Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#395202 - 16/02/06 10:43 AM Re: GET YER GEARS!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I tried to pull without mesing with tbar crossmember. But it would be very difficult if possible.

Heres my little write up...

gear install

Awesome product!!!

#395203 - 16/02/06 12:55 PM Re: GET YER GEARS!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Did you jack up the transmission from it's mount to clear the member? If not, then she's a no go.

I'm saying it's easy, but it's doable.

#395204 - 16/02/06 04:42 PM Re: GET YER GEARS!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

No it was still bolted in that picture. It was just a test. I am doing 3 more of these this month. Some with tbars some without. So I was just trying to see what it would take. I bet if I unbolted trans mount and raised trans it would clear. But I like the fact with tbar member out tcase comes straight down nice and easy.

#395205 - 20/02/06 04:18 PM Re: GET YER GEARS!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Got mine today.

They said there are only a few left, so don't wait if you want them.

#395206 - 20/02/06 06:07 PM Re: GET YER GEARS!!!
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
figures, wait until the money's gone, and tease me.

:rolleyes:

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#395207 - 22/02/06 07:03 AM Re: GET YER GEARS!!!
TJ Offline

Hey - on the T-case topic....

I had the clutch replaced by a (Shudder) shop...and they busted the T-case shifter when they dropped the tranny.

They claim it must have already been broken, and that when they dropped the tranny, "the parts fell out, that had been held in when the tranny was still up".

I called BS....they are arguing that they didn't break it....and it was broken when they got it.

mad

I need evidence to back me up when arguing with the lying sacks of shit at the shop...can ANYONE think of a way for my t-case shifter to be broken, yet allow me into and out of 4wd hi/lo etc...with NO symptoms of loosness, etc?

The way it is now, I can swing the t-case shifter in circles, it feels as though the boot is all that's connecting it on. There's none of the spring loaded up/down push action to get low range...just a loose shift lever.

Anyone?

Cyclemut started looking into it already, and he also feels that they are evil lying sacks of shit.

help?

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

#395208 - 22/02/06 10:17 AM Re: GET YER GEARS!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
can ANYONE think of a way for my t-case shifter to be broken, yet allow me into and out of 4wd hi/lo etc...with NO symptoms of loosness, etc?

The magicial transfer case ferry! Sounds ridiculous to me.

#395209 - 23/02/06 11:56 AM Re: GET YER GEARS!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
Hey - on the T-case topic....

I had the clutch replaced by a (Shudder) shop...and they busted the T-case shifter when they dropped the tranny.

They claim it must have already been broken, and that when they dropped the tranny, "the parts fell out, that had been held in when the tranny was still up".

hink of a way for my t-case shifter to be broken, yet allow me into and out of 4wd hi/lo etc...with NO symptoms of loosness, etc?

The way it is now, I can swing the t-case shifter in circles, it feels as though the boot is all that's connecting it on. There's none of the spring loaded up/down push action to get low range...just a loose shift lever.

Anyone?

Cyclemut started looking into it already, and he also feels that they are evil lying sacks of shit.

help?
Make sure the 2 12mm bolts that hold the tcase shifter to the trans are still there. It hinges on the trans (auto or manual) You would have to drop it from at east 10 feet on to concrete to bust that stuff. Also make sure the upper piece is still there.

I bet its just not connected.

Note the shifter on this dual tcase setup. See how it hinges on the trans.
http://www.marks4wd.com

This is the only pic I could find. Its a patrol dual tcase setup.

I have installed 3 sets of crawler gears in the last 10 days. But I have no pic of that shifter.

#395210 - 23/02/06 12:12 PM Re: GET YER GEARS!!!
TJ Offline

He took off 2 12 mm bolts, and one 14 mm nut...he says.

:rolleyes:

After the stuff fell on the shop floor, I think he just screwed things back in.

Is it possible to re-connect the shift lever w/o needing a new one?

laugh

#395211 - 23/02/06 03:08 PM Re: GET YER GEARS!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Correct to remove the shifter on the newer cases theres 2 bolts and 1 nut. Even if you dropped on floor and drove over it you could not damge that shifter. Its solid steel. Just make sure its bolted back on. I guess I dont understand whats broke. Theres no way to install wrong. Its so simple, Its idiot proof.

I dont think the 2 12mm bolts are re installed.

Can you take a pic of the dside of trans?

#395212 - 23/02/06 04:51 PM Re: GET YER GEARS!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Actually, look at the pic of the shifters on there. You see the little black rubber boots on the shifter handles? They hold a spring loaded deally (hard to explain) that lets the shifter handles go up and down. If that got messed up by Wonder Tech, then it would be possible to get the symptom that TJ has described.

I'd need to see the internals of the shifter lever to see if everything is still OK. I bet that's where the problem lies.

#395213 - 23/02/06 08:31 PM Re: GET YER GEARS!!!
TJ Offline

I'm running back and forth (OK, I'm driving, but in a car I borrowed...) from CT to MD all week, and looks like next week too...so I don't even have time to open the boot and snap a pic or 3, etc.

frown

I think Sat is my next window of opportunity...

Any hints as to specific points of interest from a forensic standpoint I should be sure to picture?

#395214 - 24/02/06 05:03 PM Re: GET YER GEARS!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Make sure the 2 12mm (heads) bolts are attached to trans and also the 14mm nut is connecting the tcase linkage to the shifter arm.

#395215 - 25/02/06 07:51 AM Re: GET YER GEARS!!!
TJ Offline

I think he put them back on afterwards...I think after he broke it, he tried to cover up the mistake. I was able to shine a light up through the skids at those items, and they are there...its on the inside, what they were holding, that I think he let go.

mad

I'm going to pop the boot, andlook down, ans see what I can see that way.

#395216 - 27/02/06 02:11 PM Re: GET YER GEARS!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, the tcase starts coming out tonight. Hoping to finish it all this week during evenings. AZ Run is sneaking up quickly, and the wifey wants the low gears to keep up on the trails.

#395217 - 27/02/06 03:02 PM Re: GET YER GEARS!!!
TJ Offline

Sounds good!

BTW - My t-case issue was resolved, they admitted their mistake and the tech's cover up, and fixed it...so I at least have 4wd drive again.

laugh

#395218 - 27/02/06 04:38 PM Re: GET YER GEARS!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank God! I was running out of options for junk yards! No one wanted to sell the shifter without the t-case.

What did they finally admit too? Glad you got it resolved.

#395219 - 27/02/06 05:10 PM Re: GET YER GEARS!!!
TJ Offline

The owner says he took it apart himself, and it looked to him like the tech took off the 10 mm, the pin fell out, and the rest was history.

laugh

He took full responsibility, aplogized, and said the kid was new, and screwed up, and was too afraid to admit it. He said he told him never to lie again, and to just admit screw ups while they are still fixable.

I was satisfied, I have 4wd back.

laugh

The Dual Friction unit, despite 90% more clamping power, feels just like the stock unit...not grabby, no extra leg force to work the pedal, engages/disengages smoothly.

The Guy's looking at the Calmini web site now.

laugh

#395220 - 28/02/06 10:23 AM Re: GET YER GEARS!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Got my case dropped yesteday. Cyclemut, you might say there's a way to get it out without dropping the xmember, but I sure don't see how. I dropped the Tbar xmember for the clearance to get the thing out of there.

Maybe with a body lift.....

I've dropped 3 of these now. This one was by far the worst due to the tightness of the bolts...those top ones were a beotch!

#395221 - 28/02/06 10:29 AM Re: GET YER GEARS!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yep the top bolts sucked! Had a dog leg wrench specificly made to fit up in there but due to the bolts being so tight the wrench flexxed too much to remove the bolts in the limited space. That is why I pulled the center console. Once you know how to pull the console apart I think it saves work in the long run but luckily I haven't had to do 3 installs of this little sucker.

#395222 - 28/02/06 01:31 PM Re: GET YER GEARS!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Xterra I did I had to remove the center console and both crossmmebers. I removed the transcrossmember just for access to the electrical stuff.

The exhaust gets in the way on The Xterra. Not an issue on the D21 V6s. I even removed the dust shield. Still very tight with tbars out.

#395223 - 02/03/06 01:38 PM Re: GET YER GEARS!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was able to get it out without touching anything on the interior, at the expense of some skinned up knuckles. The Tbar xmember came out, and I unbolted the tranny xmember so I could lower it a couple inches for clearance. The exhaust is a nuisance, but it can be maneuvered around that. It'll get an oil change and some fender trimming to clear the brand new MTR's sitting at my house. [ThumbsUp]

The tcase was much easier to get out on my Frontier. Same clearances, but no exhaust crossover (4 banger), and the bolts weren't torqued nearly as tight.

It goes back in tonight.

#395224 - 03/03/06 10:29 AM Re: GET YER GEARS!!!
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
Think I may have gotten the last set in stock laugh on backorder now.

Dropped my tcase last night…little easier for me because I have the SAS and less in the way. Took around 2 hrs with air tools, used an air nibbler for the top bolts and they came right out.

Think I’m going to replace the seal that goes between the tranny and tcase and not take a chance and start in on the case/gears on the weekend.

#395225 - 03/03/06 11:20 AM Re: GET YER GEARS!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thought you already had gears in your X?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal