Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#412243 - 13/05/06 04:38 PM Re: Help with gas milage problem?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The only way to get 18+ mpg is with the 05 or 06 model. 1st gen X's are total crap when it comes to mileage and on-road performance.

#412244 - 13/05/06 05:13 PM Re: Help with gas milage problem?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am going to take a photo to prove the it can be done..its all how you drive.

I have a 40 mile round trip commute to work 50/50 city/highway and in the summer time I WILL hit 300 before I fill up every time.

In the winter time with winter fuel I cant do it I may see about 260-280.

My city speed is 40-45 mph and I never go over 65 mph on the interstate. Ease off at the lights and brake ahead of time to roll to the lights, stop signs whatever....lol.

I've followed my fuel mileage for a long time and I see 17-19 mpg every fill up.

2000 4x4 Auto @ 89000 miles.

On a good note I used to commute 6 days a week, my new position I commute 3 days a week laugh

#412245 - 13/05/06 07:34 PM Re: Help with gas milage problem?
Xorand Offline

Loc: LA (Lower Alabama)
Without paying much attention to driving differently (I drive easy most of the time, though), I get consistent 17.5 mpg figures around town with 32" tires, auto, 4x4, Shrock bumper and skids, lights on the bumper and roof and running 32 psi in the tires.

Granted, "around town" for me is somewhat rural, with most roads having speed limits from 35 to 55. Still, I do drive a very short commute (1.8 miles each way) to work. Short trips such as that tend to drop your mileage a bit.

#412246 - 14/05/06 10:40 AM Re: Help with gas milage problem?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I filled up with 294.3 miles on the tank. It only took 16.040 gallons, so that leaves like 2 -3 gallons left. So that is what 18.33 MPG. So yes, it can be done. Like I said, I did those steps I listed above and in my case, it added 30-40 extra miles to my tank before fill up. BTW, the light came on at 285 miles.

#412247 - 15/05/06 10:52 AM Re: Help with gas milage problem?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I regularly get around 17-19 with mixed driving. So far, all I have is new tires (AT's) and the poorest of the PMLs (shackles and torsion bump). I cruise 75. I don't wear a hole in the gas pedal when I am driving around town and I noticed that helps tremendously. The new ethanol gas is showing up more and I am getting better now than with the MTBE crap that was around. I'm sure that this time next year, I'll be saying something different. I use good quality gas whenever possible and I made it to 310 once before I pulled in for a fill up. I was sweatin bullets but it made it that far. All I can say is stay on top of maintenance, use the cruise control on the freeways, and don't gag it around town.

I will now stop beating on Trigger eek [ThumbsUp]

#412248 - 16/05/06 12:28 PM Re: Help with gas milage problem?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay, You guys have convinced me that getting 300 miles can be done. I thought about why you guys are getting that kind of MPG versus what I get. I came to conclusion that where most of you guys live seem to be places where the pace of everyday life can be taken at a bit of a slower pace (if you so choose). In Southern California, if I drove 60-65 on the freeway, I'd get blown off the road, even in the slow lane by the white-hairs in their Cadillacs. I'm also more interested in getting to where I want to get than squeezing 30 more miles out of my tank (which equates to what...about $9+change these days?). For example, when my buddies and I are caravan-ning down to the ocean with our kayaks, I don't want get into the water 20 minutes later than they did because I needed to keep it under 2000RPM's. I also don't want to get to a head trail an hour later, because gas conservation is an issue. All those minutes add up in life (at least to me). I'm intetested in living my life, not squadering it on the freeway counting miles, taking my x apart for aerodynamics, and not driving the X the way it was made to be driven.
I'm not sure this was the direction the poster wanted it to go, but it prompted interesting comments.

#412249 - 16/05/06 03:13 PM Re: Help with gas milage problem?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just to clarify, I hope I didn't come off as thinking that so. cal was superior than where you guys live. I actually envy those who live where the pace of life is slower and people are nicer. But pulling up roots here would be hard on the kids. Once they're in college, I'm moving to greener...and slower pastures.

#412250 - 17/05/06 04:47 AM Re: Help with gas milage problem?
Anonymous
Unregistered

No Worries.. I'd take California over Delaware any day. smile

#412251 - 17/05/06 05:38 PM Re: Help with gas milage problem?
Anonymous
Unregistered

They're saying now that cars/suv's are'nt getting the gas mileage the sticker says..

#412252 - 17/05/06 05:45 PM Re: Help with gas milage problem?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Nichole:
They're saying now that cars/suv's are'nt getting the gas mileage the sticker says..
That's probably because they test the mpg in controlled environments that do not match driving. For example, testing on rollers with no wind resistance, every electrical systems off, no radio, no fan, no A/C, etc.

Since there are all tested in the same fashion, it's still a good gauge when comparing two vehicles, knowing that in real life both will be lower.

#412253 - 31/05/06 07:47 AM Re: Help with gas milage problem?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I bought my Xterra as a UTILITY vehicle, not as my basic transportation. It's just not practical.

I have a utility trailer, a trailered boat and I like to off-road on the beaches and have a nicer car for some road trips.

My other car is a 1985 honda coupe beater that gets 33mpg. I pay minimal insurance, repairs on it and drive it to get from point a to point b.

If people would drive utility vehicles for utility and not basic transportation, we'd be a lot better off.

When you factor in the cost per mile on my newer xterra, not just for gasoline but for everything else like depreciation, full insurance, I actually SAVE a lot of money by having the beater car. I've been using this strategy for about 4 years now (2nd beater car) and the numbers are great.

Plus, instead of having 100K on my X I have 55K. I'll have the car for at least another 10-15 years because I don't throw it away on commuting to work etc. That means while most people are shelling out 30K for a new SUV every 5 years, I'll still be driving mine in good condition.

Something to ponder...

#412254 - 31/05/06 04:33 PM Re: Help with gas milage problem?
xterra3202 Offline

Loc: Georgia
I routinely get 19-20 in my X!!!!!! HeHeHe!!!!

Tim

Thomas Jefferson

#412255 - 31/05/06 08:31 PM Re: Help with gas milage problem?
Anonymous
Unregistered

From experience 468 miles out of a tank is possible with a 1 gallon reserve. But you have to be above 6k feet and go no more than 45mph with slow leisurely acceleration. At normal speeds 65-75 I have seen up to 20mpg but it was all above 5k feet.

Not a normal thing but it is possible.

When I was stock I have seen 300+ miles out of a tank while in the lowlands at highway speeds.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal