Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#393051 - 10/05/02 05:59 PM Re: SLR CL?
Strom Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by socalpunX:
Quote:
Originally posted by Strom:
[b]I kind of have a dilemna...
I am being offered a 1998 JGC TSi 4x4 5.2L V8 in exchange for my 2000 Xterra 4x2 V6. The Jeep has about 60,000 miles on it, and my X has about 50,000. I know I want that Jeep, but I'm probably going to pay a lot more for maintenance. What do you guys think?
Now you're really not going to be invited to sports bar night with the Xterra driving Lakers fans. laugh [Finger] laugh [/b]
Now I can offroad more. laugh [Finger] laugh

Oh, and if the Lakers keep playing like that, I don't want to watch them. mad

#393052 - 10/05/02 06:29 PM Re: SLR CL?
UTJMAC Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
Quote:
Originally posted by Strom:

I kind of have a dilemna...
I am being offered a 1998 JGC TSi 4x4 5.2L V8 in exchange for my 2000 Xterra 4x2 V6. The Jeep has about 60,000 miles on it, and my X has about 50,000. I know I want that Jeep, but I'm probably going to pay a lot more for maintenance. What do you guys think?
I love my Nissan, but I would definately trade a used 4x2 for that Jeep. I thought about buying a used 5.2 L instead of the X. But ended up with the X for reliability reasons. That 5.2 could be a bad ass build up.
John

#393053 - 10/05/02 07:44 PM Re: SLR CL?
Strom Offline

That's what I'm thinking. It already has an Up Country Suspension (about 1" lift), but I could just buy $150 spacers for starters and already have 3" of lift. Although, they don't fit tires in the fenders as well as the X.

Anyway, those engines can also have SO MUCH power if you let them breathe. The K&N FIPK is claimed to net 26 hp and 23 lb/ft of torque.

#393054 - 10/05/02 09:50 PM Re: SLR CL?
MeWantSnow! Offline

Loc: Sparta, NJ
I still would like to see the system tested a little more. Not that I don't trust SLR, but this is the first, other than a few rumors here and there, that I've heard of this set-up. Here is what I would like to see...not that it's possible or not..but it would be nice.

They system should be sold at cost or a very nice discount to a select few Xterra owners in different parts of the country, with different vehicle set-ups. That is maybee 1 stock, one with the SLR lift, one with the AC lift, and one with the Calmini lift. Have them wheel with it for a couple of months, and get their honest feedback on the system. No offense SLR, but stating that this will be the last steering is one thing.....having it out there being used in various terrain is another. Now please don't take that the wrong way....I'm very grateful that your helping the Nissan Aftermarket scene. But I, along with others, like to see something truely tested, before I make a purchase like that.

#393055 - 10/05/02 09:52 PM Re: SLR CL?
MeWantSnow! Offline

One more thing......if it is proven that it is superior to stock, and holds up after time....You will definatly have an order from me.

#393056 - 10/05/02 10:24 PM Re: SLR CL?
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by MeWantSnow!:
They system should be sold at cost or a very nice discount to a select few Xterra owners in different parts of the country, with different vehicle set-ups.
I had fully planned on reviewing it for XOC, but in this economy, I can't afford to.

#393057 - 10/05/02 11:09 PM Re: SLR CL?
MeWantSnow! Offline

Maybee it's time to develop games that shoot down terrorists, or better yet, maybee even soccer Moms.....I bet it would sell better than shooting groundhogs laugh

#393058 - 11/05/02 06:06 AM Re: SLR CL?
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Quote:
Maybee it's time to develop games that shoot down terrorists, or better yet, maybee even soccer Moms.....I bet it would sell better than shooting groundhogs laugh
ROFL!

What about a game with a squirrel, and you have to bite into the right wire to keep from falling into the Fan Blades of Death (TM)... One wrong move - ZAP! laugh

#393059 - 11/05/02 10:40 AM Re: SLR CL?
Schludwiller Offline

Loc: Redmond,WA
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Quote:
[b]They system should be sold at cost or a very nice discount to a select few Xterra owners in different parts of the country, with different vehicle set-ups.
I had fully planned on reviewing it for XOC, but in this economy, I can't afford to.[/b]
>

#393060 - 11/05/02 11:19 AM Re: SLR CL?
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
Quote:
Originally posted by Schludwiller:
Insert plea for free parts here. laugh >
I don't know Ian's deal with SLR , but isn't that banner at the top of a site that has 4,000 members and hundreds of posts a day from X enthusiasts worth something ?

#393061 - 11/05/02 11:44 AM Re: SLR CL?
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
This is not a bad idea. I'm willing to pitch in some cash to get Ian a steering setup to play with. I'll put in $20. It's the least we could do for all the work he does on this site. How about it? There is enough of us, and $10-20 won't kill any of us. Just an idea.

[Wave]

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#393062 - 11/05/02 12:09 PM Re: SLR CL?
Schludwiller Offline

Quote:
Quote:
[b]Insert plea for free parts here. laugh >
I don't know Ian's deal with SLR , but isn't that banner at the top of a site that has 4,000 members and hundreds of posts a day from X enthusiasts worth something ?[/b]
Yes, it was worth a SLR 3" Suspension lift. So don't start crying a river for Ian just yet.
:rolleyes:

#393063 - 11/05/02 12:11 PM Re: SLR CL?
Strom Offline

I'd pitch in to help.

#393064 - 11/05/02 12:21 PM Re: SLR CL?
Xterrian Offline

Loc: Fort Lewis, WA
I already sent my $10 a while back. laugh

#393065 - 11/05/02 12:26 PM Re: SLR CL?
Schludwiller Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by CharlieH:
This is not a bad idea. I'm willing to pitch in some cash to get Ian a steering setup to play with. I'll put in $20. It's the least we could do for all the work he does on this site. How about it? There is enough of us, and $10-20 won't kill any of us. Just an idea.

[Wave]
So much for not-so subtle sarcasm. SLR builds a new part that hopefully resolves an expensive and weak link in our steering systems and everyone shits a brick about the price. But in the same thread there is a fundraiser for Ian to get a free one because of all the work he's done on XOC? (Ian I know it's not you saying this).

How about extending that same attitude towards the few aftermarket manufacturers we have Maybe buy parts from them for their support (don't use them for part numbers or to talk down prices from Nissan parts departments and then buy somewhere else). If you can't afford it, keep buying Nissan centerlinks. I don't know where in the manual it says that your warranty applies to getting cheap aftermarket parts from the few shops that are trying to fill a need.

Oh, and while I'm on a rant. What's this BS with complaining about prices being too high, but also bitching that someone is copying parts from other companies. How do you expect to get lower prices unless there is competition in the marketplace? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm mixing more than a few issues here, but I don't feel like going back and revising this post. It's a nice sunny day, so I'm out of here.

#393066 - 11/05/02 12:27 PM Re: SLR CL?
socalpunx Offline

(Wiping tears) How long ago was that ? So one SLR lift a year ago is worth the exposure that this site provides SLR. How many shock orders alone would they have generate from hits to their site or the limited magazine coverage. All of those " just call SLR they'll help you out" posts lead to sales.

Ian doesn't need me to argue his case for him as I'm sure he has his own dialogue with SLR as well as his other "advertisers".

BUT....

You feel that that exposure and the sales that they generate are ballanced by one $1,200 lift kit a year ago ? And that's the retail price of the kit. What do you think their cost is ? A few hundred bucks ? So that is all the value that they feel they get from here ?

To me SLR is the real deal. They are doing their part to raise the bar. I like Spencer and Dez , and ultimately that's where my mad mod money will probably end up. But do you think they truly realize the benefits of the exposure that they get here ? Where else would they be able to present their products to potentially thousands of people , reach them and answer their questions personally , engage in quality debates , and make customers as a result of products shown on this site for the first time ?

It's called marketing. And there is a price to pay to market your product. If that price is a few wholesale parts it seems like a pretty inexpensive way to generate business.

The numbers don't lie. There is an active enthusiast market here and these people are spending the money on their trucks with someone.

Hell , maybee they field 1000 e-mails and phone calls a week from people that just ask questions and don't order anything. I don't know. But those are all potential customers that they wouldn't have had without this exposure.

#393067 - 11/05/02 02:05 PM Re: SLR CL?
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
This is not a bad idea. I'm willing to pitch in some cash to get Ian a steering setup to play with.
I appreciate the offer but respectfully decline. I couldn't fairly review the product knowing that it is overpriced. I got my material price quotes from reputable frame building companies, and the price is far too high.

Check here if you want info on how much 4130 and spherical bearings really cost.

http://www.bakerprecision.com/
http://www.chassisshop.com/

#393068 - 11/05/02 03:22 PM Re: SLR CL?
Schludwiller Offline

Quote:
(Wiping tears)
Ian doesn't need me to argue his case for him as I'm sure he has his own dialogue with SLR as well as his other "advertisers".

You're right. So stop crying already. :rolleyes:

#393069 - 11/05/02 04:07 PM Re: SLR CL?
socalpunx Offline

Quote:
Quote:
[b](Wiping tears)

You're right. So stop crying already. :rolleyes: [/b]
I just thought you needed a broader understanding of marketing since you obviously don't have the savy to attract advertising on your site or board.

2nd fiddle much ?

Oh yeah. Stop looking at me in that tone of voice. :rolleyes:

#393070 - 11/05/02 04:20 PM Re: SLR CL?
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
Quote:
How about extending that same attitude towards the few aftermarket manufacturers we have Maybe buy parts from them for their support (don't use them for part numbers or to talk down prices from Nissan parts departments and then buy somewhere else). If you can't afford it, keep buying Nissan centerlinks. I don't know where in the manual it says that your warranty applies to getting cheap aftermarket parts from the few shops that are trying to fill a need.

[/QB]
Have been with the exception of a few items. I don't have a problem with the price on this peice of equipment either. Until someone else goes through the effort and makes another system we just suck it up and deal with the price. If someone builds a system for $400-500 cool, but if you need a steering system today, you'll get this one or replace OEM parts. If no one buys the system from SLR it will eventually hit it's eq. price. The market will determine the price, but keep in mind that this board is not the be all and end all of SLR's business. I for one don't think that will happen. I think they will sell quite a few. I'm going back out to play with my truck.

Charlie

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#393071 - 11/05/02 06:53 PM Re: SLR CL?
Schludwiller Offline

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b](Wiping tears)

You're right. So stop crying already. :rolleyes: [/b]
I just thought you needed a broader understanding of marketing since you obviously don't have the savy to attract advertising on your site or board.

2nd fiddle much ?

Oh yeah. Stop looking at me in that tone of voice. :rolleyes: [/b]
I really don't have the time or energy to explain how far off base you are with this last post. I imagine it has more to do with your ego than anything. Hopefully you feel better now. :rolleyes:

#393072 - 12/05/02 09:27 PM Re: SLR CL?
Schludwiller Offline

Quote:
Quote:

Have been with the exception of a few items. I don't have a problem with the price on this peice of equipment either. Until someone else goes through the effort and makes another system we just suck it up and deal with the price. If someone builds a system for $400-500 cool, but if you need a steering system today, you'll get this one or replace OEM parts. If no one buys the system from SLR it will eventually hit it's eq. price. The market will determine the price, but keep in mind that this board is not the be all and end all of SLR's business. I for one don't think that will happen. I think they will sell quite a few. I'm going back out to play with my truck.

Charlie[/QB]
I agree. You probably expressed it better than I did.

#393073 - 13/05/02 08:07 AM Re: SLR CL?
ClimberRn Offline

I have an idea!

I will run my current setup.
DR (Andy) will get the SLR steering.
Ian will have his made.

We will all wheel our trucks while the rest of you replace the stock steering and complain about high price solutions. After a year or two of real testing, we will see how they all hold up! And by then, the prices might be down a little and you will have replaced a couple of OEM setups.

It all comes down to your choice. Buy it. Dont buy it.

I still feel the money invested in my setup is well spent. The testing is the best part laugh !

#393074 - 13/05/02 09:06 AM Re: SLR CL?
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Chip in to buy Ian an SLR kit? What kind of crack are you people smoking? [Finger]

#393075 - 13/05/02 09:17 AM Re: SLR CL?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
After 2 years of (admittedly) light to moderate but not necessarily gentle 'wheeling, my front end is still nice and tight. As soon as something actually goes I'll start considering a HD steering setup.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal