2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#323249 - 20/07/07 08:04 AM Trail Conditions - Backroad to Crown King?
MadManX Offline

Loc: Maricopa, AZ
UPDATE: SEE BELOW FOR TRIP DETAILS (For 07/22/07)

So I've heard way to many trail ratings for this trail. Can a stock truck make it?

I want to test out all the skids, bumpers, rails, and winch this weekend on the X. But I don't want to run it without some backup. So the Red Fronty will come with. Downside is, no siderails (they are going back to ShrockWorks because of fitting issues, can anyone help find a new vendor or make some?) and no front bumper yet. Just the underside skids (minus the radiator skid thats part of the bumper install).

So can the Fronty make the trail? Or can either make the trail without lifts of fancy tires? Oh and would the recent rain make this a bad idea this weekend?

Lastly... Anyone wanna go with? Was hoping for tomorrow (have to put the console back in the X, the CB install is wining now, I shorted something frown ).

-Randy
- "Fully Shrocked" by ShrockWorks
- Ramsey 9000UT Winch w/ Synthetic Cable
2007 Red NISMO Frontier
- ShrockWorks Full Underside Armor
- ShrockWorks "Modified" Rock Sliders

#323250 - 20/07/07 12:15 PM Re: Trail Conditions - Backroad to Crown King?
Anonymous
Unregistered

With no concept of your driving ability, I'm still going to say yes, a stock X or Fronty (4wd of course) can make it up the backroad. Stay off the obviously more difficult obstacles, and get out and walk up ahead if you'r uncertain of how/where the trail ahead will lead you. There should be plenty of traffic on a saturday so if you go FUBAR, it shouldn't take long for someone to come by and help, at what cost I can't presume. Just bring plenty of water, recovery equipment, and as a side note, if you smoke, be extremely careful as to how you dispose of your butts. That mountain'd go up faster than a, well, think of a metaphor for something catching on fire really quick.. smile

#323251 - 20/07/07 02:28 PM Re: Trail Conditions - Backroad to Crown King?
MadManX Offline

Thanks for the update...

Nope don't smoke... Got two trucks to go up one with a winch and plenty of recovery equip... Driving... Well I think I do pretty good, used to take the 4x2 where alot of 4x4s were afraid to go. Traded that one off for the 4x4 I got now, so I think I'm still a go then.

Thanks,
-Randy
2007 Red NISMO Frontier

#323252 - 20/07/07 02:37 PM Re: Trail Conditions - Backroad to Crown King?
Anonymous
Unregistered

You ever used your winch?

#323253 - 20/07/07 07:30 PM Re: Trail Conditions - Backroad to Crown King?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I should be going along with ya man, heh..

so i sure hope my stock 4x4 X can make it without damage,lol

haven't even finished all the loan paperwork on it yet laugh

#323254 - 20/07/07 09:37 PM Re: Trail Conditions - Backroad to Crown King?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by DBAX:
You ever used your winch?
i dont have one anymore but i am up for a new wench..........O you ment Winch laugh

#323255 - 20/07/07 09:42 PM Re: Trail Conditions - Backroad to Crown King?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm trying to convince Jessica it'd be good for me to get out and drive tomorrow. Give her some time alone.. laugh I'd love to hit that trail with y'all.

#323256 - 20/07/07 09:52 PM Re: Trail Conditions - Backroad to Crown King?
Anonymous
Unregistered

bet the trails got hammered with rain

#323257 - 20/07/07 09:58 PM Re: Trail Conditions - Backroad to Crown King?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I Cant wait. in a few more weeks the builder might have the Sliders back from powdercoat and then ready to install. [Too much XOC] laugh

#323258 - 21/07/07 12:58 AM Re: Trail Conditions - Backroad to Crown King?
Anonymous
Unregistered

We're looking at hitting the trails on Sunday, just haven't decided on a time yet, prolly earlier in the day

#323259 - 21/07/07 08:14 AM Re: Trail Conditions - Backroad to Crown King?
Anonymous
Unregistered

going tomorrow now?

#323260 - 21/07/07 10:42 AM Re: Trail Conditions - Backroad to Crown King?
Anonymous
Unregistered

yeah, sunday.

#323261 - 21/07/07 12:55 PM Re: Trail Conditions - Backroad to Crown King?
Anonymous
Unregistered

If anyone else is intrested in joining us tomorrow (sunday) hit either myself or madman up. the more the merrier

#323262 - 21/07/07 01:25 PM Re: Trail Conditions - Backroad to Crown King?
MadManX Offline

Well... Current plan... Sunday it is.

Thinking to leave Maricopa at about 7am and stop at I-17 and Yorkshire for gas (Costco is usually cheap and I'll hand around my card for anyone that doesn't have one... But I'm not pickin up the tab :p )

I think it takes about an hour to get up that far for us... Sa about 8ish at Costco.

I haven't used the winch but to spool in the new synthetic cable (drug the Fronty down the street) so with all the rain we might need it.

Current weather forcast is 40% Chance of Thunder Showers today and tomorrow. And I think the High was about 85.

Two routs home depending on how we feel. Either the normal route out of Corwn King to the I-17 (2wd freindly maintained dirt road) or the Sentinal Highway... A not so maintained dirt road that turns to pavement in Prescott. Very Rual and up in the woods. I ran it about 2 years ago after some really bad rains had dried up and it was still very two wheel drive friendly. Just makes the trip even longer.

Oh... I just got armor and the Fronty is bottom armor and ProjectX is Stock... So we WILL BE STOCK FRIENDLY laugh ... If it gets too bad from the recent rains we will have to cut short and find a new place to play for the day.

PM me if you need my number for directions, times, FRS chanels, or CB channels.

-Randy
2007 Red NISMO Frontier

#323263 - 21/07/07 01:44 PM Re: Trail Conditions - Backroad to Crown King?
Anonymous
Unregistered

should be fun!

2nd adventure for the weekend, last night was fun!

#323264 - 21/07/07 01:49 PM Re: Trail Conditions - Backroad to Crown King?
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you're going to air down, be sure to stop in Black Canyon City on the way home, at the Shell station. It may be the single greatest free air pump in the Southwestern United States. wink Leave town on the exit to I-17 and turn off (right/south) onto Maggie Mine Rd. It snakes parallel to the Hwy in to the town and right to the station.

Lunch at Fort Misery, or were you driving through and eating up top? [drink]

#323265 - 21/07/07 01:50 PM Re: Trail Conditions - Backroad to Crown King?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I'm going up, prolly just w/ the dog [ThumbsUp] . I'll be on the Carefree Hwy (74), just west of 99th Ave/Lake Pleasant Rd no later than 8:15. That'd put me on the trailhead after airing down, by 9am. smile

FRS 14-0

#323266 - 21/07/07 09:43 PM Re: Trail Conditions - Backroad to Crown King?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Im in woooohooooo
what time we meeting Dan i will be at the chevron at 8:00am check your phone MSG [Too much XOC] [Too much XOC] laugh [Too much XOC]

#323267 - 21/07/07 09:45 PM Re: Trail Conditions - Backroad to Crown King?
Anonymous
Unregistered

im up early 6ish i will leave the house 7- 715

#323268 - 21/07/07 09:48 PM Re: Trail Conditions - Backroad to Crown King?
Anonymous
Unregistered

MadManX, I think you meant Senator Highway. I just ran that a few weeks ago. It was fine - definitely 2wd friendly. In fact, I have ran that several times in my Sunfire! FYI, going up to Prescott will add 2-3 hours to your trip.

As for the backroad to Crown King, I ran that in my ATV back in February, and it didn't look too friendly for a stock truck. In fact, all of the trucks I saw on the trail that day were heavily modified.

I agree with DBAX, picking the right line and also getting out and walking ahead will help.

I'd like to run that trail with you guys, but I don't think I want to run that trail before I get a full set of Shrock skids...

#323269 - 22/07/07 12:07 AM Re: Trail Conditions - Backroad to Crown King?
MadManX Offline

DBAX and Onix... Check Your PMs.

You guys are running about 30 minutes ahead of us... There are 3 of us in our group. If you slow down a bit we can run together. It takes us about 90 minutes to get up there and we are leaving at 7am from here.

Call me if you want us to meet up with you somewhere.

AZ Ted - Thanks for the heads up... We plan on practicing with the stocks at taking lines (since two drivers are really new) and the winch should help for the mudd. Since current weather at midnight shows it is raining in crown king right now. Worse case we will back out and head to table mesa or sheeps bridge that is near by.

-MadManX
2007 Red NISMO Frontier

#323270 - 22/07/07 09:08 AM Re: Trail Conditions - Backroad to Crown King?
Anonymous
Unregistered

ish i could make it, could use a day out, but alas.......at work again....have fun y'all

#323271 - 22/07/07 08:19 PM Re: Trail Conditions - Backroad to Crown King?
Anonymous
Unregistered

How was the trip?

#323272 - 22/07/07 10:58 PM Re: Trail Conditions - Backroad to Crown King?
MadManX Offline

Well... I think it was great, I'll spend some time tomorrow enevning and start posting pics (too a little over 500 pics at about 1.5 GBs). Gotta pic the good action shots laugh and a few glamor shots for Dbax. % trucks total... 4 Xs and the Fronty for the girls.

It was a really nice day... Never tested the winch (I consider that a good thing). Had to hook ProjectX up to a safty line cause well... It rained soo hard the trail was litterly washing away in some places. And his lack of armor it was just alot safer having a tug to keep him from the edge.

As promised... I did not use my locker (except when tugging). ProjetX only lost the little stubby mud flaps in front of the rear tirres and took a few under side scratches.

There is video the was taken so I tihnk ther should be some footage on youtube soon (especially my very hard slam against my skid).

Gotta thank Jim at ShrockWorks... I tested everything I had and it was tottaly worth it.

Oh and Onix says I'm the first Gen2 with front and rear bumpers local that he has heard of... Anyone know of another Gen2 setup with front and rear? That could be some cool bragging rights smile

Oh... I really need coil overs... I sag really bad under the front bumpers weight. Any suggestions everyone?

Well pics soon and I can't wait for Fat Tire

-MadManX
2007 Red NISMO Frontier

#323273 - 22/07/07 11:35 PM Re: Trail Conditions - Backroad to Crown King?
Anonymous
Unregistered

crown king was a blast as madman stated, the fronty was the first to take on damage and soon i followed behind with the plastic mudflap infront of the the rear tire, if you find it on crown king some where...send me a PM, there's a reward laugh

dbax and onix were awesome to wheel with and we probably couldn't have done what we did today without their advice and help. we did encounter some gnarly rain and some of the trail gave away at the top of the mountain, a full set of skids are going to be ordered soon, i took a few cheap shots to the gas tank which wasn't too good.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal