Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#393076 - 13/05/02 10:24 AM Re: SLR CL?
wqbang Offline

Loc: Auburn, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
After 2 years of (admittedly) light to moderate but not necessarily gentle 'wheeling, my front end is still nice and tight. As soon as something actually goes I'll start considering a HD steering setup.

Brent
The key is that you are not running a lift.

This is the reason I don't think I will go for an A-arm lift before a time proven steering solution becomes available.

Do these steering problems occur with the Trailmaster lift on HB and Pathys?

#393077 - 13/05/02 10:31 AM Re: SLR CL?
TK1 Offline

Loc: Taylorsville, UT
Two trips to moab after 3" lift = one new centerlink for me.

I am fortunate enough to be able to design, build and test my own steering system. I should have it completed within the next two months unless I am too busy painting. If I am too busy painting then that means I'll be able to afford the SLR unit, which BTW looks to be very strong and well built.

I have access to all of the equipment and materials necessary to build a durable and safe unit. It will not however be for sale to the public, I have no desire to get into the fabrication buisness.

Got paint?

#393078 - 13/05/02 10:55 AM Re: SLR CL?
wqbang Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DesertRAT:
WQbang, I've only been around one Pathy with the TM lift, and he does go through CL's and idler arms pretty regularly. I think in his case, however, it has more to do with the tires and wheels he's running than the lift, as he is running 31x13.50 Thornbirds on 15x10 rims. TM lifts can be used in conjunction with an A arm lift, and if one did both, then the answer is yes, you'd have the same issues. The TM kit uses a spacer on top of the steering knuckle to keep tierods at factory angles, but if you lift with the torsion bars after installing the TM kit, they'll have the same problems.
That is what I thought. Since the TM lift drops the front crossmember, you don't have the tierod angle problems that the A-arm lift kits have.

I am aware that they are stackable as well.

The one problem with the TM lift design is that fact that your torsion bars become vulnerable.

It think it is time for a TM email campaign. I emailed them a while back, as have others, but no news yet.

Bryan

#393079 - 13/05/02 11:05 AM Re: SLR CL?
wqbang Offline

Linked diagram of the 4" TM lift for 86-92 Nissan Hardbody:

[img]http://www.trailmastersuspension.com/comp_drawings/web_print/NH44[/img]

#393080 - 13/05/02 11:41 AM Re: SLR CL?
Spencer Low Racing Offline

Loc: Parker
xoc and BM300:

What's up with this Grand Cherokee discussion?

"This forum is for discussing aftermarket parts directly with manufacturers and vendors.
Please allow up to 3 days for a response.
Any flame wars in here, or misinformation will be removed."

Please, let's keep this thread informative to SLR's CL and Nissan parts.

Boarder Phreak:

Thanks for your feedback and honest gestures. I will definitely look into a group buying option for the Nissan community.

MeWantSnow!:

"They system should be sold at cost or a very nice discount to a select few Xterra owners in different parts of the country, with different vehicle set-ups. That is maybee 1 stock, one with the SLR lift, one with the AC lift, and one with the Calmini lift. Have them wheel with it for a couple of months, and get their honest feedback on the system. No offense SLR, but stating that this will be the last steering is one thing.....having it out there being used in various terrain is another. Now please don't take that the wrong way....I'm very grateful that your helping the Nissan Aftermarket scene. But I, along with others, like to see something truely tested, before I make a purchase like that."

Great idea. I would love to have my system tested in different configurations and climates.

Here is a list of people that will be testing my set up:

--SLR on 5 different trucks
--Desert Rat
--steinism
--Gordon White
--Todd Kirby
--Chris Kennedy
--xoc

"One more thing......if it is proven that it is superior to stock, and holds up after time....You will definatly have an order from me."

We have jumped our system, skipped over the tops of 2-3 foot whoops at speed, hit rocks at speed. Misjudged a whoop section to have our system bottom out on top of 2-3 foot whoops (droop to bump). We are very rough on steering components. Our truck are driven at highway speeds and can perform emergency turns to avoid obstacles.

After days of desert pounding, city driving, and most importantly 4x4 at slow speeds with Jeeps. Cross-ups, bumping obstacles due to lack of traction.

socalpunx:

"You feel that that exposure and the sales that they generate are ballanced by one $1,200 lift kit a year ago ? And that's the retail price of the kit. What do you think their cost is ? A few hundred bucks ? So that is all the value that they feel they get from here ?"

The lift is $1685 retail cost. I would really like to see what XOC's monthly advertising rates are.

I really like Ian and I think that his message board is great. I'm really glad to work with him. xoc was going to be the first with the SLR system, but some of his true colors have started to show in this thread.

"I just checked with a fab shop in Denver, and they can build it for $350.

That's just way too much money for what is there.

Here's my breakdown of the parts. These prices are standard, look them up on the web.

Cromoly Tubing - $18
Steel Stock for Tie-rod mounts - $20
Spherical Bearings - $52
Retaining Clips - $8
Shoulder Bolts - $8
Washers - $4

5-7 hours of machining, welding, drilling at $50/ hour.

That's $110 in materials and $250-350 in labor.

I don't see where the remaining cost is coming from unless it's purely markup."

xoc:

What kind of spherical bearing are you pricing; what grade? Talk to PJ at Baker Precision. Call the chassis shop and ask for a price quote on 1 1/4 250 wall 4130. Please post the results here. Chrome moly prices fluctuate due to supply and demand of chromium. I would also like you to check pricing on other steering setups and post the results here. Please do not factor in the other $950 steering system, due to the fact that you gave my R&D away with the photo I sent you on 4x4parts' message board.

That would be the SLR Stage 5 steering system that will also be available within a few weeks. All production parts are being heat treated and at CNC.

ClimberRn:

"Ian will have his made."

Ian: Thanks for the support to the Nissan community.

ClimberRn:

"I still feel the money invested in my setup is well spent. The testing is the best part !"

Please state the material used in your setup. To my knowledge, your new vertical-mounted inner heims are only 2-4 weeks old. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Testing??

SLR does not condone having anyone splash SLR's product designs. We hope that the Nissan community will continue to be supportive of what we are trying to do for Nissan owners. Please call 928.667.4757 or email SLR at info@spencerlowracing.com if you have questions.

#393081 - 13/05/02 01:06 PM Re: SLR CL?
MeWantSnow! Offline

Loc: Sparta, NJ
Quote:
Originally posted by Spencer Low Racing:

SLR Retail Cost - $900.00
With Core Return - $716.00
--Pitman Arm Core - $75.00
--Idler Arm Core - $109.00 (both must be in excellent condition)

SLR will apply credit to a customer's credit card for idler and pitman arm core charges if we receive cores that have passed testing in our accuracy jig and are shown to be in good condition.
SLR, could you clarify a little bit about what you consider excellent condition? Are you talking absolutly no wear at all, or normal wear, as to the reason I would need a replacement steering system?

Thanks

Rich

#393082 - 13/05/02 04:11 PM Re: SLR CL?

DesertRAT:

"One comment in defense of ClimberRn...his setup has been on since late February, and was reconfigured about 6 weeks ago to the current design. It's not fair to put him in the same category as SLR, as he had an independent shop help him make his and he's not making any money on the deal; he's just like me - tired of trashing the stock stuff, and he's looking for something better. I commend him for coming up with something on his own...that's better than 99% of people, who mostly just complain about what they already have and expect someone else to come to the rescue so they can be overcritical about those parts and their pricing and complain about that too. Joel wheels his X harder than most, so I would definitely call what he's doing "testing". Yes, he's not jumping trucks; an individual doesn't have the budget to go out and potentially destroy his rig like a well known and established parts manufacturer can, but he is wheeling it on a regular basis and putting it through a variety of conditions. Will the heims hold up over the long run? Hard telling; that's why he's reporting back every so often to keep us informed in case anyone else wants to borrow his design and make their own."

I was not putting down Joel in any way, and I apologize to Joel & the Nissan community if my post was interpreted in the wrong way.

I was simply questioning what type of material his system is using. DOM or 4130?

I was a little irritated at the fact that xoc posted photos of SLR's Stage 5 steering system on 4x4part's message board without my consent, even after I was very clear when I told him that it was for his eyes only.

"The design isn't exactly revolutionary.."

Please point out another suspension component manufacturer that is using 2 spherical bearings on each pivot and post the results here.

MeWantSnow!:

SLR will apply credit to customers' cards if the parts are in good condition. The pitman arm, in most cases, will receive a $75.00 credit due to the fact that there are no wear points. If the splines are damaged or there has been abuse to the taper or arm itself, we will adjust the price accordingly or refuse your core. The idler arm is a different story. With a worn out centerlink, the idler takes quite a beating. There are wear points on the idler.

• Bracket the bolts to frame--sometimes bends or cracks
  • Delrin bushing the idler pivots on--we have a new bushing to put in place of the OE Delrin

Your core cost will be adjusted according to your idler's condition and again if there is any sign of abuse to the idler itself.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions on any SLR product at 928.667.4757 or info@spencerlowracing.com. Thanks for the interest.

#393083 - 13/05/02 04:31 PM Re: SLR CL?
ClimberRn Offline

SLR:

Although re-configured 6 weeks ago, all of the current heims have been in use since Feb. As Andy said, I am just an Xterra owner tired of waiting for you and the rest of the manufactures to come out with a solution. This system has been in the works since October, but postponed because I was out of state for work. As far as testing, that is what I am doing on a daily basis. I dont have the means to have it tested for 6 months prior to instalation. Only time will tell if your system or mine holds up better. I am glad you came up with a solution, and you should be pleased for me as well that it works.

If you want to know the materials used, or are interested in purchasing it, you can contact the fabricator directly. I don't know what type or size of rod was used. I just told him what I wanted and he made it.

Out of respect for SLR, I will not post the fabricators information, but if you want to know more, contact me and I will give you the information.

Joel.

#393084 - 13/05/02 04:37 PM Re: SLR CL?
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by Spencer Low Racing:
I was a little irritated at the fact that xoc posted photos of SLR's Stage 5 steering system on 4x4part's message board without my consent, even after I was very clear when I told him that it was [b]for his eyes only.[/b]
I wasn't the only person with your pictures. I had talked to several people who had them.

I assumed they really weren't for my eyes only anymore (a couple months had passed since you sent them) if people had their own copies.

The Stage 5 Lift pictures were for my eyes only too, yet the day I got them people were already discussing them on the XOC chat board.

I fully explained to you why I posted the image I did, and it was in the best interest of SLR (and you agreed with me).

Any chance you'll answer my emails sometime soon ?

#393085 - 14/05/02 08:36 AM Re: SLR CL?
SedonaX Offline

So, Ian, are you or are you not going to get this steering set up? You say no, you can't fairly review it when it's overpriced, but SLR still has you on his list. What's the final verdict?

#393086 - 14/05/02 10:50 AM Re: SLR CL?

Ian,

I do not want to start an "I said, You said" dispute.

"I wasn't the only person with your pictures. I had talked to several people who had them."

You and socalpunX were the only ones with Stage 5 photos.

I assumed they really weren't for my eyes only anymore (a couple months had passed since you sent them) if people had their own copies."

Keywords - "I assumed"

The Stage 5 Lift pictures were for my eyes only too, yet the day I got them people were already discussing them on the XOC chat board."

Stage 4 or Stage 5?

"I fully explained to you why I posted the image I did, and it was in the best interest of SLR (and you agreed with me)."

Sure. 1 or 2 weeks later.

"Any chance you'll answer my emails sometime soon ?"

Any chance you'll answer my question somtime soon?

#393087 - 14/05/02 10:51 AM Re: SLR CL?
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by SedonaX:
So, Ian, are you or are you not going to get this steering set up? You say no, you can't fairly review it when it's overpriced, but SLR still has you on his list. What's the final verdict?
He'll review anything if it's free, I would imagine... wink

#393088 - 14/05/02 11:07 AM Re: SLR CL?
SedonaX Offline

Actually, when people were wanting to pitch in to get the steering for him, he said no thank you basically. And his statement was what I said above, that he couldn't fairly review it knowing it was overpriced. To me, that means free or not, he doesn't want to review it because of the price. Which, by the way, I have no problem with. The amount of money spent on centerlinks and the time and energy spent dealing with the problems is worth it to me. My time is valuable and I'd rather have something that will work and stop breaking.

One of the reasons we have gotten the name "snooty X owners" is because of this exact thing. We bitch and moan about something that is a problem and when someone puts their time, energy and money into helping to solve it, we find something to bitch and whine about again. I'm sure if it wasn't the price it would be something else. Consider yourselves lucky that someone still cares and that we still have after market support. I'm beginning to wonder how long it will last with the attitudes of some. The problem is, if we lose support, it won't just be the whiners that will lose it, we all will. But, another stereotype of X owners, they're only out for themselves. They only pretend to care about other people.

#393089 - 14/05/02 11:43 AM Re: SLR CL?
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
I think the Stage 4 photos that a couple of guys got (I wasn't one of them) were what was being discussed a month back or so between people that had been informed what that kit was going to entail. I believe Ian and I both talked with each other about the stage 5 (by phone) when it became obvious that he had recieved them as well.

Discuss!

All we need is Susan Lucci in here to make this thing complete.

Now on a personal note.
SLR for some reason my server is not letting me send E-mail.

Can you please check your PM's here. Thank you .

#393090 - 14/05/02 01:32 PM Re: SLR CL?
XOC Offline
Admin

This is like talking with a wall.

I give up. No answers here folks. [Wave]

#393091 - 14/05/02 03:16 PM Re: SLR CL?
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
yup just to clarify it was I who got the pics... not socalpunx

and it did come up in chat... it seemed like we might have the same pics so i asked him what the rear suspension of the stage 5 consisted of... his response made it quite clear we both had the same photos...

#393092 - 14/05/02 03:22 PM Re: SLR CL?
DGX Factor Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
SLR,please don't sweat the small stuff. From what I've read here, It sounds like a great setup and I'm not gonna complain about the price or anything. I believe in this product and I now have confidence in getting a lift and not having to worry about the problems with the steering. That being said, would you consider a package that includes the lift, new steering upgrade?

#393093 - 14/05/02 05:16 PM Re: SLR CL?
UTJMAC Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
Quote:
Originally posted by DGX Factor:
SLR,please don't sweat the small stuff. From what I've read here, It sounds like a great setup and I'm not gonna complain about the price or anything. I believe in this product and I now have confidence in getting a lift and not having to worry about the problems with the steering. That being said, would you consider a package that includes the lift, new steering upgrade?
Ditto that! I am considering your Stage 3 lift and would like to see a package deal that consists of the lift and steering fix. A bit of a discount for the combo would have me calling for an order. By the way, before I commmit to the stage 3, I want to hear about 4 and 5. When the new website coming out?
John

#393094 - 16/05/02 07:34 PM Re: SLR CL?
Joshua XXL Offline

Loc: San Diego
I agree completely with Sedona X. I have been reading bulletin posts for about 4 months now and have noticed the very trend that Sedona speaks to. Whether it is AC, Calmini or SLR, it seems that unless the product is guaranteed to be indestructible and sold at 2% profit, then it is unsatisfactory. I for one appreciate the effort that these companies put in, making parts for a market thats not quite up to speed with the other existing truck markets. I believe the XOC w/ its member base is an integral part of the development of this new market. Also, I feel that the product competition within the XOC also builds on this base, and the deconstructive comments that have been appearing lately do nothing but take away from the quality of the competition, thus taking away from the developmental process.
I cannot attest to the work ethic of the other aftermarket Nissan companies, but I can attest to the quality and worksmanship of the product produced by SLR. I own the Silver X that this new centerlink has been tested on. The misjudged whoops were a result of my misjudgements. I launched it 3 to 5 feet in the air about 10 times in a row at the Glamis Sand Drags. I also recently tested the CL in Hollister Hills, CA, tipping over my X while trying to destroy the centerlink in the 4x4 park, destroying my camera, left lung, dilocating my shoulder and bruising both kidneys. The CL has held up through all of this as I learned how to drive my X. The CL pictures that are posted above are of the final product, as mine was simply prototype, without the additional R&D contained in the final product. Granted, the suspension on my X helped the CL survive, but the same suspension destroyed the OE CL in under 3000 miles. This product was developed from scratch. First the blueprint, then to fixture, to testing to production. Over 8 months in the making.
I believe that it is this kind of perseverance that is required to carve a serious name for Nissan in the fast growing offroad world. I thoroughly enjoy this site and its feeback and hope it continues in a postive, constructive direction.
[Too much XOC] [Too much XOC] [Too much XOC] [Too much XOC] [Too much XOC] [Too much XOC]

#393095 - 16/05/02 09:23 PM Re: SLR CL?
XOC Offline
Admin

You "learned how to drive your Xterra" by crashing it and injuring yourself ?

That's too funny. You're my hero...

#393096 - 17/05/02 04:46 AM Re: SLR CL?
Matt Peckham Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
no wonder you've never defended their products before, I don't think they want you to. "SLR, for people who want to kill themselves, not their trucks."

Remind me never to go wheeling with you...

Drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.

#393097 - 17/05/02 07:08 AM Re: SLR CL?
BoarderPhreak Offline

Jeez, easy guys... He never said he was drinking, and the accident was just that!

With manufacturers catching this much shit from Xterra fans, it's a wonder there's an aftermarket at all!

:rolleyes:

#393098 - 17/05/02 07:52 AM Re: SLR CL?
SedonaX Offline

What a way to treat someone on their very first post.

People had been asking how hard these parts were tested. Someone other than Spencer speaks up and tells us what he did to test things and we treat him like that. He already admitted it was due to his misjudgement. Give him a break.

If only everyone could be as perfect as Ian. [Finger]

#393099 - 17/05/02 08:05 AM Re: SLR CL?
BoarderPhreak Offline

Quote:
If only everyone could be as perfect as Ian. [Finger]
Yeah well, we know that'll never happen! :rolleyes:

#393100 - 17/05/02 08:23 AM Re: SLR CL?
cracker Offline

Loc: Canada
Quote:
What a way to treat someone on their very first post...If only everyone could be as perfect as Ian. [Finger]
well what a way for him to make his introduction.
christ people ian has his opinion so take it or leave it. just like SLR has their CL for sale, take it or leave it.
reading this thread had made 2 things apparent to me
1)there are some hard feelings between ian and SLR so ian's opinion may be harsh.
2)SLR is a company interested primarily in making a profit, not helping out us lowly nissan owners - they, like any company would not be putting money into R&D if there was not money to be made.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal