Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#375615 - 16/09/01 10:32 PM Re: Hey Ian
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
Quote:
Originally posted by XROCK:
Hey Todrick- don't take what was said wrong. My comments were in no way a personal attack on you or the trip you've got set up/ Looks like a lot of fun.
Hopefully next year it won't be so close to GOX-

My point was they don't have a "Sturgis West" or "Mardi Gras West" Kinda keeps the original with the certain cool factor that made everyone drive so far to get there.

Obviously it's a moot point, since it's a done deal with the naming, just wanted to let you know where I was coming from on that. I thought "Calico X Invasion", like you had it named sounded a little cooler too!
Like I said- Have an awesome trip and post some pictures when you're done!

it was not your comments (you prefaced them appropriately) that i took personally...

I do regret that it wound up so close to GOX..

but It just seems appropriate considering the number of different states coming...

someone else mentioned that "any group of 10 Xterras could be called GOX", and that is really insane... AZXC for instance regularly has 15 or more... what makes this different is it is largely people who otherwise would never meet(much like GOX)

Has "Snoopy" ever met "Imacsae", "Jackel" ever met "Xterrian", "Merchantofvenicebeach" ever met "Number41"... no, and they would not if not for this event...

It is a western Gathering of Xterras... the name makes a lot of sense...

I promise next year there will be a much larger gap (3-6 months) from GOX... but part of the rush was where people are coming from and the other thing was to be only 1 year behind GOX.

as for "Strugis West", no, but sturgis is a place not a title... now ask yourself how many HOG rallies there are... you see GOX is the gathering for Xterra owners much like HOG(Harley owners group) is for harleys...(thanks for illustrating with Harleys... i own one) smile

again, i in no way took your comments as a personal attack, In fact I hope you are able to attend both GOX & GOXWest next year... because while it is western centered... it is not western Xclusive laugh

[ 09-16-2001: Message edited by: Todrick ]

#375616 - 17/09/01 09:16 AM Re: Hey Ian
Schludwiller Offline

Loc: Redmond,WA
Quote:
Originally posted by Synchro:

and not to get all sentimental, but GOX is a special event in some peoples eyes. a yearly event where everyone from all over the coutry get together for an event. where people only see each other and hang out at that event. you get to finally meet someone that is only a faceless person on a message board. wheeling with them, drink with them, pay for shingles to be gotten and what not. why do you think some people drive thousands of miles to attend???? and sleep in rest stops and wal-mart parking lots in 50 degres temps after driving their second day of 16 hour drives trying to make it there for the beginning of the event?? if the event and the people didn't have something special to it, people wouldn't make that trek. so in my opinion, you calling your event as such takes away from the event that is GOX.

Exactly!

All you're doing is dilluting an event that is very special to those who make the effort to attend.

You don't understand because you've never been.

#375617 - 17/09/01 09:50 AM Re: Hey Ian
Todrick Offline

maybe not, maybe i dont undestand.

but it doesn't matter...

I want to hold an event where Xterra's and their owners, who normally would not meet, can gather...

Someone mentioned GOXWest and i remembered when the idea was tossed around of SCCX organizing it...(they choose a different name/theme) so i simply asked the creator...

Obviously you have a different vision of what GOX is/should be then the person who created it...

basicly everyone should have the opportunity to be part of such an event, there is no need to exclude people, the whole point is to spread the word/love/experience of owning/loving your xterra...

GOXWest is not a dillution of GOX... It is a part of GOX(at least the way i see it), I hope that someone on the east coast decides that it would be nice to expand on an already great idea by letting people who can not make it all the way to Colorado(and people who can) experience even a glimpse of what is to be had at GOX...

everyone keeps saying GOX is special because it is where people who wouldn't meet do... so what about those who cant make GOX, dont you think it would be cool to meet them too..

the only reason i missed GOX this year was timing(long story) but i can Attend/host GOXWest and in the process get to hang with people who both did and did not make the national Gathering

#375618 - 17/09/01 10:10 AM Re: Hey Ian
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by Todrick:
Obviously you have a different vision of what GOX is/should be then the person who created it...

Not really, Schlud and Synchro have valid arguments, and I agree with them.

However, I am looking at the long term, when there are 3 or 4 GOX events every year, with hundreds of attendees.

I don't think anything will really dilute GOX, since it should grow every year, and still be the premier event.

#375619 - 17/09/01 10:21 AM Re: Hey Ian
Todrick Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:

However, I am looking at the long term, when there are 3 or 4 GOX events every year, with hundreds of attendees.

I don't think anything will really dilute GOX, since it should grow every year, and still be the premier event.

i have to agree that it is a long term thing... this event is obviously going to be small, but it will grow...

I cant understand the issue with 3 or 4 a year when you look 5 or more years down the road...

at that point i think the smaller(regional) GOX's will have a hundred or so and the national GOX in Ouray will be huge...

thanks again ian, I just hope that I can make next years event a huge success(this year will be cool, but it will also be a lot of talking about what to do next year)

#375620 - 17/09/01 10:57 AM Re: Hey Ian
Schludwiller Offline

Quote:

A few things I have trouble with. One, this whole GoX West thing just looks thrown together at the last second. That makes it seem insincere and borrowing from the success of an event that many of us feel connected to (even if we didn't start it).

PWNX had a recent trip in Washington with owners coming from Canada. There were also owners from Oregon and Washington that hadn't met yet either. We didn't call it GoPNWX. It's just another trip that is organized by a club, like any of the other regional clubs. Are we going to start calling every weekend offroading trip in the US a Go-Whatever?

Who decided that you guys are the directors of Gathering of Xterras West? Just because Ian didn't have a problem with you using his logo? Calico California is just as far a drive for me as Ouray, CO (20 hours). So much for holding an event that is trying to include owners who couldn't make GoX. If you were really trying to be inclusive you would hold something in Southern Oregon.

So now should we start GoPNWX for those that can't reach GoXWest? Well that would be stupid since that's just another PNWX weekend outing. Get my point?

I just see this all the time. An event is cool because there is something special about it that not everyone can experience. Then the PC crowd comes in and wants to make it available to everyone and guess what. It turns to crap, and people wonder what all the fuss was about the original event.

Burning man was cool before the press heard about it.

The Friars club was funny and irreverent before they started televising it.

Punk Rock was cool when a band on tour played in your basement. Now Greenday is called Punk Rock and 5000 people show up.

Whatever. Have GoX-West. I hope lots of 2WD's show up. Maybe you should have some Escapes there too. I mean they're almostlike Xterra owners right?

#375621 - 17/09/01 10:58 AM Re: Hey Ian
XOC Offline
Admin

We'll just have to see how it works out in the long run.

GOX East is still available if you ever want to rename the East Coast Xterra Challenge.

#375622 - 17/09/01 11:24 AM Re: Hey Ian
Todrick Offline

I do care about others feelings...

but what am i supposed to do, change it because it offends a few... sorry im not that PC.

I hope everyone can get over this minor disagreement, its not a huge deal.

yes "GOXWest" was slapped on the event at the last minute, and as ive stated that makes it tough, but the event would have happened none the less and it will again next year, so why wait.

Inthe end the event will happen, and next year it will again(with a larger turn out) hopefully one day anyone who has a problem will decide that the name is a good thing and attend...

this isn't really debatable, some of you have hurt feelings, and I want to hold a special event... and have it grow in time...
we may never come to a middle ground.

I hope one day everyone can come together and enjoy this event as they currently enjoy GOX,

until then,

Keep the rubber side down, and have fun!

#375623 - 17/09/01 11:38 AM Re: Hey Ian
Schludwiller Offline

Great peckerhead.

I'll be holding GoX West too this weekend. We're going to drive to the supermarket for the first trail.

I'll be making shirts and stickers. Hopefully this event will grow. I'm sure as I hold weekly GoX West events the popularity will grow. Quantity IS Quality, right?

Since anyone can have a GoX I'm hoping GoX Redmond, GoX Tacoma, GoX Portland, GoX Eugene, GoX Sacramento, GoX SanFrancisco, and GoX LA will be large successes too.

Nobody is saying you can't hold your event. Just use your brain and try and come up with an original name. No wonder you were kicked out of your club.

Fucking moron.

#375624 - 17/09/01 11:40 AM Re: Hey Ian
Todrick Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Schludwiller:
Who decided that you guys are the directors of Gathering of Xterras West? Just because Ian didn't have a problem with you using his logo?

ok so who made ian director of GOX? if there was a vote im sorry i didn't know.

i am open to others assistance, putting on an annual event like this is tons of work... with limited time, i have 4 or 5 people helping organize things as we speak, if you feel left out i would be happy to have your help.

Quote:
Calico California is just as far a drive for me as Ouray, CO (20 hours). So much for holding an event that is trying to include owners who couldn't make GoX

this has been mentioned... it was borught to my attention that it may be a good idea to move it, yearly...

i have no idea if that is a good idea or not, im torn.

but all this i assume will be discussed at Calico, I would love to do an event in southern oregon, if you have some suggestions for location let me know...

its further south but Anza Borrego also comes to mind as a good spot with a wide variety of terrain, I know there are some great places in Washington, maybe out to the vegas area...

Quote:

Whatever. Have GoX-West. I hope lots of 2WD's show up. Maybe you should have some Escapes there too. I mean they're [b]almost
like Xterra owners right? [/b]

this is just insane... im not trying to make an event like GOX... Im trying to make one that is an extension of GOX, as for the 2wd, were their not 2wd's at GOX, there are deffinately trails near calico that are not 2wd friendly, however there is lots to do for the 2wd's as well, with a small(less than 30) group it is a damn good location with a variety of terrain.

at this point im not ruling anything out, but the event i think should happen.

It was mentioned that there may be more people who have a probelm with it being called GOXWest... well guess what that means there are probably also more people who Don't have a problem...

it is not a dillution but an Extension, whats the harm in that,

#375625 - 17/09/01 11:47 AM Re: Hey Ian
XOC Offline
Admin

Hmm... I'm changing my stance a bit on this, due to thoughts expressed by a few people who really have gone out of their way to make GOX what it is.

Use the GOXWest logo, and we'll see how it works out. After the event, I will decide on what happens with the name, and if the venue needs to change.

#375626 - 17/09/01 11:48 AM Re: Hey Ian
Todrick Offline

Quote:

Since anyone can have a GoX I'm hoping GoX Redmond, GoX Tacoma, GoX Portland, GoX Eugene, GoX Sacramento, GoX SanFrancisco, and GoX LA will be large successes too.

no that would suck... what ian intended(as far as i can tell) is 3 maybe 4 a year... 1 national and 2 or 3 regional

Quote:

Nobody is saying you can't hold your event. Just use your brain and try and come up with an original name. No wonder you were kicked out of your club.
Fucking moron.

ok do the research, i was not thrown out... i quit, it wasn't worth arguing about... and i think that the club and I have both grown and become better form the xperience...

Im sorry you are so offended...
I didn't mean to offend anyone, why do you think i asked ian...

I can debate till we both drop dead and nothing will change... Im holding an event that people where interested in attending, and when looking at who had said they were coming the realization came that this event was much Like GOX...

I hope someone picks up the ball for GOXEast so all the events are of similar age, it would be nice...

#375627 - 17/09/01 11:51 AM Re: Hey Ian
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:

Ian Gilliland or Ian Firth ?

If you mean me, then I made myself director of GOX, because... umm... I created it.

Do me a favor, pull the GOX west logo off your site, we'll discuss this again next year.

#375628 - 17/09/01 11:53 AM Re: Hey Ian
Schludwiller Offline

Bah. I don't care anymore.

Have fun.

#375629 - 17/09/01 11:56 AM Re: Hey Ian
Todrick Offline

Quote:

Ian Gilliland or Ian Firth ?

If you mean me, then I made myself director of GOX, because... umm... I created it.

Do me a favor, pull the GOX west logo off your site, we'll discuss this again next year.

no...

i'll pull it off

but im not sure it will be wise to discuss it next year, we will meet the same resistance.

im running out the door, so i will pull the site down tonight

[ 09-17-2001: Message edited by: Todrick ]

#375630 - 17/09/01 12:43 PM Re: Hey Ian
liv2x Offline

Loc: Sumner, WA
Quote:

Who decided that you guys are the directors of Gathering of Xterras West? Just because Ian didn't have a problem with you using his logo?

I guess Todrick did. Just like Ian did with GOX

Originally posted by XOC:

Whatever. Have GoX-West. I hope lots of 2WD's show up. Maybe you should have some Escapes there too. I mean they're [b]almostlike Xterra owners right? [/b]

I guess this is part of the reason I didn't join PNWX because of the attitude of we are the all o'mighty and nobody is better than us attitude.

[ 09-17-2001: Message edited by: liv2x ]

[ 09-17-2001: Message edited by: liv2x ]

#375631 - 17/09/01 01:07 PM Re: Hey Ian
Schludwiller Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by liv2x:
[QB]

I guess this is part of the reason I didn't join PNWX because of the attitude of we are the all o'mighty and nobody is better than us attitude.

QB]

Nice of you to assign my personal sentiments to a group of individuals. You must not have ever gone on a trail run or you would know how far from the truth your statement is.

#375632 - 17/09/01 01:53 PM Re: Hey Ian
LAXterra Offline

Loc: West Los Angeles, CA
Ian Firth,

Thank you

Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

#375633 - 17/09/01 02:38 PM Re: Hey Ian
liv2x Offline

Loc: Sumner, WA
Quote:

Nice of you to assign my personal sentiments to a group of individuals. You must not have ever gone on a trail run or you would know how far from the truth your statement is.

Well maybe I am wrong but it does seem to me that if I remember correctly, that you lead the Washington part of the PNWX club and if your attitude is of any indication of the club as a hole then maybe my statement isn't very far from the truth. Now if that is not the case, I apologize to the members of PNWX for my lack of knowledge. I can only judge you from what I have read.

As far as going on a trail run with you guys, last I checked you made it mandatory to become a member before PNWX would allow anyone to go on a PNWX trail run. I'm not going to join something on blind faith alone.

#375634 - 17/09/01 02:46 PM Re: Hey Ian
Todrick Offline

liv2x...

are you still coming?

I really would be happy to have the opportunity to meet you...

it seems we both dislike the same things

#375635 - 17/09/01 03:01 PM Re: Hey Ian
Schludwiller Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by liv2x:

Well maybe I am wrong but it does seem to me that if I remember correctly, that you lead the Washington part of the PNWX club and if your attitude is of any indication of the club as a hole then maybe my statement isn't very far from the truth. Now if that is not the case, I apologize to the members of PNWX for my lack of knowledge. I can only judge you from what I have read.

As far as going on a trail run with you guys, last I checked you made it mandatory to become a member before PNWX would allow anyone to go on a PNWX trail run. I'm not going to join something on blind faith alone.

Might I suggest you turn to some of the events in the news to get a better understanding of the problem of assigning the statements of an individual to an entire group.

Reread your messages. You have never been on a club run. You are not on the mailing list, and from that I can extract you don't know any of the members personally. Yet you feel this qualifies you to make blanket statements of 50+ people.

Regardless I have not made any statement on behalf of PNWX regarding this topic. They are my own opinions.

#375636 - 17/09/01 03:21 PM Re: Hey Ian
Todrick Offline

OK... obviously it was a lot of work to fix the site(i assumed there was no problem so did not use style sheets) so....

it is the same color, i just chaged the logo's and omited any referance to GOX...

that said:

I am pleased to announce

WEST X 2001

I hope you all can make it

Ian... Sorry, i will change the design after this event, i only used yours because it made the most sense to have some kind of framiliarity within the GOX name... and it was a good design smile

Thanks again for the opportunity, i wish it would have been better recieved

[ 09-17-2001: Message edited by: Todrick ]

#375637 - 17/09/01 03:25 PM Re: Hey Ian
Griffin's_Girl Offline

Loc: TX
Quote:
OK... obviously it was a lot of work to fix the site(i assumed there was no problem so did not use style sheets) so....

it is the same color, i just chaged the logo's and omited any referance to GOX...

that said:

[b]I am pleased to announce

WEST X 2001

I hope you all can make it

[ 09-17-2001: Message edited by: Todrick ][/b]

BTW, I like this name better anyway... GOX West just didn't seem to sound right to me.

Sorry some people decided to be such a pain in the ass about it. I bet they didn't share their toys when they were kids either! smile

Good luck Todrick...

#375638 - 17/09/01 03:31 PM Re: Hey Ian
Todrick Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Griffin's_Girl:

Sorry some people decided to be such a pain in the ass about it. I bet they didn't share their toys when they were kids either! smile

Good luck Todrick...

so, dont just wish good luck... its only a short drive wink to El Paso where you can do the rest with "Imacsae" laugh

BTW thanks,

funny thing,

both trips i've organized to Calico start as an un-official thing,

someone suggests it be made official,

and then all hell breaks loose around the name...

i think im better off just doing it as my own event...

#375639 - 17/09/01 03:33 PM Re: Hey Ian
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:

that said:

[b]I am pleased to announce

WEST X 2001

[/b]

Well, that didn't turn out too bad.
West X actually has a cool ring to it.

Now take the idea, and run with it.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal