Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 137 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#393368 - 17/03/07 10:20 AM Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen Installation Tips
Anonymous
Unregistered

JTAOJ, PM'd you.

#393369 - 17/03/07 04:28 PM Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen Installation Tips
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why not see if the diff yoke from a Frontier (D40 of course) will work on your diff and just get a double-carden with a normal u-joint on the diff side? Our local driveline shop does them all day long for the Fords and Jeeps for under $200. Just give them a static length and they can have in under a day.Static would be from the normal position of the slip yokes u-joint centerline to the new centerline of the diff side u-joint, on the ground.

#393370 - 17/03/07 05:08 PM Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen Installation Tips
Anonymous
Unregistered

I too plan to buy the 5 inch lift from Calmini. I just want to wait till they have the vibe problem solved and also have a solution for the need for stiffer springs and shocks on the front end with the Calmini bumper and winch weights.

#393371 - 17/03/07 05:11 PM Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen Installation Tips
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just a comment on a cv joint at the t/case. I actually tried this on another slip yoke vehicle and it caused the fluid to leak out due to the slight wobbling effect of a CV. Not sure that would be a problem with our t/cases or not, but it is possible.

#393372 - 17/03/07 07:08 PM Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen Installation Tips
JtaoJ Offline

Loc: Layton, Utah
Quote:
Originally posted by Cyclemut:
Why not see if the diff yoke from a Frontier (D40 of course) will work on your diff and just get a double-carden with a normal u-joint on the diff side? Our local driveline shop does them all day long for the Fords and Jeeps for under $200. Just give them a static length and they can have in under a day.Static would be from the normal position of the slip yokes u-joint centerline to the new centerline of the diff side u-joint, on the ground.
Cyclemut, that is pretty much the idea. I didn't know about the Fronty diff yoke. Do you work for Nissan? If so, can you verify if that will work?

Lloyd, I am not sure what else to do on the wobble and potential leak...if it leaks, then we need to figure out what else needs to be done.

This is all great info and help, so thanks.

#393373 - 17/03/07 09:38 PM Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen Installation Tips
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm not able to do verify it at this time. I don't have the newer FAST cd to compare the parts. If the pinion gear was the same and the seal was the same part #'s, then I would hazard an educated guess that it was interchangeable.

And we put DC's on slip yokes all the time. Jeeps may develop a leak if the t-case bearings are old and have play in them. With a newer vehicle, I wouldn't hesitate.

#393374 - 20/03/07 03:04 PM Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen Installation Tips
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, Calimini now says I am the FIRST to complain about the vibration and they are surprised about it! You guys need to call so they know what is going on. I am calling them back with some more info, angles, and such.

#393375 - 20/03/07 07:36 PM Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen Installation Tips
JtaoJ Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Lloyd Swartz:
Ok, Calimini now says I am the FIRST to complain about the vibration and they are surprised about it! You guys need to call so they know what is going on. I am calling them back with some more info, angles, and such.
Ask for Dave Kampa. He knows what is going on. He was very helpful to me while I did the install. I have had great luck with them and Dave in particular.

#393376 - 21/03/07 06:02 AM Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen Installation Tips
Anonymous
Unregistered

I suggested to them that we may need a driveshaft spacer on the pinon, such as with the 6" FJ kit. That would be a cheap, down and dirty fix. My mechanic is convinced it is the driveshaft hanging too far out of the t/case. We may just go ahead and machine one up...

#393377 - 21/03/07 04:03 PM Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen Installation Tips
JtaoJ Offline

Quote:
I suggested to them that we may need a driveshaft spacer on the pinon, such as with the 6" FJ kit. That would be a cheap, down and dirty fix. My mechanic is convinced it is the driveshaft hanging too far out of the t/case. We may just go ahead and machine one up...
Be careful...I read somewhere about another guy who had a lift installed (not a Calmini lift...I forget which one...) To fix the vibration, he had someone from the shop mill a spacer out of billet aluminum, yadda, anyway, they did that, charged him lots of cash for the R & D, and then the spacer and it made the vibration worse. The drive shaft needs to be balanced, and if that spacer isn't part of the balance, it can make it worse overall. If your shop knows what they are doing, they may be able to fix the issue and not have the same problem. The shop the other guy used seemed to be a tad clueless.

The guy added diff/spring shims as was instructed by others on the thread I was following and it fixed it after pulling the spacer. I want to say the lift was a coil over in front and new springs (Alcan?) in back.

I do not disagree with you that the issue may be the slip yoke. I also know that Calmini is working on it and if their timeline is doable, I will wait a tad longer. If it is out there a bit (more than a couple of weeks), I am going to do the drive shaft with a double cardan set up. It will wipe the angle issue out completely and add length to the shaft.

If you do the spacer and it works, share the wealth!!

#393378 - 24/03/07 01:20 PM Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen Installation Tips
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,

Did you get any meaningful feedback from Calmini? I really wanted to get their lift kit until I read this thread... Now I am concerns.

Ciao~

#393379 - 25/03/07 10:32 AM Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen Installation Tips
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would hesitate on a spacer. I've seen several spacers fail on Chevy Colorados, causing drivelines to self destruct. Have the spacer and shaft balanced together, if you're going to do it.

#393380 - 26/03/07 06:40 AM Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen Installation Tips
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by whiterussian:
Hi,

Did you get any meaningful feedback from Calmini? I really wanted to get their lift kit until I read this thread... Now I am concerns.

Ciao~
No response yet. They pretended it was a new problem. At this point I have to give up on them and find a solution as I dont have the time to wait. A 5" lift is serious on any vehicle, and this one must have atleast a dozen problems or more. Many of the problems are serious, but very simple to fix, some are nothing. The driveshaft one I hope to be simple due to the limited vibration speeds. I asked them about the stock front springs supporting a bumper and winch./...they again pretended they never heard of it...but are working on an upgraded coil over [Spit]

#393381 - 28/03/07 05:39 PM Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen Installation Tips
JtaoJ Offline

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by whiterussian:
[b]Hi,

Ciao~
No response yet. They pretended it was a new problem. At this point I have to give up on them and find a solution as I dont have the time to wait. A 5" lift is serious on any vehicle, and this one must have atleast a dozen problems or more. Many of the problems are serious, but very simple to fix, some are nothing. The driveshaft one I hope to be simple due to the limited vibration speeds. I asked them about the stock front springs supporting a bumper and winch./...they again pretended they never heard of it...but are working on an upgraded coil over [Spit] [/b]
Wow, a dozen? I honestly didn't have a dozen. A few based on the instructions (poor instructions on a few items), and a few items that were taken care of with a little mechanical understanding and creativity. The driveshaft is the most complicated one for me and all it takes is money. If you can't wait on Calmini, and I understand completely, have your install shop recommend a driveline shop. Have a CV type driveline built. They will lengthen the driveline to compensate for the slip yoke pulling out a bit and the cv should fix any angle problems. The driveline will cost $250+.

On the front coils, that isn't a Calmini problem. Mine sagged under the weight of the bumper and winch long before my lift. You can buy replacement springs.

I am in the same boat on wanting this fixed. Who have you talked to with Calmini?

#393382 - 30/03/07 05:38 PM Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen Installation Tips
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, I picked up the truck today and the vibration has dulled to almost nothing. Maybe the suspension settled down?

#393383 - 31/03/07 08:56 PM Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen Installation Tips
JtaoJ Offline

what all did the mechanic do?

#393384 - 01/04/07 05:31 PM Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen Installation Tips
Anonymous
Unregistered

All he did was pull the driveshaft out and stick it back in....Which could not have fixed it...

#393385 - 02/04/07 12:12 AM Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen Installation Tips
johnnyx Offline
J

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Quote:
All he did was pull the driveshaft out and stick it back in....Which could not have fixed it...
You sure Nissan isn't using a rebranded Microsoft Driveshaft? [LOL]

#393386 - 06/04/07 09:01 AM Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen Installation Tips
JtaoJ Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyx:
Quote:
[b]All he did was pull the driveshaft out and stick it back in....Which could not have fixed it...
You sure Nissan isn't using a rebranded Microsoft Driveshaft? [LOL] [/b]
[Laughing] [Laughing] [Laughing]

#393387 - 08/04/07 06:10 PM Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen Installation Tips
Anonymous
Unregistered

Asside from my above safety post....After a few days wheeling the front will HAVE to be lifted more, it dragged non-stop. Also the compression struts will have to go, or be modified. Both are bent like horseshoes already...

#393388 - 09/04/07 07:38 PM Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen Installation Tips
JtaoJ Offline

Quote:
Asside from my above safety post....After a few days wheeling the front will HAVE to be lifted more, it dragged non-stop. Also the compression struts will have to go, or be modified. Both are bent like horseshoes already...
Pics of the horseshoes?

#393389 - 20/04/07 12:22 PM Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen Installation Tips
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah, pics plz..

#393390 - 20/04/07 01:47 PM Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen Installation Tips
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am without a digital camera right now, but the Golden Crack should be a good place to get a good look at the horse shoes next month. [ThumbsUp]

#393391 - 22/04/07 08:32 AM Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen Installation Tips
Anonymous
Unregistered

JTao- Pmd ya.. smile

#393392 - 16/05/07 06:22 PM Re: Calmini 5" 2nd Gen Installation Tips
JtaoJ Offline

Thought I should add one last tip / piece of info.

You have read that I have a rear driveline vibration issue since the lift install. I know several others do as well. Calmini has been working on a solution. They have it done. It is essentially a double cardan type of joint at the top of the driveline. JE Reel did Calmini's. Calmini will be adding to their sales literature that this may be something others will have to do if the vibration is present.

I called and confirmed with JE Reel and they have made two thus far. One for Calmini and one for a Calmini vendor. Not cheap.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal