2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#316291 - 18/01/04 09:33 AM Woodburning Stove in the garage...
tcdesign Offline

Loc: Hudson, WI
I'm about to go pick one up, but my wife is nervous that we need a permit, or that our homeowners insurance might drop us or something. Anyone else have one in their garage? I'm just planning on getting a small one from Fleet Farm or Northern Tool. Do I need some sort of barrier between it and the wall - like a cinderblock wall or something?

There's no way I can work on the truck in this weather. I was planning on working on it all day today, but Oh!, it's only 6 below out. That means its about 10 above in the garage. The heaters I have out there are only good for thawing my hands after they've gotten too cold to move.

Thoughts?

-Tim

#316292 - 18/01/04 09:55 AM Re: Woodburning Stove in the garage...
bn300 Offline

Loc: Buffalo, MN
I would go with a propane or kerosene type heater. 40,000 BTU should suffice.
Much safer and you won't have to cut a hole in your garage. Another good thing to do is insulate your garage, including the door.
Carlton? Got any input? You have to go outside sometime! Carlton? smile

#316293 - 18/01/04 10:29 AM Re: Woodburning Stove in the garage...
racso Offline

Loc: evansville
If you go with a wood burner, you need to have a separate concrete pad to set it on, it also needs to be atleast 3 feet from any wall, sides and rear. Also you need to vent it through the roof or side like BN300 said. Very nice to have, but a pain in the butt chopping wood and all that.

Propane is just as nice, but you need a good vent in the garage. Kerosene is very stinky and lots of soot. I have a 250,000 btu propane heater and once the tank gets about half empty you get alot of fumes, I don't like it. I would go with the wood burner. Wood is cheap and always around. [ThumbsUp]

#316294 - 18/01/04 11:38 AM Re: Woodburning Stove in the garage...
tcdesign Offline

Yeah, I thought about propane or natural gas, but there used to be a stove in there, so there's already a hole in the roof (with a patch over it), and we have tons of wood and branches sitting on our property that I would just have to break up.

#316295 - 18/01/04 12:44 PM Re: Woodburning Stove in the garage...
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
If I had a garage large enough to work on my truck in :p I would get a radiant heater like this (click me).

They work by radiating the heat instead of trying to heat the air - it's instant, efficient and even heat. If you have a steady supply of wood, then a wood stove can make sense, but having lots of wood is key....

#316296 - 18/01/04 02:17 PM Re: Woodburning Stove in the garage...
tcdesign Offline

Well, I ended up getting a convection kerosene heater at northern tool. My wife ended up giving the thumbs down to the stove. I have a smaller radiant heater already in there, and this new one heats up to 1000 sq. ft., so it should do the job - and it was 20% off. [ThumbsUp]

Moderator:  Mapman 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal