Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#348234 - 31/05/03 05:29 PM Re: Valves clicking noise when accelerating
Stonecoldchavez Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by kevinw:
Stonecoldchavez: Have you tried a tank of premium fuel? I didn't have this problem up until Feb/03 and I have owned and operated with 87 octane since Nov/99. Just give it a try and if it doesn't work, then move on to next possible resolution. I have read so many people with similar problems, but some resolutions work and some don't. Unless you want to take it into dealer, keep trying the easiest ones first!

Good Luck!
Today (Saturday) I put 93 octane in. It has not pinged so far. I cannot afford to keep running 93 octane though and shouldn't have to after 3 years of 87 octane.
If it is a bad gas problem.....I am testing this theory by switching brands of gas (I usually get Exxon) and second, I am wondering if is happening from switching to/from oxygenated gas that is used in New Joisey. I believe the state usually changes in April/May timeframe.

Of not the bad gas theory, I will then look into the other suggestions.

Stone

#348235 - 06/06/03 06:10 PM Re: Valves clicking noise when accelerating
XCFreak Offline

Loc: Your backyard
Stone,

You may want to check your timing. I just had mine checked and the timing was way too advanced (by about 4 degrees). Once the timing was adjusted to factory spec, the pinging was almost completely gone. I still get a bit of pinging under really heavy acceleration, but it's not as much as before.

I agree, buying premium fuel just to get rid of pinging is too expensive. Give the timing thing a try. It just might do the trick.

#348236 - 07/06/03 03:15 PM Re: Valves clicking noise when accelerating
Stonecoldchavez Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by XCFreak:
Stone,

You may want to check your timing. I just had mine checked and the timing was way too advanced (by about 4 degrees). Once the timing was adjusted to factory spec, the pinging was almost completely gone. I still get a bit of pinging under really heavy acceleration, but it's not as much as before.

I agree, buying premium fuel just to get rid of pinging is too expensive. Give the timing thing a try. It just might do the trick.
Thanks XCFreak. I will look into this if it ever stops raining here. frown It cannot hurt to check it.
For now, I still have the 93 octane in and I have had no pinging yet.

How much did your dealer charge to adjust your timing?

Stone

#348237 - 07/06/03 11:24 PM Re: Valves clicking noise when accelerating
XCFreak Offline

Loc: Your backyard
Well, I just told them my car has been pinging when climbing uphills or during hard acceleration and I said that they better check the timing or my engine is gonnna wear out prematurely. So they checked it for free. My dealer is pretty cool. You just gotta make it sound like it's a car design problem and not due to everyday use. I think the timing issue is well known with Nissan so I'm sure they'll look at it for free. The mechanic that fixed the timing said it happens to a lot of Nissans and that the computer mucks with the timing. Use that angle and they'll most likely fix it for you free of charge. Good luck.

#348238 - 18/06/03 02:04 AM Re: Valves clicking noise when accelerating
Pilot Offline

Loc: Houston
I always use Chevron Techron fuel additive at least twice per year, and also 2 tankfulls back to back (2 bottles)
This stuff enjoys the best reputation of any fuel additive for cleaning carbon deposits from valves, and pistons. Here is a copy of a few Q&A's from the Chevron web site on why and how it works.
I have never had a problem with pinging, and stick to this preventive maintenance schedule.

Pilot

The principal difference between TechronŽ and TechronŽ Concentrate is additive concentration and rate of deposit clean-up. At the concentration present in Chevron gasolines, TechronŽ over many tankfuls will help clean up deposits on intake valves without contributing to combustion chamber deposits. So, over time, Chevron gasolines with TechronŽ are able to reduce or eliminate deposit-related hesitation and stumbling during acceleration caused by deposits. A bottle of TechronŽ Concentrate, when added to gasoline according to the label instructions, results in an additive concentration roughly 10 times stronger than the dose in our gasolines. This mega-dose of TechronŽ provides a much quicker clean up of intake valve deposits left by lower quality gasolines. In addition, the high concentration of TechronŽ reduces combustion chamber deposits, which can help reduce or eliminate deposit-related engine knock and run-on.

Do I need to use TechronŽ Concentrate if I buy only Chevron gasoline?

If you're a loyal buyer of exclusively Chevron gasolines, your car very likely is delivering its best possible performance and operating at its lowest possible emissions. A bottle of TechronŽ Concentrate, therefore, is not likely to provide any benefits. However, if you sometimes purchase a lower quality gasoline, you should try TechronŽ Concentrate to quickly restore performance lost due to deposit accumulation.

Is TechronŽ just a more diluted version of TechronŽ Concentrate?
Not precisely. While both are polyether amines of very similar structure, each is optimized for its particular application. TechronŽ cleans engines and keeps them clean through regular use of a lower additive dose, while TechronŽ Concentrate provides a quicker clean-up through intermittent use of a higher additive dose.>

http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/fuels/gas_qanda/tech_con.shtml

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal