Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#405526 - 10/02/03 06:37 PM Re: SLR Headers out...pretty cool
perna Offline

The problem really isnt that they are stuck that bad, its just sooooo hard to get to everything because of how tight it is. The cheap impact wrench I got will not break anything, trust me I can about hold the socket back with my hand, but it might be just what I need. It only cost $19.99 and is 12v, the little jolt it gives might be just enough to break the nuts. I did use wd-40, I probably should have used something a bit better though.

#405527 - 10/02/03 07:34 PM Re: SLR Headers out...pretty cool
Toy4x4Guy Offline

Loc: TN
Quote:
Originally posted by perna:
The problem really isnt that they are stuck that bad, its just sooooo hard to get to everything because of how tight it is. The cheap impact wrench I got will not break anything, trust me I can about hold the socket back with my hand, but it might be just what I need. It only cost $19.99 and is 12v, the little jolt it gives might be just enough to break the nuts. I did use wd-40, I probably should have used something a bit better though.
Glad to hear you took the plunge on these. Like I've said before, the price is excellent.

I hope you intend on doing a dyno test. That would be very helpful in determining where the power and torque are added for these.

Keep us posted.

#405528 - 10/02/03 08:38 PM Re: SLR Headers out...pretty cool
perna Offline

Well I want to dyno it, but really dont know where to get it done around here (savannah, ga). I do have a dual exhaust on my truck already so couldnt really tell what only the headers give, the duals should give 13hp, they were dynoed on the 2wd S/C.

#405529 - 11/02/03 09:59 AM Re: SLR Headers out...pretty cool
Craigs_Tonka Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by Toy4x4Guy:
I hope you intend on doing a dyno test. That would be very helpful in determining where the power and torque are added for these.
Why? It would be pretty much worthless, unless he did baseline measurements prior to installing the headers. He doesn't have a stock truck. Even thought he has estimates on HP increase for his dual exhaust, hp still varies truck to truck so a baseline measurement is crucial.

#405530 - 11/02/03 03:21 PM Re: SLR Headers out...pretty cool
Toy4x4Guy Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Craigs_Tonka:
Quote:
[b]I hope you intend on doing a dyno test. That would be very helpful in determining where the power and torque are added for these.
Why? It would be pretty much worthless, unless he did baseline measurements prior to installing the headers. He doesn't have a stock truck. Even thought he has estimates on HP increase for his dual exhaust, hp still varies truck to truck so a baseline measurement is crucial.[/b]
Dyno runs are never worthless. This will give a VERY good idea what power to expect. The exhaust will help some, yes, but the headers will make a much larger difference.

I'm not gonna argue with you about it. I agree baselines would be nice, but I've not found a single person on this board willing to truely test a product. I'd be happy to just see a dyno graph with his setup. I know enough about exhaust to extrapolate about what the headers add.

I see too many people buy things here without any type of testing. That's just nuts. We tested everything on the Tacoma board.

#405531 - 11/02/03 03:25 PM Re: SLR Headers out...pretty cool
Toy4x4Guy Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by perna:
Well I want to dyno it, but really dont know where to get it done around here (savannah, ga). I do have a dual exhaust on my truck already so couldnt really tell what only the headers give, the duals should give 13hp, they were dynoed on the 2wd S/C.
What type of dual exhaust setup do you have? Is it a single in dual out muffler or a full dual system from the cats back? Got any pics? I've thought about adding dual exhaust to mine as well.

13HP is a little on the high side I'd think. I'd say dual exhaust will add more like 5-6HP.

#405532 - 26/04/03 06:14 PM Re: SLR Headers out...pretty cool
UrbanJungleXTerra Offline

Loc: NYC
Hello All,

So anyone else purchased and installed the SLR headers or any others on their Xterras?
Anyone have aditional info?

Thanks,
Will

#405533 - 26/04/03 09:30 PM Re: SLR Headers out...pretty cool
XTario Offline

Loc: Canada,QC
Quote:
Originally posted by Strom:
I am pretty sure that 15hp is what is estimated to be at the flywheel/engine...but I could be wrong.
I didnt read every page but I guess those aren't for the 2002 are they?

You guys just better be careful with those HP claims.
I modified my 5.0 1992 Mustang GT (full exhaust and many goodies) and if I were to have every HP claim for every mod I had - I would be pushing 500HP+ on a stock motor. Wish I was but I'm not.
Mustang 5.0 has BBK headers, Full cat back exhaust buy Bassani, Cobra Intake, BBK Cold Air, and March Pullies...I'm pushing 244HP. Stock is 225HP.. All this gave me 19HP. So be weary.

Sorry to say, but Headers give a better air flow..they DO NOT increase HP at the claims of what most manufacturers say they do. I doubt you'd get full 15HP.
For 400.00+ bucks..I would definietly wait for a dyno sheet.
But 35HP would be GREAT! smile

#405534 - 28/04/03 01:56 PM Re: SLR Headers out...pretty cool
coolerman Offline

Loc: Paint Lick, KY USA
So did you get them installed? Inquiring minds want to know! It may be another 4 months before I come back here laugh
2013 Altima SV
1971 Toyota Land Cruiser

#405535 - 29/04/03 08:16 AM Re: SLR Headers out...pretty cool
02sc Offline

Loc: up yours
Quote:
I see too many people buy things here without any type of testing. That's just nuts. We tested everything on the Tacoma board.
Then go back to the Toyota Board! [Finger]

#405536 - 29/04/03 08:25 AM Re: SLR Headers out...pretty cool
rx7xterra Offline

Loc: Omaha, NE
Quote:
Originally posted by XTario:
Quote:
Originally posted by Strom:
[b]I am pretty sure that 15hp is what is estimated to be at the flywheel/engine...but I could be wrong.
I didnt read every page but I guess those aren't for the 2002 are they?

You guys just better be careful with those HP claims.
I modified my 5.0 1992 Mustang GT (full exhaust and many goodies) and if I were to have every HP claim for every mod I had - I would be pushing 500HP+ on a stock motor. Wish I was but I'm not.
Mustang 5.0 has BBK headers, Full cat back exhaust buy Bassani, Cobra Intake, BBK Cold Air, and March Pullies...I'm pushing 244HP. Stock is 225HP.. All this gave me 19HP. So be weary.

Sorry to say, but Headers give a better air flow..they DO NOT increase HP at the claims of what most manufacturers say they do. I doubt you'd get full 15HP.
For 400.00+ bucks..I would definietly wait for a dyno sheet.
But 35HP would be GREAT! smile [/b]
You have to realize that these claims are not necessarily "Peak HP" gains. You may have increased lower RPM HP by quite a bit with one change and higher RPM HP with other changes. Not everything adds on to your stock 225 HP at XXXX RPM's. Base line Dyno testing is the only way to see what you really gained.

#405537 - 29/04/03 05:36 PM Re: SLR Headers out...pretty cool
03SYXPilot Offline

Loc: DE
Quote:
Dyno runs are never worthless. This will give a VERY good idea what power to expect. The exhaust will help some, yes, but the headers will make a much larger difference.

I'm not gonna argue with you about it. I agree baselines would be nice, but I've not found a single person on this board willing to truely test a product. I'd be happy to just see a dyno graph with his setup. I know enough about exhaust to extrapolate about what the headers add.

Look for a baseline of the '03 SC X, followed up with a dyno test adding the K&N aircharger, then followed up with a dyno of added custom dual exhaust setup. Maybe some headers will follow, just haven't seen the quality from SLR to purchase.

Now proud owner of a '05 Mazda 3 HB!!

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal