Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#411125 - 18/04/06 08:01 AM x pipes and true dual exhaust
Anonymous
Unregistered

Got another one for you guys to chew on. I know that headers are available and I have seen a couple of discussions about running a dual exhaust. I was wondering if anyone has thought about the cross pipe, commonly referred to as an x pipe or h-pipe (older). The x-pipe is supposed to provide more HP than the h but is it possible in our vehicles? I've noticed people talking about splitting after the cat and even running one pipe completely down each side without addressing the flow matching problems. One of my future mods is a dual exhaust, if possible. Is this type of setup possible with an X pipe or would an H-pipe have to be used or, with the tank where it is can a setup like this even be done? Do we currently have a 2 or 2 1/4" exhaust setup?

#411126 - 18/04/06 06:22 PM Re: x pipes and true dual exhaust
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not sure if that would work, the cars that have x pipes available don't have Transfer Cases and things like that in the way. (kidding) The exhaust on your '03 is not the problem. The '03's added 10 hp over the '02's due in part to an improved exhaust system. The cat-back systems that are available yeild little rear wheels horsepower improvements. If you design an X pipe for the Xterra maybe you could start an Xterra aftermarket that is yet untapped. smile

#411127 - 18/04/06 07:13 PM Re: x pipes and true dual exhaust
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah, that's what I was wondering about, the transfer case. Wasn't sure if that would be a problem or not. I'm a big fan of swapping the factory cat for a high flow aftermarket and Flowmaster 40 series muffler. I had a regal that I through that on with a drop in filter and the car felt completely different. My conquest had a gutted cat and 3" catback. That was a good combo as well once you hit 2500 on the tach. I'm gonna have to get this thing in the air and figure out what I can do with it.

#411128 - 18/04/06 08:48 PM Re: x pipes and true dual exhaust
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Well when I was under there at the shop that put my duals on,we was looking at it and there's plenty of room to run duals and eliminating the X pipe..There's also plenty of room where the stock muffler sits to fit the two mufflers.The OEM muffler was almost 2X the size of my Flowmaster.

#411129 - 19/04/06 09:42 PM Re: x pipes and true dual exhaust
BigE515 Offline

Loc: Chelmsford,MA
Gotta love the stock muffler!

It's friggin huge! Just adding a Borla muffler, half the size of the stock muffler, I noticed an increase in throttle response and acceleration.

#411130 - 19/04/06 10:37 PM Re: x pipes and true dual exhaust
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by RI Xterra:
Well when I was under there at the shop that put my duals on,we was looking at it and there's plenty of room to run duals and eliminating the X pipe..There's also plenty of room where the stock muffler sits to fit the two mufflers.The OEM muffler was almost 2X the size of my Flowmaster.
Instead of using an x-pipe and 2 mufflers, why not use a dual in and out muffler as the crossover. This would be like the Prochamber that some Mustang owners use. Nothing wrong with the x-pipe, just thought this would be cheaper and weigh less (I value weight loss as much as power).

#411131 - 20/04/06 06:33 AM Re: x pipes and true dual exhaust
RI Xterra Offline

Oh that would work too..But I was talking about running right from each header into it's own muffler..But you could do it that way too..

#411132 - 20/04/06 09:13 AM Re: x pipes and true dual exhaust
Anonymous
Unregistered

That gas tank would be a sumbitch to get around?

#411133 - 20/04/06 10:12 AM Re: x pipes and true dual exhaust
Anonymous
Unregistered

RI X - there needs to be some sort of connection to balance out the pulses from each side. It has been proven that h-pipes are better that straight, and it seems that x-pipes are better than h.

Badfnz - I had never heard of using a dual in muffler to balance things out. But if it looks like there would be room for an x-pipe, that's the way I will go.

Slanty - thats another major concern. Gas tank location. Is it inside or outside the frame rails?

#411134 - 20/04/06 11:06 AM Re: x pipes and true dual exhaust
Anonymous
Unregistered

It shouldn't be a huge problem. Just have both pipes exit the same side.

CTP used to make a set of true duals for the Frontier.

CTP Nissan Frontier True Duals

#411135 - 20/04/06 11:56 AM Re: x pipes and true dual exhaust
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by alamocoastie:
RI X - there needs to be some sort of connection to balance out the pulses from each side. It has been proven that h-pipes are better that straight, and it seems that x-pipes are better than h.

Badfnz - I had never heard of using a dual in muffler to balance things out. But if it looks like there would be room for an x-pipe, that's the way I will go.

Slanty - thats another major concern. Gas tank location. Is it inside or outside the frame rails?
I'm sure there is room for an x-pipe. I was just saying if you wanted to save money and cut probably 20-30lbs out of the whole system, you could use 1 muffler as a crossover.

If you want to run an x-pipe, Dr. Gas makes junctions in different diameters. I'd use that as the crossover and fab up the exhaust to that. X-pipes generally make a little more power but usually sound more raspy when compared to the h-pipe.

#411136 - 20/04/06 01:29 PM Re: x pipes and true dual exhaust
RI Xterra Offline

Running the pipes out the rear isn't a problem...I ran mine straight out the back and the gas tank isn't in the way.But you'll have to loose the spare mounted under there..

#411137 - 28/04/06 05:56 PM Re: x pipes and true dual exhaust
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm sure it can be done. A nice setup with ball flanges would come in handy in case you need to drop the the transfer case and tranny. No gaskets, easily accessible bolts, a pair of smooth and mellow mufflers...Would be very nice IMHO.

#411138 - 29/04/06 08:37 AM Re: x pipes and true dual exhaust
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just saw an X the other day with dual exhaust coming out straight back on both sides. Sounded nice, loked read. There was no indication of the second pipe being fake. The spare was still under there, though so that had me thinking...

Looked nice. I'm thinking of duals now too. I'm currently running a Flowmaster 40 straight out the back but dual would be better.

#411139 - 30/04/06 01:01 PM Re: x pipes and true dual exhaust
Anonymous
Unregistered

The only reason I can see putting duals on an Xterra would be just to say you have duals. The engine doesn't put out near enough power to need them, so all it's going to do is add a little weight (depending on muffler size) and cost you a few hundred $. But I'm one for innovation so if you have the money to blow, then go for it, just don't have the mindset that it's going to improve anything except maybe sound.

#411140 - 03/05/06 03:28 AM Re: x pipes and true dual exhaust
Anonymous
Unregistered

stop messing around! just cut two holes in the hood and flip your exhaust manifolds over!

just kidding.

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal