2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#392022 - 19/01/06 05:48 PM Calmini swing away
Anonymous
Unregistered

--Well I finaly got my spare tire swing-away from Calmini---(5-weeks) I was told , by them the 05 would fit the 06 Xterra--Yea kind of, the steel and powder coating and champfered holes are SUPREME-but too small- the (3) per side frame (3/4 in) bolt holes are about .75"thousands too SMALL, probably because of the powder coating--OK so I reamed them out-BAD FIT. Now the latching mechanism to release the swing is CHICKEN-SHIT it is so haphazard I had to be sure and strap secure it to keep the swing away from swinging away---I would not buy it, just wait for the Shrock unit. i'm sure it's a lot better.I just wasted 800 bucks, no I modified it to work , but shouldn't have to--just ranting --JIMBO

#392023 - 19/01/06 06:02 PM Re: Calmini swing away
Anonymous
Unregistered

sorry to hear that jimbo, you have any pics of it? i would like to see what some of the issues are on it.

#392024 - 19/01/06 06:11 PM Re: Calmini swing away
fastdrmr Offline

Loc: SLC, UT
Jimbo... or gymbo...

Dude, relax. You're the first 06 out there with the rear carrier. So you had to do a little bit of "work!"

You are the exact guy that I posted about in this thread: http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=78;t=001201;p=2

I don't think you have an inferior product... you just don't know what you have... damn newbie! [Finger]

BTW - mine has been on order since July 4th and I ain't complaining... its people that are unappreciative like YOU that make product developement slow down! Way to go!

#392025 - 19/01/06 07:07 PM Re: Calmini swing away
Anonymous
Unregistered

--Yofastdrmr, you're a fucking idiot I'm not a god damn "newbie" after 5 weeks of New delivery dates and constant assurance that the "engineering" was perfect ie;05/06 and

#392026 - 19/01/06 07:15 PM Re: Calmini swing away
DesertHB Offline

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by gymbo:
--Well I finaly got my spare tire swing-away from Calmini---(5-weeks) I was told , by them the 05 would fit the 06 Xterra--Yea kind of, the steel and powder coating and champfered holes are SUPREME-but too small- the (3) per side frame (3/4 in) bolt holes are about .75"thousands too SMALL, probably because of the powder coating--OK so I reamed them out-BAD FIT. Now the latching mechanism to release the swing is CHICKEN-SHIT it is so haphazard I had to be sure and strap secure it to keep the swing away from swinging away---I would not buy it, just wait for the Shrock unit. i'm sure it's a lot better.I just wasted 800 bucks, no I modified it to work , but shouldn't have to--just ranting --JIMBO
Did you call and talk to David at Calmini about the problem before you decided to "modified it work" and then get on XOC to rant about it? I have a feeling that a phone call is all that is needed to resolve the problem.
Just an FYI, Calmini does look at the posts on this board. You might want to act like an adult when you talk to them rather than the 10 year old that your post shows. I'm not saying that your gripe is not real, just that there are way better ways of dealing with them.
Just for the record, I had one of the first tire carriers for the older gen X. I had a problem where it would pop open on wash board roads. A run by their shop and about 15 min later the problem was solved.

-Doug

#392027 - 19/01/06 07:27 PM Re: Calmini swing away
Anonymous
Unregistered

Do I notice a trend here...

Everytime that gymbo is involved in a thread he jumps all over someone that is being nice to him?

gymbo, glad to see that you were able to inform others of possible concerns with the Calmini rear bumper for the 05/06.

Please post some pics to show the rest of us.

Thanks,

Rob

#392028 - 19/01/06 07:53 PM Re: Calmini swing away
Anonymous
Unregistered

I guess I should post in this thread. I also ordered the swing away bumper. If most of you readers remember my saga. I posted when I ordered (Aug 8th) I posted when I had a tracking number. I posted when it arrived (with pictures including instructions and shipping condition) I posted when I installed up to and including the wrong flange shipped and reamed bolt hole sizes.(with pictures) I posted with my fix for a plastic bushing to solve the latch slop(with pictures) AND finally I posted when the right flange arrived and was stamped "05" and showed pictures of the finished install (with and without a tire cover) Is anyone else out there in the dark about what to expect from this new swing away carrier? More pictures perhaps?

Here:

http://community.webshots.com/user/chrishaynesusa

#392029 - 19/01/06 08:09 PM Re: Calmini swing away
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gymbo, I think that your post is a little uncalled for. And what's up was jumping on those that are just trying to be helpful?...

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you would have read into a couple posts here on xoc( i.e. chrishaynesusa and fastdrmr's posts about their installations) you would have realized that there were still quirks that are being worked out. As posted by DesertHB and others, there are always issues when you are one of the firsts...

No need to rant so quickly. If there are issues, contact the manufacturer (Calmini in this instance) or do a quick search. XOC has a lot of useful information...

Enjoy your mods... [ThumbsUp]

#392030 - 19/01/06 11:12 PM Re: Calmini swing away
Anonymous
Unregistered

i'm trying to get my ass into the auto industry and what i've learned is when companies produce brand spankin new items/cars, there will always be kinks that need to be worked out. you have problems and you complain and when you complain the company fixes what you complained about to make there product better. so now gymbo call calmini, tell them your situation and they will work with you and not against you. i called calmini about my ball joints wearing rapidly they said "take pictures send it to us for evaluation" and i haven't taken those pictures. so my point is that they were willing to work with me but too bad i'm too lazy to take a few pictures to resolve my problem.

#392031 - 20/01/06 03:56 AM Re: Calmini swing away
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by gymbo:
Gymbo,

If you are looking for sympathy, you should probaly pull your head out of your ass first so you can use your eyes. If you are an asshole nobody is going to go out of thier way to help you out. Also if you read the sticky post at the top of the page you will discover that this is not the forum to bitch and moan. Sooo.... [Save the fine unicorns] [Wave]

Oh BTW.. you may want to put a lock on that spare tire so you can avoid any future desires for legal action towards Calmini. wink

#392032 - 20/01/06 06:14 AM Re: Calmini swing away
Anonymous
Unregistered

-Allright, you guys are somewhat right and I posted by displeasure without proper consideration---I SINCERELY APPOLOGIZE --Sinagua, I'm sorry if it appears that way, but that part about my RANT isn't true. I love off-road clubs-have been in several and was president of the Paradise club. Now all of my years off-road have been-as I said- in Dodge/Ford and JEEP now that has been for over 40 years, so I am new (only) to Xterra. I won't apologize for my displeasure of CALMINI, because I had discussed these problems with them several times and I still get the $849 bumper screwed up. Now it's installed and I have modified it and installed a lock, just for the reasons we talked about (Latch mechanism)-I'm sorry this is so long, but I want you guys to get my points Try not to think I'm an asshole because I,m not--Now I've already orderd Shrocks Sliders and I've seen how communicative he is with fitting problems so I will be so much more agreeable when I get his parts-again please excuse me --And it's JIMBO not gymbo I only used that name to get on the posting register--Please just bear with me I have good things to say about off-roading-- [Spit] [Spit] JIMBO

#392033 - 20/01/06 07:03 AM Re: Calmini swing away
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jimbo (see, I got the spelling right),
You are a noob, no matter how many years expderience you have wheeling Jeeps, Dodges, or Fords. You are NEW to the world of Nissan, specifically Xterra, offroading and the hastle we have with aftermarket parts. While I sympathise with you over your Calmini issue, I had to do some modification with my Skid Row rear bumper to get it mounted properly. I did the modifications only AFTER I had talked to Skid Row about it, and I had two choices, drill out some holes, or send it back, and wait another month or two for a new one...I chose to break out the drill.
So, chill out.

#392034 - 20/01/06 09:57 AM Re: Calmini swing away
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
I like the way a first issue of a product is SUPPOSED to be shit, and THEN fixed/De-Bugged.

Its a great system. Really. Makes perfect sense...and should be emulated by every industry.

laugh

That's why I never buy the first model year of anything...it hasn't been de-bugged yet...

Everyone who is nice enough to buy the first year shit, so that they can be used as guinia pigs, does the REST of us a great service.

They get shit, WE get gold.

laugh

Shrockworks is the only one I broke my rule over, and, it is OK, Shrock's stuff get's de-bugged pretty good BEFORE he sends it out.

laugh

As he's human...I assume that he cannot know all the potential issues untill a few rigs with different tolerances, etc...get mounted, etc...just like ALL the aftemarket companies...No One can guess every problem...not Shrock, Not Calmini, etc.

So - No matter WHO you buy from, the "first pancake gets thrown out" rule should apply.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#392035 - 20/01/06 04:08 PM Re: Calmini swing away
Anonymous
Unregistered

--Yo tj, like I said you're a negotiator-and I THINK we understand each other?!--JIMBO

#392036 - 20/01/06 09:10 PM Re: Calmini swing away
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by fastdrmr:
Jimbo... or gymbo...

Dude, relax. You're the first 06 out there with the rear carrier. So you had to do a little bit of "work!"

You are the exact guy that I posted about in this thread: http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=78;t=001201;p=2

I don't think you have an inferior product... you just don't know what you have... damn newbie! [Finger]

BTW - mine has been on order since July 4th and I ain't complaining... its people that are unappreciative like YOU that make product developement slow down! Way to go!
Yeah you guys are right for flaming gymbo..... You pay 800 bucks for a product you are told will work and no doubt you should have to modify it to fit. Thats bullshit. If it's ready for production and ready to be sold, then it should be ready to fit.... It's not a complex piece of machinery like an automobile. It has a few holes that need to have screws thrown in them to be fastened to the truck. And DesertHB it's cool that you could just drive down there and have it fixed by the manufacturer, but not everybody lives ten minutes away from Calminis shop. Oh well it's not my gripe but like fastdrmr says he should be greatful he paid 800 bucks for a bumper that didn't fit properly. Gymbo could have handled it differently but the Calmini guy that told him it would fit shouldn't have said it would unless he was sure.

#392037 - 20/01/06 11:35 PM Re: Calmini swing away
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
These are the same issues as with the Calmini bumper for the classic Xterras... undersized mounting holes and a too short latch pin. Quite a few reports of them popping open on the trail. I would have thought they would have corrected this by now.

But, that's about 30 fewer problems than I had with my KMA bumper!

#392038 - 21/01/06 11:45 AM Re: Calmini swing away
DesertHB Offline

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
Originally posted by Nutz:
And DesertHB it's cool that you could just drive down there and have it fixed by the manufacturer, but not everybody lives ten minutes away from Calminis shop.

Uh... ten minutes? You might want to take a look at a map before you comment.
If I couldn't have driven up (all day to go there and back), they could have fixed it by me sending a few photos. It turned out to be a very easy fix, just a new pin.
BTW, I did not have any issues with hole size, just the pin.

-Doug

#392039 - 21/01/06 04:30 PM Re: Calmini swing away
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by DesertHB:
[b]Originally posted by Nutz:
And DesertHB it's cool that you could just drive down there and have it fixed by the manufacturer, but not everybody lives ten minutes away from Calminis shop.

If I couldn't have driven up (all day to go there and back), they could have fixed it by me sending a few photos. It turned out to be a very easy fix, just a new pin.

-Doug[/b]
Sorry i saw the 15 mins at the shop and took it as 15 mins to the shop. Point being not everybody can drive to calmini to have it fixed.

#392040 - 04/03/06 06:13 PM Re: Calmini swing away
Anonymous
Unregistered

bump - where does this thread exist?

#392041 - 04/03/06 07:03 PM Re: Calmini swing away
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by DesertHB:
[b]Originally posted by Nutz:

-Doug[/b]
I wish it only took me all day to drive to calmini or shrockworks :rolleyes: . Waiting for shipping drives me nuts. Oh well.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal