2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#388347 - 23/06/06 07:28 AM off road driving schools?
Anonymous
Unregistered

hoping this is in the right forum... smile

any comments/suggestions on off road driving schools/classes?

introductory level, kind of a "do's and do not's", and basic stuff...

something in the southern new jersey area would be nice... smile

#388348 - 23/06/06 07:40 AM Re: off road driving schools?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Join NJAX and go out on some runs with them. Let them know you are new to the wheeling thing and they can help you out. Wheeling is one of those things you learn by doing and the do's and don't's are more a long the common sense side of things. The only thing where I think some sort of real instruction is needed, is when recovering a vehicle.

#388349 - 23/06/06 07:41 AM Re: off road driving schools?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Your best bet would be to hook up with you local xterra club - NJAX

#388350 - 23/06/06 07:50 AM Re: off road driving schools?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was fortunate enough to make a run with Bill Burke about a year and a half ago now. It was my introduction to off-roading, and really got me into the hobby/sport. He is really good at making you push to the edge of your vehicle and driving ability, without going over the line. His spotting is perfect, knowledge of the trails and regional history probably unmatched, and is just one hell of a cool guy to wheel with. linky to his website

That said it is expensive, and going out with local clubs is free. How much do you want to learn, and how fast? Bill might push you up a couple knothces in confidence and recovery skill in a weekend; the same learning curve on your own or with a local club may take a few more runs. What always kept me from going back to Bill was the idea that the money spent there, could go for some more serious mods on the truck. But, if money was no object for me I'd be back in a second.

#388351 - 23/06/06 08:32 AM Re: off road driving schools?
Anonymous
Unregistered

i saw on PAP's webiste that they had something like that. im not sure if they still have it or not b/c they just have the video now.

#388352 - 23/06/06 10:53 AM Re: off road driving schools?
Anonymous
Unregistered

i registered on the njax website and will keep my eyes open there... thanks... smile

having attended a couple of "street" driving schools in the past, i learned how little i knew about proper driving techniques (when i though i knew so much before :rolleyes: )... i figured it couldn't hurt to try and find something similar...

thanks again... i'll watch for the local club runs and will go and observe/do what others there do...

#388353 - 23/06/06 11:01 AM Re: off road driving schools?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Unless you get into serious rock crawling, 90% of wheeling is watching and trusting your spotter.

Also, ECXC is coming up in about a month. I don't know if registration is officially closed yet or not, but that would be a great event to get to learn things.

www.ecxc.com

#388354 - 23/06/06 07:34 PM Re: off road driving schools?
k_enn Offline

Loc: Northern New Jersey
ccotenj, here are the boards of several clubs in the NJ/Pa area that periodically wheel at Paragon (Hazelton, PA) or Rausch Creek (Tremont, Pa):

http://bb.njax.net/
http://www.niora4x4club.com/phpBB2/index.php
http://www.xterrafirma.com/
http://fat4x4.com/bulletin/index.php
http://forum.ne4wd.org/
http://christiancrawlers.org/phpBB/index.php

Some of the clubs/boards are more active than others. Just keep an eye open on the boards, and come on out. Any of these groups will be more than glad to help out a new comer.

However, keep in mind that for Xterra people, there may not be much activity until after ECXC, a four day event in July, because (a) they are busy preparing their trucks for the event, or (b) they don't want to risk damage before the event. Things may pick up a bit in August/Sept.

k_enn

PS, what you learned in "street driving" school has little to do with off-roading. I used to run a lot of autocrossing in SCCA and similar street driving in my old porsche, and virtually none of that carries over into off-roading (other than avoiding quickly upsetting the balancing of the vehicle and perhaps heal-and-toe technique if you drive a stick).
[PS added and typos corrected]

#388355 - 24/06/06 05:35 AM Re: off road driving schools?
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks k_enn, i'll watch those sites... checked the ecxc site, too late to sign up... frown oh well, there will be others...

i hear you on the "street driving" not carrying over... i was using that as an example of "man i learned a lot when someone who really knew what they were doing showed me what to do"... smile

#388356 - 24/06/06 04:12 PM Re: off road driving schools?
k_enn Offline

Loc: Northern New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by ccotenj:
thanks k_enn, i'll watch those sites... checked the ecxc site, too late to sign up... frown oh well, there will be others...
smile
Try sending a email to Mike a/k/a Swampwrecker at ECXC and let him know that you just recently got the Xterra, and just heard about ECXC. Aske him if you can still sign up -- no harm in asking and maybe he will say yes under those circumstances.
k_enn

#388357 - 25/06/06 02:29 PM Re: off road driving schools?
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks k_enn, but before i ask for a "special exemption", i need to check with swmbo to make sure she can take that thursday and friday off on such short notice... i'd hate to ask for something and then not be able to use it...

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal