for free. Click Here

#309818 - 14/12/03 05:52 PM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
CDLXterra Offline

Loc: Oregon
I use kazaa, its like napster was but doesn't cost anything. So just do a search for kazaa or kazaa lite and download it. Kazaa lite doesn't have all the spyware with it.

#309819 - 14/12/03 06:34 PM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
Devildog Offline

Just started using Dell w/musicmatch. .99 cents per song and don't have to worry about being sued/fined/jail/ass-raped. Song quality is pre-screened by dell as well. No complaints yet

#309820 - 14/12/03 06:37 PM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
MaloCS Offline

It's hard to believe that people still want to steal music on the net or (recommend to someone else to do so) in today's day and age.

I can't really tell if you are inferring about illegally downloadable music but I would subscribe to some music services like Napster, Rhapsody, Musicmatch or iTunes. For 99 cents a track I find it very useful and reasonable. Plus you are guaranteed a quality ripped track. No pops, clicks or screeches.

I use iTunes on a regular basis since I purchased an iPod. I haven't had any problems with connection or business practices. Once you create an account which includes inputing your credit card number you are ready to go, you never have to reenter any information again. Just click on the BUY NOW button and iTunes will ask you if you are positive you want to purchase the selected track. Once you confirm the purchase the download process begins. In a few minutes you will also receive an invoice in your email inbox. Very cool.

If you decide to go the illegal route just beware that Kazaa will install numerous trojans on your computer which can aid in the potential of email spam and computer viruses. Something that I am very concerned with.

#309821 - 14/12/03 06:43 PM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
Anonymous
Unregistered

For the record, Kazaa is not illegal. Legality issues arise when you download copywrited music. But even then your in a gray area. They are only attempting to prosecute those who are SHARING large amounts of copywrited material over the internet. As Malo said, its possible to get a virus from downloading on Kazaa. I recommend using the built in virus update that comes with version 2.6.

#309822 - 14/12/03 06:50 PM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
MaloCS Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron4AU:
For the record, Kazaa is not illegal. It becomes illegal if you are downloading copywrited music. As Malo said, its possible to get a virus from downloading on Kazaa. I recommend using the built in virus update that comes with version 2.6.
Aaron,

C'mon man, I know that the software itself is not illegal. But let's be honest here, what do 99% of the people using it use it for? Have you ever shared legal data with people on that network. Would you use Kazaa to distribute a work document to your other employees? I doubt it.

Even though Kazaa was created with the best of intentions it's main use is for people that want to share illegal copyrighted material with other people. YellowSCX, do yourself a favor and stay away from Kazaa. Just my opinion. Good luck.

#309823 - 14/12/03 06:59 PM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
Anonymous
Unregistered

For all you Kazaa users...Kazaa SUCKS!!! It's LOADED with Spyware and AdWare. Kazaa Lite is the only Kazaa that is worth sconsidering, but even that sucks next to LimeWire.

www.limewire.com

I've used both Kazaa and Limewire, and in my honest opinion, Limewire is a better search engine overall.

#309824 - 14/12/03 08:27 PM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Quote:
Legality issues arise when you download copywrited music. But even then your in a gray area.
It's not a gray area with regards to copyRIGHTed material. If you have the permission of the copyright owner, it's legal. If you don't, it's illegal, plain and simple.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#309825 - 14/12/03 08:32 PM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:
Quote:
[b]Legality issues arise when you download copywrited music. But even then your in a gray area.
It's not a gray area with regards to copyRIGHTed material. If you have the permission of the copyright owner, it's legal. If you don't, it's illegal, plain and simple.[/b]
The gray area I was talking about is the fact that they are only going after people who are sharing the copyrighted material. So as long as your just downloading and not sharing, your safe. For now anyways.

#309826 - 14/12/03 09:38 PM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
The gray area I was talking about is the fact that they are only going after people who are sharing the copyrighted material. So as long as your just downloading and not sharing, your safe. For now anyways.
You're an idiot.

#309827 - 14/12/03 09:49 PM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
Anonymous
Unregistered

I still don't understand how different this is from taping something off of the radio stations. We aren't paying the radio stations, but it's legal to make tapes from them?!? [Huh?]

#309828 - 14/12/03 09:58 PM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
XOC Offline
Admin

The radio stations have paid to broadcast the music.
When you download music, you are stealing it, there is no grey area, it's simply theft.

#309829 - 14/12/03 11:56 PM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
What are peoples opinions of a potential copyright violation when sharing music on a lan when every disk loaded is paid for by someone of the lan? Hypothetically, what if a company supported a music server is on its lan. The employees load music on to it from CD's but there is no connection to the interenet for swapping.

#309830 - 15/12/03 06:34 AM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
Anonymous
Unregistered

WinMX if you are on a PC. Its the besta nd you get more of a variety than Kazaa. My question to those who BUY cd's; when was the last time you bought a cd and only liked 2-3 of the songs that you paid $19.99 for? Aamazon only gives a 30 second clip of the songs they sell and that doesn't give you a good idea of what is to come. The same can be said about buying used cd's. Where does that money go? They are sold to the record store by someone and then resold to another customer. I bet the eband doesn't see any of that money. This is still a silly argument. If you want to support music, pay the $40.00 like me to go see it live, that's money well spent in my book.

#309831 - 15/12/03 06:42 AM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
XOC Offline
Admin

I really like the Google ads being served to this thread smile

Don't get Sued !

Aero Steve, the company in question would be possibly violating the law by rebroadcasting without a license, or some such thing.

Surfer, the album has been sold once, so everyone already got their profit from it, but by selling it again to someone else, everyone missed out on the profit from a sale of a new copy.

#309832 - 15/12/03 07:02 AM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'd like to have a dollar for every computer I have cleaned of Kazaa's spyware. In many cases the crap that Kazaa downloads to a computer can have it crawling for mercy.

I really like Napster's layout, their plan, and the perseverance to keep it above water. In addition, the Samsung Yepp-910GS portable MP3 player made for Napster is great. Napster's tiered subscriptions are also a nice feature for determining how much music you wish to download (and pay for). Roxio (an EXCELLENT software development company) has stepped out on a limb bringing Napster back, and have done a great job in doing so.

I'm very much in agreement with Ian regarding piracy - having been a musician, and having lots of friends who are, I can tell you its a tough business. Between recording sessions, record labels, promotional costs and management, there is little left for the creators of the entertainment you are stealing. Give them a break - you enjoy what they have created, they should be paid for it. $.99 a song? Doesn't seem a lot to me.

Xhawk

#309833 - 15/12/03 08:27 AM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
DeepSIX Offline

Loc: where no other SUV has gone be...
Check this out... [Freak]

ZDNet

Quote:
Originally posted by XHawk:
I'd like to have a dollar for every computer I have cleaned of Kazaa's spyware. In many cases the crap that Kazaa downloads to a computer can have it crawling for mercy.

I really like Napster's layout, their plan, and the perseverance to keep it above water. In addition, the Samsung Yepp-910GS portable MP3 player made for Napster is great. Napster's tiered subscriptions are also a nice feature for determining how much music you wish to download (and pay for). Roxio (an EXCELLENT software development company) has stepped out on a limb bringing Napster back, and have done a great job in doing so.

I'm very much in agreement with Ian regarding piracy - having been a musician, and having lots of friends who are, I can tell you its a tough business. Between recording sessions, record labels, promotional costs and management, there is little left for the creators of the entertainment you are stealing. Give them a break - you enjoy what they have created, they should be paid for it. $.99 a song? Doesn't seem a lot to me.

Xhawk

A man is not complete until he is married, then he is finished... -Locals

#309834 - 15/12/03 09:15 AM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
MaloCS Offline

Also, I just heard that WalMart is planning an online music service that will undercut the existing services by 20 cents or so per track.

That's 79 cents a track. BRING IT ON laugh

#309835 - 15/12/03 09:58 AM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Best Buy already has an online music download service started. It has a $9 monthly fee(I think) and you can get the software from free from Best Buy. You may want to check that out as well.

#309836 - 15/12/03 10:15 AM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
XOC Offline
Admin

Interesting article on ZDNet. Leave it to the Canadians not to understand that if you're downloading a file, someone, somewhere, had to upload it first. As the file is being transfered, it is being uploaded to the pirate.

#309837 - 18/12/03 08:00 AM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've been away from my computer for a couple of days and was pleased to see so many responses.

To be clear, I'm looking for a pay-site because I don't want all of the hassles that come with anything else.

A buddy of mine suggested Limewire, and I looked at Napster, but it seems to me that there must be one out there that is better than the rest - or maybe not.

Thanks again.

#309838 - 18/12/03 10:56 AM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
Anonymous
Unregistered

I chose Napster because of the name recognition (OK, so it doesn't really matter, but its good to have the oldest, most experienced players backing up the service), ease of use and flexible pricing.

In addition, Roxio's (they bought Napster) software is top-notch.

My suggestion would be to try each in turn for a month, then choose the one you like. My suspicion is that there will be price wars, and many of the players entering the market will go out of it just as quickly. Roxio/Napster should be around about as long as any of them.

Good luck!

#309839 - 18/12/03 11:14 AM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's not even close. iTunes rules.

#309840 - 18/12/03 11:20 AM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
Valter Offline

Loc: Harrisburg PA
I use Itunes as well. It's really easy to use. [ThumbsUp]

#309841 - 18/12/03 11:35 AM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
Mapman Offline

Loc: Crystal Lake, IL
If you like live music from bands such as the Grateful Dead, Phish, SCI, DMB, etc. There is a peer-2-peer software that is called Furthernet. This is entirely FREE and entirely LEGAL. The reason it's legal is because it only allows bands that allow live recordings of their shows. This really is only for the JamBands style of music, but occasionally you can find some cool shows that aren't in that genre...

http://www.furthurnet.com/

http://midwestxterraowners.com/

#309842 - 18/12/03 12:57 PM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
electrobuzz Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally posted by MaloCS:
Also, I just heard that WalMart is planning an online music service that will undercut the existing services by 20 cents or so per track.

That's 79 cents a track. [b]BRING IT ON
laugh [/b]
It's live now:
Wally World Music
At 88 cents a song, that's still not bad. You may download music to one computer and can back up to up to two additional computers; ten burns to a CD and unlimited transfers to portable players. It is for Windows PC's only, however.

#309843 - 18/12/03 01:27 PM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
XOC Offline
Admin

Game Over

Wal*Mart wins.

Better price, no annoying software to download and install, no hidden services watching you.

They recommend Windows Media Player 9, but it works fine with my old version 6.4.

#309844 - 18/12/03 01:29 PM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
XOC Offline
Admin

Oops, maybe not.
Albums with explicit lyrics aren't available. Damn religious fanatics.

#309845 - 18/12/03 07:23 PM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
Mobycat Offline

What's the quality of WMA's when they are encoded back to audio files?
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#309846 - 18/12/03 07:29 PM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
superjens Offline

Loc: North Vancouver
Quote:
What's the quality of WMA's when they are encoded back to audio files?
This question doesn't make sense. A .wma is an audio file. Just as a .mp3 or .ogg or .wav or whatever else is.

#309847 - 18/12/03 07:46 PM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
Mobycat Offline

What I mean is, if it's converted back to audio CD. Not data.

#309848 - 18/12/03 07:51 PM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Quote:
[b]The gray area I was talking about is the fact that they are only going after people who are sharing the copyrighted material. So as long as your just downloading and not sharing, your safe. For now anyways.
You're an idiot.[/b]
Is it possible for you to disagree without attacking me? Did I say or do somthing to offend you or are you just always an asshole to new members?

#309849 - 18/12/03 07:55 PM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
superjens Offline

Loc: North Vancouver
Quote:
What I mean is, if it's converted back to audio CD. Not data.
Oh. I think it's "good".

http://ekei.com/audio/

#309850 - 18/12/03 08:58 PM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
off2cjb Offline

Quote:
Oops, maybe not.
It isn't just religious fanatics that want to raise our children properly Ian.

#309851 - 18/12/03 09:03 PM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
Mobycat Offline

They also aren't carrying Sheryl Crow's song that critizes Wally World.

#309852 - 18/12/03 09:04 PM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
Anonymous
Unregistered

never understood why walmart wont sell music with explicit lyrics yet they sell R rated movies with nudity and foul language. Kind of a double standard there.

#309853 - 18/12/03 09:49 PM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Is it possible for you to disagree without attacking me?
I wasn't disagreeing with you. You were stating false information, and several people tried to explain it to you, but you wouldn't listen. The RIAA is going after anyone stealing music, not just people serving it.

#309854 - 19/12/03 12:36 PM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
Anonymous
Unregistered

I stay away from all those file swapping sites...it's just bad news.

If you like indie/alternative music, the best place to pick up FREE and LEGAL MP3s is http://www.epitonic.com . I could spend days on this Website.

I did hear that iTunes is great, although I have not had a chance to check it out yet. If you like Phish, try http://www.livephish.com for some great downloads.

-dp [Smoking]

#309855 - 19/12/03 12:50 PM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I like Itunes, good interface.

#309856 - 19/12/03 02:02 PM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
lemsip Offline

Loc: Lakewood, CO
I use Soulseek. I don't listen to music on shite multinational record labels, so I don't fear their wrath. The music I steal is mostly rips of tapes from raves in the early 90's. Neither the records nor the tapes are for sale new, so I dont think I am depriving anyone of their income.

#309857 - 19/12/03 02:05 PM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
lemsip Offline

Loc: Lakewood, CO
Quote:
Originally posted by off2cjb:
Quote:
[b]Oops, maybe not.
It isn't just religious fanatics that want to raise our children properly Ian.[/b]
No, its just religious fanatics that think raising children requires shielding them from conflicitng values.

#309858 - 21/12/03 05:59 AM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
Toy Man Offline

Loc: Beaverton Oregon
Yes - it is illegal thanks to the DMCA - the best law money can buy.

Do I give a rats ass? No.

Will I download free music? Yes.
(of course in my case, that's about 1 song every 6 months)

Toy Man

#309859 - 21/12/03 03:15 PM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
Originally posted by Toy Man:
Yes - it is illegal thanks to the DMCA - the best law money can buy.
I was illeagle before the DMCA. Stealing is stealing

Quote:
Do I give a rats ass? No.
Well at lease you are honest.

Quote:
Will I download free music? Yes.
(of course in my case, that's about 1 song every 6 months)
Again, theft is theft. It's not free music (well, most of it anyway). Rationalize it however you want, it's still theft.

#309860 - 21/12/03 08:00 PM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
Anonymous
Unregistered

I use Bear Share. Bear Share You can get some many matches off each and every search. Just a suggestion.

#309861 - 22/12/03 06:30 AM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
Toy Man Offline

Loc: Beaverton Oregon
Quote:
I was illeagle before the DMCA. Stealing is stealing
Well rather than get into a pissing fight over this, lets come at it from another view.

I think any law that criminalizes a large segment of it's population is going to have a tough time being inforced, especially given the ease of sharing via the net.

Everyone has to determine how they will live their lives. The legality of music sharing is not something I spend much time worrying about.

An excellent 'non-denominational' web site for intellectual property rights info is IP news

Toy Man

#309862 - 22/12/03 03:43 PM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
Mobycat Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Toy Man:
An excellent 'non-denominational' web site for intellectual property rights info is IP news
Better yet, why not go to the main source?

US Copyright Office

#309863 - 22/12/03 04:46 PM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
Anonymous
Unregistered

I swear to God...I wasn't stealing it....I was borrowing it!! I promise to put it back on the internet when I'm done!! HONEST!!! wink

#309864 - 22/12/03 04:57 PM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
sandmanX Offline

Loc: Ridgecrest California

#309865 - 23/12/03 07:11 AM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
Chris Mc Offline

Loc: St Charles, MO
Here's a great review of all the online music stores/services. It really tells you which one is best based on your needs. This is assuming you're bright enough to respect the laws governing copyrighted material.

#309866 - 23/12/03 08:01 AM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
TremorX Offline

Loc: Waycross, GA
http://www.neo-modus.com/

Direct Connect... plenty of public hubs and still well under the RIAA's radar for now.

Remember! Only download what you've already purchased!

#309867 - 31/12/03 10:30 PM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Check out mIRC.

http://www.mirc.com/

#309868 - 01/01/04 08:53 AM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally posted by Toy Thief -
Quote:
I think any law that criminalizes a large segment of it's population is going to have a tough time being inforced, especially given the ease of sharing via the net.
So, this is your justification for stealing other peoples' property - because it will be tough to enforce the laws??

Geez, good thinking dude. We all should think like that, and just dive into total anarchy.

What a jerk.

#309869 - 12/01/04 04:53 PM Re: Best Online Music Download Site???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
[b]The gray area I was talking about is the fact that they are only going after people who are sharing the copyrighted material. So as long as your just downloading and not sharing, your safe. For now anyways.
You're an idiot.[/b]
Sorry to bring this back up but here's proof that the RIAA is specifically targeting those uploading and sharing large amounts of copyrighted music. I got insulted for mentioning this and it lingered with me.

who\'s the idiot now?

this webpage will also let you search to find out if your ip address is being targeted by the RIAA.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal