2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#418559 - 28/05/02 08:07 AM Re: 3" lift
FSRBIKER Offline

Loc: Oak Ridge, NJ
Quote:
Originally posted by Carlton McMillan:
Quote:
Originally posted by FSRBIKER:
[b]Carlton the AC/Calmini braces prevent the slop in the bushing but do not prevent the arm from bending, I bent the stock one when my centerlink went.
I think they might prevent this though..

I don't think there is a brace for the MOOG.. or is there?[/b]
So then buy one.
EOE...Opening Soon!

#418560 - 28/05/02 08:32 AM Re: 3" lift
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]Carlton the AC/Calmini braces prevent the slop in the bushing but do not prevent the arm from bending, I bent the stock one when my centerlink went.
I think they might prevent this though..

I don't think there is a brace for the MOOG.. or is there?[/b]
So then buy one.[/b]
I already have one.. that was someone elses Xterra (Ian's to be exact)

#418561 - 28/05/02 08:34 AM Re: 3" lift
Carlton McMillan Offline

then stay away from this kit unless you are going for looks..."

So just to clarify.. you never said the above statement?

#418562 - 28/05/02 08:38 AM Re: 3" lift
Carlton McMillan Offline

Quote:

So it seems you must be agreeing with 4wd and Sport Utility magazine about no additional travel with the Calmini lift or are you carrying extra cv shafts? Does anyone have the August issue of that magazine, the online version is not the full article?
A quote from you... " There are more than just CV angles as limiting factors for IFS suspensions, we will address them all and when we install the first kit and show the results everyone will be really surprised at what we have come up with. Downey has done some great things for the Toyota IFS and we plan on doing the same for Nissan's."

BTW.. how does your/ AC's lift correct or get around the driveshaft/cv angle problem and increase articulation?

#418563 - 28/05/02 08:45 AM Re: 3" lift
FSRBIKER Offline

Quote:
[b]then stay away from this kit unless you are going for looks..."

So just to clarify.. you never said the above statement?[/b]
Sure, but what's wrong with that? If as stated in the article you gain no travel than why not spend the same amount of money on a kit that gains travel...or just install a body lift if the intention is to raise the truck to fit larger tires.
EOE...Opening Soon!

#418564 - 28/05/02 08:52 AM Re: 3" lift
FSRBIKER Offline

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
So it seems you must be agreeing with 4wd and Sport Utility magazine about no additional travel with the Calmini lift or are you carrying extra cv shafts? Does anyone have the August issue of that magazine, the online version is not the full article?
A quote from you... " There are more than just CV angles as limiting factors for IFS suspensions, we will address them all and when we install the first kit and show the results everyone will be really surprised at what we have come up with. Downey has done some great things for the Toyota IFS and we plan on doing the same for Nissan's."

BTW.. how does your/ AC's lift correct or get around the driveshaft/cv angle problem and increase articulation?[/b]
You have WAY too much time on your hands, I run TWO businesses and will not spend half my day responding to your comments when you know the answers yourself. If you want to place an order I will answer all your questions.

I did plan on making some unique suspension parts for the X, the drawings are all done but I changed directions a bit instead.

Get around what problem? Spend your day surfing and finding out how many cv problems there have been and post your results...there are many, many people who are using the various lifts with no cv problems.

Why are you attacking EOE and myself?
EOE...Opening Soon!

#418565 - 28/05/02 08:54 AM Re: 3" lift
Carlton McMillan Offline

Quote:
Sure, but what's wrong with that? If as stated in the article you gain no travel than why not spend the same amount of money on a kit that gains travel...or just install a body lift if the intenetion is to raise the truck to fit larger tires.
o.k. just checking..

Too much crap to deal with if you get a body lift (relocate rear bumper, can not safely relocate ARB with the winch, wiring, moving steering, gap between the frame and body, don't gain any extra clearance between the frame and the ground, bla bla bla)

As for the kit that does increase travel.. I will wait till one comes out that is built properly..

note.. before you say anything about increasing ground clearance with larger tires and a body lift.. with a suspension lift you get the clearance from the larger tires as well as moving the entire vehicle further from the ground

#418566 - 28/05/02 08:58 AM Re: 3" lift
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Man, you guys all sound like me... Let me clear some things up.

The CALMINI kit does offer increased travel up front.

Think about it. It is physically impossible to make a 3" upper control arm lift kit without creating additional travel.

Try raising the front of a stock Xterra 3 inches by adjusting the torsion bars. You can't, you run out of room before you get the front 3 inches higher.

With the CALMINI kit, the truck sits 3 inches higher than stock, and yet still has an 3/4 - 1 inch of clearance between the droop stop and upper arm.

As for total travel, the SLR lift kit wins, since the Bilstein shocks offer the longest amount of extended travel.

This picture shows that Rancho shocks don't offer enough travel at full droop, it's 3/4" shorter than the Bilstein.

#418567 - 28/05/02 09:05 AM Re: 3" lift
Carlton McMillan Offline

Quote:
You have WAY too much time on your hands, I run TWO businesses and will not spend half my day responding to your comments when you know the answers yourself. If you want to place an order I will answer all your questions.

I did plan on making some unique suspension parts for the X, the drawings are all done but I changed directions a bit instead.

Get around what problem? Spend your day surfing and finding out how many cv problems there have been and post your results...there are many, many people who are using the various lifts with no cv problems.

Why are you attacking EOE and myself?
Here is the problem I was speaking of..

"Stormy just broke a CV joint, and prior to that Pikachu broke one. Stormy's was the passenger side, can someone verify which one Pikachu broke ? I thought it was the passenger side too.

I found something interesting tonight. With the front of the Xterra raised with a floor jack (suspension fully extended), the passenger side axle shaft binds, but the driver side rotates freely. The passenger side can be turned, but only a short distance, about 90 degrees or so, before it hits something solid inside one of the joints. The inner CV joint uses a tripod joint, which has three bearings, each 120 degrees apart, the outer joint is an Rzeppa, which has 6 bearings 60 degrees apart. One of the two joints is binding severely."

If you have found some soultion to this problem I have not heard of it.

As for your question of attack.. I am not attacking you or EOE any more than your statement about Calmini's lift being "just for looks" was an attack on them.

#418568 - 28/05/02 10:48 AM Re: 3" lift
wilburburns Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky
Quote:

Too much crap to deal with if you get a body lift (relocate rear bumper, can not safely relocate ARB with the winch, wiring, moving steering, gap between the frame and body, don't gain any extra clearance between the frame and the ground, bla bla bla)

Carlton, you were at Nissannet. Did you not take a look at Mehdi's truck. He has the 2" BL, and a lifted ARB. He also has the Warn HS9500. If you recall, he even used the winch on a couple of occasions. The ARB did not move or flex with the new 2" cradle. Even while winching GAtor at that bad angle.

I just don't understand how you can say that you can't raise an ARB safely for use with a winch.

Oh, and if you are really wearing your tires badly with the lift, By all means remove the A-arms and go back to the stock arms until you can get something worked out. Alignments are cheap compared to the cost of 2 new tires.

Cliff
NOR Admin

#418569 - 28/05/02 10:53 AM Re: 3" lift
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by DesertRAT:
BTW, how'd you break it?
Just driving our boring fire roads here in Colorado. laugh

#418570 - 28/05/02 10:57 AM Re: 3" lift
SWXterraClub Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas USA
Quote:
Originally posted by wilburburns:
Carlton, you were at Nissannet. Did you not take a look at Mehdi's truck. He has the 2" BL, and a lifted ARB. He also has the Warn HS9500. If you recall, he even used the winch on a couple of occasions. The ARB did not move or flex with the new 2" cradle. Even while winching GAtor at that bad angle.

I just don't understand how you can say that you can't raise an ARB safely for use with a winch.

Cliff
Were those custom brackets? Are they sold by a insured and bonded shop that will take responsibility for a failure?

I will admit they they did look beefy. But from my speaking with ARB, 4Wheel Parts Wholesaler and others that have been in the business for quite some time, it is not suggested or recommended to do what he did with that bumper.

#418571 - 28/05/02 10:59 AM Re: 3" lift
stormy Offline

Loc: NH
Quote:
Oh, and if you are really wearing your tires badly with the lift, By all means remove the A-arms and go back to the stock arms until you can get something worked out. Alignments are cheap compared to the cost of 2 new tires.

Cliff
He's saying tirewear due to allignment (camber) has not been a problem with Calmini or SLR's a-arms.

#418572 - 28/05/02 11:11 AM Re: 3" lift
Olegkha Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Man, you guys all sound like me...
AAAAAAAAA
More then one Ian

Thats Scary !!!!!!!

#418573 - 28/05/02 11:34 AM Re: 3" lift
wilburburns Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by stormy:
Quote:
[b]Oh, and if you are really wearing your tires badly with the lift, By all means remove the A-arms and go back to the stock arms until you can get something worked out. Alignments are cheap compared to the cost of 2 new tires.

Cliff
He's saying tirewear due to allignment (camber) has not been a problem with Calmini or SLR's a-arms.[/b]
I understand what he is saying about Tire wear. What I'm saying is that he is absolutely sure that it's a problem with the AC A-Arms. So, why destroy the tires while he is trying to get this situation worked out with AC. That's just dumb. eek

Cliff
NOR Admin

#418574 - 28/05/02 11:35 AM Re: 3" lift
Carlton McMillan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Olegkha:
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
[b]Man, you guys all sound like me...
AAAAAAAAA
More then one Ian

Thats Scary !!!!!!![/b]
I don't think having another Ian around would be as scary as having another Oleg around [Freak]

#418575 - 28/05/02 11:48 AM Re: 3" lift
Steel_City_X Offline

Loc: Pueblo, CO
I still am having problems with the passenger side with too much camber. I am not running AC parts, and have requested further assistance, but have not gotten anything. The left side has adjustment, but the right side is already pushed in as far as possible.

Switching back to stock, - not possible - their gone.

Variations in design of A-arms - mine are different than others. Any time you assemble parts and eld then, there is room for error. In fact, the basic frame/construction of the truck may be the problem, but in that case, you would not simply "mirror" each part, you would engineer each for the specific side of the vehicle. I do not think thank either a arm was labeled, so are they interchangable?

My solution - well, I have to consider my options, Tires are cheaper than new arms from Calmini, but, it is the tracking issue that concerns me.

I am awaiting suggestings for other possible "work arounds".

Todd
First Xterra IFS or SAS up Moab Rim...#2 up Mt. Blanca.
African Adventure pictures....
http://homepage.mac.com/ahlenius/

#418576 - 28/05/02 11:49 AM Re: 3" lift
wilburburns Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by SWXterraClub:
Quote:
[b]Carlton, you were at Nissannet. Did you not take a look at Mehdi's truck. He has the 2" BL, and a lifted ARB. He also has the Warn HS9500. If you recall, he even used the winch on a couple of occasions. The ARB did not move or flex with the new 2" cradle. Even while winching GAtor at that bad angle.

Cliff
Were those custom brackets? Are they sold by a insured and bonded shop that will take responsibility for a failure?

I will admit they they did look beefy. But from my speaking with ARB, 4Wheel Parts Wholesaler and others that have been in the business for quite some time, it is not suggested or recommended to do what he did with that bumper.[/b]
Those brackets are not sold, they are custom built. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure you know who built them.

Don't forget Pika's ARB. It's lifted 2" and custom brackets were made to mount it up to the X (it's a cherokee ARB). His winch performed well also in the ARB.

I doubt that you will find anyone who will sell the brackets to lift the ARB. However, you could find a good fabricator/welder to build you one if need be.

Of course, ARB will not recommend this, because it modifies their design. Every 4wheelparts wholesaler I've seen has been a glorified parts reseller, not a true builder fabricator of Off-Road Parts. I have a shop called Trailblazers local to me (like a 4wheel parts). They are a bunch of idiots who don't know anything except how to sell RANCHO, TRAILMASTER, (insert any big manufacturer here) parts and accessories. They don't build/fabricate anything. A properly designed and welded cradle for an ARB will make the original design stronger and better.

That being said, Body lifts are a lot of work. [Wave]

Cliff
NOR Admin

#418577 - 28/05/02 12:14 PM Re: 3" lift
stormy Offline

Loc: NH
Quote:
Originally posted by Steel_City_X:
I still am having problems with the passenger side with too much camber. I am not running AC parts, and have requested further assistance, but have not gotten anything. The left side has adjustment, but the right side is already pushed in as far as possible.

Switching back to stock, - not possible - their gone.

Variations in design of A-arms - mine are different than others. Any time you assemble parts and eld then, there is room for error. In fact, the basic frame/construction of the truck may be the problem, but in that case, you would not simply "mirror" each part, you would engineer each for the specific side of the vehicle. I do not think thank either a arm was labeled, so are they interchangable?

My solution - well, I have to consider my options, Tires are cheaper than new arms from Calmini, but, it is the tracking issue that concerns me.

I am awaiting suggestings for other possible "work arounds".

Todd
As far as AC, SLR, and Calmini go, they DO specify a left and right side a-arm.

As for the work around, SLR makes an offset bushing I think.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal