2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#397128 - 08/08/02 06:23 AM SLR Steering
RedX Offline

Loc: Granite Falls, NC
Spence...

You had mentioned a couple of weeks ago about re-positioning your new steering setup's price point. I was curious as to where that stood. I am trying to decide what direction I want to go with my steering system, and having all information, as I am sure you are aware, is crucial.

I am sure that deciding upon a price more X owners are comfortable with, is of paramount interest to many on this board. That is why I am posing this question here, versus via e-mail.

I am already aware of the quality build characteristics of the system, as I am sure many here are as well. I feel that quality is of no concern regarding you, or other unmentioned aftermarket Nissan developers. This is not intended to instigate a "who is better" discussion. It is simply intended to ask you where you stood on re-structuring your price point on your system, so that I, and others, may make an educated decision as to what avenues we decide to pursue.

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide at this time.

http://www.metzgardesign.com

#397129 - 16/08/02 01:32 PM Re: SLR Steering
RedX Offline

Thank you for the info. Seems like the package adds a good amount on.

If you happen to know, how do the core returns play into it? Same as before?

#397130 - 16/08/02 03:13 PM Re: SLR Steering
stormy Offline

Loc: NH
I tought he said that almost every core return was bent or something like that... That's why he's adjusting the price. Guess he was trying to re-coop cost somehow.

#397131 - 16/08/02 05:08 PM Re: SLR Steering
RedX Offline

Hmmmm....well, I do wish SLR could be a bit more forthcoming about this stuff. I realize they're busy, and I respect that. But, it would be good to express things to customers. I am prepared to spend a goodly amount of money with someone to obtain a setup that is reliable. Maybe it's not enough to earn SLR's respect though. Oh well.

I will place an order for Calmini's setup. I am, sure, even though it has not been given a formal public review, that the setup is of comparable quality to SLR's. But even to that end, I may have to wait an indefinite period, if the shipments of bumpers and other products are any indication.

It is a shame though that we in the Xterra community tolerate customer service that would be a laughing matter in other business sectors. I guess it's the price we pay for choosing to be enthused by a vehicle that has such a weak aftermarket support system.

:rolleyes:

#397132 - 20/08/02 03:32 PM Re: SLR Steering
Spencer Low Racing Offline

Loc: Parker
Brad,

I apologize..I have not been on the boards lately. It sounds like I am a little late! :rolleyes:

I have worked on a new price structure that includes the tie rod adjusters, idler arm brace (with or without tow hook), and bronze idler arm bushings. The idler arm mount is optional, but recommended. With proper bracing the OEM mount should work fine for budget-minded customers.

Steering System Pricing

$849.00 with SLR designed idler arm shaft, with perfect cores
$699.00 with new tie rod adjusters and SLR idler arm brace (with or without tow hook), with perfect cores
$644.00 without SLR idler arm brace, with perfect cores
$624.00 without SLR tie rod adjusters, with perfect cores
$569.00 without SLR idler arm brace and SLR tie rod adjusters, with perfect cores

I do have respect for all of my customers and apologize because I cannot answer Manufacturers Row questions consistently, but as previously stated, we have SEMA, GOX, Off Road Expo, and magazine photo shoots to prepare for, as well as our 2003 racing season. I am very good at returning phone calls. Please do not be afraid to call if you have any questions at 928-667-4757.

Thank you for your interest in SLR

>>SLR

#397133 - 20/08/02 03:56 PM Re: SLR Steering
RedX Offline

Spence:

I appreciate your response. The day I wrote that was particularly bad. So anyhoo....I am sure you are busy. I respect your work on the Nissan aftermarket.

I am sure that your revised pricing will be of tremendous interest to those on the board looking for a replacement system. Hell....if Calmini has a protracted delay, I may cancel my order an go with you. Like I said, I've seen your system on Kennedy's X and was amazed by it. I'd love to climb around on some rocks with it. Oh well.

Thanks again for your response. Please keep up the great work in all that you do. The aftermarket needs dedicated folks like you. I'm sure I'll end up with some SLR on my X somewhere. At the rate that I'm modifying things, it won't be very long.

#397134 - 20/08/02 08:01 PM Re: SLR Steering
RedX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DesertRAT:
The SLR setup has taken the abuse I've thrown at it thus far. And that's after running 32" Swampers in the rocks in Arizona and California.

Next time you're on a bumpy road, stick your head out the window and watch your front wheels flop with the factory setup. Now imagine that eliminated for good.

Watch a Nissan on a throttled assault on an impossibly steep hill and see the tires toe in due to the weak factory CL. Now imagine that same hill with front wheels tracking true and straight.

Shit, I ought to be in advertising. LOL
I am perfectly aware of how good the SLR setup is. I also don't need to imagine the scenario you have just described. I've had it shown to me in brilliant video clarity. I watched my POS stock setup flopping around like a fish out of water on hillclimbs.

That being said, I am very aware of how stout SLR's setup is. If I could have swung the price, I'd already have it in place. I can't. I am also certain that, seeing what I've seen, Calmini's setup will be equally suitable. I in no uncertain terms want to pit one manufacturer against another. I just want the best product that I can afford to be on my truck. Sure, I'd love to have some review related to Calmini's setup to go by, but I don't.

So, I think a statement as to SLR's build quality is not necessary. Anyone who has been paying attention to the development of these various setups is aware of each's divulged pros and cons.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal