Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#412708 - 15/05/08 10:53 PM Re: Horrible Gas Mileage!!! What should I check?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I tried switching out the fuel filter so we will see if that helps. Would switching out the spark plugs help confused

#412709 - 16/05/08 05:48 AM Re: Horrible Gas Mileage!!! What should I check?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just ease up on the skinny pedal. I noticed better gas mileage by not letting the RPM's go over 2000-2100 when starting from a stop or driving on the highway. Worked pretty well.

[ThumbsUp]

#412710 - 16/05/08 06:52 AM Re: Horrible Gas Mileage!!! What should I check?
Anonymous
Unregistered

i haven't been pushing it that hard. I don't let it go over 2500 rpm's most of the time. frown

#412711 - 16/05/08 03:19 PM Re: Horrible Gas Mileage!!! What should I check?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I noticed that my mileage was down a bit on my X. I figured it was winter blend gas, but looked at my air filter this weekend, and even though I only have 17000 on my vehicle it looked like it was past due for a replacement. Will be taking care of that as soon as I get back home.

#412712 - 18/05/08 01:22 PM Re: Horrible Gas Mileage!!! What should I check?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I got roughly 18.5 highway with mine. I added a K&N filter, and it helped... Helped ME be softer on the throttle. Now I try to accelerate in a way that I don't hear it "growl".
I'll find out if it helps on the highway next month... on an apporx. 4000 mile round trip.

Jeff!

#412713 - 19/05/08 03:28 PM Re: Horrible Gas Mileage!!! What should I check?
Anonymous
Unregistered

So after switching out the filter I upped my mpg from 12.3 to 16 laugh

#412714 - 19/05/08 04:22 PM Re: Horrible Gas Mileage!!! What should I check?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Xtreme-Xterra:
So after switching out the filter I upped my mpg from 12.3 to 16 laugh
Doubtful...

#412715 - 21/05/08 11:46 AM Re: Horrible Gas Mileage!!! What should I check?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Cybone:
I was listening to Click & Clack and somebody called in with a transmission problem. Their 4th gear went out, but their mpg's went up coz they went straight from 3rd to 5th. I tried this myself, skipping 4th as much a possible, taking it easy, not jumpin on it, and I got 19.6 mpg. Click & Clack referred to this as the European style of driving, to get into the highest gear asap without lugging. IDK what it's called, but I thought 19.6 was pretty good for my X.
I'm in a 2007 O/R, so YMMV. I tend to start in 2nd a lot and try to keep the revs around 2K in whatever top gear I'm using. At this point, I managed to pull 18.5 in mixed city/hwy. My guess is that the optimal powerband spot is right around there. If I'm in a higher gear then the engine starts to lug and I noticed that I'd end up giving it more pedal.

Some other tricks I'm using (some are mileage, some are just driving less):

1 - only drive about 2-5mph over the speed limit, especially at highway speeds. Less wind resistance, less fuel used. Sucks on long trips and long commutes, but it can help.
2 - travel during slack times as much as possible. Stop and go traffic kills mileage. Maybe that means leaving for work 15 minutes early or staying 15 minutes later for the office building parking lot to clear.
3 - As soon as I hit the parking spot, I kill the ignition. I'll roll the windows up on battery power, even. Idling doesn't use much fuel, but if you're going to be stopped for more than minute (and aren't in traffic), turn it off.
4 - Don't use the drive-thru. Park and walk in
5 - Park at the back of the parking lot - you'll get a space quicker and use less gas driving around.
6 - find less congested ways to get to places. It just so happens that where I live and where we got to the hardware store has two possible ways to get there. One's more direct, but always congested. The other has almost no traffic, lights, etc., so I can cruise at 45mph the entire way.
7 - Combine trips - basic common sense, I know, but it can drastically cut your miles driven.
8 - regular maintenance (change the oil, air filter, tranny fluid (both in your transmission and in that freakishly mannish looking girl you're dating), tire pressure, etc.

Those are just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are other good ones out there.

#412716 - 21/05/08 01:25 PM Re: Horrible Gas Mileage!!! What should I check?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Some good points Ron, but I wouldn't suggest using 2nd as first gear. Mostly due to the small and poor design of the clutches on the 2nd Gen. You're bound to spend all that money saved on gas for a new clutch. IMHO

#412717 - 22/05/08 05:41 AM Re: Horrible Gas Mileage!!! What should I check?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Conundrum:
Some good points Ron, but I wouldn't suggest using 2nd as first gear. Mostly due to the small and poor design of the clutches on the 2nd Gen. You're bound to spend all that money saved on gas for a new clutch. IMHO
Good point - I may stop it, just that first gear seemed so damn "granny" and useless that I switched over. It also tended to get a much smoother start...

But stopping shouldn't be that big of a deal - just need to get out of the habit.

I was also thinking that shifting at 2.5K RPM is another potential saver, as well as treating the gas pedal like your kid sister rather than some random bar girl...

#412718 - 22/05/08 06:50 AM Re: Horrible Gas Mileage!!! What should I check?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron ap Rhys:
Quote:
Originally posted by Conundrum:
[b]Some good points Ron, but I wouldn't suggest using 2nd as first gear. Mostly due to the small and poor design of the clutches on the 2nd Gen. You're bound to spend all that money saved on gas for a new clutch. IMHO
Good point - I may stop it, just that first gear seemed so damn "granny" and useless that I switched over. It also tended to get a much smoother start...

But stopping shouldn't be that big of a deal - just need to get out of the habit.

I was also thinking that shifting at 2.5K RPM is another potential saver, as well as treating the gas pedal like your kid sister rather than some random bar girl...[/b]
I kinda prefer the bar girl... myself... [LOL]

That's the reason I didn't want the slush box. Why have gears that are so close in a manual. I know 1st is good for steady crawling in four lo, but for the street it is really short.

Now you could go first, third and final for the speed and conditions. You may get an increase in mileage if you treat the skinny pedal nicely. That won't hurt the clutch as you wouldn't be letting it slip. If you find yourself not removing your foot entirely from the clutch pedal between shifts, you're most likely wearing it out prematurely.

Good luck! [Wave]

#412719 - 22/05/08 08:13 AM Re: Horrible Gas Mileage!!! What should I check?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I kinda prefer the bar girl... myself... [LOL]

That's the reason I didn't want the slush box. Why have gears that are so close in a manual. I know 1st is good for steady crawling in four lo, but for the street it is really short.

Now you could go first, third and final for the speed and conditions. You may get an increase in mileage if you treat the skinny pedal nicely. That won't hurt the clutch as you wouldn't be letting it slip. If you find yourself not removing your foot entirely from the clutch pedal between shifts, you're most likely wearing it out prematurely.

Good luck! [Wave]
The 1-3-4/5/6 could work, but I'm thinking I'll use the straight normal sequence, just make sure I shift around 2.5K every time. With the teeniest of throttle blips, there shouldn't be too much slippage and unless I'm needing to merge in a hurry, skipping gears probably doesn't net too much of a savings.

I'm thinking that relaxing and not being in a hurry is also driving my mileage up. Columbus isn't known for bad traffic*, so it's not that difficult to not get angry.

*They may think it is, but that's because they've not driven in Manhattan, NJ, Boston, or DC. All of which have consumed many, many hours of my life in bumper to bumper traffic.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal