2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#327818 - 09/04/08 09:09 AM AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
MadManX Offline

Loc: Maricopa, AZ
Ok guys... Sorry to pull down the last thread (I couldn't get them down from everywhere so I will be editing what I can today).

Sheila had some "political" issues going on behind the scenes with the build. These have been adressed and will be dropped from here at this point.

So... Back to the build. And all are re-invited.

April 12th at 9AM is the official schedule at First Class Auto Body.

3002 N Civic Center Plz
Scottsdale, AZ 85251
Google Maps .

The todo list as I know it to be:
  • Drop Diff bracket install
  • Removal of Front Diff
  • Swapping Steering Knuckles
  • Upper and Lower Control Arm Swap
  • Front Axle Removal
  • Hubs & Brakes Swap to new Sterring Knuckle
  • Rear Lift Block install
  • Rear Shackle Install
  • Front Brakeline Replacement
  • CVs Extended
  • Front Bumpstops modified
  • Front Radflow 2.5" diamater High Lift Coilovers installed
  • Rear RadFlow piggy back shocks installed

What will be on hold till either a second build or done in our driveway:
  • Rear Leaf packs installed
  • Front Diff Re-Installed
  • Front Axles Installed

And if anyone is interested on the second build out there as some major changes going on to my Xterra. Only parts currently avalible... My bumpstops. Due to the complexity of my parts they have been sent back (By PRG to RadFlow) to have my shocks rebuilt. If there is interest in the Rear Shocks, Leaf packs, and spring preach flip that will be done on it let me know and I'll see if I can get something together for the finalization of the Frontier as a 4x4 again and the extreme mods to the Xterra.
There is two gray areas with this build. One, will the Frontier have enough rear height to at least be level. And two... With either or both trucks have driveline issues from the extream lifts in the rear. Maybe a new rear axle will be in our futer befor She blows that front diff?
And on the future plans for the Xterra:
  • Onboard air(ARB High Output OBA System?) (someone has to fill thoes 35s on the Frontier)
  • 2 or 3" Body lift
  • Fiberglass fenders
  • Fiberglass Hood with scoop (ok, so if I bulk ship I get a good deal)
  • Volient Air Intake
  • Snorkel for Xterra (I think I have a plan for this mod finally)
  • Gobi Roof Rack and Hela lights
  • Gas/Air bumpstops up front
  • NISMO or JBA Headers
  • Exhaust upgrade

And for the Frontier:
  • 3" Body lift
  • Fiberglass Front fenders
  • Fiberglass Hood with Scoop
  • One of a kind Pre-Runner Style Bumper for Frontier
  • Volient Air Intake
  • NISMO or JBA Headers
  • Custom exhaust (I'm thinking Flowmaster 60 series)
  • Support beam and racing front seats for 4-link belt system
  • Custom rear Tire carrier
  • Fiberglass rear bed panels
  • Gas/Air bumpstops up front on Frontier
  • Gas/Air bumpstops in rear on Frontier

Well that's the high level list... The X will get to piggy back more parts behind the Frontier build out now because it helps get vendors cut us good deals buying multiples of everything. Well except the rack I'm still trying to figure out how to swallow, but I'm going to need the gear space when she Finally gets to go desert racing.
Oh... Since I'm babling again... I forgot to though in... If anyone is interested in the body lift installes on either or both trucks let me know too and I'll try to get something going for that too.
And Parts are due for delivery tomorrow, but there is a slim to no chance some could show up today. When they show up I'll start posting lots of pics. I also could not find an electronic version of the FabTech kit install, So I'm still hunting or will have Sheila scan everything when it arives so everyone gets a chance to see whats involved bedore the install.
Anyone that does come and brings cameras, please let us steal any shots or video you get before you leave. We are trying to get a collection together of this event.
Edit: Looks like Lucky13 might be having an ECM installed at the same time... So add that to the list of events.
Also I plan on bringing lots of spare parts for a mod day sale... Let me know if you're interested in what, but mostly lift parts and one big Shrockworks Rear Bumper. I have enough spare parts to lift probably 2 or 3 trucks from 0.5" to 2"+. Others bring what you got and maybe some swapping could occur and installs on site.
Now... Head count please?
  • MadManX
  • Sheila
  • Onix
  • Xclade
  • T-Ray
  • Lucky13
  • XJC
  • Serrated from CF
  • Garrett in the 4Runner

-MadManX
- "Fully Shrocked" by ShrockWorks
- Ramsey 9000UT Winch w/ Synthetic Cable
2007 Red NISMO Frontier
- ShrockWorks Full Underside Armor
- ShrockWorks "Modified" Rock Sliders

#327819 - 09/04/08 10:35 AM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll be by after my appointments. Probably around Noon.

#327820 - 09/04/08 08:39 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I would post a reply but my name is already on the list [Smoking] Ohh wait... I just did cool See ya bright and early Sat. I belive I am going to be taking lucky13 to get his ECU so we can get some damn spark.

#327821 - 09/04/08 09:46 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Xclade:
Well I would post a reply but my name is already on the list [Smoking] Ohh wait... I just did cool See ya bright and early Sat. I belive I am going to be taking lucky13 to get his ECU so we can get some damn spark.
wow, that will be a wonderful thing when it actually runs again.. than i can actually start doing fun things to it..

#327822 - 10/04/08 10:42 AM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
MadManX Offline

Well... Onix I'll be rolling by after work with the camera.

ALL 6 PACKAGES ARE OUT FOR DELIVERY TODAY!!!

So... I also have some great info to relay... Onix just gave me a heads up... We are apparently going to have a pretty good turn out even though there is only 6 people confirmed for attendance. Some other custom trucks that I would love to see myself have called his shop to confirm the build.

First Class Auto Body has been taking calls on our behalf confirming this build is a go on the 12th at 9AM. I can't thank them enough for taking time out of their working days to do this for us.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FIRST CLASS AUTO BODY !!!

Also... Myself and Sheila will be providing soft drinks, water, and Gatorade... And it looks like pizza for lunch. I'm trying to get a headcount between thouse that post and those that have called, but we will play the lunch time by ear till day of just in case there are alot more people showing up... Which is a great thing BTW.

First Class Auto Body have asked that NO alcohol be brought to thier place of business. Please respect this since they are helping us so much.

-MadManX
2007 Red NISMO Frontier

#327823 - 10/04/08 02:38 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
Anonymous
Unregistered

Update ups has dropped off parts laugh

#327824 - 10/04/08 03:16 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
Anonymous
Unregistered

Awwww... Come on man, what parts? cool

#327825 - 11/04/08 08:24 AM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
MadManX Offline

And here they are:

-MadManX
2007 Red NISMO Frontier

#327826 - 11/04/08 08:26 AM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
MadManX Offline

I have everything at the house now, I was supposed to sort the bolts last night but ended up getting home late. So I'm leaving work early today to sort out bolts. The goal is to baggie up every bolt each part will need to install and bundle them together. This should make things easier if we get too many people under the truck at once so we don't have to bolt hunt constantly.

Onix... I've read almost all of the Fabtech install instructions and we shouldn't need a stand to hold the engine. It looks like only the supporting crossmember is removed and cuts made to it. And we will remove the front diff for the install. The instructions have us do this so we will not be reinstalling it.

The reinstall will happen when the axles get in. We can just pull the lower control arms, and one of the cross members from the drop bracket to resinstall the front diff. Alot of work I know, but I'd like to have her take it up to the clean up I think to show it off. In theory she will still have 4lo without the 4 smile and a locker in the rear. If the 4wd doesn't engage with the front diff missing I will just mod her locker to engage in 2wd (I was going to anyway for her and myself, since 2wd NISMOs already can engage thier locker in 2hi).

And again... THANK YOU FIRST CALL AUTO BODY for access to a lift and a place to work.

And... PRG Products is sending us a bunch of stickers to hand out AND a special gift as well. I'll leave this a mystory for now, but I have more than one wink I just have to discuss them with Sheila on how they will be given away... Yes I said GIVEN smile

Anyways... Updates should be slim today since I will be baging and taging parts for hours I'm sure. And again... PLEASE... We need a head count. I have 6 on site so far, plus Onix took a few calls too... So maybe 10 total?

Onsite we will also be installing a new ECM into a Gen1 (Lucky13s rig). So you can get in on that too. And just one more note... Onix will have some "real work" to complete too (some welding I belive)... So there should be 3 rigs being worked on as a minimum. Maybe more if you come to and we have the hands to help you out.

Lets make this a kick @$$ mod day!

-MadManX
2007 Red NISMO Frontier

#327827 - 11/04/08 04:15 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sounds like a bitchin' mod day, but I can't be there to help. I'm running Jessica out to Lake Pleasant to have her meet with XROCK, she'll be picking up some hours working for the AZDUCK TOURS. I'm sure someone there can remove mudflaps in my place however.. Take lots of pics throughout the install, and bring lots of bandaids [ThumbsUp]

#327828 - 11/04/08 04:32 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm takin the 4Runner to Box Canyon on her first every run laugh

#327829 - 11/04/08 04:55 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is it weird of me to have found those pictures kinda hot? :p Lotsa new and clean parts...I can't wait to see them get dirty! This truck is gonna look sick. See ya in the morning.

#327830 - 11/04/08 04:57 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Is it weird of me to have found those pictures kinda hot?
I admit it too Chris, my shorts got a little tighter seeing all that junk.. [Freak]

#327831 - 11/04/08 05:27 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
MadManX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Xclade:
Is it weird of me to have found those pictures kinda hot? :p Lotsa new and clean parts...I can't wait to see them get dirty! This truck is gonna look sick. See ya in the morning.
Shawn came to the shop yesterday when I took the pics and even he was impressed... Now that is a hard guy to impress too.

Though he thinks 36" tires would look better smile

Their is some auto insurance drama I need to post up, but I'm trying to finish labling everything for the morning. And scratching out half the steps we don't need and adding in the new steps... Damn there are so many bolts!

-MadManX
2007 Red NISMO Frontier

#327832 - 11/04/08 05:58 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
MadManX Offline

Well here is some comparison shots to some parts I had laying around off or my OR Xterra (same as the Frontier except the rears might be different?)

The front Coilovers:

The Rear Shocks:

The Rear Lift Shackles:

And I couldn't find my UCA so I'll get that shot tomorrow, But holding it to the truck, man it is huge. I'll also get some shots of other part size comparisons as things are pulled off the truck.

-MadManX
2007 Red NISMO Frontier

#327833 - 11/04/08 06:02 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
MadManX Offline

Everything all taged and bagged for the morning. Packing it into the truck in a few minutes now.

-MadManX
2007 Red NISMO Frontier

#327834 - 11/04/08 06:07 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
MadManX Offline

This is part of the left overs from the Fabtech kit. this is all the front brake modification brakets and the factory shock extensions. This is what will NOT be installed at all.

And this is the temporary parts till the new proto type leaf pack shows up (a couple weeks is the latest eastimate).

And lastly... I'll have to beg Onix for a second day on the lift when the axels are ready. I don't plan on re-installing her front diff till they arrive... And that will be a project. My best guess is to disconnect the LCAs and push then way from the drop bracket, pull the rear of the drop bracket out (and maybe the front) and re-install the diff. then put it all back together again. Maybe only a long evening job or an early weekend job with some night wheeling afterward. As long as we mark all the alignment botls first laugh .

-MadManX
2007 Red NISMO Frontier

#327835 - 11/04/08 07:49 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
Anonymous
Unregistered

[Smoking]

#327836 - 11/04/08 11:53 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
Anonymous
Unregistered

Step 49!? lol.

Sorry dude, I thought I was going to be able to show up and grease monkey (I'm halfway decent with an air ratchet) but looks like I'm doing a Crown King + WikenBurg Run, so I will not be able to attend.
Good luck, and you better post pics of what it looks like.

#327837 - 12/04/08 05:56 AM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
XCJ Offline

Loc: Chandler, AZ
I'll probably be in and out throughout the day depending on work. Yesterday I got as much out of the way as possible so that I could take some time and watch this project unfold eek

#327838 - 12/04/08 05:59 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
XCJ Offline

Well, I'm sure you are still out there, but I wanted to say thanks for letting me help out a bit and for the pizza. Good times, good knowledge, and a good sun burn. I'm anxious to see how it all turns out!

Also, thanks to ONIX for being the host again!

#327839 - 12/04/08 10:04 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
Anonymous
Unregistered

Pictures please.

#327840 - 12/04/08 11:31 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
Anonymous
Unregistered

And where were you mister....J/K thought you where going

#327841 - 12/04/08 11:32 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by AZ-Ted:
Pictures please.
Picture this its BIG! [Huh?]

#327842 - 13/04/08 12:27 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Onix:
And where were you mister....J/K thought you where going
Backroad to Crown King.

#327843 - 13/04/08 12:49 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
Anonymous
Unregistered

Apparently this was so expensive he had to sell all the furniture in that room smile

#327844 - 13/04/08 12:51 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Pictures please.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Picture this its BIG! [Huh?]
There for a few hours yesterday to help out, and I can say, it's a beefy kit with a lot of potential. Some minor fitment issues (turning radius comes to mind) but for the most part, I think Sheila's gonna' be really happy when it's done.
Let's see some pics already.. smile

#327845 - 13/04/08 01:00 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
MadManX Offline

Pictures are comming I swear. It was a long night (we skipped installing the blocks though) so we passed out and woke up late this morning. We had to unload the leftovers off her truck this morning (a front diff , axles, skids).

And if you really wanna see it now it will be at firestone for the next few hours being alligned.

Pics when we get home smile

-MadManX
2007 Red NISMO Frontier

#327846 - 13/04/08 07:04 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
MadManX Offline

-MadManX
2007 Red NISMO Frontier

#327847 - 13/04/08 07:08 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
MadManX Offline

-MadManX
2007 Red NISMO Frontier

#327848 - 13/04/08 07:10 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
MadManX Offline

And here it is... On it's own feet !!! Guess how high?

-MadManX
2007 Red NISMO Frontier

#327849 - 13/04/08 07:15 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
MadManX Offline

And some of the issues...

So... The Fabtech bumpstop killed uptravel. So... We tossed it. We need to fab up something before she jumps. Basically... The Fabtech kit only allowed 2" of uptravel. The new coilover allowed for 5". The draw pack of removing the Fabtech bumpstop is that factory bumpstop is up 7". So we have a 2" problem. A full stuff will probably destroy the new coilovers, so we will work with PRG on this one.

-MadManX
2007 Red NISMO Frontier

#327850 - 13/04/08 07:19 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
MadManX Offline

Next big problem.

So... The OEM Titan lower control arms and the Fabtech steering knuckes had some "turning radius" problems. Basically the OEM LCA hit the knuckle almost immediatly. Wally and the trusty die grinder took care of this by grinding the front and back of the LCA to allow the knuckle a "larger" movment. Not as much as stock, but when assmbled, we won't even know there was a problem.

-MadManX
2007 Red NISMO Frontier

#327851 - 13/04/08 07:23 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
MadManX Offline

And the last BIG problem...

Yep... The tie rod end hits the tire. This is a stock NISMO rim and my Firestone Destination MTs running 285/75R16. With the OEM tire (the 265/75R16 BFGs) it was close but not touching like it is now. The camber is off... But not that much, so this is a BIG problem and new rims or spacers will need to be added VERY soon.

-MadManX
2007 Red NISMO Frontier

#327852 - 13/04/08 07:24 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
MadManX Offline

Now there is some droop... With my measurments, there is room to add a 1" spacer over the coil. So when the Diff goes back and the angles aren't extrem... She will go one inch higher smile

-MadManX
2007 Red NISMO Frontier

#327853 - 13/04/08 07:41 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
MadManX Offline

And... The final numbers.

Before the lift, from the bottom of the fender to the ground. 34"... After the lift on the same tires. 44"... That is a 10 INCH LIFT laugh

Minimum ground clearnce in the front (we forgot to measure stock day of, but I belive it was just under 8")... Is now 11" ... Yes that is a 3" lift, technically after the drop braket.

The rear is only on new Shackels set at 4.5"... We did not install the 4" lift blocks. We had one other VERY MAJOR problem... BRAKE LINES!

So... we have the next couple weeks to splice wires (ABS and E-Locker) and find extended brak lines to accept the new leaf pack that should be here soon. The e-brake line could be a problem too... We will see there.

And... Well once again I'm going to say thanks... The list of people that showed up and helped is impressive to say the least.

THANK YOU EVERYONE !!!
  • Chris
  • Wally
  • Dan
  • Tim
  • Lindsay
  • Chase
  • Vince
  • Jeff
  • Gerrett
  • Krista
  • Phil
  • Dave
  • Sean
  • Gregg (of PRG Products)
  • Jenn (of PRG Products)
  • Razor (of First Class Auto Body)
  • Dave (of First Class Auto Body)

And the mystry items I said I had. PRG Products gave us 2 gift certificates to give out at the build... Because it was so hectic thoughout the day, we couldn't make this more official. So what we have done is tossed everyones name in a hat and drew two...
So... The two that came up...

Phil (AZXC) and Vince (CF)

If you guys can hunt me down to arrange handing off a $25 gift certificate off to you I'd appreciate it.

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH FOR THE HELP !!!

AND THANKS TO FIRST CLASS AUTO BODY for the lift!

-MadManX
2007 Red NISMO Frontier

#327854 - 13/04/08 07:45 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
MadManX Offline

And as always... There is about 200 pics total and I might even have a couple video clips up soon too.

Photobucket - 04-12-2008 Frontier 10 inch Lift Build

-MadManX
2007 Red NISMO Frontier

#327855 - 13/04/08 09:39 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
defibvt Offline

Loc: AZ
Looks good.

#327856 - 13/04/08 10:19 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
Anonymous
Unregistered

not to be the one to ruin the fun or anything but i have a question, so give me the right feedback if i'm wrong...

while the lift looks awesome, much taller then the xterra but i'm looking at the front cross member and it almost appears to be the same height if not close to the same height as the one on the X, with all that lift, isn't it kind of pointless if that is still low?

#327857 - 13/04/08 11:49 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by ProjectX:
not to be the one to ruin the fun or anything but i have a question, so give me the right feedback if i'm wrong...

while the lift looks awesome, much taller then the xterra but i'm looking at the front cross member and it almost appears to be the same height if not close to the same height as the one on the X, with all that lift, isn't it kind of pointless if that is still low?
I think they said it sits at 11" now, which is a little taller then stock but not much yeah.

Nice job guys, looks amazing. The back is a little low for me, but sounds like you got that under control. Enjoy it shiela smile

#327858 - 14/04/08 05:15 AM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
MadManX Offline

Yep... Overall it is technically a 3" lift at the cross member befor tires. But due to the massive increase in overall height sh should end up at close to 14" once tires are installed. which is alamost a 50% increase in ground clearenc in the front and a 3.5" increase in minimum ground clearnce at the rear pumpkin at about 13".

Also, because she is a truck and the wheelbase size difference, this massive lift also reduces her chances of high centering greatly.

Oh... And she is being built into a hibrid rock crawler/pre-runner... So to protect that cross member while she pre-runs we need to get her a new pumper ASAP that extends far below the frame and back towards the crossmember so a landing from a jump doesn't rip it off. Sothing a real pre-runner doesn't have a problem with because they don't have a front diff.

As for the height in the back... Its only at 4.5" of lift right now with another 3" coming for 7.5 overall... With the factory rake of about 1.5 inches that puts the front currently at about a 1" rake to the front... which is very mild for a pre-runner. If the setup alows an aditional 1" spacer will be used up front to get more of a pre-runner look overall.

-MadManX
2007 Red NISMO Frontier

#327859 - 14/04/08 09:38 AM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is it 2wd now?

Maybe I missed something....

#327860 - 14/04/08 09:43 AM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
MadManX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Rat:
Is it 2wd now?

Maybe I missed something....
Yeah till the new axle shafts get here... Than the diff goes back.

-MadManX
2007 Red NISMO Frontier

#327861 - 14/04/08 10:51 AM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
Anonymous
Unregistered

badass man

#327862 - 14/04/08 05:18 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
Anonymous
Unregistered

it does look damn good!

and what, no pics of cutting the frame to fit the new cross member?

#327863 - 14/04/08 07:28 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
MadManX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky 13:
it does look damn good!

and what, no pics of cutting the frame to fit the new cross member?
We got those... They are in the photobucket link along with about another 160 pictures smile There is even some sparks in the pics too smile

-Randy
2007 Red NISMO Frontier

#327864 - 14/04/08 08:27 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
Anonymous
Unregistered

So it uses the stock aluminum job, eh? What's the swap I keep hearing about that puts a titan axle housing in a frontier?

#327865 - 14/04/08 08:48 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
MadManX Offline

Quote:
So it uses the stock aluminum job, eh? What's the swap I keep hearing about that puts a titan axle housing in a frontier?
Yeah... That's what is going to happen when she breaks this diff... Cause I'm sure its not under waranty now.

Basically the only waisted parts is the half shafts. But they weren't too expensive.

Next I'll get some wheel adapters to match the Titans bolt pattern... And from there we will be back to Titan shopping smile

I'm also trying to hunt down a wheel and rim combo that has a beadlock design and allow for a Titan Big Brake kit.

After all the tire issues are ironed out, I'll be scavanging for a Titan rear axel with an elocker and a front diff and hubs. The hubs will fit in the Frontier knuckles so these new ones are no loss.

Basically her lack of a lift was starting to be too had on the truck so we had to do something. So we went for a combo that had the least amount of loss when finally making the full conversion to a complete Titan Suspension and Drivetrain. Heck if we really get lucky... an engine, tranny, and ecm from a Titan would be a great find... but I don't have that kind of funding. So I bought some time to find new axles... So if you got a hookup for wrecked Titans I'd be interested.

-MadManX
2007 Red NISMO Frontier

#327866 - 15/04/08 07:25 AM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not sure about wrecked Titans. I assume an Armada or QX56 would also work? What about R&P gears to match?

For the diff housing, etc. just find a salvage yard you like dealing with who speaka the English, and have them run hotline checks for you periodically so you can catch them coming in. There's a huge row of salvage yards on west Broadway in Phoenix.

#327867 - 15/04/08 12:12 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Not sure about wrecked Titans. I assume an Armada or QX56 would also work? What about R&P gears to match?

For the diff housing, etc. just find a salvage yard you like dealing with who speaka the English, and have them run hotline checks for you periodically so you can catch them coming in. There's a huge row of salvage yards on west Broadway in Phoenix.
Just watch your junk like a hawk, I picked up a replacement knuckle for my chyrsler to only now need an emblem for my HB pickup. White boy in a brown hood. confused :rolleyes:

#327868 - 15/04/08 12:37 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
MadManX Offline

Too funny... Yeah Onix is helping me scavange so far... I think he already found me the rims I need. I'm just trying to confirm how big a rotor I can fit inside of them. I was looking at the AP Racing Big Brake set for a Titan but they requier a 20" rim. I don't want to go over an 18" rim. Tires are getting hard to find even at that size.

I do need tire suggestions though... 35" should fit but I'm sticking to an 8" wide rim for now. Probaly and 18" rim. I'm thinking about getting a Titan OEM set for now to beat on a little till I can come up with a second set of rims (on road and off road). So these OEMs should work great.

And I'll be using wheel adapters for now, a 6 on 4.5" to a 6 on 5.5". They are expensive... Is $90 for a pair of 1" thick spacers resonable? It's goint to cost me half as much to mount the rims as the rims cost.

Onix... Sheila was going to call Brake-Pros again and see if they could use thier 6 piston caliper with a smaller rotor than the 15". Titan stock is 13" front and rear. Frontier stock is 12" in front and 11" in the rear.

Oh yeah I almost forgot a master cylinder has to be tracked down to to power the bigger brakes. Out master is not powerful enough. The Titan one sites with minor modifications so I've read.

Well with rims almost nailed down I really need some rubber... So we can get the tierod end off the tire (and get my tires back on my truck).

Anyone interested in OEM tires from the Frontier?

-MadManX
2007 Red NISMO Frontier

#327869 - 18/04/08 08:38 AM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
MadManX Offline

Well... The Armada 18" OEM rims got in last night. Onix that was way fast smile The look exactly the same as the OEM rims for the OR editions only 2" bigger. Not a bad deal either. I paid $350+ for all 5 matching rims. No sensors or rubber though. I was hopping for sensors since they seem to go bad quickly (between the two trucks we have had 2 replaced and another one will be next week probably).

The adapters should be here today so if I can find rubber we should be set here real quick. We do have one possible issue and I wish I had noticed before I ordered the adapters. The adpaters are 1" thick and I had an option to order 1.5". I should have gotten the 1.5" for the front at least.

Here is way... My tire (the 285/75R16) is about 9.5" wide... And it barely clears the spindle. The adapter will push the tire out 1". So that leaves I'm guessing about 2.5" to 3" gap (sorry I didn't measure it for sure yet) between the buldge in the tire and the spindle. Here is the catch... The tires we are looking to purchase are 35x12.5R18s... Notice the problem... It is about 1.5 inches wider on each side... And I have maybe a l ittle over 2" after the adapters. So... I hope they don't rub, and we will have to see how they hold up when aired down. I might be buying another set of adapters for the front.

BTW... Adapters are bloddy expnsive... About $80 for a set of 2 plush shipping.

Now for the tires... Here is what I'm looking at.

A BFG Mud Terrain KM2 35x12.5R18. Best price so far, Desert Rat at $323.99

And the second tire (and the one Sheila wants most) is a Toyo Open Country M/T also from Desert Rat at $353.99 plus a $60 rebate for buying 4.

Also I'm looking at trying out this form of ballancing a tire: Innovative Balancing
Has anyone got any experience with this?

And lastly... I might do this to the X first, haven't decided yet... But I'm looking at using these instead of conventional beadlocks.
Staun beadlocks

Anyone got feedback on the tires, balancing, and beadlocking ideas? ... Or even better... hookups for rubber smile Looking to buy today and would love to install today too.

-MadManX
2007 Red NISMO Frontier

#327870 - 18/04/08 10:56 AM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
MadManX Offline

Looks like Jason over at Firestone is going to hook us up with the BFG Mud Terrain KM2s... BTW... A little trivia... This tire was first tested on the Project X2 truck. Thanks to Onix for that piece of info.

Sheila finally picked this one out... And likes working with Firestone so well that Firestone is going to match any price we could find (locally was discount tire at $321 ea), get them here today, balance them... And the would mount them, but the adapters aren't hear yet. But if they get here in time, they might just do that too... Not sure since it requires changing the lugs.

Though... I might beg Onix into helping out with access to a jack and an air gun to do it myself right after the rubber is mounted. The catch... She won't have her TPS sensors for now. Oh well... Anyone know how to disable that thing anyway? That and I need to swap some rubber to some of her "old" rims now... Get rid of the bent one and the steelly.

She just might be on her all fours this afternoon now smile And I get my Destinations back on the X too.

-MadManX
2007 Red NISMO Frontier

#327871 - 18/04/08 01:18 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
XCJ Offline

TPMS reset kit: clicky

I think it will only reset the system, not disable it completely.

There are some federal laws regarding TPMS systems, so you may have a hard time finding a way to shut it off.

You could always try taking out the bulb for the TPMS light...

#327872 - 18/04/08 01:47 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
MadManX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by XCJ:
TPMS reset kit: clicky

I think it will only reset the system, not disable it completely.

There are some federal laws regarding TPMS systems, so you may have a hard time finding a way to shut it off.

You could always try taking out the bulb for the TPMS light...
Yeah... 2007 and newer vehicals are required to have the sensor... And I think Nissan put it in in either 2005 or 2006 models standard. Worse case I'll pull the pin off the gauge cluster smile

Nice find on the reset tool though... And it is cheap too.

Oh... Taking the Rims to Firestone at about 3 to get the rubber put on them... But the adapters are no where to be found... And they were supposed to be here today... Crossing fingers that the mail is just slow (since I think they shipped them USPS).

-MadManX
2007 Red NISMO Frontier

#327873 - 22/04/08 11:37 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
Anonymous
Unregistered

really like those bead locks. they cost a bit much tho at about $200 a rim... but considering bead lock rims are insanely expensive. and these fit on any rim. also the bead lock are technically illegal and these would be very low key.. these arent bad at all..

#327874 - 23/04/08 07:22 AM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
MadManX Offline

Quote:
really like those bead locks. they cost a bit much tho at about $200 a rim... but considering bead lock rims are insanely expensive. and these fit on any rim. also the bead lock are technically illegal and these would be very low key.. these arent bad at all..
There are all kinds of legal debates on beadlocks... The california pinal code does not restrict beadloaks persay (i belive the quote is in one of the links). I'm not sure about here in AZ. BUT... What does make nearly all beadlocks illegal is they are not DOT approved for street use. But neither is my front or rear bumber, my driving lights, my lift, and probably alot of other small tweaks we all do.

I was thinking to go this route mainly because of weight reduction on the wheel and the ease to install compaired to a conventional double beadlock. That and there is only a couple companies making double beadlocks and mostly in the 15" rim size, and a few more options in a single beadlock, but 18" rims were still hard to come by.

The difference, well a single beadlock only locks the outside bead... Though rare, you can break a bead in the inside allowing air to "burp" out. A double beadlock has an internal ring that you samwich the tire against.

The only major disadvantage of these, you don't get a rim protector ring along the bead line. Though I'm sure these could be used with a single beadlock rim or a protector ring welded onto a regular rim for the edge protection.

I'm slacking at getting pictures up because my laptop goes back to HP again to fix what the broke last time they had it... So I've been doing backups and tring to hold onto it till after the triathalon. So pics will be a bit behind. Sorry guys.

-MadManX
2007 Red NISMO Frontier

#327875 - 23/04/08 03:37 PM Re: AZXC Hosted Frontier BIG Lift Event on 04/12/08 is back
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by MadManX:
Quote:
[b]really like those bead locks. they cost a bit much tho at about $200 a rim... but considering bead lock rims are insanely expensive. and these fit on any rim. also the bead lock are technically illegal and these would be very low key.. these arent bad at all..
There are all kinds of legal debates on beadlocks... The california pinal code does not restrict beadloaks persay (i belive the quote is in one of the links). I'm not sure about here in AZ. BUT... What does make nearly all beadlocks illegal is they are not DOT approved for street use. But neither is my front or rear bumber, my driving lights, my lift, and probably alot of other small tweaks we all do.

I was thinking to go this route mainly because of weight reduction on the wheel and the ease to install compaired to a conventional double beadlock. That and there is only a couple companies making double beadlocks and mostly in the 15" rim size, and a few more options in a single beadlock, but 18" rims were still hard to come by.

The difference, well a single beadlock only locks the outside bead... Though rare, you can break a bead in the inside allowing air to "burp" out. A double beadlock has an internal ring that you samwich the tire against.

The only major disadvantage of these, you don't get a rim protector ring along the bead line. Though I'm sure these could be used with a single beadlock rim or a protector ring welded onto a regular rim for the edge protection.

I'm slacking at getting pictures up because my laptop goes back to HP again to fix what the broke last time they had it... So I've been doing backups and tring to hold onto it till after the triathalon. So pics will be a bit behind. Sorry guys.

-MadManX[/b]
samwich?? :p

telling ya man get rid of vista.. you will have alot less problems...

what do you mean edge protection? to prevent rim dmg?? not a factor because its inflatable.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal