2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#313318 - 16/10/04 08:46 PM alternator/battery question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Seriously, I did search...and found some information. One thing that I saw in a post is that an Optima Blue top is the same as the Yellow top? Right?

I am installing my winch this weekend and I have a couple questions.

(1) does yellow top = blue top?
(2) will a stock alternator handle the new battery(I do not have the "sport" package)
(3) or will the stock set up be good for a while

I don't want to really take any chances on my X crapping out on me if I'm in the process of using my winch

A little more info...I have a stock stereo (no amps) and no accessory offroad lights (yet)...basically nothing other than stock that would be drawing anything from my battery other than my CB.

#313319 - 16/10/04 09:07 PM Re: alternator/battery question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Also, which model number of the yellow top of the two large ones pictured here

#313320 - 16/10/04 09:36 PM Re: alternator/battery question
Anonymous
Unregistered

The big one on it's side, on the left. It appears to have the correct post configuration for your existing batter cables.

I wouldn't worry too much about the alternator, as you're not going to be using your winch every day. Like you said, you don't have anything else that's going to be a massive tax on the system.

If you decided that you did want to go with a stronger alternator, then a Mean Green alternator would be the best choice.

#313321 - 16/10/04 09:46 PM Re: alternator/battery question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cyclemut...thanks for the quick reply. My biggest worry was the alternator. I'm eventually going to replace it w/ the Mean Green alt. b/c I do plan on adding other things.

I'm glad you're on this board.

#313322 - 16/10/04 10:09 PM Re: alternator/battery question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Actually, I just looked at that site, where you got the picture from, and looked at the specs.

The DC750U has the dual posts, so that would be better for the winch setup. One setup would be for the stock cables, the other posts could be used to connect the winch. Just need to get the connectors for the GM style of posts, and you'd be all set up.

Otherwise, they appear to be exactly the same.

Sorry, I didn't catch that earlier.

#313323 - 16/10/04 10:24 PM Re: alternator/battery question
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks yet again!!!

#313324 - 17/10/04 08:42 AM Re: alternator/battery question
Anonymous
Unregistered

I did a lengthy post on this some time back.
Not all Blue Tops are marine or deep cycle like the Yellow Top. They do have a Blue Top version that is a Starting battery, which would be the equivalent of a Red Top. I have that particular Blue Top in my vehicle because I do NOT want a Deep cycle as my starting battery. I use a deep cycle for my audio-secondary battery, but not to physically start the Xterra.

#313325 - 17/10/04 11:15 AM Re: alternator/battery question
Anonymous
Unregistered

is there a cheaper alternator than a Mean Green One?

#313326 - 17/10/04 05:16 PM Re: alternator/battery question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Doyle:
I did a lengthy post on this some time back.
Not all Blue Tops are marine or deep cycle like the Yellow Top. They do have a Blue Top version that is a Starting battery, which would be the equivalent of a Red Top. I have that particular Blue Top in my vehicle because I do NOT want a Deep cycle as my starting battery. I use a deep cycle for my audio-secondary battery, but not to physically start the Xterra.
What's wrong w/ having a Deep Cycle for a starting battery (please excuse this probably obvious question, but I know nothing about electrical stuff)?

But I went out today and bought a YellowTop...and it says on a label that it is a
Deep Cycle/Starting Battery

#313327 - 17/10/04 06:32 PM Re: alternator/battery question
Anonymous
Unregistered

All batteries can develop a memory.

The theory is that a deep cycle battery is specifically designed to be almost fully drained in order to keep it's deep cycle memory. When using it as a starter battery (especially on a vehicle that starts up quickly like the X) it doesn't get fully drained before getting charged back up.

Reality of the situation is that normal batteries also don't get fully drained before charging either. So it's not really a big deal. And you can be satisfied with the knowledge that the battery will hold up better if you happen to leave the lights on overnight a couple of times. It won't hurt the battery.

Some deep cycle/starter batteries are also used in diesel engine applications where they end up cranking for a bit, or have a massive drain on the system to start up.

I wouldn't worry about it. You did good. Be happy with it, because your still ahead of a lot of folks here.

#313328 - 17/10/04 06:59 PM Re: alternator/battery question
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm glad that some people on here still want to give good information when a question is asked.

#313329 - 17/10/04 09:48 PM Re: alternator/battery question
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's what I do.

#313330 - 18/10/04 10:41 AM Re: alternator/battery question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Some good reading Here!

#313331 - 18/10/04 05:24 PM Re: alternator/battery question
Southernx7 Offline

Loc: Sunny Florida
been running an Optima for a year and a half with no problems.....oh, and i have a warn 9.5 winch that when trail riding or camping seems to get used daily. i do have lights and amps and everything else you can put on these things but really do you run them all at once? i doubt you'll be winching with all your lights on, stereo booming(future if you get an amp, you know what i mean. be glad you got one and don't worry about negative people. wink

#313332 - 18/10/04 06:33 PM Re: alternator/battery question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by southernx7:
been running an Optima for a year and a half with no problems.....oh, and i have a warn 9.5 winch that when trail riding or camping seems to get used daily. i do have lights and amps and everything else you can put on these things but really do you run them all at once? i doubt you'll be winching with all your lights on, stereo booming(future if you get an amp, you know what i mean. be glad you got one and don't worry about negative people. wink
Are you still running on your stock alternator?

Quote:
Some good reading Here!
Thanks Xtopher, that's very informative

#313333 - 18/10/04 06:49 PM Re: alternator/battery question
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have the stock alternator, same bumper & winch and a heavy duty Interstate battery with no problems.

#313334 - 18/10/04 07:43 PM Re: alternator/battery question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Crap! I just hooked up my sound system
-1000 Watt RMS amp
- 0 guage wiring

My friend and I don't know if it's just because the system needs to break in for a week, or if the stock alternator really sucks. The point is that the sub is getting nothing, it's not geting at all enough power. Is their anyway to get the Mean Grean Alternator cheap? Also, is the stock alternator internally regulated?

#313335 - 18/10/04 08:50 PM Re: alternator/battery question
Anonymous
Unregistered

I assume you have it fused?
1kw rms can draw well over 100 amps for a decent bass thump.. Keep in mind the stock alternator doesn't generate that much juice, let alone at idle. just for kicks, hook up a volt meter, and watch your battery voltage with the radio cranked up (after you figure why it is not working).
If the voltage drops much below 13 with the engine running, you gave issues. I would also put in a "super cap" to help absorb the power spikes the amp will be causing. Put the cap as close as possible to the amp, and follow the instructions for precharging it before you hook it into the power system. They also fraw well over 100 amps if you hook them up "cold" (as in discharged) You need to "warm them up" (has nothing to do with temp, more that you didn't pull it out of the package, and shove it in the truck) with about a 1 ohm resister, 20watt range, and hold it with pliers, till the voltage is within 500 to 1000mv is your battery voltage. if the fuse ever blows, or you disconnect the battery, you have to precharge the cap again, or spend a hundred dollars on fuses, till it charges itself.

#313336 - 18/10/04 09:15 PM Re: alternator/battery question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Alpine Spirit:
I have the stock alternator, same bumper & winch and a heavy duty Interstate battery with no problems.
thanks alot...just what I wanted to know

#313337 - 18/10/04 09:39 PM Re: alternator/battery question
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks alot Xtopher for the info, but I think that I'm just going to get a Mean Grean Alternator. It'd cost some 350, but get the job done, and ready for future upgrades.

#313338 - 19/10/04 01:47 PM Re: alternator/battery question
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is what I was refering to..
Even if you put in a new alt (I would do it. You are going to want it) still put one of these in. It will help the amp.. They are good for large >1kw inverters also!

#313339 - 19/10/04 02:51 PM Re: alternator/battery question
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll think about it after I get the alternator, but thanks for the pics and everything!

#313340 - 24/10/04 03:27 PM Re: alternator/battery question
Anonymous
Unregistered

I put my YellowTop in this weekend, had to add a couple (a LOT) of washers to the stock tie down rods to make it sturdy....will probably cut a pipe to replace them eventually.

#313341 - 24/10/04 05:51 PM Re: alternator/battery question
gmaxis Offline

Loc: America's Finest city
I remember a discussion here a while back about alternators. You may want to consider an alternator from an older Nissan Quest which a local junkyard may carry.

#313342 - 24/10/04 06:43 PM Re: alternator/battery question
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
99+ has the 125 amp unit that is also a nearly ideal fit. The older one is 110 amps and requires a little work to adapt. You'll need to upgrade the main fuseable link accordingly.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal