2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#418509 - 12/05/02 09:59 PM 3" lift
FaulkYou Offline

Loc: Avon NY
lookin to get a lift....anyone have any problems with a SLR 3" suspension lift on an '02 and who has the best quality calmini or SLR? or someone else perhaps??....appreciate any help my way

#418510 - 12/05/02 10:15 PM Re: 3" lift
Craigs_Tonka Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I for one, am VERY happy with my SLR lift. I can't comment on the others as I've never owned them.

You may want to use the search function and look for lift kits as there will be dozens of threads in parts and accessories and suspension forums.

Keep in mind SLR utilizes race proven technology. I'm not sure the other companies have that experience. Just my .02

#418511 - 12/05/02 10:35 PM Re: 3" lift
johnnyx Offline
J

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Try searching this forum on the following and visit their websites. Lots of info on XOC...depends on how much you want to spend as well. I went the somewhat cheaper route and pieced it together how I wanted it.

1. http://www.purenissan.com/xterra.htm
2. http://www.extreme4x4parts.com
3. http://www.spencerlowracing.com
4. http://www.4x4parts.com/

I have #4 (above) front a-arm/balljoint lift along with #2 Add-a-Leafs & torsion bars, and #3's 2" shackles. So far so good.

#418512 - 13/05/02 07:19 AM Re: 3" lift
ClimberRn Offline

No problems with the 4X4parts.com lift. Works great so far, and reasonable price.

#418513 - 13/05/02 07:43 AM Re: 3" lift
FSRBIKER Offline

Loc: Oak Ridge, NJ
Quote:
Originally posted by Craigs_Tonka:

Keep in mind SLR utilizes race proven technology. I'm not sure the other companies have that experience. Just my .02
Where have they raced their Xterra or Frontier? Do you have a link?
EOE...Opening Soon!

#418514 - 13/05/02 04:07 PM Re: 3" lift
Spencer Low Racing Offline

Loc: Parker
FSRBIKER:

Please read the post again--I thought that Craig was quite clear.

"Keep in mind SLR utilizes race proven technology. I'm not sure the other companies have that experience. Just my .02"

We use race-proven technology in the design of our suspension lifts--dampening, steering geometry, shock tuning, body roll, compression stops, polyurethane, proper materials, proper welds, proper design.

"Where have they raced their Xterra or Frontier? Do you have a link?"

www.2slr.com

We will soon be uploading our new site this week.

#418515 - 13/05/02 04:45 PM Re: 3" lift
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend. The SLR kit is nice, but packed with a bunch of stuff *you* may not need. If you're not into "bootlegger" style jamming across the desert, then perhaps a kit that costs $400 or so less would be more to your benefit. I pieced a kit together and am pleased with it. They all essentially do the same thing. I can appreciate the effort SLR goes to, but nothing gets said by these guys for ages and then they start broadcasting all this hype to sell product. I might buy their steering system or I might just wait. I think SLR's current attitude leaves something to be desired. Pride is one thing, pompus is another. Just my thoughts on this matter.

Charlie [Wave]

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#418516 - 14/05/02 10:54 AM Re: 3" lift
Spencer Low Racing Offline

Loc: Parker
"I think SLR's current attitude leaves something to be desired. Pride is one thing, pompus is another. Just my thoughts on this matter."

Fair enough. I'm just tired of constant misleading information.

I will now only post in Manufacturers' Row.

Thanks

>>>SLR

#418517 - 14/05/02 11:33 AM Re: 3" lift
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
I think what can be interpret as pompus is probably a more defensive stance that is brought out due to the barrage of critisism that the manufacturers here seem to get the minute they attempt to introduce a new product. You back someone into a corner and of course they are going to come out fighting.

I think it says a lot about them that they are willing to engage potential customers in debate about their products and take on all questions regardelss if the attitude they are asked with .

Also , it seems they are trying to exude confidence in their products as a result of their significant experience in off-roading.

Personally I'd rather see that kind of confidence as opposed to a manufacturer that would tell me that they're uncertain that their product is going to work.

#418518 - 14/05/02 12:06 PM Re: 3" lift
NthLJ Offline

I understand and appreciate that confidence as well. They make a great bunch of products and I plan on getting the steering setup. The abrasiveness (word?) and harsh tones of the posts of late (on all sides) just caused me to say something. No offense was meant. If their stuff is as good as I think it is, they shouldn't have to be defensive. The products will speak for themselves.

"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#418519 - 14/05/02 05:21 PM Re: 3" lift
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
I don't have a "complete lift kit" yet, but am more or less flying by wire, adding a piece here and there... That having been said...

I have two SLR products, and the customer service and quality of the parts speak for themselves. Ian of XOC fame (hehe) has their Stage-something kit, and is under "Reviews" here on XOC. He is also impressed. I don't think you could go wrong with SLR.

Calmini, overall, doesn't really impress me. Their parts strike me as cheap and sort of boxy. I could be wrong though, I'm just going by what I've seen on their site.

#418520 - 14/05/02 05:23 PM Re: 3" lift
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Spencer Low Racing:
Fair enough. I'm just tired of constant misleading information.

I will now only post in Manufacturers' Row.

Thanks
Just great... [Uh Oh !]

#418521 - 14/05/02 09:14 PM Re: 3" lift
SEXterra Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
Well, it's my turn to chime in here...

I had the second SLR stage 3 lift installed... Ian had the first... see review section. Installed March of last year.

So far...
Excellent components and support to date... (over one year later, find another company that will warranty AND upgrade components 1 year later!)

Definately concur with Craig's comments earlier... The SLR lift is based off of Spencer's Frontier that he RACES! The Frontier and X have essentially the same front end. I want technology and design based on performance, not flash. If I wanted flash I would have went with Ranhco (what's that?)

I have no experience with Calmini, so I can't comment on that... Does Calmini have those kits ready to ship? I've seen one post on it to date.

I'm glad Spencer's crew is getting more involved here given the large audience. We have been in many conversations where I ask why don't you post here more often... The answer is simple, Spencer and his staff had elected to step back, prepare a new site, stock up on parts to sell, develop develop develop, and then come forward with a new re-invented SLR (as opposed to selling vapor products that aren't available yet like other manufacturers have done). The current surge in presence is the wake before the storm. Watch out for a new SLR site and product list in the very near future.

Also understand one other thing. I "advertise" a few products here... specifically SLR and Darlington Offroad. I will go on record stating to date I have never received a "free or discounted" product to "advertise or review". I fully purchased everything, installed everything, and tested everything on my own accord. I "advertise" for these companies because I recognize what these companies are trying to do to support us and believe in thier products FROM MY OWN EXPERIENCES. Buy what you want after doing your homework.

I like SLR, Spencer,and his gear. It's race born and bred with performance being the driving factor for it's development. He fully stands behind it. Sure it cost's more. Ya get what you pay for, simple as that.

Haven't done this, but if you split a SLR upper A-arm wheeling... I gaurantee you Spence will replace it.

To comment on ChalieH post. I can see your point. Spence has been a bit rough recently... probably because of the resistance he has received here from other members, specifically the host of this site. That's an issue between Ian and his personal agenda vs. Spencer's advertising agenda. He's probably frustrated from the deluge of misinformation that get's spun around this site as stated. I think the products to speak for themselves, it's what other uninformed individuals or informed individuals woth persoanl agendas post that gets the SLR team spun up.

My $2 worth

#418522 - 24/05/02 05:21 AM Re: 3" lift
SimplyXterra Offline

Loc: Wyoming
If you didn't do a lift kit yourself...how much would you expect to pay at a performance auto shop?

#418523 - 24/05/02 05:48 AM Re: 3" lift
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by SimplyXterra:
If you didn't do a lift kit yourself...how much would you expect to pay at a performance auto shop?
Probably 6-8 hours at their labor rate.

I would avoid a performance auto shop and only allow a 4x4 shop or a Nissan dealer to install it.

#418524 - 24/05/02 06:41 AM Re: 3" lift
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
Be wary of the AC lift.. I have their upper control arms and they are WAY to long. I have not been able to get the alignment to where AC says it should be (camber is over a degree out). They were suppose to have some new "custom shorter" arms for me but it is going on 5 weeks and still no arms.

And I am not the only person who has had this problem. There are people here that have had to either switch to the Calmini arms or have AC make the "custom" arms for them as well.

As for the SLR lift.. I have no knowldge of how its construction and performance is compaired to the other two.

Calmini is another story. I have not only seen their lift installed but have compaired their craftmanship side by side with the AC lift. Not only are the Calmini components designed better but the overall fit and finish is far superior to that of the AC components.

Something else to consider between the Calmini and AC lifts.. Calmini manufactures their lift while AC manupackages theirs. So Calmini has better control over the quality.

Happy hunting..

#418525 - 24/05/02 07:01 AM Re: 3" lift
Carlton McMillan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by BoarderPhreak:

Calmini, overall, doesn't really impress me. Their parts strike me as cheap and sort of boxy. I could be wrong though, I'm just going by what I've seen on their site.
You obviously have never actually seen Calmini's products. If you were to side by side compair (for example) the UCA of both Calmini and AC you would think that the AC arms were made in shop class.

Here are the Calmini arms..

And here are the AC arms..

Which look to be better constructed to you? When I get these longer AC arms off I will get some detailed images showing you some of the questionable construction and such..

#418526 - 24/05/02 09:06 AM Re: 3" lift
stormy Offline

Loc: NH
I agree Carlton,

I've seen many complaints about the camber (including myself) on the AC a-arms. Do a search on camber, you'll find a bunch of people with camber problems. Not one about SLR or Calmini.

#418527 - 24/05/02 09:09 AM Re: 3" lift
stormy Offline

Loc: NH
All of Calmini's a-arms, bumpers, etc are laser cut. AC's look like they were cut with a hacksaw

#418528 - 24/05/02 10:43 AM Re: 3" lift
XCETRA Offline

Loc: Utah
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Faulkner:
lookin to get a lift....anyone have any problems with a SLR 3" suspension lift on an '02 and who has the best quality calmini or SLR? or someone else perhaps??....appreciate any help my way
Jeff

I have an 02. I do not have the complete Calmini lift yet I am ordering the A-arms by next week however I know that with either of these lifts you should be good to go. I love my Calmini stuff and it is a great complete system for your dollar IMHO.

I did not understand Shock technology and Steve at Calmini has been ever so helpful as everyone at SLR is too. These two companies are great and either way you cannot go wrong. As far as the AC stuff goes I have no experience with them so I cannot say.

What I have: Calmini Idler arm brace, Calmini Shocks, Calmini AAL's, Calmini A-arms (coming soon), SLR 2" Shackle (credited from CraigsTonka)
I opted not to do the Sway bar extensions and I pieced this together for wallet and wife purposes:)

good luck and post your pics when it is done!

#418529 - 24/05/02 10:57 AM Re: 3" lift
Tom G Offline

Loc: AZ
I switch my UCA's from AC to Calmini this summer....is there anyone interested in a used set of AC UCA's?

#418530 - 24/05/02 12:25 PM Re: 3" lift
NthLJ Offline

Here are some shots (not the greatest). I recently changed mine.

#418531 - 24/05/02 12:48 PM Re: 3" lift
NthLJ Offline

I'm just sending mine back to AC. Not even topping my truck out with the eccentrics maxed got me within 1.5 degrees of spec. We even took out the bumpstops and raised it, not even close...

With the Calmini arms, the alignment was dead on with a full range of adjustment available. No fooling around, no calls, no custom arms to be made, they just worked. The Calmini arms are much more consistent in their manufacture. They looked dead on when compared to one another. The AC arms looked (were) different.

After my experience, I would recommend the Calmini over the AC any day. When the pricing is that close why bother with the hassle?

#418532 - 24/05/02 12:54 PM Re: 3" lift
Steel_City_X Offline

Loc: Pueblo, CO
Remember if you go with the SLR stage II or beyond, you'll deal with the front differential and a spring pack replacement. These add to the overall time, rather than just the A arms.

I am finding that I have to run the front lifted higher than I need on a daily basis to get the camber to work with the SLR lift. I would rather have to crank up the torsion bars when I really need them rather than having my CV's always at a wicked angle.

Still getting the lift adjusted.

Todd
First Xterra IFS or SAS up Moab Rim...#2 up Mt. Blanca.
African Adventure pictures....
http://homepage.mac.com/ahlenius/

#418533 - 24/05/02 01:06 PM Re: 3" lift
Carlton McMillan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DesertRAT:

Just as a side note, I just had my truck aligned day before yesterday with AC UCA's and everything came into spec just fine.

Carlton, this leads me to a question for you...you say the AC arms are too long. How much did you lift your truck? AC arms won't come into alignment without at least 2.5" over stock. I took measurements at my frame rails before and after and run about 2.75" of lift myself and haven't had any alignment issues. Could the problem be consistency in manufacturing, or are you running only about 1.5-2" of lift? Curious.

I am running the arms at the AC specs of nearly three inches and even with the cam bolts turned all the way I still can not get it in spec. I believe that they (AC) is getting the arms too long.

Speaking of your alignment.. Where do your cam bolts sit?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal