Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#405104 - 01/07/03 09:57 AM Installing a cat back exhaust
Solar Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
I have recently purchased a cat back exhaust and was wondering from the people who have installed them if there are any hints, do's, don't's I should know before I begin.
I puposely did not include the brand so as not to turn this question into which exhaust is better than the other (covered too many times).
I've had my truck for just over a year and around 13K miles (if that makes a difference).
Thanks

#405105 - 01/07/03 08:15 PM Re: Installing a cat back exhaust
Paco Pico Offline

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Do - use penetrating oil (wd-40 will work too) on all of the nuts/bolts before attempting to loosen, ideally giving time for penetration of said oil.

Don't - just use a impact wrench, or a breaker bar (or excessive force) instead of using the oil, you may end up breaking something.

Do - Take your time, it isn't a race laugh

Happy wrenching...

#405106 - 09/07/03 10:08 AM Re: Installing a cat back exhaust
Solar Offline

Come on guys
I am sure plenty of you have done this.
Is it better to raise the left side from the frame as to drop the rear differential (or is it not necessary ?)
Will the trainler hitch cause any problems ?
Any and all hints will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks [Wave]

#405107 - 09/07/03 10:34 AM Re: Installing a cat back exhaust
Close1 Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
with you truck being a 2002, the bolts should come out pretty darn easy. But I have to agree, use some penatrating oil, and let it soak.

Once you have your hangers off and the bolts out, you are ready to slide in the new catback. You shouldn't need to do anything with the diff. I slid my stillen exhaust in both from the back end of the truck and from underneath with no problems. I suppose you could jack up the frame to get extra clearence, but i didn't see any reason to do so.

Happy install, what cat back system did you get?

#405108 - 10/07/03 09:43 AM Re: Installing a cat back exhaust
Solar Offline

I ordered the Gibson SS system.
[Wave]

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal