Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#395276 - 01/04/05 07:57 PM Re: Calmini Idler Arm Bushings Failing
Biohazard Offline

Loc: Rogers AR
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
One question for those showing wear, how often are you greasing the idler arm ?

While you wait for a solution, one thing you can do is loosen the main idler arm bolt, then try to rotate one of the bronze bushings about 90 degrees. That may or may not move the wear point around a bit and tighten up the feel a bit.
Do you happen to know what socket size fits the Calmini idler arm bolt?

#395277 - 02/04/05 09:04 AM Re: Calmini Idler Arm Bushings Failing
Anonymous
Unregistered

O.K. I guess I'll chime in here. My idler was wacked from the get go. I took it apart and miked the bushings and the steel sleeve. None of these parts were completely round. One bushing measured 1.250 x 1.252 i.d. The other was 1.250 x 1.254. The sleeve I cant remember exactly, but one end of it was only 1.242. I reassembled it and oriented the parts to reduce play. This helped. I called Calmini and they sent me a new sleeve, no charge. The new sleeve is 1.252, and perfectly round. I had to just barely tap it in. I now have no play whatsoever. I have very few miles on this so no news on how long it will last.By the way, my bushings are pressed into the arm. I suggest checking your sleeve before reassembling with new bushings.

#395278 - 02/04/05 12:09 PM Re: Calmini Idler Arm Bushings Failing
Biohazard Offline

I disassembled the Calmini idler arm today and rotated the bushings 90 degrees. (Recommended by Calmini) So far, so good.

#395279 - 11/04/05 06:27 PM Re: Calmini Idler Arm Bushings Failing
Anonymous
Unregistered

how are you guys popping out the bushings without damaging them? It's a split bushing so they would have to be popped out from either end?? Do you have to pop out the center sleeve before doing the brass bushings? What tool did you use to pop out brass bushing to rotate them? Couldn't I just grip the bushing from the outer edge with big pliers and rotate them while still in the idler arm?

#395280 - 11/04/05 06:41 PM Re: Calmini Idler Arm Bushings Failing
Anonymous
Unregistered

confused After reading KCX' and Abiels posts on this page (4), on removing the bronze bushings, and how hard they were to remove I began to think about how mine slid out from the IAB without any prompting. At least the bottom bronze piece and the longer steel center piece did. I simply pulled the top brass piece out with my fingertips, no prob. [Huh?] WTF? You're saying they should require some force to install and remove? (Top, bottom, and center?)

#395281 - 11/04/05 08:50 PM Re: Calmini Idler Arm Bushings Failing
Biohazard Offline

I used a brass tap to work them out.

#395282 - 12/04/05 06:06 AM Re: Calmini Idler Arm Bushings Failing
chupasierras Offline

Loc: Monterrey, M�xico
No problem with the steel center piece.

The bushings were tight in my IA, a friend of mine uses a puller to remove bushings:

Yes, some force its needed to pull out the bushings, not that much to push them inside...

Abiel
www.abielg.com

#395283 - 12/04/05 08:28 AM Re: Calmini Idler Arm Bushings Failing
chupasierras Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Biohazard:
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
[b]One question for those showing wear, how often are you greasing the idler arm ?

While you wait for a solution, one thing you can do is loosen the main idler arm bolt, then try to rotate one of the bronze bushings about 90 degrees. That may or may not move the wear point around a bit and tighten up the feel a bit.
Do you happen to know what socket size fits the Calmini idler arm bolt?[/b]
A BIG one... J/K ...

Its 1 1/8".

Abiel
www.abielg.com

#395284 - 12/04/05 08:31 AM Re: Calmini Idler Arm Bushings Failing
chupasierras Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by RJ@NJAX:
how are you guys popping out the bushings without damaging them? It's a split bushing so they would have to be popped out from either end?? Do you have to pop out the center sleeve before doing the brass bushings? What tool did you use to pop out brass bushing to rotate them? Couldn't I just grip the bushing from the outer edge with big pliers and rotate them while still in the idler arm?
In my IA, the steel center piece comes out by itself. For bronze bushings, you have to take them out to change/rotate them. See my previous post in this page with pics of the busings...

Abiel
www.abielg.com

#395285 - 12/04/05 08:33 AM Re: Calmini Idler Arm Bushings Failing
chupasierras Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Biohazard:
I disassembled the Calmini idler arm today and rotated the bushings 90 degrees. (Recommended by Calmini) So far, so good.
I installed mine last november, rotated them december and feb-05. Now need to repalce them.

Abiel
www.abielg.com

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal