2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#411976 - 19/11/05 09:42 PM crash course in cams?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just looking for a little info on cams. I was thinking about getting some for christmas but I don't know anyone that has them yet. There are HP cams and race cams on 4x4parts and then there are the ones on SLR. Those are the only ones I know about? Thanks in advance SS~

#411977 - 20/11/05 02:28 PM Re: crash course in cams?
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Jim Wolf Technologies also makes cams for our trucks with the 3.3L

www.jimwolftechnology.com

#411978 - 20/11/05 03:33 PM Re: crash course in cams?
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is a great article that outlines how cams work. It might help you on deciding which option is best for you.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/camshaft.htm

#411979 - 26/11/05 11:09 PM Re: crash course in cams?
Anonymous
Unregistered

In the shortest terms ever, a cam determines how long a valve stays open and how high it lifts. More lift usually results in more hp and tq, but then you run into piston to valve clearance. More duration usually results in more hp but not necessarily tq. Higher duration also moves the powerband up, which will give you a higher peak but will sacrifice low-end. A wider LSA will move the powerband down a bit, and give you less overlap which means better emissions. A tighter LSA will move the powerband up and will increase overlap, which hurts emissions, and also gives you more "lope".

If you're going for peak numbers, look for high duration and high lift. If you off-road alot, look for something with less duration but more lift.

Whatever the case, don't over do it on the duration and lift unless you're going to clay it first to make sure you don't run into p2v clearance issues.

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal