Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#405876 - 18/04/03 09:24 AM Ticking sound
Solar Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
I have a question for those of you with K&N or Air Raid.
There is a small black box (1"x3")that sits under the hood right between where the air box sits and the ABS module. There are a couple of vacuum lines going to the manifold from it and maybe a wire or two.
Well anyway, when I have my K&N installed this little box starts ticking when ever I rev the engine (not at ideal). I recently installed the old air box (state inspection time !) and there is no ticking sound at any RPM.
Can you guys/gals with K&N's and stuff see if your X does the same ? Also if someone can fill me in on what this is and what it does, that would be great.
Thanks

#405877 - 06/05/03 09:20 AM Re: Ticking sound
Solar Offline

Come on guys, someone out there must know what I am talking about.
Help me out here please.
Thanks
[Freak]

#405878 - 08/05/03 03:23 AM Re: Ticking sound
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
I haven't got access to my Xterra to make sure but I think you're looking at the Evaporation Canister Purge Volume Control Solenoid Valve.

Its the top solenoid mounted on that metal bracket above one of the Air Box Resonating Chambers.

The purpose of the Valve is that depending upon the air flow into the engine (Vacume) that valve opnes and sucks gas vapors out of the evap canister at the back of the Xterra.

If it's clicking loudly then it may have a bad valve on it and you might want to replace it. But it may be you just never noticed it before, the ECM controls when it opens and closes and also controls how much it opens to maintain optimum operation. So clicking on and off is what it's supposed to do.

It's not an item thats really important to engine operation, just emissions. But I don't think it will affect emissions too much. So you can take your time getting it fixed.

Hope this helps.

Xterra101.com

#405879 - 08/05/03 07:59 AM Re: Ticking sound
oface Offline

Loc: New Orleans
I've got the same ticking sound on mine. Thought the cam for the supercharger was bent, or it was a detonation issue. I have a AirAid and Throttle body spacer on mine. If it is at a standstill and I rev the engine, I can't hear the ticking. If I'm moving and I rev it in 2nd-5th, I definatly can hear it. It sounds really bad, like it is damaging the engine. Did you replace that valve Solar?

#405880 - 08/05/03 09:47 AM Re: Ticking sound
Solar Offline

oface
I really have not replaced anything but was trying to find out if others have the same sound. As mentioned the ticking sound is only when I have my FIPK on, if I install all original air filter hardware the ticking sound is history (at any and all rpm's). This tells me that the valve/solenoid must be working fine but when the FIPK is on and more air is coming in, it just can't keep up or something.
So if this valve can't keep up with the air ..... is that causing any problems (or just emissions stuff like Kerensky97 said ) ??

I can't really go to the dealer because once all original hardware is on there is no problem. I am sure the dealer will be useless ! [Smoking]

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal