shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#412942 - 26/08/05 07:53 PM K&N Air now or later?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have my K&N air filter, but I only have about 300 miles on the new X. Is there enough benefit from the K&N to warrant putting it in now or should I just wait until the factory filter is due for a change?

#412943 - 26/08/05 08:17 PM Re: K&N Air now or later?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would wait and use up the factory filter. Did you get the K&N drop in type or the whole kit?

#412944 - 26/08/05 08:36 PM Re: K&N Air now or later?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I got the drop type. Where can you get the kit for an '05? Is it worth it?

#412945 - 27/08/05 06:03 AM Re: K&N Air now or later?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wouldnt bother with the kit. I installed an AirRaid system on my 04 at 1k miles. No improvement at all. Just the noise when I step on it. When its time to change the oem filter, Then id put a drop in filter.

#412946 - 06/09/05 12:54 PM Re: K&N Air now or later?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I love the drop in K&N Air Filter.

#412947 - 03/10/05 10:33 AM Re: K&N Air now or later?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wish I would have thought up the entire K&N filter hoopla.

Unless you modify the rest of your intake and exhaust, chances are good that you've just wasted your money. If any engine manufacturer could squeeze out 1-2 MPG increase as well as more HP, don't you think they would have put a better filter in to begin with? Hmmm.

K&N has been around a long time. Only anecdotal evidence (sounds better, feels better). But the track times and CLOSED hood dynos don't support the hype. Yeah, I know others will say otherwise. Do your own research, find out why many of us say SAVE YER MONEY.

Oh, and the final test you'll certainly want to check on is actual filtering performance. Run your X down a dusty trail with the stock filter. Then remove the filter, and take a white rag and wipe the inside of the duct downstream of the filter. Repeat with the K&N. You tell me what you discover... wink Don't take the following as gospel, do the wipe test yourself.
Comparison

Been there, done that, I no longer use K&N.

YMMV, but not likely.

#412948 - 06/10/05 11:33 AM Re: K&N Air now or later?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I haveto agree with the above. I used the drop in and it yielded no performance gain, neither any MPG gain.

The filter got dirty so before I could clean it I popped the old (yet still clean) regular filter that I had. I drove that way for some time completely forgetting that I took the K&N out and was driving with the regular filter. Made no difference. I have a Flowmaster 40 Original on the back as well with 2.50 pipes.

Icleaned the K&N and sold it. It was not worth the money that I spent. I know that the whole kit might yield better results but not much better. I don't think that 1-2 HP would be worth the damn $180. I'd rather buy a BL to better clear my tires because them suckers still rub at full compression!

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal