2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 110 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#398737 - 18/01/06 09:20 PM Elephant Hill over nighter
fastdrmr Offline

Loc: SLC, UT
A couple of months ago I reported on Elephant Hill that is scheduled to be run on Thursday. Even though the goneMoab website claims that it is a 4, I think it has been maintained to the point that it is a 3.5

Anyways, the reason for this post is that an alternate in running the trail in one day (which includes the side trip to the confluence) is to consider staying Thursday night at Devil's Kitchen. This is my favorite camping spot in Moab and is located 2 miles from an amazing sun rise. Staying the night will also give us time to go down SOB hill and over to the Joint Trail, which ends at Chestler Park (the infamous Needles are at Chestler Park.)

If we are hoping to stay the night at Devil's Kitchen we need to start making reservations soon. I have no problem making the reservations ($30 per reservation with 3 vehicles allowed per spot and 10 people max) but need to know how many people are interested in staying the night. http://www.nps.gov/cany/reserve.htm

There will be certain events missed in Moab on Thursday night but we will be back in Moab by the Friday night video/pix slide show.

As mentioned before, dogs are not allowed in the park.

Carlton/Doug... let me know your thoughts on this. Hope we can be helpful in this part of gone.

Robert

#398738 - 19/01/06 07:23 PM Re: Elephant Hill over nighter
DesertHB Offline

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
I have no problem with this if folks want to do this. It's a great idea for those that have done the Seven mile Rim and Wipeout hill a few times. The only thing for folks to consider is that there may be a highly modifed run (SAS or crazy folks with highly modded IFS who like body damage and broken parts)on Friday.

-Doug

#398739 - 19/01/06 08:14 PM Re: Elephant Hill over nighter
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah the Dog thing puts me out but it sounds like it could be a BLAST!!

#398740 - 22/01/06 11:29 PM Re: Elephant Hill over nighter
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I'm a Moab newbie, so I want to do it all. But I will have my dog with me, so if he can't go, I can't go. Does this mean dogs aren't allowed in this gathering at all or just on Elephant Hill? I'm going to be very disappointed if it is the whole Gathering.

#398741 - 23/01/06 05:00 AM Re: Elephant Hill over nighter
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just in the national park back country, which Elephant Hill is in. There are always plenty of dogs at gone. Just keep it under controll.

#398742 - 23/01/06 05:20 AM Re: Elephant Hill over nighter
Steel_City_X Offline

Loc: Pueblo, CO
Robert,

Send me a little more information. I may still plan on attending, but have not made up my mind. I may come out and play things really simple. I have not been to this area for years. Hiked in the area into some slot canyons. It was extremely hot that day. somewhere we saw a thermostat listing 110 area and thought that it was much hotter on the trail.

Todd
First Xterra IFS or SAS up Moab Rim...#2 up Mt. Blanca.
African Adventure pictures....
http://homepage.mac.com/ahlenius/

#398743 - 23/01/06 05:33 AM Re: Elephant Hill over nighter
DesertHB Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Thanatoz:
Well I'm a Moab newbie, so I want to do it all. But I will have my dog with me, so if he can't go, I can't go. Does this mean dogs aren't allowed in this gathering at all or just on Elephant Hill? I'm going to be very disappointed if it is the whole Gathering.
Having dogs along are not a problem. Just make sure you keep them on a leash. There were a few times folks had them off leash and trucks driving around. We don't want a dog to be hit nor do we want someone getting in a bad situation trying to avoid hitting one of the dogs.

-Doug

#398744 - 23/01/06 09:22 AM Re: Elephant Hill over nighter
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
Yeah, two days makes more sense to me also. Kind of far to make the journey, run the trail, and then head all the way back to Moab in the same day/night in time for the 7pm raffle/beer bash. Would be rushed with little/no time to explore some of the cool stuff mentioned near-by.

My suggestion is to move the Elephant Hill/Canyonlands run to Sunday 5/21 - Monday 5/22 this way we can still make it back in time for the repair clinic, not rush so much, and see/do more. Also this will break up the back to back Fins and Hells slick rock terrain which are similar anyway if on a different scale.

For the Thursday slot I suggest we run Gold Bar Rim as a group with a option to continue on to parts of Golden Spike for the more modified rigs before heading back down the same way we came. This option should get us back into town at a reasonable daylight hour.

Brian

#398745 - 23/01/06 05:32 PM Re: Elephant Hill over nighter
DesertHB Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Xtoolbox:
Yeah, two days makes more sense to me also. Kind of far to make the journey, run the trail, and then head all the way back to Moab in the same day/night in time for the 7pm raffle/beer bash. Would be rushed with little/no time to explore some of the cool stuff mentioned near-by.

My suggestion is to move the Elephant Hill/Canyonlands run to Sunday 5/21 - Monday 5/22 this way we can still make it back in time for the repair clinic, not rush so much, and see/do more. Also this will break up the back to back Fins and Hells slick rock terrain which are similar anyway if on a different scale.

For the Thursday slot I suggest we run Gold Bar Rim as a group with a option to continue on to parts of Golden Spike for the more modified rigs before heading back down the same way we came. This option should get us back into town at a reasonable daylight hour.

Brian
Brian,

I think we are going to leave the schedule as is. If folks want to stay over night in the Elephant Hill area than fine, but it will not be in the offical event program.
I know you really want to do Gold Spike/Gold Bar Rim. If you and a group of folks want to do this trail than fine, do it instead of Fins. I'll even include the maps from last year, but again it will not be on the offical schedule. I think we can visit this trail for next year, but I have already started putting together the guide book for this year and we should stay with what we have.
I am still waiting to hear if you want to put together an advanced run for the SAS folks. Let me know if you are going to lead this and what trail.

Thanks,

Doug

#398746 - 23/01/06 08:31 PM Re: Elephant Hill over nighter
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
Works for me, I appreciate the effort you’re putting in. [ThumbsUp]

For the 1st timers I would spend the extra day in the Canyonlands area exploring.

However, last time I ran Elephant it took ~ 5 hours on the trail including a stop at the overlook spur, lunch break, etc so including the ~ 75 miles each way on the pavement it should be a no more than ~ 8 hours roundtrip. Seeing how’s its one of my favorites I’ll make the run even for a day trip.

Fri 5/26 Pritchett Canyon met at the Mc’Donalds on Main Street at 9am.

Keep it unofficial but maybe with a reference, maps and strong recommendation for SAS’s or IFS rigs with rear lockers & winches.

Thanks
Brian

#398747 - 29/01/06 10:02 AM Re: Elephant Hill over nighter
Steel_City_X Offline

Loc: Pueblo, CO
Robert,

I think I might be real interested in the overnight. Not too sure what I would miss in terms of the other trail.

Todd
First Xterra IFS or SAS up Moab Rim...#2 up Mt. Blanca.
African Adventure pictures....
http://homepage.mac.com/ahlenius/

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal