Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#392374 - 29/05/03 07:15 PM Front Bumper Development - watch and be heard!
Shrock Offline

Loc: Houston, TX

This project went from paper and computer to wrenches and steel today. I'm going to do something a little different on this one. I'm going to post pics as things progress so everyone can get a peek into the development process.

This will also give you an opportunity to have a voice in what the finished product looks like and what features it has. So if you have any suggestion for things you would like to see on the final design, post up!

Here are a couple questions for you all to get things started.

1.) What color would you prefer. Black or grey? If you would prefer grey could you live with black?

2.) On first glance, it looks possible that the bumper could be designed for a considerably better approach angle by designing it to only work with winches w/o an integrated solenoid, i.e. the bumper would not stick out as far in the front. What would you prefer, greater flexibility in winch choices or a cleaner look and better approach angles?

Integrated solenoid:

Image link removed since Warn blocked them.

non-integrated solenoid:

Image link removed since Warn blocked them.

Jim

#392375 - 29/05/03 07:43 PM Re: Front Bumper Development - watch and be heard!
RedX Offline

Loc: Granite Falls, NC
I love this!!!! How refreshing....a fabricator is taking the time to guage user input on his designs. An approach like this is terrific....and I am so happy to see that you are taking the time to listen to users' needs and build things that meet those needs. Jim....you are a new breed in customer service....You make great products (from what I've seen), but it's your customer service and willingness to listen to customers that sets you apart. This is a terrific attempt to reach out to your customers. Hopefully this is a new trend.....Keep up the great work.

Anyway....even though I have an ARB, I will answer what I'd love to see in a bumper.

1. Color....Black is cool with me.The grey, unless it's dead on can look a little out of whack, in my opinion (as limited in scope as it may be).

2. I have no problem with non-integrated solenoid winches...I actually prefer them in that the solenoid pack is a much easier part to replace, should it become fouled or whatever. So I would prefer the better approach angle and use of non-integrated solenoid winches.

[Wave]

EDIT: I wanted to edit my post and simply pare it down to what it should relate to....Jim's work for our Xterras. I will say that it was unnecessary to bring other fabricators into HIS thread. Please excuse that transgression.

http://www.metzgardesign.com

#392376 - 29/05/03 08:42 PM Re: Front Bumper Development - watch and be heard!
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Saw the frame horns off if you want approach angle and mount to the first cross member.

Pre 96 Pathfinders and Hardbodys don't have them and have much better approach.

Damn the DOT and their crumple zones.

#392377 - 29/05/03 08:52 PM Re: Front Bumper Development - watch and be heard!
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
yup the horns suck... in order to get a pre-runner bumper to look the way i want and be more than just a cosmetic add on, the horns are gonna have to go...

but on to the shrockworks bumper.

Even though I am not in the market for a winch bumper(if you build a pre-runner style I'm all over it), I have a couple questions/suggestions...

First, if the bumper is gray, can it be done in a flat finish to better match the xterra gray plastic? for instance the Calmini bumper is gray but still doesn't look quite right because it is shinny.

Secondly, are you planning a design similar to the Suzuki bumper you currently offer? Or is this bumper completely different? In my mind the xterra just wouldn't look right with a bumper like the one you offer for the Zuks.

------edited to add---------
Thank you.
This is quite possibly the best use of this forum ever. The idea that a manufacturer would take input from customers is astounding.

Honestly it is quite a refreshing change from the:

"we are building a bumper"...
"here it is hope you like it"...
"oh you don't? well we have changed it. is it better now?" approach.

It saves your time and money and shows the customers that you do indeed value their opinion.

Good job.
If you ever do release products that suit my needs/wants, I will buy from your company(over others) simply because of this gesture.

#392378 - 29/05/03 09:36 PM Re: Front Bumper Development - watch and be heard!
Shrock Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
Well I'm really pleased to hear that people like this idea. I wasn't sure how it would go over. I think probably the reason you don't see more of this is that the product research becomes available to all of your competitors. It's a trade-off I supposed, but I definitely prefer to get things right the first time.

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Saw the frame horns off if you want approach angle and mount to the first cross member....Damn the DOT and their crumple zones.
Funny that was one of my first thoughts after removing the factory bumper and looking around.
Hmmm "These "horn" things need to go. The grill needs to go, and it would be nice to move the front "axle" forward about a foot." laugh

All that of course is well beyond a bolt on bumper, but it would be sweet.

People with grey bumpers and sliders. How to you touch up rock rash?

RE pre-runner, I'm going to show a few different tube options once the base is done for people to look at. I'll probably do one pre-runner style, but the bumper itself will be plate. Maybe after this is done, I'll look into a tube lower too, but first things first.

RE Sammi bumper, the design philosophy will be the same. It will be geared for extreme strength and very good approach angles, but the finished product will no doubt look quite a bit different. It will probably have a more minimalist look than and ARB, but it will wrap around the side and will look like it belongs on an Xterra. Our Sammi bumpers will survive numerous rollovers with only scratches. There are some pics here of it in action....and carnage. laugh

http://community.webshots.com/album/69143442NoUVZv

#392379 - 29/05/03 10:09 PM Re: Front Bumper Development - watch and be heard!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I also appreciate what you are doing and coincidentally, I AM in the market for a new front bumper.

-I like the cleaner look of the integrated solenoid bumper.
-I also would like to see some D-Rings or recovery point as an integral part of the bumper.
-I also would like to see integral light mounts or access to the back or underneath to drill/place them myself.
-The only concern I have with your current Zuki bumber is tha minimalist bumper and the maximal tubes that protect the hood/lights and body. I want great approach angles and clearance but I also want to hit my bumper before my IFS if I end up hitting a small car.
-I am not sure what your definition of "different" is but if you can put out a quality product that exudes a look of strength and backs it up with useful features I'll take the second one:)
-And while I am getting everything I want [LOL] I like Calminis idea of the receiver mount/cover for their product.

Thanks for letting me share

#392380 - 29/05/03 10:16 PM Re: Front Bumper Development - watch and be heard!
Todrick Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Shrock:
RE pre-runner, I'm going to show a few different tube options once the base is done for people to look at... I'll probably do one pre-runner style, but the bumper itself will be plate. Maybe after this is done, I'll look into a tube lower too, but first things first.
Great to hear... I'll keep my eyes open for it.

#392381 - 29/05/03 10:50 PM Re: Front Bumper Development - watch and be heard!
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
Quote:
People with grey bumpers and sliders. How to you touch up rock rash?
Dupli-Color T177 Gunmetal from O'Reilly's Auto Parts is a near perfect match for Calmini's powdercoat.

#392382 - 30/05/03 05:47 AM Re: Front Bumper Development - watch and be heard!
bonesnTX Offline

Loc: TEXAS
How about EPOXY paint options to match body colors?

Galvanized prior to painting? Just galvanized option?

[Wave]

#392383 - 30/05/03 02:28 PM Re: Front Bumper Development - watch and be heard!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Rhino lining woud look nice also Say in Bright red laugh

#392384 - 30/05/03 03:28 PM Re: Front Bumper Development - watch and be heard!
Scott Offline

Loc: Fort Collins, Colorado
A place to mount the factory fogs would be nice, but the 2000/1 are square, and I think the 2002/3 are round. Good approach angle is a higher priority for me than winch choice. A front skid solution that can be mated with the skid row middle skid would be a bonus.

#392385 - 30/05/03 03:51 PM Re: Front Bumper Development - watch and be heard!
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by Wilbur444:
Rhino lining woud look nice also Say in Bright red laugh
Rhino lining looks like ass anywhere but on a truck bed.

#392386 - 30/05/03 06:24 PM Re: Front Bumper Development - watch and be heard!
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Um, yeah; I'm getting flashbacks of the yellow rhinolined ARB...yikes!

confused :rolleyes:

#392387 - 30/05/03 08:13 PM Re: Front Bumper Development - watch and be heard!
imacsae Offline

Loc: El Paso Tx.
Well I have been looking at my arb and am slowly being convinced that it is too heavy and is making my approach angle worse. I would be interested in a tubular winch bumper with a skid plate to cover the radiator. It would have to be strong enough on the sides to actually hi lift off of. Integrated recovery points would be a must and tubes over the headlights would be too. Black would be fine although bare metal would be acceptable too.

#392388 - 30/05/03 08:43 PM Re: Front Bumper Development - watch and be heard!
EMT_Diver Offline

Loc: USA
I am in the market for a new bumper - I have held off from getting an ARB because I wanted a front receiver option. I waited to order a Calmini because I wanted light guards. However now that Calmini has the bumper style out that I want the price is the major issue. The bumper is about $630, then it's about $130 to get the winch cover plate so I can have a receiver and to cover up the ugly gap left if you don't actually have a winch and hen it's $280 truck freight from Calmini to my house. So if you can beat a grand in price to my house for a bumper that will have a front receiver I'm interested...

smile

#392389 - 30/05/03 09:02 PM Re: Front Bumper Development - watch and be heard!
dano Offline

Loc: Ridgefield Park, NJ
To make the bumper cheap to ship, it would have to be made of paper :p
But the man worthwhile
is the man who can smile
when his shorts are too tight in the seat.

#392390 - 01/06/03 12:13 AM Re: Front Bumper Development - watch and be heard!
Strom Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Todrick:
Quote:
[b]RE pre-runner, I'm going to show a few different tube options once the base is done for people to look at... I'll probably do one pre-runner style, but the bumper itself will be plate. Maybe after this is done, I'll look into a tube lower too, but first things first.
Great to hear... I'll keep my eyes open for it.[/b]
I would definitely be interested in a pre-runner style bumper, as would many others!

#392391 - 01/06/03 11:00 AM Re: Front Bumper Development - watch and be heard!
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
In integrating the "pre-runner" style that would please one group , you would still need to make it stout enough to support a winch . An essential need with a "pre-runner" style though is to keep the weight down since those of us who do more open trail running might have aspirations of getting our 4k Lb. minivans off the ground at speed and not nosediving on the way down.

The upside is though that the tube style would probably be lighter and it would be quite easy to controll your approach angles and integrate some sort of skid plate option.

Proto Fab makes a bumper for Cherokees and Broncos that I've seen that comes the closest to this concept:

I almost like this and it seems to be quite stout without being bulky. As far as powder coating and your color concerns , you would be able to provide an option of grey , black or whatever , or for the price conscious you can ship in bare metal and let the purchaser handle his or her own powdercoating.

With that metal plate style , safari guard looks like a little lower profile design that at least on the Discos , looks like it provides better aproach angles , has a smaller less bulky profile as well as the integrated skid plate as well as optional headlight protection.

BTW , something like this would look interesting on an X to some:

Now , I have no idea of you were looking at going with a steel plate concept similar to the ARB , TJM , or Calmini , but it would seem to me that that the market for that style of bumper is pretty much saturated unless you came out with a unique deign that was , lighter , stronger ect.

#392392 - 01/06/03 12:32 PM Re: Front Bumper Development - watch and be heard!
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I already have my TJM, but here are my thoughts:

I like the fact that I can touch-up my black TJM with a rattle-can that I randomly picked off the shelf at a local parts store. Black is black is black (other than finish) and if I hadn't oversprayed onto the TJM sticker you would never know it was touched up.

I'd stick with non-integrated, our approach angle is poor enough as it is. Nevertheless, the longer nose of the '02+ models tends to require the bumper jut out further anyway to allow access to the clutch lever on the winch.
However, a integrated-accomodated design would allow a Warn 8274, that sure would be spiffy!

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#392393 - 01/06/03 12:54 PM Re: Front Bumper Development - watch and be heard!
Todrick Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by socalpunX:
In integrating the "pre-runner" style that would please one group , you would still need to make it stout enough to support a winch...
I can honestly say I would not buy a "prerunner" bumper that could support a winch...

Of the ones you postd, I personaly don't see a single one that I would classify as a prerunner bumper. To me as soon as it is no longer as light as possible... it is not a prerunner bumper.

#392394 - 02/06/03 07:32 AM Re: Front Bumper Development - watch and be heard!
imacsae Offline

Loc: El Paso Tx.
The top version seems close to my ideal for the X. Good approach angles, looks strong and probably lighter.

#392395 - 02/06/03 11:32 AM Re: Front Bumper Development - watch and be heard!
gmaxis Offline

Loc: America's Finest city
I'm buying Bils this month and a winch bumper will follow. If you're building a bumper that's lighter that an ARB or a Calmini, I might consider your design. Question is, should I order the 20% stiffer front shocks?

#392396 - 02/06/03 06:35 PM Re: Front Bumper Development - watch and be heard!
Matt Peckham Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Rovertym makes some good bumpers too.

and their rear bumper is a piece of art.

They are definitely on the right track. screw swingarm tire carriers, give me a serious rear bumper and I can do without the tire carrier...

#392397 - 02/06/03 11:08 PM Re: Front Bumper Development - watch and be heard!
ned946 Offline

Having had an ARB and probably the ONLY Ramsey sport bar.... :rolleyes: my thoughts follow the lines of others who have posted here. I've seen the defender 90/ disco bumper listed above and that seems to have the best function for a bolt on. A thin face to the bumper (like the one above on the land rover) and drop down to the mounting point. The only draw back is that on the xterra, the drop might be very steep and look funky. It would be cool to see a mock up though.

#392398 - 03/06/03 11:28 AM Re: Front Bumper Development - watch and be heard!
Richard Krenn Offline

Loc: Mount Vernon, WA, USA
I currently have the ARB with a Warn 9500hs.
I would not want a pre runner type bumper.
The sides of the ARB are too long and need to be trimmed for larger tires.
Approach angle and a skid plate are important.
Here is another idea that could make your bumper stand out. A cutout for fog lights, a cutout on the sides for sideway fog lights and some brackets underneath to mount rock lights. Thats a total of 3 pairs of lights, that should make night runs more fun.
Optional bottle opener.
And black.

Richard

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal