Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 162 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#420474 - 20/08/05 05:29 AM Rear Tbar anchor BROKE
Anonymous
Unregistered

So the suspension lift has been in for a few weeks now, the steering set up is all in and working great. I just took it on wednesday to get some new tires. Slapped on a set of BFG MT 285/70/17 which look just BADASS on there, feels like I could crawl up walls.
I drove it around a little bit that day, then my girlfriend and I decide to take a little ride, maybe a hike or something. Had a couple days off and a strong need for some wilderness.

So there I am cruising down this dirt road (well groomed and pretty smooth) and the front driver tire hits a small little pothole puddle (maybe foot and a half across three inches deep) key words here beeing SMALL and LITTLE. I was going maybe 10 miles an hr tops. well there is a loud BANG that sounded like a m80 blasting off under the truck and my front end just drops........

After my initial shock of thinking maybe someone SHOT me. I hop out and the truck is pretty much resting on the driver side tire, no lift what-so-ever. I climb underneath and find the torsion bar rear arm/adjuster thing is loose and seems to have popped out of where it is seated on the crossmember. After a tow to a nearby shop and them telling me they want nothing to do with it because of the aftermarket parts, they tell me the rear anchor/arm whatever the F*&%@ its called has stripped out. Seems like the torsion bar shifted forwards a little and only about 1/2 inch of the splines on tbar were in the rear seats.

Long story a little shorter, got it towed somewhere else (gotta love AAA) had to order new tbar arms so I got both of them new (why mess around) got new bolts and hardware also. Hopefully they will be in today (saturday) and I can get the damned thing fixed tuesday at the earliest.

Has anyone EVER heard of something like this happening??????? I was on xoc for hours reading every damned tbar post but found nothing like this. I even crawled under a couple other Xs in a parking lot to make sure mine was all together correctly, which it seems to be.

I havent measured the tbars to make sure they are same length as stock, which is really the only thing I can come up with as to WHY this happened. If they were a little bit shorter then i suppose they could slide forwards a bit and not enough of the rear splines would be in the rear arms.

#420475 - 20/08/05 05:46 AM Re: Rear Tbar anchor BROKE
Anonymous
Unregistered

This has happened to a couple of people. I'm not sure why, but others have had either their anchors strip out or the T-bar adjusters strip out. I have been thinking about getting an extra set just in case.

Also, some have had the adjustor bolts strip out on their own.

There is a lot of pressure on these parts. The force applied to them is in several tons, so failures will occasionally happen. Not a bad idea to carry an extra set if you off-road a lot. laugh

#420476 - 20/08/05 05:51 AM Re: Rear Tbar anchor BROKE
Anonymous
Unregistered

64 buckaroos EACH from Nissan not to mention 6 or 7 bucks for the bolt and about the same for the little 1/2 moon anchor piece.

#420477 - 20/08/05 06:38 AM Re: Rear Tbar anchor BROKE
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Jay this is the only older thread that I could find relating to your issue..

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=73;t=000551#000000

#420478 - 20/08/05 06:42 AM Re: Rear Tbar anchor BROKE
Anonymous
Unregistered

Saw that happen twice at ECXC I think.

Tj did something similar to that in the pines one day.

#420479 - 20/08/05 06:56 AM Re: Rear Tbar anchor BROKE
pinoy Offline

Loc: TinleyPark, IL.
Here's a thread about it T-bar adjustor

As I recall from ECXC one person striped the front anchor and another bent the rear adjustor just like in the link I posted above.

jmjutras you got any part#'s on the parts you purchased? I'm looking at getting spares just it case.

#420480 - 20/08/05 11:09 AM Re: Rear Tbar anchor BROKE
Anonymous
Unregistered

54211-9Z000 & 54210-9Z000 are the rear torsion bar anchors
the bolts are 54216-31G00 and the pivot anchors are 54215-31G00

after reading those couple links i guess I got lucky mine just stripped out on the driver side rather than self destuction like the pretzel one. eek

#420481 - 21/08/05 08:50 AM Re: Rear Tbar anchor BROKE
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Yep - I had that happen in the pines, same deal..little pot hole and BANG!

The anchor splines were not seated all the way in....I think when the front end hits a pot hole, it pushes the LCA backwards, which adds stress to the bar on that side, which can twist into a bend (Shortening) and respond by twisting against the reduced spline area harder...which can strip the remaining contact area.

I avoided the tow truck by inserting a few quarters into the opposite anchor to push the bar into the remaining splines areas deeper into the anchor...which allowed me to limp home.

Luckily for me, Miikkaa, the Lord of the Pines, had a spare anchor at his house, and I followed him home.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#420482 - 22/08/05 05:32 AM Re: Rear Tbar anchor BROKE
pinoy Offline

Loc: TinleyPark, IL.
Quote:
Originally posted by jmjutras:
54211-9Z000 & 54210-9Z000 are the rear torsion bar anchors
the bolts are 54216-31G00 and the pivot anchors are 54215-31G00
Thanks for the info. man. [ThumbsUp]

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts