Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#395353 - 21/01/04 08:48 AM Re: Winch bumper - up on www site
Shrock Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
lincolnnellie - The board wouldn't let me email you. Freight to you would be $146.00. This assumes shipping to a business address or you picking it up at the freight terminal.

The no tube option mentioned on the site would be for no tube at all on top. We could leave the center hoop if someone wanted it that way though.

Close1 - I need your zip to do an exact quote, but it will probably be the same amount since you are both in WI.

KHAKI X - The front hooks are 3/8" plate steel. They are welded to the bumper and bolted to the frame. They will handle whatever you want to throw at them. I emailed you a shipping quote.

Jim

#395354 - 21/01/04 10:22 AM Re: Winch bumper - up on www site
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Thanks for the quick response Jim. Now I need to look for the best price, order it, put it on, then we are ready to rock!

#395355 - 21/01/04 12:41 PM Re: Winch bumper - up on www site
Mapman Offline

Loc: Crystal Lake, IL
I plan to attempt to install the new bumper this Saturday, with my Father-In-Laws help of course, seeing as he has all the tools! I will try to take as many photos as I can, but I tend to forget in the excitment of doing the work! I'll also try to remember to do some measuring to see if there is any significant drop in the front end after the new bumper is installed!

http://midwestxterraowners.com/

#395356 - 21/01/04 04:21 PM Re: Winch bumper - up on www site
Shrock Offline

Cool, If you have any questions during the install. Call me any time.

Jim

#395357 - 21/01/04 06:07 PM Re: Winch bumper - up on www site
Anonymous
Unregistered

Lets get some pics going... [ThumbsUp]

#395358 - 24/01/04 11:21 AM Re: Winch bumper - up on www site
xterran01 Offline

Loc: Houston
Here are some pics of my new Shrockworks bumper in a more, uh, appropriate environment - Big Bend National Park. A great way to spend Christmas!

click here for album

#395359 - 24/01/04 11:44 AM Re: Winch bumper - up on www site
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
The File You Are Looking For Is Inaccessible.

#395360 - 24/01/04 07:24 PM Re: Winch bumper - up on www site
xterran01 Offline

Crap! Sorry - I'll get this one of these days...Try again - I made the album open to public.

#395361 - 25/01/04 08:09 AM Re: Winch bumper - up on www site
Mapman Offline

Ok it's on, I need to get all the photos copied over to the computer and posted up on the web, I'll try and get that done by the end of the day.

-Erik

#395362 - 25/01/04 03:53 PM Re: Winch bumper - up on www site
Mapman Offline

First off, once I got the bumper installed I measured only a half inch drop in the front end, but I also have the 20% stiffer Bilsteins installed, so it could be more for someone with stock shocks?

So here is a link to the photos I promised, not as scenic as xterran1, but I live near Chicago, so salt and snow is all you get. Sorry I am not linking them straight to this site, but I am too tired to re-type everything. Also before you say anything, yes it is slightly off angle, I didn't notice it until I got home, so it'll just have to wait till later to get adjusted.
CLICK HERE

#395363 - 25/01/04 07:40 PM Re: Winch bumper - up on www site
pinoy Offline

Loc: TinleyPark, IL.
Eric,
That looks great! I just might have to add that on to my ever growing list of mods.
BTW, the shocks should have nothing to do with the ride height. That's the job of the torsion bars, shocks are for recoil, bounce. Anyway nice pics. [ThumbsUp]

#395364 - 25/01/04 07:50 PM Re: Winch bumper - up on www site
Mapman Offline

I figured I should mention it either way. A crank in the stock torsion bars might be a necessity for the short term, but better torsion bars, and a skid plate for the bumper are my next items.

Jim, when are you going to start on a skid plate that works with your bumper??? laugh

#395365 - 25/01/04 08:23 PM Re: Winch bumper - up on www site
Xtracurricular Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
Quote:
I think there are other ways to have the rear bumper extend to the side far enough to protect the corners besides becoming part of the fenders. The bumper end covers are not beautiful...obscurring, trimming, or removing them is not a crime. Mine are already trashed anyway.

I primarily would like to be able to bang the corners and or lay the beast over with corner protection to minimize overall damage.

Is that so wrong?
I saw these and thought of this post...

http://ultra.litpixel.com:90/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=6735#6735

#395366 - 26/01/04 02:47 AM Re: Winch bumper - up on www site
xterran01 Offline

I had to readjust my torsion bars after I installed my first bumper (ARB) and winch. You will really notice a front end drop when you hang a winch out there along with the bumper. Didn't have to readjust after I swapped out for the Shrockworks bumper since the weights are fairly close. I haven't noticed any problems thus far with keeping the stock bars but I've considered upgrading to the HD ones.

#395367 - 26/01/04 04:29 AM Re: Winch bumper - up on www site
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Xtracurricular -

You have a good eye.

smile

Yes, that's the kind of approach I'd like to see...functional and clean.

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#395368 - 26/01/04 05:16 PM Re: Winch bumper - up on www site
pinoy Offline

Loc: TinleyPark, IL.
I like those clevis/shackles that he has on the front bumper, they allow for recovery from all sorts of angles.

#395369 - 26/01/04 07:33 PM Re: Winch bumper - up on www site
Shrock Offline

Swivel rings are cool. They're about $120 piece though.

#395370 - 30/01/04 07:10 PM Re: Winch bumper - up on www site
Xtracurricular Offline

Expensive clevis hooks aside, Shrock, when are you going to start the plans for something with that kind of side protection and departure angle with an integrated 2" receiver? You have done such fine work so far, so I figure you are our best bet. Calmini made a good effort, but offers no side protection for the rear quarter panels. I have seen models for SUVs from trail-ready, but think they are overkill. I like the simplicity of the link the best so far. I would think a rear bumper would be far less complicated, but I have never actually made one so what do I know?

#395371 - 30/01/04 07:28 PM Re: Winch bumper - up on www site
Shrock Offline

A wrap around rear for the Xterra would be more complex. That piece of plastic it will replace is big and oddly shaped.

Tire carriers may not look like much but they are very complex from a manufacturing standpoint and have many many pieces and parts involved, some of which are fairly pricey.

I could see a wrap around rear with a tire carrier going well over $1000, but I havent looked into it enough to do anything more than guess. I am planning to though, so dont write off the possibilty yet!

PS - that Disco bumper you posted is $1525 as pictured W/O a tire carrier! eek

#395372 - 31/01/04 05:24 PM Re: Winch bumper - up on www site
Xtracurricular Offline

$1500, holy @#$%!

I have seen some succesfull attempts for jeeps with a 3 piece system. A center piece that bolts to the frame rails, and two side pieces that bolt to the ends and protect the rockers. You have the option of buying just the main, then you can upgrade as budget allows. Here is a link, but the end caps are not shown. It does have some usefull info though. Click on the "more info" under the blackfoot bumper. Note: it requires a flash plug in.

http://aev-conversions.com/ssi/osb/showitem.cfm?&Description=x?xj

I like the integrated hitch and its subsequent departure. Also, note this is for a unibody, so it should be less complex and require fewer mounting points for our vehicle. Just some neat ideas that I hope might help you when you're brainstorming for your design.

#395373 - 01/03/04 02:37 PM Re: Winch bumper - up on www site
Mapman Offline

Hey Jim I've got a quick question for you....

Over the weekend while trying to cram 3 vehicles onto my driveway, my wife and friend while spotting the gap between cars said that when I pulled into the driveway the bumper creaked or made some kind of noise when I hit the curb. I haven't heard it so I can't describe it at all! Is this normal or could it be something else they heard? My thinking is that it probably is the torsion bars, but they said it was the bumber so I figured I'd check with you....Thanks

#395374 - 01/03/04 04:56 PM Re: Winch bumper - up on www site
johnnyx Offline
J

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by EAP:
...when I pulled into the driveway the bumper creaked or made some kind of noise when I hit the curb. ... Is this normal or could it be something else they heard?...
Without being there to see it, I'm gonna guess it's not your bumper unless it's visually rubbing something, or 1/437th of an inch from the fenders somewhere.

#395375 - 01/03/04 05:20 PM Re: Winch bumper - up on www site
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyx:
I'm gonna guess it's not your bumper unless it's visually rubbing something, or 1/437th of an inch from the fenders somewhere.
My ARB has almost 3/4 inch of clearance and rubs easily when the frame gets flexed. Any bumper will rub if you flex the Xterra enough.

#395376 - 01/03/04 06:14 PM Re: Winch bumper - up on www site
johnnyx Offline
J

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Agreed, Ian. I should have said "especially" if it's yada yada small fractions of an inch away.

Yep - my back hatch won't open and close properly if I'm parked with the ass-end flexed even a little bit.

#395377 - 01/03/04 09:07 PM Re: Winch bumper - up on www site
Shrock Offline

EAP,

The bumper itself isn't be capable of making a squeaking sound. I wouldnt worry about it, especially if you cant hear it inside. As others have said, it could possible be rubbing on something, but unless they have laser hearing, it could be anything in the front end.

Jim

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal