Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#393187 - 23/02/05 09:56 PM THE REAR BUMPER SWING AGAIN ..
BOOM Offline

Loc: WISCONSIN
if anyone has any pics of rear swings that they have built can you post them or even send them to me ..
im looking for differnet ideas that you all have made to yours and would like ideas for mine!! if that would be cool .. [ThumbsUp]

i have made my rock sliders now. after a few weeks of playing around with what i wanted them too look like and a week of letting the paint dry, i had them painted with the bedliner paint and color matched very close to my silver.. eek it is a couple shades off but " BFD " they are on the bottom of the truck and not on the top or in front. the guy told me a couple days or a week to dry is alright . laugh

well that is all i got for now [Wave] im looking at trying to get ideas so i can make this bumper be made faster then my sliders, but if it takes me like a month to get it done then well that is it then ....

THANKS

[Wave] [Wave]

BOOM

if you wanna get it DIRTY, Then go in and get some MUD !! ON IT

#393188 - 23/02/05 10:40 PM Re: THE REAR BUMPER SWING AGAIN ..
Marmatt Offline

Loc: Jericho, VT
I'll be working on my own swing away tire carrier this spring. I just ordered some oil impreganted bronze bushings and a bag of zerk fittings from McMaster Carr. The bumper face will be 2x6" rectangular tube 3/16" wall, with either 2x3" C channel or rectangular tube for the attachment. Other bumper basics will include an integrated 2" receiver tube (hitch pin behind) and "K" braces from the rear of the receiver to the frame.

The swing arm itself will be 2x3 tube, with a triangular brace to the vertical post (prob 2x2" square) and adjustment via 2x2" tube in another receiver with locking hitch pin. There will be a vertical hi-lift jack holder and possibly accoutrements for a single jerry can (Sceptre type, plastic). As stated above, I'll be using bronze bushings with a steel (I believe it is mandrel tube that has no seam) sleeve and a 1" grade 8 bolt. I may try to slide in a delrin washer or two as well, though I think it will be overkill. It will definetly have a zerk fitting, and I may machine a lazy corkscrew pattern into the bushings for grease on the lathe.

I haven't decided on the type of latch system yet, though I'm leaning towards simple and spring loaded. I also have a few ideas for a pin that would hold the arm open and out of the way. Lastly, I will be looking into doing some sheet metal trimming underneath the plastic corner pieces, and re-locating or -routing the cabin vent. Side protection tied into the frame would be a neat job, though I'm thinking it won't be feasible for this go around.

Below is my first attempt at a rear bumper. We'll see how the next iteration works. The current bump has been working out very well, and I learned alot during construction. It currently has a better paint job (Hammerite) and much nicer grip tape (sweet 3M type, matches the grey paint).

#393189 - 04/03/05 02:29 PM Re: THE REAR BUMPER SWING AGAIN ..
BOOM Offline

Loc: WISCONSIN
wow :rolleyes:

nobody ? [Sleep] [Sleep]

THANKS

BOOM

if you wanna get it DIRTY, Then go in and get some MUD !! ON IT

#393190 - 04/03/05 03:13 PM Re: THE REAR BUMPER SWING AGAIN ..
Anonymous
Unregistered

hey Marmatt, where'd you find that rubber you have on the top of the bumper in the picture? my rear bumper is a spitting image of yours, and i've been looking to slap a single piece of nonstick rubber across the top, but i haven't been able to track it down anywhere.

#393191 - 04/03/05 09:44 PM Re: THE REAR BUMPER SWING AGAIN ..
Marmatt Offline

Quote:
Where'd you find that rubber you have on the top of the bumper in the picture?
I found it at an Ace Hardware store. It was a roll of sticky-backed 3M textured tape. Kindof rubbery, really nice.

-Matt

#393192 - 05/03/05 11:24 PM Re: THE REAR BUMPER SWING AGAIN ..
Anonymous
Unregistered

redx, i believe has the baddest rear bumper i have ever seen!

#393193 - 06/03/05 01:30 PM Re: THE REAR BUMPER SWING AGAIN ..
Marmatt Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by steelX:
redx, i believe has the baddest rear bumper i have ever seen!
Brad does have a very nice bumper. The ladder and 3rd brake light are very well done, but the real beauty is underneath. The bend of the face sheet metal is perfect, and the bracing behind is exceptional. Aaron at HCORE4x4 got some flak for the weld quality on wordtothis (David's) bumper, but his fabrication skills seem to be top-notch.

Brad, if you're reading this, does your system employ any bushings or sleeving for the hinge? I'm finally working on my own after all that talk last summer at ECXC, and I'm trying to decide on my approach. The impregnated bushings I mentioned above are going to work very well I think. All I need to find are some delrin washers locally, I'm hoping to set them into a machined recess in the hinge tabs.

-Matt

#393194 - 06/03/05 04:36 PM Re: THE REAR BUMPER SWING AGAIN ..
RedX Offline

Loc: Granite Falls, NC
Thanks for the compliments guys....Aaron really did do a tremendous job building this bumper...In the year that I have had it, the finish has held up very well....and the functionality has been great.

Matt....there are some kind of bearing in there....I am not sure what kind tho. In the year that I have had and used it....no binding whatsoever....and it seems to have just the right amount of fluidity of motion with friction to allow it to be easy to open and close, but also stay open when and where I want it....Make sense?

http://www.metzgardesign.com

#393195 - 06/03/05 05:31 PM Re: THE REAR BUMPER SWING AGAIN ..
Marmatt Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by RedX:
Make sense?
Yeah... I considered bearings but I don't have the technical know-how/skills. Bushings should do OK.

Hope to see you in PA again this summer.

-Matt

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal