Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#397150 - 31/08/03 01:38 PM What should I do?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a 2002 Xterra that has a major recurring electrical problem w/ the stereo. I have had to bring it in to the dealership over 6 times this year so far (it is currently in the service department as we speak).

My question is, this is obviously a major headache for me and the service department. I am only 7 days short of having had my truck "out of service" for 28 days this year and am wondering what I should do from this point forward?

I would either like to: a) get another truck (same make/model) w/ functional stereo or b) get the problem fixed and never have to return it in again for this exact same problem.

I bought the truck from this dealership, so should they be willing to work w/ me to finally resolve this problem? I don't want them to replace the amplifier (AGAIN) and me return it for the 7th time for the same problem.

I would love any input on what I should/could do?

Jerry

#397151 - 31/08/03 09:38 PM Re: What should I do?
BIBXTERRA Offline

If you've replaced the amplifier 7(????) times, I doubt it's the amplifier. What exactly is the problem??

Thanks,

#397152 - 01/09/03 07:36 AM Re: What should I do?
Anonymous
Unregistered

A little background:

I have actually brought my X in 8 times (currently in being repaired now).

There is a gnarly short somewhere in the car that causes my stereo to short out and amp to blow. The fix has always been replacing a couple of fuses and ordering a new amp.

The problem is not being identified, only temporarily fixed by replacing blown parts.

I need to try to speak w/ dealer about getting another comparable X, but i am not sure of the approach I should use or their willingness to help me out in this way (or the incentive they need to replace my X)?

Jerry

#397153 - 01/09/03 08:14 AM Re: What should I do?
gmaxis Offline

Loc: America's Finest city
I'm not sure if your truck's problem falls under the 'Lemon' category. If it is then the Lemon law should apply.
I hope you'll find a solution and resolution to your predicament.

#397154 - 01/09/03 12:45 PM Re: What should I do?
BIBXTERRA Offline

If I were you I'd ask the Dealership to identify where the short is and fix it, not just replace the blown parts. And do it before warranty wears out. Also tell Nissan that you'll invoke "the lemon law" legislation applicable in your state. That'll light a fire under their ass and they'll most likely want to fix it.

Good Luck,

#397155 - 01/09/03 01:48 PM Re: What should I do?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree, but can I (as the customer) invoke the "Lemon Law" or is that done formally through a lawyer?

I have researched Lemon Law applicable in my state (IL) and am strongly considering this, but don't know protocol for claiming my X is a "lemon".

TY for input!

#397156 - 02/09/03 05:16 AM Re: What should I do?
austinbrtndr Offline

Loc: ATX
Illinois lemon laws Hopefully this will shed a little light on the subject... specifically: If after a reasonable number of attempts the seller is unable to conform the new vehicle to any of its applicable express warranties, the manufacturer shall either provide the consumer with a new vehicle of like model line, if available, or otherwise a comparable motor vehicle as a replacement, or accept the return of the vehicle from the consumer and refund to the consumer the full purchase price or lease cost of the new vehicle, including all collateral charges, less a reasonable allowance for consumer use of the vehicle.

West Ham UFC -- Come On You Irons!!!

www.myspace.com/kraigslist

Kraig

#397157 - 26/11/03 01:12 PM Re: What should I do?
Xterra Kid 2003 Offline

Loc: Bozeman MT, originally Detroit...
If you havent already maybe you can get money from the dealer or insurance??? to get an aftermarket system if not its always a step up in performance with an aftermarket system and can be had relitivly cheap.

#397158 - 26/11/03 01:29 PM Re: What should I do?
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Xterra Kid 2003:
If you havent already maybe you can get money from the dealer or insurance??? to get an aftermarket system if not its always a step up in performance with an aftermarket system and can be had relitivly cheap.
Given the circumstances, I'd say going aftermarket is a BAD idea...
1) Because he said that the problem doesn't appear to be with the stereo - it's something else that's causing the stereo to blow - and it would probably blow his new system too.
2) Because if there are aftermarket parts involved (the next time it breaks), they can claim that the aftermarket parts were somehow responsible for the problem - and they certainly wouldn't replace them under warranty.

I'd say stay stock - and it's time to talk to get tough with the manager... if you've taken it in 8 times for the same problem - it's time for them to start kissing your azz.

#397159 - 26/11/03 03:08 PM Re: What should I do?
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I have to agree with Kaiser on this.

Do NOT mess with anything yourself. IMO. the dealer needs to find the short, even if it means removing the dash and completely replacing the wiring harness that supports the audio system. If after that there is still a short and a problem then they need to either buy back the truck or replace it. Even if it is fixed, I would try and get them to give you an extended warranty or some other sort of compensation. If they fail to fix and won't refund or exchange then talk to an attorney about the lemon law. In many cases, one or two calls from an attorney (a good one!) to the dealer and/or Nissan will light a fire under their asses and it won't take too long to get a resolution.

Also, if you haven't already done so, you can try calling Nissan COnsumer Affairs and see if they will help you out at all. They are notorious for not being very helpful, but in some cases they have...it probably depends a lot on who you talk to.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal