Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#394219 - 17/09/03 01:36 PM ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Shrock Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
Here is a teaser pic. I'll post more tonight.

What da ya think?

#394220 - 17/09/03 01:42 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
xterrabull Offline

Loc: san jose, CA, USA
Beautiful...can I trade you my ARB for one??? laugh

#394221 - 17/09/03 01:43 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
wordtothis Offline

Loc: atlanta
that thing's freakin dope. laugh

david [Geek]

#394222 - 17/09/03 01:52 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
oleblue Offline

Loc: Winter Park, CO
Quote:
Originally posted by Shrock:

What da ya think?
Here come the critics. You asked for it. smile
Remove the tubing - on the 02,03's it goes against the grill lines, ugly I think. Looks like I stick with the stock bumpers.

#394223 - 17/09/03 01:53 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
babyX Offline

Nice.

#394224 - 17/09/03 02:00 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
sadly im with ole... it looks like it was made for another vehicle... the lines of the bars do not fit the Xterra.

i do like the lower section... but the tubing is all wrong

then again im not in the market for a winch bumper... so my opinion doesn't really matter...

#394225 - 17/09/03 02:11 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
I think it looks good.... wink

#394226 - 17/09/03 02:18 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Works for me, I kinda like the mirroring of the vertical parts of the grill and central hoop.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#394227 - 17/09/03 03:17 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
hattrik21 Offline

Loc: Lewisville, Texas
What sort of winches will fit in this?
www.TheNewX.org
It is in Men that we must place our hope.

#394228 - 17/09/03 04:56 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Looks like it was built for what it was ment to be used for. Nice work, although it would be even better if you had a few other options for the bumper as well....I do like it. Now seeing that I have ordered your Schrock bars, How Much For The Bumper and Are You Fabricating Any For The Frontiers?

#394229 - 17/09/03 05:00 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
twitch Offline

Loc: Brea, CA
Quote:
it looks like it was made for another vehicle... the lines of the bars do not fit the Xterra.
I agree this does not look good. The tubing needs to be reshaped and toned down.

Yatta! forever...
http://www.refriedchicken.com

#394230 - 17/09/03 05:15 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Todrick Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Herk:
Looks like it was built for what it was ment to be used for.
a Zuk?

no seriousy... I may have been mistaken. I thought this was going to be built specificly for the Xterra,
based off of Xterra owners input...

am I the only one who sees that it was built for the Xterra,
based off the pre-existing Shrockworks Zuk bumper, with no X owner input.

yes it is beefier for the X, the lower portion anyway, but in the original thread he said it is simply because the X's radiator/frame hangs so low

don't get me wrong, it looks like a well built product... it just does not compliment the lines of the Xterra.

on the zuk it looks good, because the tubes match the lines of the vehicle, especialy the buldge in the hood.

I guess I just misunderstood what this bumper was gonna be and the purpose of the original thread.

--------edited to add----------

ok, i figured it out...

it would look fine... if you took 2-3 inches off each side... its simply too wide

#394231 - 17/09/03 08:00 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Shrock Offline

Well I'm glad to see many of you like it. I had two people already today come ask me where I got, so I think it is going to go over pretty well.

Yes it easy to be a critic. smile Not everyone is gonna like anything. I did my best to revise it to what most people seemed to want. Keep in mind also that the products we build are designed with serious offroad performance first and foremost, so they will generally appeal most to people who wheel their X a lot, tear off the flimsy POS plastic bumper on rocks and would like to add a winch someday. A lot of people have a very differnt vision for their X.

The bumper IS also available w/o tube and custom tube work is always an option. Also available with a center hoop only, like this but thicker tube:
http://www.shrockworks.com/Forum_Images/Tube2-099s.jpg

Todrick , if you go back and read the other post you will see everyone asking for a beefier main hoop with less angle. That's what they got, so if you think that is ignoring people's input, I don't know what to tell you other than grab some steel, a plasma, a MIG , and bender and have at it. laugh ONE person liked the design that mirrored the lines of the X.

What you are seeing is actually the original prototype with some changes made manually after the laser cutting. The only other change that will be in the final version just so happens to be that it will be a little narrower (the outside corners are coming in a little). It was too big of a change to do manually.

RE: Winches, I've had a Warn HS 9500 and a Warn 9000i (integrated solenoid) in there. It should work with just about any 9000lb or less winch other than an 8274. The socket for connecting the winch is in a handy location on the bumper. You can see it in the pics just to the right of the driver side light. One nice thing about the design, is it still looks good while you are saving up money for a winch. Here are some more pics. Some are w/o a winch.

#394232 - 17/09/03 08:25 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Looks great Jim! I really like how the winch is almost completely hidden behind the bumper...nice! ARB's answer to the new front end was to make the bumper stick out more (and I hear it's damn ugly)...guess they didn't think about putting the winch gear in behind!

#394233 - 17/09/03 08:32 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
debgary Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
I have an ARB, but if I had a choice of tube designs to choose from, as Shrockworks offers, I'd take the center tube only style. Unless you plan on tearing through the savanna's of Africa at a high rate of speed, the center tube style provides plenty of front end protection. The bumper appears to "stick out" enough on the sides to protect there. Thanks for offering another choice, especially one with options. laugh

#394234 - 17/09/03 08:40 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
ChuckH Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by debgary:
I have an ARB, but if I had a choice of tube designs to choose from, as Shrockworks offers, I'd take the center tube only style. Unless you plan on tearing through the savanna's of Africa at a high rate of speed, the center tube style provides plenty of front end protection. The bumper appears to "stick out" enough on the sides to protect there. Thanks for offering another choice, especially one with options. laugh
Here in the PNW where the trails are tight and we have to get right up against trees, I love having the light surrounds. They help me with guiding the front end in tight spaces because I not only can see where the corner of the bumper is, but if I absolutely have to rub a tree I'd rather rub it on the bumper than the sheetmetal. Infact, one of the guys in our club almost shredded his front fender on a tree because a branch that was not too visible to him was sticking out and got caught between his corner light and the fender. Same trail we had to take one of my sliders off and carry it down the hill to him so he could get around a stump without damage. He bought the ARB the sliders the next week!

#394235 - 17/09/03 08:46 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
EMT_Diver Offline

Loc: USA
where's the remarks about how the gap is too small now?

(Shrock - this is not directed at you....)

according to the "experts" this will damage sheet metal when the frame flexes....

btw- the bumper looks AWESOME !!! great fit and finish and I really like how it doesn't stick out too far from the frame horns and front of the truck......

SHROCK - thank you for listening and creating something great for us.

#394236 - 17/09/03 08:55 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by emt_diver:
according to the "experts" this will damage sheet metal when the frame flexes....
It may. Shrockworks bumper looks to have the same clearance to the fender as my ARB. My ARB taps the fender over rough roads, and touches hard when flexing. The paint is gone from the ARB and the fender where they contact.

How them gears treating you ?

#394237 - 17/09/03 09:05 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
krisjon Offline

Loc: San Diego (formerly Oahu, Hawa...
I like what I see, but would love to see it on a 2000-2001 front end. I bet it matches up with the square headlights nicely and will help sell more.

Also, what happened to the beer opener? laugh

#394238 - 17/09/03 09:08 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Shrock Offline

If the body/frame flexes a lot it may touch the bumper mounted at this height. It hasnt yet pounding over railroad tracks and such. I doubt it would hit hard enough to damage the sheet metal on the X, but it could remove some paint on both if it did.

The ARB on my Trooper hits occasionally too. Doesn't bother me. You can always mount it a bit lower if you want.

The wings on this thing are VERY stout though. I stood right on the very tip end of one with all my weight on one foot and it did not flex. I'm not bashing ARB. It is a nice bumper, but you can easily flex the end of the wings with one hand on the ARB's....I think that is where some of the problems we've heard about are coming from.

#394239 - 17/09/03 09:27 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
ChuckH Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Quote:
Originally posted by emt_diver:
[b]according to the "experts" this will damage sheet metal when the frame flexes....
It may. Shrockworks bumper looks to have the same clearance to the fender as my ARB. My ARB taps the fender over rough roads, and touches hard when flexing. The paint is gone from the ARB and the fender where they contact.

How them gears treating you ?[/b]
Strange you have that problem. My ARB fits tighter than that with the fenders and AFAIK, the only time there has been contact between the two was when I was being stupid in the sand dunes and bottomed out the ARB at about 30 MPH (D'oh!). My hood sure beats up the fenders on rough roads though (moves side to side)! :rolleyes:

#394240 - 17/09/03 10:05 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
gmaxis Offline

Loc: America's Finest city
I think it looks awesome and follows the suggestions of a lot of XOC members and the classic design of a ShrockWorks bumper.

To echo krisjon's request, when can we see one installed on a 2000 -01 X? I will be in the market for a winchbumper after I complete my suspension lift and would appreciate the comparison between the ARB and Calimini bumper.

#394241 - 17/09/03 10:06 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
AverysX Offline

Loc: Austin, Tx
Great job!
I wanna see one on a 2k or 2k1 though and I wanna see it after the corners are taken in a little. Still seems a hair to wide.

#394242 - 17/09/03 10:08 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Todrick Offline

ok.... i guess i was harsh(i seem to do that a lot)

It looks great with just the center tube
still a bit wide, but you addressed that.

in refering to the other thread, I was thinking specificly of your original sketch... the "bug-eyed" look when you recieved complaints... you made mention of having another Idea in mind... it just seems that other idea was to do the exact same tubing as your other bumpers... without regard to the asthetics of the Xterra.

with that said... i still say it look like a hell of a product, that will suit a lot of people nicely... and it looks nice with only the center section.

i was just under the impression that it wasn't going to be so similar to your other bumper

#394243 - 17/09/03 10:40 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
twitch Offline

Loc: Brea, CA
Center tube only looks better, but I still think the center tube is to high (00-01) don't have the raise in the hood and I could only imagine what it would look like with my lights mounted up there. I would suggest lowering the center tube for the older models.

Yatta! forever...
http://www.refriedchicken.com

#394244 - 17/09/03 10:44 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
XOC Offline
Admin

Regarding 2000 and 2001 model year Xterras. Is there clearance for a winch with the A/C fan ?

#394245 - 17/09/03 10:56 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Shrock Offline

Todrick, no harm done. Yeah actually I had originally thought I'd end up doing something really different. The responses to the first design lead me to believe that too many people weren't going to like something really different though. I may be wrong on this, but that was just my take on the feedback. Most people like to be different, but not TOO different.

So I started playing and tried out design number two. I did not say it at the time, but the feedback I got on that one was basically saying "make it look like more like the Sammi bumper". This just reinforced my feeling that something more traditional was in order. I bent it up that way and thought it actually looked damn good, so there it is. smile

I do have an idea for a modification of the original design. I will probably do one eventually and offer it as an option. I think that style design is going to require much tighter radiuses to look good that what a normal bender can do though, so it will probably be a while. This is one of the other reasons I dropped it.

#394246 - 17/09/03 11:24 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Shrock Offline

I should have one on a local 2000 model pretty soon.

Ian,

As long as the fan doesnt stick out much further than than that sensor, it wont be an issue. I had the bumper mounted to a 2000, and everything looked fine. I just cant remember offhand if it had that fan or not. I'm pretty sure it did though.

(I borrowed this pic from someone's www site. Hope you dont mind.)

#394247 - 17/09/03 11:32 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
ChuckH Offline

Twitch; look at your picture! The lights already look goofy on top of the ARB, you have lights blocking the beam of your main lights, and wires are hanging all over the place. On top of that, it appears your camber is way out of spec. And you're worried about the height of the Schrock bar for placing your lights? confused [Finger]

Jim; All 2000's and early 2001's have the fan so if you had the bumper on a 2000 then the fan was there unless someone had removed it.

#394248 - 17/09/03 11:56 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, it took awhile, but I have to say that it was well worth the wait! It is a bumper that can, and will take a beating. If you are tired of ripping up your front bumper, than this bumper is for you. It looks SMOOTH. I call dibs on the first one!!!!!!!! What do you say Jim?

#394249 - 18/09/03 12:17 AM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
krisjon Offline

Hey Jim,

Are you doing any kind of incorporated front skid plate?

#394250 - 18/09/03 12:34 AM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Todrick Offline

Quote:
Todrick, no harm done. Yeah actually I
well its all good then.

keep up the good work man.

The main thing here is that you actually involved us... like i said in the original thread...

very cool

#394251 - 18/09/03 05:15 AM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
austinbrtndr Offline

Loc: ATX
Quote:
Originally posted by struve1976:
I call dibs on the first one!!!!!!!! What do you say Jim?
Too late [Finger] !!! Hey Jim... that is freakin awesome!!! I can't wait to come pick mine up (when will that be?)!!! Damn good work, and I am super stoked to be getting that on my truck! laugh Thanks for the great work and hopefully I'll be seeing you soon... [Wave]

West Ham UFC -- Come On You Irons!!!

www.myspace.com/kraigslist

Kraig

#394252 - 18/09/03 06:23 AM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Originally posted by debgary:
Unless you plan on tearing through the savanna's of Africa at a high rate of speed, the center tube style provides plenty of front end protection.
Ya never know when those side hoops will come in handy...

http://www.rocky-road.com/extreme2.html

Remember that one Schlud?
Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#394253 - 18/09/03 06:30 AM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
RI Xterra Offline

I say thanks Jim for at least taking the time to listen to our input and what not...Alot of other companies won't even do that...ARB is redesigning the bumpers for the X's did they some on here and see what we thought?

Hey Jim have you decided on a price yet??

Also when are you gonna make us a complete set of skid plates? wink

#394254 - 18/09/03 10:50 AM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Anonymous
Unregistered

How about a side shot or 3/4 shot?

#394255 - 18/09/03 12:18 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Shrock Offline

Sadly the bumper has done home with it's owner. Man it was hard to let it go after all that work!

I do have some more pics, but this is the closest thing I could find to a 3/4. There is a closeup side shot on the first page. I didn't take a far away side shot. I can get some more pics in a week or so though when he comes back.

I am going to do skid plates at some point. Not sure exactly when though.

Here is a staright from a little further away.

Jim

#394256 - 18/09/03 12:32 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
XSAL Offline

Loc: 94043 -> 19355
Very nice finish. smile

I have one question...
Is there anything to prevent the 2 main plate things that attach to the fornt end frame from being bent while winching from the extreme side pull?

An ARB bumper has little triangle shape pieces attached to those main plates, and those appear to reinforce the them.

A Calmini bumper does not have the little triangle pieces, but its skid plate acts as a very strong reinforcement for the side pull.

#394257 - 18/09/03 03:29 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Kudos Jim on a job well done. The input from X owners has proven itself to be an asset after all. I (like a few others ) will wait to see the design on an 00-01. IMHO you did a great job once again and look forward to the pricing structure. laugh

#394258 - 18/09/03 04:36 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
krisjon Offline

Quote:

I am going to do skid plates at some point. Not sure exactly when though.

Jim
I was more interested to know if you had just a front skid planned to go with your bumper (ala Calmini or what you've done for the ARB)? Not the full set (like Skid Row) that others seem to be asking about.

#394259 - 18/09/03 05:59 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
ROKN_X Offline

Jim, that looks PHAT. laugh Great Job!

P.S. - I really like my sliders...

#394260 - 18/09/03 09:25 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Canadian5150 Offline

I want one,,, send it north !!! eek

#394261 - 18/09/03 10:13 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I AM THE PROUD NEW OWNER of the first SHROCKWORKS Nissan Xterra bumper! My Gold X was Jim's guineau pig. A few of my colleagues came over to the house and checked out the bumper firsthand. They thought it was the toughest and best-looking thing they had "EVER" seen on a Nissan. This is a tough group, but I've gotta tell ya'll, it was unanimous. The bumper is a huge hit! My buds and I are all Texas State Trooper's, so you all know that means that we are right 100% of the time! J/K! Ya'll need to order yours if you haven't because this new Shrockworks bumper is going to take over the Nissan Xterra replacement bumper market!! Jim, see you next for more pics if you need them.

#394262 - 19/09/03 07:11 AM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jim, Awsome job! I am glad you are offering your bumper with options. Look forward to seeing it on a 2000/01. I think it will be a perfect match for my Shockworks Sliders [Smoking]

#394263 - 19/09/03 08:25 AM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
p.i.n.o. Offline

Loc: Sugar Land, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by struve1976:
I AM THE PROUD NEW OWNER of the first SHROCKWORKS Nissan Xterra bumper!
I see you're from Sugar Land. I'll be sure to wave if I see around. I live right near First Colony Mall. I'd buy Jim's work at a heartbeat but unfortunately I still have to drop $3000 on school for this semester. mad

#394264 - 19/09/03 09:09 AM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
01SalsaXterra Offline

Loc: Suffolk County,NY,USA
Just a word of caution for the owner of the X w/ the kick ass new Shrock bumper... If that winch cable is the synthetic rope kind, you shouldnt use a roller fairlead. It can shred the rope. Masterpull says that an aluminum Hawse fairlead should be used. Good luck with it.

I got "IT" from ebay.
Now it burns when I pee..

#394265 - 19/09/03 09:28 AM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Shrock Offline

Correct info Salsa.

That is actually my rope and fairlead. It was only in there for the pics. I used a roller fairlead instead of the Al one for the pics since that is what most people are accustom seeing.

Jim

#394266 - 19/09/03 01:34 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by 01SalsaXterra:
Masterpull says that an aluminum Hawse fairlead should be used. Good luck with it.
Got a link to that ?

One would think that a roller fairlead, which rolls with the rope wouldn't cause as much damage as a hawse fairlead, which doesn't move and causes much friction.

I see Masterpull sells a smooth Hawse fairlead to reduce friction, but couldn't find any rhyme or reason as to why a roller shouldn't be used.

#394267 - 19/09/03 02:37 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Shrock Offline

The rope I have is not MasterPull rope, not that it really matters, but anyway, I could not find that specifically on their site.

They do sell an Al fairlead they say is designed specifically for synth line though. I've always heard that is was best not to use a roller fairlead with synth line, but I cant say that I've heard it from any official source. Supposedly a chewed up roller can fray the rope.

I never really questioned it though bec. one of the great advantages of synthetic rope is that you don't NEED to run a roller fairlead. Going to the Al one save you 10-15lbs off the front of your rig and it doesn't stick out nearly as far. The synth rope will save you probably another 10bs over the wire rope.

Look what I did to one of my roller fairleads. I hate them.

The pic at the top of the page linked below is me. Look at the fairlead. laugh

-> Click here <-

#394268 - 19/09/03 02:39 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Shrock Offline

BTW, one of those crappy rough cast hawse fairleads would be a really bad idea. Definitely dont go there.

Here is another pic:

#394269 - 19/09/03 04:51 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
01SalsaXterra Offline

Loc: Suffolk County,NY,USA
"AFL-001: Finally a fairlead designed specifically for winches running synthetic winch rope. This fairlead is machined from billet aluminum and maintains a smooth machined surface. Unlike traditional steel fairleads, this fairlead will not fray or tangle the winch rope. In addition, this aluminum fairlead weighs only a fraction of the steel hawse and roller fairleads. Each aluminum fairlead comes with mounting hardware as shown."
From Spidertrax's website..

I spoke with Masterpull when I ordered my synthetic winch line and asked numerous questions regarding all of this before I made my purchase.
I ended up with 125'X 5/16" Cable (14,500lb), instead of the 100'X3/8" steel cable that came with my Milemarker winch (12,500lb strength).
My Milemarker steel cable weighed easily 25-30lbs. And the Masterpull cable with the hook weighs 8lbs!!! Im glad I can run a winch and give the Torsion bars a little less weight to carry.
And I ordered the Spidertrax Alum. hawse fairlead.
They said that synthetic rope type cable could get pinched in a roller fairlead and it could lead to fraying or snapping and it wouldnt be covered by any sort of warranty from them. So I decided to stick with what they recommended, in case I had ay problems with the cable.
My cable spools and unspools beautifully without a roller fairlead. The aluminum is a machined piece with perfect smooth edges, not to mention that it weighs nothing.

alum. fairlead

winch lines

I got "IT" from ebay.
Now it burns when I pee..

#394270 - 19/09/03 07:20 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Shrock Offline

The sythetic rope, winches, and Aluminum fairleads will be available from us shorty to BTW to go with the bumper.

Jim

#394271 - 21/09/03 01:28 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
I think it looks great!

I like that it is higher than the hood line and wider than the fender line...On a roll or lay over, it makes a big difference to have something hit first that can take the brunt of the impact, and protect the front clip, etc.

smile

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#394272 - 22/09/03 08:17 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
XSAL Offline

Loc: 94043 -> 19355
Quote:
Originally posted by XSAL:
Very nice finish. smile

I have one question...
Is there anything to prevent the 2 main plate things that attach to the fornt end frame from being bent while winching from the extreme side pull?

An ARB bumper has little triangle shape pieces attached to those main plates, and those appear to reinforce the them.

A Calmini bumper does not have the little triangle pieces, but its skid plate acts as a very strong reinforcement for the side pull.
I'm just still curious to find out about this... smile

#394273 - 23/09/03 06:31 AM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
austinbrtndr Offline

Loc: ATX
HEY JIM!!! you got a pm...

West Ham UFC -- Come On You Irons!!!

www.myspace.com/kraigslist

Kraig

#394274 - 23/09/03 06:46 AM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Richard Krenn Offline

Loc: Mount Vernon, WA, USA
I like it. Can you use a high lift on it?

Richard

#394275 - 23/09/03 08:45 AM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Shrock Offline

The two plates that attach to the frame are 3/8" thick. That is twice as thick as the ones on the ARB. They are also supported by the bumper itself.

A highlift goes right into the the cutouts on the bottom.

Jim

#394276 - 23/09/03 01:12 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I see extra holes on the front for a license plate. What happens we have a winch AND our state requires a front license?

#394277 - 23/09/03 01:15 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
off2cjb Offline

Price?

#394278 - 23/09/03 01:42 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Shrock Offline

Price is $575

You can get a mount for the Lisc plate that clips onto the roller fairlead like this:

warning huge pics pic

or you can drill a couple holes an attach it one one of the side wing...there is only so much room to go around on any bumper.

#394279 - 23/09/03 01:53 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
off2cjb Offline

Sweet. I think I may in the market soon.

#394280 - 23/09/03 09:03 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
RedX Offline

Loc: Granite Falls, NC
I think it's a damn fine piece of work.

Kudos to you, Jim, for offering another nice product for our Xterras, and for doing it taking end-user input for ideas on the design.

Keep up this work....

laugh

http://www.metzgardesign.com

#394281 - 25/09/03 10:08 AM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
marmillerX Offline

Loc: Shrewsbury, MA
I can't wait to get one. Is there any sneek previews of a rear bumper coming soon? I would love to see another design that would give Skidrow and Calmini a run for their money. Great Work, Keep us Posted.

#394282 - 27/09/03 09:48 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
ClaptoVaughn Offline

Loc: Southern California
Quote:
Originally posted by marmillerX:
Is there any sneek previews of a rear bumper coming soon? I would love to see another design that would give Skidrow and Calmini a run for their money.
hope you'll keep us posted when you do start to design the rear bumper.
by the way, thanks for the sliders smile . i've abused them all week and they show no signs of wear.

#394283 - 29/09/03 11:02 AM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Ramstein92 Offline

Loc: Frisco, Tx
Quote:
Originally posted by marmillerX:
I can't wait to get one. Is there any sneek previews of a rear bumper coming soon? I would love to see another design that would give Skidrow and Calmini a run for their money. Great Work, Keep us Posted.
Raingler is/was supposed to be doing one.
SWXC Member #61
Stop plate tectonics!

#394284 - 30/09/03 01:08 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I like the way it looks, I'd be happy with that, but I prefer the brush guards that have the smaller bars that cover the head lights.

#394285 - 30/09/03 01:57 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Ben E Gas:
I like the way it looks, I'd be happy with that, but I prefer the brush guards that have the smaller bars that cover the head lights.
Brush guards are purely cosmetic items.
This is a functional bumper. Big difference.

#394286 - 30/09/03 03:28 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jimbo, any pics of an '01 with/ coming soon?

#394287 - 30/09/03 06:13 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Shrock Offline

Should have some pics on a 2000 in about 3 weeks.

Jim

#394288 - 02/10/03 09:26 AM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
wordtothis Offline

Loc: atlanta
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Quote:
Originally posted by Ben E Gas:
[b]I like the way it looks, I'd be happy with that, but I prefer the brush guards that have the smaller bars that cover the head lights.
Brush guards are purely cosmetic items.
This is a functional bumper. Big difference.[/b]
that all depends on how much reckless disregard you have for your "brush guard."
my old brush guard on my trooper was a feeler for poles, dead trees, an emergency brake, everything.
and it worked very well.
david [Geek]

#394289 - 03/10/03 02:43 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
my old brush guard on my trooper was a feeler for poles, dead trees, an emergency brake, everything.
and it worked very well.

The bottom centr bar is bent from when I met the mountain. First week I got it. Haven't done that again since.. [Smoking]

#394290 - 04/10/03 01:54 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
You're lucky you didn't hit higher. It has a tendancy to bend back and hit the hood, or the headlight hoops bend back and hit the fenders.

It's a Brush guard because all it protects against is brush. Anything with a trunk diameter greater than and inch and a half will probably cause body damage.

Back to the topic.

I like how the bumper doesn't stick out too far to the front, and still holds a winch.

Nice Design Jim.

Xterra101.com

#394291 - 17/10/03 04:41 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Mapman Offline

Loc: Crystal Lake, IL
Quote:
The only other change that will be in the final version just so happens to be that it will be a little narrower (the outside corners are coming in a little). It was too big of a change to do manually.
Any pictures yet of the redesign with the more narrow corners? Also any pictures with it on a 2000 yet?

http://midwestxterraowners.com/

#394292 - 20/10/03 05:42 AM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
surfingteacher Offline

Loc: Richardson
Still waiting to see pics of it on a 2000.
TNT #14
SWXC #95
I wish I could think of something clever to put here.
Cardomain

#394293 - 20/10/03 08:46 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Shrock Offline

Not yet, but it should be much longer. About 2 weeks.

#394294 - 21/10/03 07:21 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
xterran01 Offline

Loc: Houston
Two weeks...seems like a really long time laugh

#394295 - 03/11/03 05:50 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi jim, pics on '00-01 ready? smile

#394296 - 06/11/03 08:36 AM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Mapman Offline

Buuummmpppp.... got pics? smile

Jim I know you guys are working as fast as you can and I am sorry for the impatience but I am just itching to see what it looks like on a 2000 with the redesign so I can then place my order, and you know this damn cash is just burning a hole in my pocket! laugh

edited to say: I couldn't wait any longer for the pics, I ordered it today!! WOOOHOOOO laugh

#394297 - 07/11/03 04:42 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Xtracurricular Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
Maybe you could send us some pics once installed then?

#394298 - 09/11/03 11:40 AM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
PoorBoy Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX
How come the bumper isn't on the Shrockworks website yet?

#394299 - 10/11/03 11:21 AM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
xterran01 Offline

Not to speak for Jim or anything, but I believe he hasn't put the bumper on the Shrockworks site because he wants to be sure there isn't any further "fine tuning" required before it is classified officially as an available product. One is in production for my '00 so we should have some pix soon (I hope...) If it fits mine okay (which I'm sure it will) and looks as good as it does the later model he's already posted pics of (which I'm sure it will) I would imagine it will appear on the site soon thereafter.

#394300 - 11/11/03 08:05 AM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Shrock Offline

Hey Guys,

Sorry for the delay. I was at SEMA and was working feverously on a couple projects for vehicles that were in the show for the week before that. Things are finally back to normal. I've done all the 3AM CAD work and welding I can take for a while. smile

It's not up on the site yet bec I wanted to get through the first batch of production orders we already have b4 starting a huge backlog. It will be up there in a few weeks.

I got a little behind from this, but pics om Ricks 2000 should be ready in 2-3 weeks. I apologize for the delay. We are taking orders if anyone wants to get in line. The price is still $575.00, but it looks like it will be going up some in a few weeks.

#394301 - 11/11/03 01:37 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Mapman Offline

Jim,

Do you know what model Pro Comps are being used in the photos you originally posted, and are there going to be mounting holes pre-drilled for lights?

Thanks - Erik

#394302 - 11/11/03 07:16 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Shrock Offline

Hey,

Sorry I don’t. I won them in a raffle. I'm guessing they are either the 55's or the 6" ones from looking at the pics here. They arent fluted like the 130's.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/product2.asp?imseqn=325&occlass=EXPLORER&cat=LIG

There will be holes there for lights.

Jim

#394303 - 23/11/03 04:36 AM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
RI Xterra Offline

Does anyone who bought the bumper have pics yet?

#394304 - 23/11/03 07:49 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
xterran01 Offline

We are scheduled to test fit mine this Friday before sending it to the powdercoaters. Depending on how soon they can get it coated and back to Jim, we should have some pix of the bumper installed on my '00 within a week to ten days after that, hopefully. I've been driving around with no bumper for a several weeks - feels nekkid... [Smoking]

#394305 - 24/11/03 11:50 AM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Scott Offline

Loc: Fort Collins, Colorado
Why not post pics this Friday? We don't care if its power coated, we want to see how the 2000/2001 hoodline looks with the bumper, as well as the square headlights. There is no downside to posting pics early.
Post pics early:
- People like it and order it, OR
- People don't like it and wait to see powder coated pics to decide for sure

Wait to post pics:
- People get sick of waiting and buy different bumper, OR
- People continue to wait

Just post pics!

#394306 - 24/11/03 12:03 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Shrock Offline

No prob, I'll post sans pretty paint. laugh

#394307 - 28/11/03 04:02 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Shrock Offline

Pics, as requested on a 2000.

Tube dimensions had to be tweaked for this model for the best appearance, so it will be different than the 02+ (just as you see here). You can also see how the corners have been brought in (this change effects both versions.)

Jim

#394308 - 28/11/03 04:03 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Shrock Offline

#394309 - 28/11/03 04:04 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Shrock Offline

#394310 - 28/11/03 05:49 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
off2cjb Offline

Sweet!!! Now to come up with some green.

#394311 - 28/11/03 08:30 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Canadian5150 Offline

Damn that looks Fantastic !!!

Why are you so far south... shipping way up here would kill me. I still want one though. Hmmm I will have to figure out how to get around the shipping, and border. Perhaps I shall just go for a drive !!! [Freak]

#394312 - 28/11/03 09:06 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Shrock Offline

I'm trying to figure something out for shipping to Canada with the Bumper, sliders arent too bad.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

#394313 - 28/11/03 10:31 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
xterran01 Offline

Trust me - if you think it looks good in the pix, wait till you see it on your own X!! :p I'm replacing an ARB with this and I thought the ARB looked pretty good, but after we got the upper bars tweaked and tack welded in place, Jim's bumper looks even better. It looks like it was (duh!) designed specifically for the XTerra. Plus, the first fit was literally perfect as far as mounting hole alignment (effortless) and squareness with the body work. The main frame members are extremely beefy and those tow points are actually part of the mounting frame which protrude through the face of the bumper. Definitely a product which lives up to the quality and engineering expertise you expect from Shrockworks.

#394314 - 29/11/03 05:26 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Canadian5150 Offline

Quote:
I'm trying to figure something out for shipping to Canada with the Bumper, sliders arent too bad.
Looking forward to the results !!

The first things I do in the spring are AAL's and tires. Then I want your bumper, and then a body lift... Not too sure how I would alter the mounting points with the BL???

#394315 - 29/11/03 05:47 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Shrock Offline

Some more pics of final version on 2000...

#394316 - 29/11/03 05:48 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Shrock Offline

w/o tube....

#394317 - 29/11/03 05:48 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Shrock Offline

#394318 - 29/11/03 05:49 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Shrock Offline

last one...

#394319 - 29/11/03 05:52 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
xterran01 Offline

I almost forgot about the pix we took before the tubes were tacked on - I think it looks pretty damned fine, even w/o the tubing.

#394320 - 29/11/03 10:19 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
bluztraveler Offline

Loc: Surrey , B.C. ,Canada
Jim the bumper looks great. About shipping to Canada, try local 4X4 shops? Don't let ARB corner the market up here. Try Sports Trucks Unlimited in Surrey. PM me if you want me to look around. Competition is good.

#394321 - 29/11/03 11:40 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
DaFRIDGE Offline

Loc: las vegas nv
What is that red skid plate i see in the photos? are you developing one for your bumper? will your arb plate work?

#394322 - 30/11/03 10:28 AM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
OnlyOneDR Offline

Look closer, that's a painted factory skid...

Battleship - 2001 Frontier Desert Runner
NOAS Club Membership Coordinator and Treasurer 2016-2017
http://www.noas4x4club.com/

#394323 - 30/11/03 12:35 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Canadian5150 Offline

There are just a few 4 X 4 shops here in southern Ontario. Simply put, they suck !!! terrible customer service, and delays in order placing...

#394324 - 30/11/03 02:18 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
xterran01 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by OnlyOneDR:
Look closer, that's a painted factory skid...
That's correct - when I had my ARB I had a Shrockworks skid plate mounted to it, so I decided to paint the stock plate the same color. I do believe that Jim has future plans to develop a skid as well.

#394325 - 30/11/03 05:25 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Mapman Offline

Now that I've seen it on a 2000 I can't wait to get mine and get it installed!!!!

#394326 - 30/11/03 08:38 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
gmaxis Offline

Loc: America's Finest city
It looks great on square! Now to start a winch bumper fund...

#394327 - 01/12/03 05:55 AM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Scott Offline

Loc: Fort Collins, Colorado
It looks great! I'll be placing my order.

#394328 - 01/12/03 11:02 AM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Mapman Offline

Hey Jim I have a quick question. I was just checking out the photos on the old and new models and I noticed that the bumper appears to stick a lot further out on the 2000 compared to the new model year? I understand this is probably due to the new grill design on the more recent model but the other spot was on the ends near the tires, it looks like it's about 2-3 inches further away from the wheel well. The best way I can describe how it looks to me like is it is cut off short. I am just wondering if that is an effect of the angles in the photos, possibly another design change, or if it is due to the different model years? I included the photos I see the differences....

#394329 - 01/12/03 04:50 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Canadian5150 Offline

It looks the same to me. I think the shadows and angle that the photo was taken may have played a part in what your eye is seeing !

#394330 - 01/12/03 10:24 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Shrock Offline

It's 3/4" shorter. Just to make sure there are no tire rubbing issues with larger tires.

Jim

#394331 - 02/12/03 07:44 AM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Mapman Offline

Is that going to be standard for both model year versions or just the 00/01 version?

#394332 - 02/12/03 10:12 AM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Shrock Offline

I just double checked the CAD file and the wrap around wings are actually 3/8" shorter near the tire than the other picture. Yes, this will be that way on on both models.

I think most of what you are seeing is that it looks like the main bumper sticks out further around the grill area on a 2000, but the bumper location is EXACTLTY the same on both relative to the frame and has not changed. The grill on the '02 just sticks forward about 3" further.

BTW, in case you are curious, it would not be possible to move the bumper back on the 2000. There would not be room for the winch.

Jim

#394333 - 02/12/03 05:00 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
xterran01 Offline

If you compare both pictures, look at the relationship between the vertical seam just under the marker lights and the corner of the bumper. It's the same distance, just the plastic "nose" structure that's different.

#394334 - 03/12/03 10:23 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Strom Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I just saw your truck tonight parked in front of the Gingerman in Houston!! Didn't have the bumper on it currently... frown

Still, it was pretty cool.

#394335 - 08/12/03 05:02 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Jim,

I really like your new bumper. I noticed on a different thread that shipping was around $150 to a commercial address. Im assuming it is possible pick the bumper up myself.

Also how difficult is instalation. Would you recommend having someone else install it, and how much would you charge?

#394336 - 08/12/03 05:36 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Shrock Offline

Sure, you can pick it up.

Nothing about it is very difficult. The most time consuming part it removing the stock bumper. Installing the new one is simple. You need a helper and a floor jack is very helpful for adjusting the fit.

If you want to remove the stock bumper before you come, I'll install it for free, or for $20 we'll do it start to finish.

Jim

#394337 - 08/12/03 08:41 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm just a noobee, but I'll put my $.02 in.

The way it looks on the older models makes me wish I had shopped used, just for this bumper - it looks amazing.

However, I agree, for the newer body style the lines are not right - there's something just a tad troubling when looking at it. It almost seems as though you could flip the center tube over and fit the front grille lines just right.

I now know what I want when I grow up! If further modifications are made to accommodate aesthetics for later models, I'll drive south and take you up on that installation offer - very generous of you!

[Wave]

#394338 - 12/05/06 12:47 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Anonymous
Unregistered

My Shrock front in Xterra gray, with center hoop only. Was a long wait, but very happy! (yes, I know it is a parking lot pic, but I am at work.. [Finger] )

#394339 - 12/05/06 01:01 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nothing like bringing back a thread that's been dead for 2.5 years. smile

Truck looks niiiice.

#394340 - 12/05/06 01:12 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
RI Xterra Offline

So your in the piano buisness.

#394341 - 12/05/06 02:10 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by RI Xterra:
So your in the piano buisness.
lol...actually, my ambulance is parked a couple of spots to the left.

Quote:
Originally posted by cornick:
[QB]Nothing like bringing back a thread that's been dead for 2.5 years. smile
QB]
While the thread was....assuming room temperature, I could not help but try to save it from oblivion. Besides, revive an old one, or start a new one in "pictures" a thread is a thread. :rolleyes:

Psst.....please don't tell the thread nazi's I said that. [Too much XOC]

#394342 - 12/05/06 02:55 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow Ty! Your rig's really come together, looks awesome! [ThumbsUp]

#394343 - 12/05/06 08:02 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by 2Xplore:

Psst.....please don't tell the thread nazi's I said that. [Too much XOC]
Hah, don't worry, I won't tell Brent.
[Freak]

#394344 - 13/05/06 02:29 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah! Hooray dead posts!

Glad to see you have a bumper for your Moab trip!

I'll miss you big guy!

By the way who's Gunnar going to throw rocks at now? [LOL]

#394345 - 13/05/06 05:46 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Sinagua:
By the way who's Gunnar going to throw rocks at now? [LOL]
I am sure that Gunnar will have his pick of other fat, sasquatch looking hillbillies to replace me in N.C. laugh .....I would put on my Carolina flame suit now, but I think I could get away before they could finish rubbing two sticks together.... wink

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal