Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#394244 - 17/09/03 10:44 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Regarding 2000 and 2001 model year Xterras. Is there clearance for a winch with the A/C fan ?

#394245 - 17/09/03 10:56 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Shrock Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
Todrick, no harm done. Yeah actually I had originally thought I'd end up doing something really different. The responses to the first design lead me to believe that too many people weren't going to like something really different though. I may be wrong on this, but that was just my take on the feedback. Most people like to be different, but not TOO different.

So I started playing and tried out design number two. I did not say it at the time, but the feedback I got on that one was basically saying "make it look like more like the Sammi bumper". This just reinforced my feeling that something more traditional was in order. I bent it up that way and thought it actually looked damn good, so there it is. smile

I do have an idea for a modification of the original design. I will probably do one eventually and offer it as an option. I think that style design is going to require much tighter radiuses to look good that what a normal bender can do though, so it will probably be a while. This is one of the other reasons I dropped it.

#394246 - 17/09/03 11:24 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Shrock Offline

I should have one on a local 2000 model pretty soon.

Ian,

As long as the fan doesnt stick out much further than than that sensor, it wont be an issue. I had the bumper mounted to a 2000, and everything looked fine. I just cant remember offhand if it had that fan or not. I'm pretty sure it did though.

(I borrowed this pic from someone's www site. Hope you dont mind.)

#394247 - 17/09/03 11:32 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Twitch; look at your picture! The lights already look goofy on top of the ARB, you have lights blocking the beam of your main lights, and wires are hanging all over the place. On top of that, it appears your camber is way out of spec. And you're worried about the height of the Schrock bar for placing your lights? confused [Finger]

Jim; All 2000's and early 2001's have the fan so if you had the bumper on a 2000 then the fan was there unless someone had removed it.

#394248 - 17/09/03 11:56 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, it took awhile, but I have to say that it was well worth the wait! It is a bumper that can, and will take a beating. If you are tired of ripping up your front bumper, than this bumper is for you. It looks SMOOTH. I call dibs on the first one!!!!!!!! What do you say Jim?

#394249 - 18/09/03 12:17 AM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
krisjon Offline

Loc: San Diego (formerly Oahu, Hawa...
Hey Jim,

Are you doing any kind of incorporated front skid plate?

#394250 - 18/09/03 12:34 AM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
Quote:
Originally posted by Shrock:
Todrick, no harm done. Yeah actually I
well its all good then.

keep up the good work man.

The main thing here is that you actually involved us... like i said in the original thread...

very cool

#394251 - 18/09/03 05:15 AM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
austinbrtndr Offline

Loc: ATX
Quote:
Originally posted by struve1976:
I call dibs on the first one!!!!!!!! What do you say Jim?
Too late [Finger] !!! Hey Jim... that is freakin awesome!!! I can't wait to come pick mine up (when will that be?)!!! Damn good work, and I am super stoked to be getting that on my truck! laugh Thanks for the great work and hopefully I'll be seeing you soon... [Wave]

West Ham UFC -- Come On You Irons!!!

www.myspace.com/kraigslist

Kraig

#394252 - 18/09/03 06:23 AM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Originally posted by debgary:
Unless you plan on tearing through the savanna's of Africa at a high rate of speed, the center tube style provides plenty of front end protection.
Ya never know when those side hoops will come in handy...

http://www.rocky-road.com/extreme2.html

Remember that one Schlud?
Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#394253 - 18/09/03 06:30 AM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
I say thanks Jim for at least taking the time to listen to our input and what not...Alot of other companies won't even do that...ARB is redesigning the bumpers for the X's did they some on here and see what we thought?

Hey Jim have you decided on a price yet??

Also when are you gonna make us a complete set of skid plates? wink

#394254 - 18/09/03 10:50 AM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Anonymous
Unregistered

How about a side shot or 3/4 shot?

#394255 - 18/09/03 12:18 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Shrock Offline

Sadly the bumper has done home with it's owner. Man it was hard to let it go after all that work!

I do have some more pics, but this is the closest thing I could find to a 3/4. There is a closeup side shot on the first page. I didn't take a far away side shot. I can get some more pics in a week or so though when he comes back.

I am going to do skid plates at some point. Not sure exactly when though.

Here is a staright from a little further away.

Jim

#394256 - 18/09/03 12:32 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
XSAL Offline

Loc: 94043 -> 19355
Very nice finish. smile

I have one question...
Is there anything to prevent the 2 main plate things that attach to the fornt end frame from being bent while winching from the extreme side pull?

An ARB bumper has little triangle shape pieces attached to those main plates, and those appear to reinforce the them.

A Calmini bumper does not have the little triangle pieces, but its skid plate acts as a very strong reinforcement for the side pull.

#394257 - 18/09/03 03:29 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Kudos Jim on a job well done. The input from X owners has proven itself to be an asset after all. I (like a few others ) will wait to see the design on an 00-01. IMHO you did a great job once again and look forward to the pricing structure. laugh

#394258 - 18/09/03 04:36 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
krisjon Offline

Loc: San Diego (formerly Oahu, Hawa...
Quote:
Originally posted by Shrock:

I am going to do skid plates at some point. Not sure exactly when though.

Jim
I was more interested to know if you had just a front skid planned to go with your bumper (ala Calmini or what you've done for the ARB)? Not the full set (like Skid Row) that others seem to be asking about.

#394259 - 18/09/03 05:59 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
ROKN_X Offline

Jim, that looks PHAT. laugh Great Job!

P.S. - I really like my sliders...

#394260 - 18/09/03 09:25 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Canadian5150 Offline

I want one,,, send it north !!! eek

#394261 - 18/09/03 10:13 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I AM THE PROUD NEW OWNER of the first SHROCKWORKS Nissan Xterra bumper! My Gold X was Jim's guineau pig. A few of my colleagues came over to the house and checked out the bumper firsthand. They thought it was the toughest and best-looking thing they had "EVER" seen on a Nissan. This is a tough group, but I've gotta tell ya'll, it was unanimous. The bumper is a huge hit! My buds and I are all Texas State Trooper's, so you all know that means that we are right 100% of the time! J/K! Ya'll need to order yours if you haven't because this new Shrockworks bumper is going to take over the Nissan Xterra replacement bumper market!! Jim, see you next for more pics if you need them.

#394262 - 19/09/03 07:11 AM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jim, Awsome job! I am glad you are offering your bumper with options. Look forward to seeing it on a 2000/01. I think it will be a perfect match for my Shockworks Sliders [Smoking]

#394263 - 19/09/03 08:25 AM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
p.i.n.o. Offline

Loc: Sugar Land, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by struve1976:
I AM THE PROUD NEW OWNER of the first SHROCKWORKS Nissan Xterra bumper!
I see you're from Sugar Land. I'll be sure to wave if I see around. I live right near First Colony Mall. I'd buy Jim's work at a heartbeat but unfortunately I still have to drop $3000 on school for this semester. mad

#394264 - 19/09/03 09:09 AM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
01SalsaXterra Offline

Loc: Suffolk County,NY,USA
Just a word of caution for the owner of the X w/ the kick ass new Shrock bumper... If that winch cable is the synthetic rope kind, you shouldnt use a roller fairlead. It can shred the rope. Masterpull says that an aluminum Hawse fairlead should be used. Good luck with it.

I got "IT" from ebay.
Now it burns when I pee..

#394265 - 19/09/03 09:28 AM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Shrock Offline

Correct info Salsa.

That is actually my rope and fairlead. It was only in there for the pics. I used a roller fairlead instead of the Al one for the pics since that is what most people are accustom seeing.

Jim

#394266 - 19/09/03 01:34 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by 01SalsaXterra:
Masterpull says that an aluminum Hawse fairlead should be used. Good luck with it.
Got a link to that ?

One would think that a roller fairlead, which rolls with the rope wouldn't cause as much damage as a hawse fairlead, which doesn't move and causes much friction.

I see Masterpull sells a smooth Hawse fairlead to reduce friction, but couldn't find any rhyme or reason as to why a roller shouldn't be used.

#394267 - 19/09/03 02:37 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Shrock Offline

The rope I have is not MasterPull rope, not that it really matters, but anyway, I could not find that specifically on their site.

They do sell an Al fairlead they say is designed specifically for synth line though. I've always heard that is was best not to use a roller fairlead with synth line, but I cant say that I've heard it from any official source. Supposedly a chewed up roller can fray the rope.

I never really questioned it though bec. one of the great advantages of synthetic rope is that you don't NEED to run a roller fairlead. Going to the Al one save you 10-15lbs off the front of your rig and it doesn't stick out nearly as far. The synth rope will save you probably another 10bs over the wire rope.

Look what I did to one of my roller fairleads. I hate them.

The pic at the top of the page linked below is me. Look at the fairlead. laugh

-> Click here <-

#394268 - 19/09/03 02:39 PM Re: ShrockWorks Winch Bumper - It's Done!
Shrock Offline

BTW, one of those crappy rough cast hawse fairleads would be a really bad idea. Definitely dont go there.

Here is another pic:

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal