Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#405565 - 04/04/03 06:25 PM Engine Stutter
03SYXPilot Offline

Loc: DE
Only 2200 miles and it seems that my engine is losing power up to about 3000 rpms, then all of a sudden surges into power. Feels like VTEC kicking in. It usually does it while I'm gingerly adding pedal pressure. If I stomp on it from a full stop, it runs fine. It really seems that this engine, even with the 93 octane (SC), is really rough and not running like a new engine should. I know if I take it to the dealer they'll say it's running fine and no codes. Does the engine automatically retard ignition timing or something? Could there be something wrong with my engine?

Now proud owner of a '05 Mazda 3 HB!!

#405566 - 04/04/03 08:11 PM Re: Engine Stutter
Strom Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
What mods have you done? Any beside the boost gauge?

#405567 - 06/04/03 05:27 PM Re: Engine Stutter
03SYXPilot Offline

Bone stock. I posted below about the lackluster exhaust plumbing...IT SUCKS! I think with an intake (which I plan to further mod into a ram air), headers and better exhaust diameter, that studder will go away.

#405568 - 15/04/03 07:21 PM Re: Engine Stutter
wordtothis Offline

Loc: atlanta
just a little tid bit, as i understand, the VTEC kicking in, as you put it is not something that you can really "Feel." my girlfriend's civic with VTEC doesn't ever KICK in, the cam shifts at about 6200 or so, and you can barely feel it, really helps to hit the fuel cut-off, but the engine is so torquey anyway, VTECing someone isn't really needed. sorry, i just don't think that most know that Variable Valve Timing Electric Control isn't something that is some kind of secret weapon that only honda has, ol' nissan has it too. toyota with their vvti, anyway, i think i know stuff, i may not, but VTEC isn't all it's cracked up to be in my opinion, Nissan is better and that's all we need to know.
peace.
david

#405569 - 16/04/03 05:13 AM Re: Engine Stutter
03SYXPilot Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by wordtothis:
just a little tid bit, as i understand, the VTEC kicking in, as you put it is not something that you can really "Feel." my girlfriend's civic with VTEC doesn't ever KICK in, the cam shifts at about 6200 or so, and you can barely feel it, really helps to hit the fuel cut-off, but the engine is so torquey anyway, VTECing someone isn't really needed. sorry, i just don't think that most know that Variable Valve Timing Electric Control isn't something that is some kind of secret weapon that only honda has, ol' nissan has it too. toyota with their vvti, anyway, i think i know stuff, i may not, but VTEC isn't all it's cracked up to be in my opinion, Nissan is better and that's all we need to know.
peace.
david
Edit: woops, hit the post button by error...

Anyway...I had a 2000 Si that I always felt the VTEC cam kicking in. That is the only way I can describe the change in power on my X. No Civic has VTEC that kicks in at 6200 rpms. 96-00 EX models kick in at ~4700 and the '99-'01 Si's were ~5200. The new '01 and above are also lower VTEC points due to the lower rev limit.
Nissan, in my opinion, is NOT better than Honda- Honda just didn't make an SUV big enough for me and my bikes. Proof: I have a 3.3 liter V6 making 210 flywheel horsepower with a blower. With the (at least) 25% loss in drivetrain, thats a mere 150 wheel horsepower. I was making anywhere between 152-155 wheel horsepower with a 1.6 litre 4 cyl. in my NATURALLY ASPIRATED Honda Si. When Nissan gets the X up to a respectible 275 horsepower...then talk to me about who is better.

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal