2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#329389 - 01/02/06 07:33 AM February Xcursion Sat 18th, Coke Ovens
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here's the plan as of today.

Journey to the Florence Area to explore the Coke Ovens. Others can attest at the skill and rating that the trail has or will require. I myself haven't been there and will most likely have to work that weekend. Keeping my fingers crossed. wink Just checked the schedule and indeed I do have to work, but I have the Mod day off, so I probably will attend or host if there is no other place available. [ThumbsUp]

Keep your eyes on this Thread for any of the latest changes.

Thanks,
Adam

#329390 - 01/02/06 07:35 AM Re: February Xcursion Sat 18th, Coke Ovens
Anonymous
Unregistered

That trail is well suited for a stock rig. Just pick your lines carefully.

I'll probably be in Tucson that day frown

#329391 - 01/02/06 11:31 AM Re: February Xcursion Sat 18th, Coke Ovens
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ubfortunately, I am on shift that day. I will be at Mod Day the 11th, and prolly the SWANKy run the 25th.

#329392 - 01/02/06 05:01 PM Re: February Xcursion Sat 18th, Coke Ovens
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll be at the mod day to finsih off the lift on my truck. laugh

And I'll be going to the coke ovens the next weekend also. laugh

My buddy will be coming along on the coke oven run with me as I don't think it will be a fullsize friendly day. laugh

#329393 - 03/02/06 05:12 PM Re: February Xcursion Sat 18th, Coke Ovens
Anonymous
Unregistered

If enough folks are going to Coke ovens, then I will most likely be there. Might even bring the Wife / Sprog (Spawn of RiNkY). If there is little interest, like last time. Then I will probably not be there frown

Adam - Let me know when you do have some free time on a Saturday or Sunday for a few hours so we can hit White Tanks or somethin.

#329394 - 04/02/06 07:01 AM Re: February Xcursion Sat 18th, Coke Ovens
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by RiNkY:
Adam - Let me know when you do have some free time on a Saturday or Sunday for a few hours so we can hit White Tanks or somethin.
Most Definately! [ThumbsUp]

#329395 - 08/02/06 07:41 AM Re: February Xcursion Sat 18th, Coke Ovens
Double D Offline

Loc: Casa Grande, AZ
Well it looks like my travel schedule is going to have a break that weekend. So I'm planning on heading out to the Coke Ovens. Might bring a friend with a TJ who knows a lot about the area with me if he's free.

Rinky,
You should go, it's a good trail with some technical points, but there is a lot of canyons and scenery out there that the wife and kids would enjoy. Oh yeah, it's also fun to drive.

#329396 - 10/02/06 03:16 PM Re: February Xcursion Sat 18th, Coke Ovens
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Sinagua:
I'll be at the mod day to finsih off the lift on my truck. laugh

And I'll be going to the coke ovens the next weekend also. laugh

My buddy will be coming along on the coke oven run with me as I don't think it will be a fullsize friendly day. laugh
The coke ovens can be done just fine with a fullsize. Box canyon on the way in is the only moderate challenge, but I've seen H1's go through there. As long as he has decent clearance, he would be OK.

Better to convince him that your Xterra is far superior though laugh

#329397 - 10/02/06 04:44 PM Re: February Xcursion Sat 18th, Coke Ovens
Anonymous
Unregistered

What is the difficulty level of the Coke Ovens? Im originally from GA, so my off-road experiences have been in mud pits formed from deforesting. I would only have an 02 Stock Xterra

#329398 - 10/02/06 09:42 PM Re: February Xcursion Sat 18th, Coke Ovens
Double D Offline

I have run stock vehicles through box canyon plenty of times. It's a moderate trail, but we'll have enought spotters to get you through the rough parts. Once you're through Box Canyon (The first half hour of the trip) The rest is mostly scenic driving with a couple of rock climbs. It's a good place to get your feet wet. It's the first place I went 4 wheelin' in AZ when I moved here from MI.

#329399 - 13/02/06 10:02 AM Re: February Xcursion Sat 18th, Coke Ovens
Double D Offline

I would like to suggest that we meet at the abandoned Texaco off of US60 again at 9:00 am on Saturday for the Coke Ovens Run. Plan on a pretty long day trip as I think the river is flowing and we'll have to take the long way back.

Here is the info for the gas station: The abandoned gas station on E US-60 (the old portion).

To get there from Phoenix:
Take US-60 East to SR-79. Turn Left (north) off the exit ramp. Them Turn Right onto E US-60. Drive to the end and the abandoned gas station is on the left. Then we can follow the following directions to the entrance road to Box Canyon.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=from%3A+21950+E+US-60,+Apache+Junction,+AZ+85218+to%3A+E+Price+Station+Rd+%26+N+Pinal+Pky,+Florence,+AZ+85232&ll=33.254121,-111.333218&spn=0.031571,0. 054957&f=d&hl=en

#329400 - 13/02/06 10:12 AM Re: February Xcursion Sat 18th, Coke Ovens
NOSUP4U Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by DriverX:
What is the difficulty level of the Coke Ovens? Im originally from GA, so my off-road experiences have been in mud pits formed from deforesting. I would only have an 02 Stock Xterra
I think I remember you doing this on Saturday, but if not, make sure you take off your stock sliders before the trip.

Also, getting to Box Canyon I believe runs you over State Trust land. Generally this isn't a problem, but if they are out there checking people, its a hefty fine if you don't have a State Trust land permit.

Mark

#329401 - 13/02/06 11:04 AM Re: February Xcursion Sat 18th, Coke Ovens
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't have the state land permit! frown Looking at their site it looks like I wouldn't be able to get one in time either.

How hefty a fine are we talking?

#329402 - 13/02/06 01:28 PM Re: February Xcursion Sat 18th, Coke Ovens
Accasbel Offline

Loc: Chanhassen, MN USA
Quote:
I don't have the state land permit! frown Looking at their site it looks like I wouldn't be able to get one in time either.

How hefty a fine are we talking?
If you wheel in Arizona, you should have a permit. No ifs, ands, or buts...

You can go to their office and get one same day.

#329403 - 13/02/06 02:02 PM Re: February Xcursion Sat 18th, Coke Ovens
Anonymous
Unregistered

No way I can make it down town before the weekend. Application is in tomorrows mail. At least I'll have one for future off road adventures. Looks like I won't be making this one frown

I'm getting this feeling that my X is destined to never actually go off road!

Glad that this was brought up, shame it wasn't brought up as a requirement for this run a little sooner so I could have gotten the thing in time.

#329404 - 13/02/06 06:26 PM Re: February Xcursion Sat 18th, Coke Ovens
Yzerman Offline

Loc: Cave Creek, AZ
Quote:
No way I can make it down town before the weekend. Application is in tomorrows mail. At least I'll have one for future off road adventures.
You might have it by Friday. I have always had quick turnaround with them. Would mail it and receive mine 3-5 days later. They will have it by Wednesday (if you mail it early enough on Tuesday), mail your permit back out to you the same day or Thursday and you should have it by Friday/Saturday.

Both times I have have recieve the application, mailed it, and recieved my permit all within a week. So you still have some hope, they are pretty quick at getting your permit out (at least they have been with myself).

You do not want to be caught without a permit($$$). Make sure you pay the extra $5 and get the family one as well. Otherwise only yourself is covered (from what I understand).

#329405 - 13/02/06 06:32 PM Re: February Xcursion Sat 18th, Coke Ovens
Double D Offline

According to the AZ Backcountry Adventures book there are no permits required for the Box Canyon Trail. Also I have been there 10 times in the last 5 years and never scene a sign requiring a permit. There are some entrances to some other trails that have signs posted, but not the box canyon trail.

See you at 9 on Saturday.

#329406 - 13/02/06 08:16 PM Re: February Xcursion Sat 18th, Coke Ovens
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sweet. Still sending in my application tho, I'm sure I'll need it later in the year and probably should have had one last year! lol. Thanks for the info David

#329407 - 13/02/06 08:26 PM Re: February Xcursion Sat 18th, Coke Ovens
Yzerman Offline

Loc: Cave Creek, AZ
I believe you only need a State Land Permit if you are on State Land. I've never been there, so somone else would know much better than I would if it is State Land or not.

I've never been stopped and asked for my permit, but I've heard about a few who have been caught and they pass out the ticket to each person (not each vehicle). So the fines can rack up fast if you have a truck load. From what I understand you have a very small chance of ever getting caught, but the State Land Permit is a good thing to have regardless of if you are worried about that. The money (I believe) goes to help keep trails on State Land open for use by ORV's such as ours.

#329408 - 14/02/06 06:32 AM Re: February Xcursion Sat 18th, Coke Ovens
NOSUP4U Offline

I'm sure Lee or Xrock would know for sure, I'm just going by memory here. Box Canyon isn't on State Land, but to access it, you go across a patch of state land. I think at times it is patrolled, but not often.

Anyway, thats my two cents. I could totally be wrong, but I was pretty sure Box Canyon was the trail with this issue.

Mark

#329409 - 14/02/06 09:15 AM Re: February Xcursion Sat 18th, Coke Ovens
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well my application is in the mail. I guess we'll see if the permit arrives in time - Might be a non-issue of it does. Kinda doubt they will be that quick at issuing it and getting it back tho.

#329410 - 14/02/06 10:06 AM Re: February Xcursion Sat 18th, Coke Ovens
NOSUP4U Offline

I doubt you'll have it back in time for this weekend. I talked to Brian (XROCK) this morning and he confirmed that the trail to Box Canyon does cross over State Trust land. I don't know of anyone in the club that has ever seen anyone out there checking permits. But I do remember having someone from the State office talk to our club about these permits a few years ago, and I think she used Box Canyon as an example of one of the places that they do checks from time to time.

Anyway, its very low risk. I just wanted to point it out.

Mark

#329411 - 14/02/06 10:28 AM Re: February Xcursion Sat 18th, Coke Ovens
Anonymous
Unregistered

Any other trails in the same area that don't risk hefty fines to myself and anyone else who doesn't have a permit? Come on - Own up, I know you all don't have one already!! lol

#329412 - 14/02/06 05:18 PM Re: February Xcursion Sat 18th, Coke Ovens
defibvt Offline

Loc: AZ
Got one today. Went to the office and got a family one.

#329413 - 14/02/06 06:09 PM Re: February Xcursion Sat 18th, Coke Ovens
Accasbel Offline

Loc: Chanhassen, MN USA
Quote:
Any other trails in the same area that don't risk hefty fines to myself and anyone else who doesn't have a permit? Come on - Own up, I know you all don't have one already!! lol
Rinkster, offroading is a pay-to-play sport, both in the equipment and accessories. Go find one of the Wide World of Maps storefronts. Wide World of Maps is a great mapping resource, definitely worth some time to walk through and browse at what's available. While there, buy yourself a Arizona Road and Recreation Atlas or the DeLorme\'s Arizona Atlas & Gazetteer . Better yet, get both. They will help you identify land ownership.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal