2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#320182 - 31/07/06 05:34 PM You wanna' wheel? Let's get it on!
Anonymous
Unregistered

PAYETTE DRAW LINKY
Here're some pics from recent adventures-
(You may recognize the last two as former AZXC'ers Shanna O'Brien and Travis Curry. The guy in the monster Frontier's Terrence of N4W also.)

[img]http://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=85817&stc=1&d=1154278632[/img]

Here's a link to some other pics which wouldn't show up for some reason, but you can see what it looks like when it's wet laugh
HIGHERGROUND4x4 PICS LINKY

#320183 - 01/08/06 11:24 PM Re: You wanna' wheel? Let's get it on!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I thought this was an invitation to wheel. Apparently it's an invitation to look at some perverted pictures of getting it on action. I'm not sure I approve. In fact I am simply disgusted. Travis's truck is revealing far too much cleavage to be tasteful for xoc. Out of line guys...Out of line..

#320184 - 12/08/06 10:59 PM Re: You wanna' wheel? Let's get it on!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I left Surprise this am w/ Scott (DefibTV) about 7. We pulled into Payson and were greeted by a healthy mix of lifted XJ (Jeep Cherocars) and Nissans from SWANKy. There was also a nice CJ too. We left and dropped into a wooded canyon, led by Dennis (Alacran). Those who wanted to set up camp, we worked on Mike's (Thanatoz) truck a while and headed out to the trail. The first part of the trail (lower Payette Draw) is awesome! A wash in the middle of a heavily wooded forrest, w/ giant slabs of limestone (studded w/ geodes) for the washbottom. Most of this was covered in a thin layer of either mud, water, or both which made for slippery traction all day. There were shelves to climb up, rocks to pivot around (gotta' love armor), things everywhere to get high centered on.. This part is one of my favorite trails for sure. It reminds me very much of some great wheeling in Colorado. There were a couple of blown tires (ripped sidewalls), a U-joint kablooey (which led to a driveshaft whoopsadaisy), and a wierd non-starting Jeep thing (I still don't get it..). Then we got to the Upper Draw. This is where the final obstacle "Filter" is, and it proved to be more than my truck could handle. To get to Filter, you must first get up a 3-4 foot shelf. Easier said than done as one side has been torn down allowing almost a ramp up, if you chose the right line. Others (Dennis, Terrence, U-joint guy) chose to hit the 4 footer head on. Dennis was the first to winch himself up, Terrence walked up :rolleyes: , and U-joint guy, well, he was just guy in the jeep before his attempt at the wall. Brett was the first up the ramp in his fullsize, badass K5 Blazer. He had a whacky line and ended up crawling the front driver side up a 2-3 foot escarpment which he then had to keep his wheel on several yards until he could get the front end down again. Then Ben went up in his 100 Series Landcruiser, making it look easy, with solid axles. So I took my turn, made it look good for us IFS guys too laugh Eventually, we were all up and as the washbottom became increasingly more gnarly to traverse, we knew something big was around the bend [Uh Oh !] . Dennis led the way to Filter, and with the help of Eric (CJ) and me, he drove to where he could go no further than winched himself up a very daunting obstacle. Filter's not so bad in that it's too tippy, or steep. It's hard to even get to the damned thing as there's a series of steps before it, and 33's barely got me onto them. But when you get to the spot before Filter, you realize there's a 8-10 foot drop immmediately to your passenger side into a 8-10 foot deep water filled hole, and the 3 foot ledge you need to get up to start winching yourself, will only pitch you to the right if your not clearanced properly. Then, if you can get your front up, the task of driving at 35* on two broken rock slabs pitched to the giant waterhole on the right is followed only by a second set of 3 foot sheer faces of rock. For me, it was necessary to stack rocks to get my front up, but that never happened. [Huh?] Why, you may be wondering? What is it that kept your fearless leader from being perhaps the first IFS rig ever to winch up this monstrosity? It was my frigging bumper. Without bigger tires (33s just wouldn't cut it here). I just couldn't get the bumper past the first shelves to get the tires rolling. In fact, as I sat there trying to work the winch in unison w/ driving and not dropping the truck in the sink, it was noted the winch was actually pulling the truck so hard into the rocks the bumper was contorting. I gave it several good tries, but good friends and members of the AZXC, I regrettfully inform you, I was unable to winch up Filter frown . Nothing to be ashamed of, just not the right setup for an obstacle like that. I needed bigger tires for sure, they'd have surely superceded the approach angle issue. Nothing else really would've mattered. Gears, lockers, it just wouldn't matter if you can't get your front tires up the first ledges to begin winching. A couple others winched up after me, kudos to them. Make no mistake either, you cannot drive up Filter, you must winch. Soo, I've resigned to come back SAS'd and punish the rocks. While they were kind to me today ( I broke only a plastic wheel cap), I feel I was bested, and I do not accept defeat well wink . I respect the rocks and look forward to our next encounter.

Not that any of them'll see this here, but I wanted to say thanks again to all those out today who made this an incredible trailrun and an instant favorite memory for me. Jeeps, Toyotas, one big bad K5, and of course our Nissans, all wheeling together, all giving it our best shots. Today is what this sport is all about [ThumbsUp] .
[Smoking]

LINK TO GUMYBOBS PICS ON N4W

#320185 - 14/08/06 07:24 AM Re: You wanna' wheel? Let's get it on!
Anonymous
Unregistered

So this is the End...

Sorry you couldn't make that one. Glad you all had fun. Wish I had the mods, etc. to tackle that one.

#320186 - 15/08/06 12:35 PM Re: You wanna' wheel? Let's get it on!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wanted to make the trip, but had to work. Now, I know my X would not have had a chance towards the end. My time will...oh yes....my time will come.

#320187 - 15/08/06 02:52 PM Re: You wanna' wheel? Let's get it on!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wonder what you could do with a set of 6' sand ramps....Hmmmm.

#320188 - 15/08/06 02:58 PM Re: You wanna' wheel? Let's get it on!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'dve settled for 35's and a couple of choice rocks.. smile

#320189 - 17/08/06 02:11 PM Re: You wanna' wheel? Let's get it on!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Looks pretty killer dude...

#320190 - 17/08/06 08:20 PM Re: You wanna' wheel? Let's get it on!
Anonymous
Unregistered

My ride is definitely not there... it's this whole money thing... anyone know of any good trees where you can find the stuff? :rolleyes:

#320191 - 31/08/06 07:06 PM Re: You wanna' wheel? Let's get it on!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just spoke to Lindsays Cousin Chris with the Lifted XJ. He was out with you that day too, he was the one who almost lost his rear end going up this ledge smile

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal