Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#389912 - 28/01/03 11:02 AM Lifting in NJ
XmtbX00 Offline

Loc: Denver
Will I have any trouble getting through NJ inspection with a lift? I remember hearing years ago about stability tests.

Thanks,
Ron

#389913 - 28/01/03 11:22 AM Re: Lifting in NJ
Anonymous
Unregistered

how big of a lift are you putting on?? i know there's some stipulation about the rocker panel being so high, or something like that. I know todd (fsrbiker) posted something about that in NJAX (on yahoo). are you a member? if so, look for it in the archives.

I know that todd was able to pass (if i'm not mistaken) with at least a 3" body and 3" susp. lift

#389914 - 28/01/03 11:57 AM Re: Lifting in NJ
XmtbX00 Offline

Loc: Denver
Cool, I'm only looking to do a 3" suspension lift. I just joined NJAX the other day, I haven't checked out the Yahoo page yet, I'll look into it.

Thanks,
Ron

#389915 - 28/01/03 03:03 PM Re: Lifting in NJ
Stonecoldchavez Offline

Loc: New Jersey
A 3" suspension lift is not a problem in NJ. I have seen trucks with 6"+.

There is something about the tires sticking too far out of the wheel wells though. That is why the Jeep guys put the fender flairs on.

Stone

#389916 - 26/02/03 04:07 PM Re: Lifting in NJ
JerseyX Offline

Loc: Manchester Twp. NJ
I know this post is kinda old now but i am updating. I just got home from the inspection station and they FAILED me for my tires being out past the fenders. This i understand. But they also failed me for being to high off the ground. HELLO...I DON'T EVEN HAVE A F@#$ING LIFT. The only thing that could have raised my truck at all is my tires. And those only went from stock(265) to 31's. Thats only like 1/2inch. Now, one of my best friends fathers works there so he over-road the failing things, but he told me that with the drivers side door open, the bottom of the door can't be higher than 22 inches. Anyway... THIS STATE SUCKS A$$

#389917 - 26/02/03 09:28 PM Re: Lifting in NJ
Dayspring Offline

Loc: Greenwood IN
Here's the question- are you running aftermarket rims? Because the specs on those may be off and THAT'S why you failed- they stick out further than the OEM ones.

#389918 - 27/02/03 07:28 AM Re: Lifting in NJ
Stonecoldchavez Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by JerseyX:
I know this post is kinda old now but i am updating. I just got home from the inspection station and they FAILED me for my tires being out past the fenders. This i understand. But they also failed me for being to high off the ground. HELLO...I DON'T EVEN HAVE A F@#$ING LIFT. The only thing that could have raised my truck at all is my tires. And those only went from stock(265) to 31's. Thats only like 1/2inch. Now, one of my best friends fathers works there so he over-road the failing things, but he told me that with the drivers side door open, the bottom of the door can't be higher than 22 inches. Anyway... THIS STATE SUCKS A$$
JerseyX,

Where did you get inspected? That is really weird. I passed inspection last summer with no problems and that was even with my tinted windows.

Stone

#389919 - 27/02/03 10:17 AM Re: Lifting in NJ
dano Offline

Loc: Ridgefield Park, NJ
Your Inspector is full of shit. Here is the breakdown of lifts based per GVWR:

Maximum lift heights for GVWR 4500 lbs and under... 7" above original vehicle height.

Maximum lift heights for GVWR 4501 - 7500 lbs... 9" above original vehicle height.

Maximum lift heights for GVWR 7501 - 10,000 lbs... 11" above original vehicle height.

Note these include suspension, tires, body lifts all in one.

Todd noted it in the Yahoo board, the more you add to your truck, the heavier the GVWR hence the more lift you can get away with in theory. I'm just not sure how to do that.

As far as lifts, you can go up to 4 inches of lift before those "stability tests" can be required of your vehicle. As far as I know of, there are only 3 centers that conduct these tests.
But the man worthwhile
is the man who can smile
when his shorts are too tight in the seat.

#389920 - 27/02/03 01:04 PM Re: Lifting in NJ
JerseyX Offline

Loc: Manchester Twp. NJ
I brought it to the inspection station in lakewood on route 70. Never again.

#389921 - 27/02/03 01:47 PM Re: Lifting in NJ
Stonecoldchavez Offline

I go to the one on Rt.38 in Vincetown/Mt. Holly. Never had a problem there, ever. Even when I used to bring my Chevelle in.

Stone

#389922 - 03/03/03 09:44 AM Re: Lifting in NJ
Xterra Rick Offline

Loc: Malta NY
Quote:
I brought it to the inspection station in lakewood on route 70. Never again.
That office sucks......I have had problems with that office before....not with the X yet though.

#389923 - 18/03/03 08:21 PM Re: Lifting in NJ
swampwrecker Offline

Loc: Brunswick, GA
Quote:
A regular inspection station can't fail you because you are too tall. In fact that won't even inspect you, they'll direct you to call one of the 3 Lift Inspection sites to get your truck inspected there.

Yes, you will fail regular inspection if your tires are not covered by the vehicle's body or fender flares.

There are a fair number of states that have it worse off than NJ does.

-Michael

#389924 - 18/03/03 08:31 PM Re: Lifting in NJ
swampwrecker Offline

Loc: Brunswick, GA
Quote:
Originally posted by dano:
Todd noted it in the Yahoo board, the more you add to your truck, the heavier the GVWR hence the more lift you can get away with in theory. I'm just not sure how to do that.
That's not correct. They do not weigh your vehicle and adjust your GVWR. They look at what a stock vehicle weighs and determine how high you can lift from stock GVWR. So don't waste your time weighing your X down, it's not going to help (althouh it may help with the stability test).

The inspectors are very arbitrary. I have heard some aweful stories about inspectors that inspect every single detail while others are only concerned about certain things. Most of the people who have horror stories went to the Lakewood office.

You are better off being hassled by going through the lift inspection and getting a lift inspection sticker than have a Ranger write you a ticket and impound your truck because he thinks it should have gone through the lift inspection. The main thing NJ is concerned with are people who throw together poor, custom made lifts that aren't stable and will lead to accidents on the highway. And people that are running tires that are 6" over stock or 38" tall (which ever is shorter).

I know I will have to go through the lift inspection with 2" suspension, 2" body lift and 33x12.50 tires. It'll suck because the nearest inspection station is about an hour away, but since I spend a fair amount of my wheeling in NJ state forests, I'll take the insurance that having that sticker offers when I have a run in with a forest ranger.

-Michael

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal