Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#395648 - 18/05/02 06:18 AM Re: New Website Launched
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
On another note: For the love of dog, where's the roof rack on the silver X?

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#395649 - 18/05/02 08:39 AM Re: New Website Launched
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
Quote:
Originally posted by Joshua XXL:
If you read deeper into the page you can see that it is a spoof of the Calmini page. Simple as that. A competitive joke, in good jest. Not an attempt at plagiarism, nor a lack of effort on the part of the web designer.
If that is the case then it is in POOR TASTE and makes SLR look like a child. And to me it seems more like yours is a feable excuse for poor web work.

Quote:
It is merely attempting to point out that 23 years in the import truck business does not mean that you have 23 years of experience with Nissan, or that these 23 years mean that they build a better Nissan part. It has taken SLR over 30 years and two generations of drivers to pinpoint design flaws, weak links, and other developmental shortcomings in the Nissan suspension system. How does somebeody match this level of refinemnt in 6 months?
And you know all about Steve and Calmini how?

Quote:
SLR simply felt that Calmini made some very bold statements, and decided to poke a little fun at it.
Now that takes the cake.. Pardon me while I pick myself up off the floor from laughing so hard. Did you miss the incredibly bold statements that SLR made about their tie rod center links and their new steering? Hello?! Ring Ring..Clue phone.. it's for you!

Here are a few examples to refresh your memory.
"Do not settle for imitations. This is the first and the only properly engineered Nissan steering system."

"Your Xterra will fall apart before my steering system will."

And I remember SLR saying that their "insert product here" will be the last one you will ever have to buy.

Now I have never seen that type of arrogance or flamboyant statement posted on Calmini's site.

Quote:
Obviously this was a mistake, as there is a serious lack of humor and reading comprehension sometimes around here. People want to quickly post a reply without taking the time to fully review and understand the content of what they are trying to post about.
Mistake by SLR's part? Most definatly. And I don't think that humor or reading comprehension have anything to do with this.

BTW.. Never say your product is bullet proof... you never know how big of a gun someone is using.

#395650 - 18/05/02 09:30 AM Re: New Website Launched
UTJMAC Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
Didn't prices go up too? i was about to buy, but prices just jumped....at least on shocks. Haven't looked over the whole site yet. I think the site is a nice improvement over the last version. Get it tweaked a bit and its great!
John

#395651 - 18/05/02 10:29 AM Re: New Website Launched
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
Some of you guys have an interesting sence of priorities.

Sure their tongue and cheek poke at Calmini came came off bad and I'm sure between Calmini and SLR that will get rectified. As far as being web designers , are the AC or Calmini sites REALLY that impressive in comparison ?

SLR has:

Detailed and specific desriptions of the parts , the functions and purposes and price.

Plenty of photos showing their trucks in action.

*Most importantly* Probably 5 (or more) times more parts and accessories avaliable for the X than any other manufacturer.

What more do you need ?

#395652 - 18/05/02 11:55 AM Re: New Website Launched
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
Quote:
Originally posted by socalpunX:

Sure their tongue and cheek poke at Calmini came came off bad and I'm sure between Calmini and SLR that will get rectified. As far as being web designers , are the AC or Calmini sites REALLY that impressive in comparison ?
AC's site is just as bad. And because it took them a year to make this new site then yes.. they deserve all the crap they are taking right now.

If you read the opening statement by SLR in this thread it says nothing about the new site being a "Joke" (although it is). This "tongue and cheek poke at Calmini" was thought up by the crash test dummy.

#395653 - 19/05/02 07:59 AM Re: New Website Launched
SWXterraClub Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DesertRAT:
CM, why do you say AC's site is just as bad? Where do they mimic anyone else's site, whether it be in good humor or outright plagarism? Just curious.
I guess I should be more specific.. Remember their when their site was just one long page with a bunch of text links? That just SCREAMED of rip off - fly by night web site.

I will agree that the new site that they have up now is better than the current SLR page. :-)

#395654 - 19/05/02 11:11 AM Re: New Website Launched
Dayspring Offline

Loc: Greenwood IN
The reason behind the graphics error on the site on resolutions over 800x600 is because they are using a full 800x600 image as their backdrop. On the bigger resolution monitors, it begins to tile itself (repeat). The solution to this is to have the banner at the top be a seperate image and have the backdrop be something else. (use a frame if you need to do the graphic underneath the navigation links on the left hand side)

Simple fixes. As for whatever statement they're all talking about. I don't care. Nice site, good content. Just a design error. That's all. Gladd I could help smile

#395655 - 19/05/02 11:32 AM Re: New Website Launched
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by Dayspring:
The reason behind the graphics error on the site on resolutions over 800x600 is because they are using a full 800x600 image as their backdrop. On the bigger resolution monitors, it begins to tile itself (repeat).
Actually it's caused by the frameset being defined wrong and tables being justified to the width of the browser instead of being absolute.

Some pages define the frameset as...
frameset rows="153,356"...
That means the top frame (the banner image and menu) is 153 pixels tall and the lower frame is 356 pixles tall. That doesn't work except on the machine the site was developed on due to different toolbar and font height settings of browsers. The top frame needs to be absolute, but the botton frame needs to be self adjusting.
The products page is almost defined correctly frameset rows="137,372*"..., but should be just frameset rows="137,*"

All of the pages break because the artwork is left justified on the page, but all content is displayed in a 90% wide tables which float and move based on the browser width.

#395656 - 19/05/02 07:50 PM Re: New Website Launched
SEXterra Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
Quote:
Originally posted by socalpunX:
Some of you guys have an interesting sence of priorities.

SLR has:

Detailed and specific desriptions of the parts , the functions and purposes and price.

Plenty of photos showing their trucks in action.

*Most importantly* Probably 5 (or more) times more parts and accessories avaliable for the X than any other manufacturer.

What more do you need ?
I like this guy...

All of this is too funny.

I don't care who ripped off who's mission statement or who has a poor sense of humor.

My decision is made by who makes the best parts and takes care of thier customers.

#395657 - 21/05/02 10:46 PM Re: New Website Launched
Origami Gangsta Offline

Loc: Dammit! Even CLOSER to Smith a...
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Peckham:
Shoulda had me design it....

NEXTERRA Website

Will work 4 parts.
Hehehehehe... Nice site, seriously..

Wonder if it's just a coincidence that Matt's truck is the photo of the month? laugh

#395658 - 22/05/02 08:35 AM Re: New Website Launched
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by SEXterra:
My decision is made by who makes the best parts and takes care of thier customers.
Well said, brudda! smile

While the Website is inconsequential when it comes time for the parts... I do like them to study the parts I'm interested in, see how they fit and look, etc. But it won't make or break a sale if I'm after a part.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal