2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#420508 - 01/03/08 10:39 AM weight rating for stock leafs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok I know one of you out there put stock leafs on a trailer cause I saw the picture of it. I'm about to do the same thing but I'm curious what the actual rating for the leafs are? I'm just planning on "lifting" my trailer by adding my stock leafs and stock wheels to it. Just so it will sit somewhat level with my rig and will easily make it up some minor trails. Any body know what they're rated for? Or even an educated guess.

#420509 - 01/03/08 12:10 PM Re: weight rating for stock leafs
Anonymous
Unregistered

cool Why don't you just figure, that they're used on a 4200lb SUV ???

-- [ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp] --JIMBO

#420510 - 01/03/08 04:45 PM Re: weight rating for stock leafs
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas

This was probably 1000lbs worth of tires... worked fine on a 2000 mile road trip. Truck springs do tend to be a bit soft for trailer use, though.

#420511 - 02/03/08 12:14 AM Re: weight rating for stock leafs
Anonymous
Unregistered

where did you get that axle from?

#420512 - 02/03/08 03:28 AM Re: weight rating for stock leafs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by gymbo:
cool Why don't you just figure, that they're used on a 4200lb SUV ???

The rear of your truck weighs 4200lb? So you drive a 8400+lb vehicle? Very impressive [Uh Oh !] OR you just drive on the 2 rear wheels?

#420513 - 02/03/08 07:47 AM Re: weight rating for stock leafs
Anonymous
Unregistered

cool Yo,Shmittey, Good day, great to here from you, I've really looked forward to your talented responses !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Shmittey:
Quote:
Originally posted by gymbo:
[b] cool Why don't you just figure, that they're used on a 4200lb SUV ???

The rear of your truck weighs 4200lb? So you drive a 8400+lb vehicle? Very impressive [Uh Oh !] OR you just drive on the 2 rear wheels?[/b]
--I only drive in 2wd on the hiwy !!

--Where have you been, I kinda missed ya-

-- [Wave] [Wave] --JIMBO

#420514 - 02/03/08 08:37 AM Re: weight rating for stock leafs
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
I'm not sure where he (System F - on here sometimes but not often) got it - but you can buy 'em at Northern Tool and possibly Tractor Supply.

You should check out THIS bad ass expedition trailer from-scratch build.

#420515 - 02/03/08 08:58 AM Re: weight rating for stock leafs
Anonymous
Unregistered

cool There's another alternative ShoxX--

--Check into www.dexteraxle.com

Quote:
Originally posted by ShoxX:
Ok I know one of you out there put stock leafs on a trailer cause I saw the picture of it. I'm about to do the same thing but I'm

--curious what the actual rating for the leafs are? I'm just planning on "lifting" my trailer by adding my stock leafs and stock wheels to it. Just so it will sit somewhat level with my rig and will easily make it up some minor trails. Any body know what they're rated for? Or even an educated guess.
--My trailer has their TORQFLEX axles that are rated at 1400lbs (600 lb trailer) and there's NO SPRINGS, checkitout--

#420516 - 02/03/08 10:21 AM Re: weight rating for stock leafs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser:

This was probably 1000lbs worth of tires... worked fine on a 2000 mile road trip. Truck springs do tend to be a bit soft for trailer use, though.
Thats what I want to do! Shocks and all. Does it get a little tippy in turns?? Thats one thing I'm worried about is having such a light trailer with a high center of gravity. I'm still pulling the measurements and trying to find an axle that is wide enough to put the hubs out far enough to run stock rims. And with the right perch measurement for the leaves

#420517 - 02/03/08 07:35 PM Re: weight rating for stock leafs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Shocks are required when using truck springs on a trailer. Without the shocks that thing would bounce all over the place. If you are doing any offroading on dirt roads above 20mph use truck springs and shocks. Trailer springs have been known to fatigue over time and crack.

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal