2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#420363 - 26/07/05 11:10 AM Whobbly Wheel - Help
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello everybody-
This requires a little background:
There has been a "knocking" noise that has come from under the engine area for about two years; you can hear it when you hit small bumps, and it always sounded like it was coming from the driver's side wheel area. It has recently gotten much worse. I have tightened up all skid plates, checked the lug nuts, and the front sway bar, to no avail. I recently (3 months ago)lifted the truck (Calmini suspension lift), so I think you can rule out anything associate with those components.
My buddy recently noticed that my front driver's side wheel whobbles- it whobbles on top and bottom (axis of rotation is horizontal), if that makes any sense. I stopped driving it, so don't worry about that.
My question: WHAT THE HELL COULD IT BE? Has anyone experienced this problem? Lower control arm ball joint? (I hope not, those sound expensive) Anyone that can help before I just drop it at the shop to let them figure it out would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you-

#420364 - 26/07/05 11:13 AM Re: Whobbly Wheel - Help
Anonymous
Unregistered

ok, so this might sound a bit outlandish, but i had the same problem about three months ago, the dealer, after having it for two weeks, couldn't figure it out. Eventually, i found out it was just a rock that had gotten lodged in the lower control arm and was rattling around every time i went over a bump. Jack the truck up and start banging on stuff with a rubber mallet, see what happens...

my 2 cents, hope it helps...

#420365 - 26/07/05 11:16 AM Re: Whobbly Wheel - Help
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Could be that the wheel bearing is loose. Have you ever re-packed your wheel bearings?

#420366 - 26/07/05 12:05 PM Re: Whobbly Wheel - Help
Anonymous
Unregistered

No, I have not yet re-packed the bearings (about 60,000 miles). Is there any other way of knowing if it is the bearings, other then to go ahead and re-pack? Would the tire really whobble if it was the bearings?

Thanks for the help-

#420367 - 26/07/05 12:48 PM Re: Whobbly Wheel - Help
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Lift that wheel off the ground and see if you can wiggle it by hand.

#420368 - 26/07/05 02:13 PM Re: Whobbly Wheel - Help
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Admin:
Lift that wheel off the ground and see if you can wiggle it by hand.
Ditto... and if it does move you should be able to see where the movement originates from, Tie Rods, Center links or other items.

Knocking Sound... Drivers side. Wheeling it hard?? Checked the engine mount? Front Sway bar bolts/nuts tight?

#420369 - 27/07/05 08:47 AM Re: Whobbly Wheel - Help
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dead Balljoints, dead wheel bearings, improperly adjusted bearings, dead steering components (centerlink, TRE's), dead shock, tire badly out of balance.

Jack up under the lower control arm and grab that wheel and wiggle it in every way. A buddy helps here...he should be able to see if there's any bad movement and isolate where it is.

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal