2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#419370 - 29/04/03 12:55 PM Re: Everyone with Calminin steering.
DKX01 Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Elroy:
Also, I occasionally hear a loud 'clunk' when steering. Usually happens at rather slow speeds, either going forward or reverse. Anyone have any ideas??
I had this for a while. I didn't have the Calmini system (it's in the works laugh )...but I had just installed beefier tierod adjustors. Everytime I put it in reverse or made a left turn, I heard a big clunk. I don't know how it happened, but the angle of the tie rods must have changed....because of this, the tie rod on the driver side would hit a bad weld that was in the area. I took and sanded down the bad weld with a dremmel and it hasn't made the noise since...

Get under your truck and have someone turn the wheel for you while you look. Check how close your steering gets to the undercarriage...it might just be a bad weld.

DKX01

#419371 - 30/04/03 06:40 AM Re: Everyone with Calminin steering.
Olegkha Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
DKX01 :
when you sad your steering system hits the frame
do you mean the nut on top or the tie rod hits the frame rail ?

that would be a sign that your centerlink should have been changed a while back, and you are just asking for a broken tie rod adjuster

#419372 - 30/04/03 10:21 AM Re: Everyone with Calminin steering.
DKX01 Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA
Sorry, I wasn't real specific, the nut on top of the tie rod end was hitting that bad weld...

Since I sanded the weld down, no more noises, my steering is a little loose (I attribute that to the lift), but I'm not all over the highway.

DKX01

#419373 - 11/08/03 09:56 AM Re: Everyone with Calminin steering.
jorge Offline

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Yeah, this is an old thread, but I ran into this problem after ECXC and made a little video:

Idler Arm Banging

Now if you're bored: X-Treme Idler Arm Banging

I tighted as much as I could, though I'll try using a breaker bar and later an impact wrench. I just feared breaking something. Also, anyone know the exact size for this bolt is? Is it metric/standard?

Plethora of photos , videos , a Phlog ,
and a site with kittens .
www.njax.net
NJAX.net profile
--------------------
Homer, I see your daughter is one of those wave-kissing, Dukakis-hugging moon maidens.

#419374 - 11/08/03 10:24 AM Re: Everyone with Calminin steering.
kev0153 Offline

Loc: Woodbridge, Virginia
Jorge,

Thanks for the video. I think that is the source of my rattle noise. I always thought it was the skid plate rattling, but maybe it is the idler arm. I only get it on bumpy roads at higer speeds.

#419375 - 11/08/03 10:38 AM Re: Everyone with Calminin steering.
jorge Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by kev0153:
Thanks for the video. I think that is the source of my rattle noise. I always thought it was the skid plate rattling, but maybe it is the idler arm. I only get it on bumpy roads at higer speeds.
That doesn't sound like the idler arm, since I hear this whenever I turn, even when going very slow (standing still even).

The sound you here, does it only appear when you're taking a turn on a bumpy road? Does it feel like someone is hammering the bottom of the body?

www.njax.net
NJAX.net profile
--------------------
Homer, I see your daughter is one of those wave-kissing, Dukakis-hugging moon maidens.

#419376 - 11/08/03 01:18 PM Re: Everyone with Calminin steering.
Ruttiger Offline

Loc: NJ
Quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Now if you're bored: X-Treme Idler Arm Banging
[Freak]

Looks like you were bored laugh

#419377 - 11/08/03 02:01 PM Re: Everyone with Calminin steering.
Powerguy38 Offline

Loc: Greensburg, PA
Quote:
That doesn't sound like the idler arm, since I hear this whenever I turn, even when going very slow (standing still even).

The sound you here, does it only appear when you're taking a turn on a bumpy road? Does it feel like someone is hammering the bottom of the body?

I don't know if you guys remember me complaning of a similiar sound at ECXC. I have yet to track it down. Jorge, I have the same noise when I jerk the tire back and forth. In fact, I made a video as well and sent it to Steve at Calmini. He replaced my idler arm. The sound is still there. I'm thinking it may be the tie rod ends are bad. Mine have 93,000 miles on them and have never been replaced.

#419378 - 11/08/03 03:41 PM Re: Everyone with Calminin steering.
kev0153 Offline

Loc: Woodbridge, Virginia
I always thought my noise from my engine skid plate banging on my front diff. It sits rignt on it. When I saw (heard) your video the noise was similar. I'll keep looking.

#419379 - 11/08/03 05:24 PM Re: Everyone with Calminin steering.
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
Jorge,

Hard to tell with the video but kind of seems like the wheel is wobbling way too much and the tie-rod ends are toast.

BTW do you have a steering stabilizer installed? If so which one? Wondering if that has ever contacted with anything? or loosen up/ could also be making noise?

#419380 - 04/10/03 05:11 PM Re: Everyone with Calminin steering.
XSAL Offline

Loc: 94043 -> 19355
Quote:
...I tighted as much as I could, though I'll try using a breaker bar and later an impact wrench. I just feared breaking something. Also, anyone know the exact size for this bolt is? Is it metric/standard?
Has anyone found out what size bolts those are? :rolleyes: I just found out that mine also needs to be tightened or...done something about it. Yes, I get to hear that "clunk" right now... [Uh Oh !]

#419381 - 04/10/03 09:43 PM Re: Everyone with Calminin steering.
BIBXTERRA Offline

I just received the steering system about a week ago and plan to put it in within the next week and a half. I'll report any problems.

I think the size of the nut and bolt is 19mm, but best to check with a wrench. Beacuse we are dealing with a Japanese car, I think it will be metric. The idler arm shaft,shaft and brace came pre assembled and tightened to spec from the Calmini, so it will be plug and play for me. I also painted the steeering system with some marine/industrial paint to increase the corrosion resistance.

smile

#419382 - 06/10/03 02:07 PM Re: Everyone with Calminin steering.
XID_dup1 Offline

Loc: Phoenix,AZ
Wanted to chime on the "clunk"ing and Idler arm play issue.

I've been experiencing a rattle on the passenger side when I hit a speed bump or a depresion in the road when I'm traveling at 10mph or more. I checked on the play in the idler are and did see that my Calmini arm was moving up and down a little bit. I also noticed that my tie rod ends on the passenger side feel much looser than I would expect, and looser than the pitman side. I just had the Calmini system put in in the Feb/Mar timeframe and we replaced the tire-rod ends on both sides at that time. I took the suggestion of other in the thread to tighten the idler arm bolt/nut(I assume everyone was talking about the large bolt that the idler arm/assemble pivots on.) I don't know for sure what size the nut was, but we used a 1-1/8" wrench, which had a slight amount of play, but never slipped. We threw on a long pipe and proebly got the thing to turn 3/4 to 1 full turn. The up/down motion seems to have gone away or diminished, but the clunk/rattle still remains.

One other observation, with the wheel firmly planted on the ground and the ignition in the ACC position(to keep the steeling wheel from locking up) I can move the steering wheel every so lightly and hear a knocking noise. The pitman and idler arms we not moving, but I could still hear the noise. It sounded like it was coming from the steering column area.

So the questions I have are:

Do I have a bad idler arm that move more when its under "driving pressure"?

Are there any other components I can check for to see if they are causing the clunking/rattle noise while i'm moving?

If the other knocking noise I'm hearing(while not moving) is coming from the steering column, is there something I can check or adjust to stop that?

Have I totally confused you with my descriptions?

Thanks for any answers. I want to make sure I do my due-diligence before I call up Calmini to ask them.

Thanks,

Andy

2001 4WD SE
Calmini Steering
6 month old tie-rod ends
Sway-a-way torsion bars, cranked a bit.
10% stiffer Billstiens in the front.
Extended Billstiens in the back.
59,000 miles
A few deep water crossings since the steering system was installed.

#419383 - 06/10/03 02:51 PM Re: Everyone with Calminin steering.
Richard Krenn Offline

Loc: Mount Vernon, WA, USA
Click here to see a video of my loose idler arm. I bought mine late Feburary 2003 and when I called Steve he said they had a problem with some of the early ones in the second batch. Steve sent a replacement and it seems to be fine.

Give Steve a call but have your invoice handy as they will want the info.

Richard

#419384 - 06/10/03 03:06 PM Re: Everyone with Calminin steering.
the3cotes Offline

Loc: fitchburg
I'm on my second idler arm already. The brass bushing blew out on the 1st one which caused excessive play and now I'm having the same problem again. Maybe I should get rid of my 35's and run 28's. That might solve the problem... confused Maybe?????

#419385 - 06/10/03 11:41 PM Re: Everyone with Calminin steering.
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
Quote:
Originally posted by XID:

If the other knocking noise I'm hearing(while not moving) is coming from the steering column, is there something I can check or adjust to stop that?

You're describing the noise as a "knocking." Now is it a knocking noise or does it seem more like a grinding noise in the steering collum? Possibly , when you are turning the wheel from side to side and you hear an annoying slight grinding noise from what seems like the middle of the steering column when turning the wheel from side to side it could have something to do with a cable or another of the air bag mechanisms.

From my understanding the air bad has some sort of cable connection that can possibly cause a grinding noise when turning the wheel quickly from side to side. Since it is a safety concern , just like seat belts , take it to your dealer and have them check it out.

It could be a totally different noise/thing that you are hearing but I thought I'd trow that out as a possibility.

#419386 - 07/10/03 05:47 AM Re: Everyone with Calminin steering.
jorge Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by XSAL:
]Has anyone found out what size bolts those are? :rolleyes: I just found out that mine also needs to be tightened or...done something about it. Yes, I get to hear that "clunk" right now... [Uh Oh !]
Tighting also goes so far. Then this will happen to your socket like it did to mine.
[img]http://www.njax.org/image/id-2464/fpThumb-large[/img]

Larger

And it still bangs, it's the bushing, not a loose bolt.

I used a 1 1/8. I think the exact size is a 28mm, but odd;ly enough, Sears does not have a 28mm socket. They couldn't even special order it because the guy claimed it's not even listed in their computers.

www.njax.net
NJAX.net profile
--------------------

#419387 - 07/10/03 06:43 AM Re: Everyone with Calminin steering.
DesertHB Offline

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
Quote:
I used a 1 1/8. I think the exact size is a 28mm, but odd;ly enough, Sears does not have a 28mm socket. They couldn't even special order it because the guy claimed it's not even listed in their computers.
I just checked on line and Sears makes a 28mm 12pt half inch drive part #00944276000. They did not have a 6pt part listed

Doug

#419388 - 07/10/03 07:26 AM Re: Everyone with Calminin steering.
jorge Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DesertHB:
I just checked on line and Sears makes a 28mm 12pt half inch drive part #00944276000. They did not have a 6pt part listed

Doug
Very interesting. Thanks, I'll bother them once again.

I found it so odd that they have every metic size up for 32 yet didn't have 28. There wasn't even a space for it on the wall.

www.njax.net
NJAX.net profile
--------------------

#419389 - 07/10/03 07:30 AM Re: Everyone with Calminin steering.
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
The bolt looks english to me. It has the hash marks on the head for Grade 8 instead of a metric class number. I used 1-1/8 and it seemed to fit well enough. I've been using my hi-lift hand slipped over the ratchet to tighten it down with a wrench braced against the body on the other end. My impact wrench doesn't have enough torque to do shit. From what I've been seeing the nut seems to back off over time.

#419390 - 07/10/03 07:57 AM Re: Everyone with Calminin steering.
TK1 Offline

Loc: Taylorsville, UT
Check the tierod ends that Calmini uses for the center link ends, I had at least 1/8" of vertical play in the passenger side one. I replaced them both yesterday and it's nice and quiet now. BTW I have also gone through two idler arms but I just bought a bunch of the bushings and replace them when necessary. I'm working on putting bearings in but I've been too busy to mess with it.

Got paint?

#419391 - 07/10/03 02:46 PM Re: Everyone with Calminin steering.
XID_dup1 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by TK1:
Check the tierod ends that Calmini uses for the center link ends, I had at least 1/8" of vertical play in the passenger side one.
Todd,

What exactly am I looking for here? Are you saying the centerlink tierod will move up and down an 1/8"?

Andy

#419392 - 07/10/03 02:55 PM Re: Everyone with Calminin steering.
XID_dup1 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by socalpunX:
Quote:
Originally posted by XID:
[b]

You're describing the noise as a "knocking." Now is it a knocking noise or does it seem more like a grinding noise in the steering collum? Possibly , when you are turning the wheel from side to side and you hear an annoying slight grinding noise from what seems like the middle of the steering column when turning the wheel from side to side it could have something to do with a cable or another of the air bag mechanisms.
[/b]
OK maybe knocking is not the best description, when I grab the steering wheel and move it back and forth ever so lightly, so little that the tires move very little or not at all, I get a slight tick-tick-tick type noise. It dosn't sound like grinding at all just a ticking or taping noise.

Now something else that I just remembered is while moving, when I turn the steering wheel to the right, I feel a little vibration and hear a little hum, but if I turn the wheel to the left I don't feel or hear it. It happens no matter which way the wheels are pointing when I start.

Andy

#419393 - 07/10/03 03:11 PM Re: Everyone with Calminin steering.
TK1 Offline

Loc: Taylorsville, UT
Ya, there was enough play that if I turned the steering wheel back and forth the centerlink end would move up and down 1/8" independantly from the idler arm. I am sure that this is where the loud popping sound was coming from.

Got paint?

#419394 - 07/10/03 03:16 PM Re: Everyone with Calminin steering.
XID_dup1 Offline

Ahhh... So far, I've not seen the center link move up and down. I may give Steve a call at Calmini to see what he says.

Thanks!

Andy

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal