2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#309925 - 17/05/05 11:20 AM adding aux input to 05 SE w/ Rockford Fosgate
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just got an 05 Xterra SE w/the RF 6CD changer. Does anyone know if it's possible to add an aux input to the head unit? I know there's a place in the back to add the factory satellite radio, but is it possible to somehow adapt that into an aux input? I'd like to be able to plug my iPod in via a mini-plug, as opposed to FM modulation. I also want to keep my steering wheel controls, so a new headunit isn't really what I want.

#309926 - 17/05/05 11:27 AM Re: adding aux input to 05 SE w/ Rockford Fosgate
Anonymous
Unregistered

No, you cannot convert the sat port into an aux port. In fact, I'm not too sure what you can do. Sorry.

#309927 - 23/05/05 12:21 AM Re: adding aux input to 05 SE w/ Rockford Fosgate
Anonymous
Unregistered

You have to do what I do, get an alpine deck for the wife with the adapter, and put the ipod in her vehicle :p
6 MP3 disc's isnt bad

#309928 - 23/05/05 01:53 PM Re: adding aux input to 05 SE w/ Rockford Fosgate
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have seen SAT to Aux adapters for a 350Z ... Im sure someone is working on one for the Xterra. It's a shame because the stock fosgate system in the 2005 sounds pretty good... I really don't want to spend the money to replace it. However... I really miss having my ipod in the car. :-(

#309929 - 24/05/05 06:41 AM Re: adding aux input to 05 SE w/ Rockford Fosgate
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the reply on the SAT to Aux adapter for the Z. Gives me some hope.

#309930 - 25/06/05 04:38 PM Re: adding aux input to 05 SE w/ Rockford Fosgate
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just to update those who might be interested, the PAC AII-NIS adapter that works with other Nissan and Infiniti vehicles works perfectly with the 05 X w/ Rockford Fosgate system.

#309931 - 26/06/05 01:14 AM Re: adding aux input to 05 SE w/ Rockford Fosgate
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gerver, could U please give me a small brief detail in what was involved in this set up? I myself would like to play my ipod without the itrip. And where do I get this adapter from. Thanks!

#309932 - 26/06/05 06:56 PM Re: adding aux input to 05 SE w/ Rockford Fosgate
Anonymous
Unregistered

As long as you have the Rockford Fosgate headunit, this is a monkey-easy install.

Obviously, you need to buy the PAC AAI-NIS adapter.(Just Google it, and you'll find any number of vendors willing to sell it to you. Cost me about 70 bucks.) From there all you need to do is open up the dash, get behind the HU and shove the adapter plugs in the back of the HU. If you need instructions, they're included, but this is really as simple as plugging in.

The AAI-NIS has two sets of RCA jacks on it, so you get two aux inputs. Just get an RCA to 3.5mm cable (you can get these anywhere from Radio Shack to Walmart) and run that from the adapter to somewhere outside the dash. I have mine run to the little tray underneath the VDC button panel.

Selecting the aux input is controlled through the HU, making for a nicely integrated package.

If you need help pulling out the dash panel, I know there's a post somewhere on this board showing how to do that. It's very simple.

Before getting the AAI-NIS, I had a hardwired FM modulator installed to get the aux input, and let me tell you; it can't hold a candle to the sound quality of a direct connection. It's a HUGE improvement. I have an XM Roady2 and my Ipod hooked up, and I couldn't be happier.

#309933 - 27/06/05 07:35 AM Re: adding aux input to 05 SE w/ Rockford Fosgate
Anonymous
Unregistered

i did some reading on this unit and i am a bit confused. do you lose your radio presets? as i understand it, aux1 is controlled by preset A, aux2 is preset B, and preset C (AM stations) is not used. although i would love to have an ipod in the truck, i don't want to lose the radio.

thanks

#309934 - 27/06/05 05:03 PM Re: adding aux input to 05 SE w/ Rockford Fosgate
Anonymous
Unregistered

No, you do not lose your presets. You simply get a new "SR" (satellite radio) option as you cycle through the presets. It will bring up FM stations, then SR, then AM presets as you hit the presets button.

#309935 - 27/06/05 05:20 PM Re: adding aux input to 05 SE w/ Rockford Fosgate
Anonymous
Unregistered

I should say that the radio will cycle as above as you press th Radio button. Sorry.

#309936 - 27/06/05 05:22 PM Re: adding aux input to 05 SE w/ Rockford Fosgate
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Gerver, I called up PAC today and they said that the Xterra RF has not yet been tested. I assume you just took a gamble and hoped that the SAT inputs were the same across the board for all Nissan vehicles.

For your ipod, you still use the clickwheel, correct? Or did you get the AUX-POD that allows you to use your steering wheel controls? Does the NIS charge the ipod simulaniously?

Thanks

#309937 - 27/06/05 05:37 PM Re: adding aux input to 05 SE w/ Rockford Fosgate
Anonymous
Unregistered

I got the same story from PAC when I emailed them. I read somewhere that it worked with the 05 Frontier, which offers the exact same HU. (You'll notice on PAC's website that they've since added the Fronty to their compatiblity list) So yeah, I took a calculated risk, but I was pretty sure it would work.

The adapter only offers the inputs, not specific support for the Ipod. I have the little wired remote you can buy for the ipod, so I use that and the clickwheel. I also bought the Belkin car lighter adapter, which includes an integrated amp for the ipod, so I can charge it and greatly improve the sound quality.

To clean up all the wires, I ran the audio cable from the dash, along the center console, and up into the console storage area, and into the belkin adapter is plugged into the lighter outlet. It's not a flawless job, but it works great for me without drilling holes, etc.

#309938 - 27/06/05 06:20 PM Re: adding aux input to 05 SE w/ Rockford Fosgate
Anonymous
Unregistered

cool, thanks for clearing that up. gerver, do you have any pics of the install? i would be interested in seeing what you did. looks like i have some money to spend laugh

thanks

#309939 - 27/06/05 08:12 PM Re: adding aux input to 05 SE w/ Rockford Fosgate
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just bought an '04 with the RF system and im sure it'll work as well.. cool deal, ill definitely hit up this mod soon. great info, thanks!

#309940 - 28/06/05 12:22 AM Re: adding aux input to 05 SE w/ Rockford Fosgate
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by gerver:

Before getting the AAI-NIS, I had a hardwired FM modulator installed to get the aux input,
Gerver, U been very helpful and so far I have followed your instruction well. However, could U break it down to me regarding the hardwired FM modulator? I have never been an expert in auto sound system but I dont fear taking it apart. Also, I have the Sirius Sat Radio (factory). Will this create a problem for me or do I just shut up and follow your instruction as U mentioned? Thanks in advance!

#309941 - 28/06/05 06:34 AM Re: adding aux input to 05 SE w/ Rockford Fosgate
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry JayZ, no pics. I didn't really think about it, since it's such a simple install.

Tierra, sorry to say it, but with the factory Satellite radio, you can't use the AAI-NIS. It uses the same jack in the headunit as the factory SAT receiver, so you can't have both.

As for the FM modulator, it taps into the wire that runs between your FM antenna and your HU. You set the modulator to a certain unused FM station, so when you set the FM radio to that station, the modulator cuts the signal from the antenna and "broadcasts" its own information. It works fairly well, but the sound quality is only about as good as your average FM radio station. Plus there is some residual static from time to time.

#309942 - 28/06/05 09:51 AM Re: adding aux input to 05 SE w/ Rockford Fosgate
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by gerver:
Tierra, sorry to say it, but with the factory Satellite radio, you can't use the AAI-NIS. It uses the same jack in the headunit as the factory SAT receiver, so you can't have both.

Thats not what I wanted to hear.
[Crybaby]
But thanks for your info regrading installation of ipod. U really broke it down neatly 4 me in plain english. U R the man! [ThumbsUp]

#309943 - 28/06/05 10:42 AM Re: adding aux input to 05 SE w/ Rockford Fosgate
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gerver, this is some of the best news I've come across yet. 5 trucks for you!

#309944 - 28/06/05 11:29 AM Re: adding aux input to 05 SE w/ Rockford Fosgate
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Maverick_7, if you try this mod with your 04, please post how it worked out. I'm sure everyone would love to know!

#309945 - 28/06/05 12:12 PM Re: adding aux input to 05 SE w/ Rockford Fosgate
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks, skepticon! I knew I wasn't the only one out there wanting aux inputs. Glad I could help.

#309946 - 28/06/05 03:59 PM Re: adding aux input to 05 SE w/ Rockford Fosgate
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobby B.:
Hey Maverick_7, if you try this mod with your 04, please post how it worked out. I'm sure everyone would love to know!
no prob.. ill probably order it next week, and install it whenever i get it. We'll see how it goes. If it works I expect mini-trucks too. laugh

#309947 - 30/06/05 06:25 AM Re: adding aux input to 05 SE w/ Rockford Fosgate
Anonymous
Unregistered

BTW...they're right. If you care about scratches in your plastic, make sure you tape off the area around the AC controls, or at least put some tape over the metal clips. I scratched the hell out of mine last night because I didn't bother with this step.
Cosmetics aside, this solution works great.
Thanks again.

#309948 - 01/07/05 01:06 PM Re: adding aux input to 05 SE w/ Rockford Fosgate
Anonymous
Unregistered

I installed the AAI-NIS and it works like a champ. I already had the XM Commander installed and I was using the built-in FM modulator. Now with the new unit I have the XM Commander and my ipod mini hooked up direct. I ran the wire from the AAI-NIS through the dash and under the gear shift console and up near the passenger seat. The only exposed wire is from the ipod to carpeted area right next to the seat.
I bought the Belkin TuneDok to hold my mini in the cupholder. For the ipod cable, I used Monster's ICable and for the XM, I used a Dual Twist RCA cable. Install was easier than I thought.

Thanks gerver for giving us the heads up on the SAT to AUX adapter.

#309949 - 01/07/05 01:27 PM Re: adding aux input to 05 SE w/ Rockford Fosgate
Anonymous
Unregistered

The 04 and the 03 have the same RF systems dont they? How did maverick make out?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal