2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#423176 - 03/10/07 10:12 AM Lame ass 4x4 shops
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok so I have called around to the few shops I have available to me here in Boise Idaho, and none of them recomend that I crank up my Tbars. They all have said that Nissans are notorious for snapping them. All of them want me to sign a waiver before they do it. I had them cranked before I bought my new tires and wheels, but the tire shop I bought them from cranked them back down to stock. I told them to put them back and they said that it would void my warranty on the tires. Is this something that I really need to worry about? I noticed that the SL kits that we can get get half of the lift from cranking the Tbars...I dont do any rockcrawling mostly play in the mud and some slight mild climbing. My X is my daily driver and spends most of its time on the road, and going up to my local ski hill. I will probably end up doing it myself in my garage and getting an alignment, but wanted to get some more input from those of us that know these sweet offroad capable rides. The dicks at the 4x4 shops acted like we have some really big peices of shit or something. I have owned everything from lifted Chevy, Fords, and Scouts (RIP old friend [Crybaby] ) and this has been the best, other than my scout, most fun to drive 4x4 I have had. Ofcourse the dick heads are all stoked up on Jeeps and huge Dodge trucks, I think its due to the size of their member...Anyway any thought would be greatly appreciated.

X's kick ass! Fuck your big overdone Fords, Chevys and Dodges! We know whats up.
Spencer
Only Idahoan X driver on the board.

#423177 - 03/10/07 10:26 AM Re: Lame ass 4x4 shops
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jusst do it yourself, that's all there's to it. Cranking t-bars is simply preloading them differently and is not the main cause for snapping them. All lift kits available for the Xs get half the lift from the crank of t-bars so don't worry about it.

T-bars snap sometimes, sure but show me something that can't ever brake on a vehicle?

#423178 - 03/10/07 11:03 AM Re: Lame ass 4x4 shops
Anonymous
Unregistered

I love these 4x4 shops that tell you things about the X... ummm have you ever been to a little place called the XOC ??? When I was calling around to get a possible quote on my 3"SL they said, you better buy new T-Bar anchors, you have to cut them off sometimes on these Nissans??? confused Really?? I've never heard that... So I just do it myself

I don't know how a PROPERLY aligned tire would get screwed up due to T-bar adjustment.

#423179 - 03/10/07 12:11 PM Re: Lame ass 4x4 shops
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cranking the Tbars simply has an effect of resetting the ride height. They are allowed to twist more afterward, as you create more up travel, so there is some merit to their argument, however, it hasn't been a problem. The only Tbars I've heard of snapping, actually, are the aftermarket ones. I haven't heard of a failure on a stock one.

That said, this can be done with two 19mm wrenches, or a wrench and a breaker bar with a socket. There's how-tos all over the Nissan boards on this, and it's not difficult.

when you lift up this way, as you go up, the tires will toe in, and the camber may move out of spec, so it's a good idea to get the truck aligned afterward. A 1-1.5" lift is about all that's reasonably attainable with stock A-arms and still maintain some down travel. You can check the down travel by looking at the upper control arm from the front in relation to the bumpstop on the frame extension.

#423180 - 03/10/07 02:11 PM Re: Lame ass 4x4 shops
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the input I am going to do it myself today. I was fn pissed he basically told me that my X is a piece of shit and shouldnt ever leave the road. I am half tempted to take in pics of barely modded X's and show them what they are capable of. Screw the little dick having huge worthless truck driving bastards! I love my X and would gladly put it up against some of the shit that I saw at that shop. [Finger]

#423181 - 03/10/07 02:21 PM Re: Lame ass 4x4 shops
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't know. I bought the calmini shackle kit and then decided that 1.5" of lift isn't going to benefit me enough to risk changing anything underneath. That's just me though. I've been to quite a few 4x4 shops here in NJ who said they would do it w/ no problem. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but the way I see it is..the X is plenty capable off road the stock height..why risk breaking anything for 1.5" of lift?

#423182 - 03/10/07 06:26 PM Re: Lame ass 4x4 shops
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Yeah - most of the 4WheelParts type guys I've run across drive lifted stupid dutys with big blingy wheels...complete poser trucks.

You don't want them to work on your truck anyway - they know less than nothing about it.

#423183 - 07/10/07 03:22 PM Re: Lame ass 4x4 shops
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
The X has a built-in torsion bar adjustment...all you're doing is using it, and getting a wheel alignment.

The 1.5" lift DOES help off road, mostly with break over angle.

T-Bar adjustments don't break things...the front suspension cycles through the exact same range up/down, between the bumpstops, as before the lift....there is no extra stress...and it won't snap a bar.

Bars snap on unlifted strucks, just like shocks break, etc...but I have not seen more lifted ones with problems in that regard.

Hell, the stock bars sag like crazy...that's WHY Nissan built-in the adjusters, instead of making you go buy a "Key" like Chevy and Ford, etc, do sometimes.

laugh

PS - The shops also tell you that your ABS and traction control, etc....won't work with larger tires, but it works fine, and other myths.

Do your own work, its safer.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#423184 - 07/10/07 04:07 PM Re: Lame ass 4x4 shops
Anonymous
Unregistered

The guys at the local 4wheel parts had a similar attitude when I first brought in my X but hey, they are the only place around here with a tire warentee that covers offroad damage and sidewalls too so that's where I go. I know they have changed thier opinions over time because now they walk out to look at my X about half the time I come in. They are sincerely interested in the mods I have done and what is next. They constantly ask my where I have been wheeling lately and what I have planned. I have invited them out with me several times but they have yet to go out wheeling with me in those F250s and diesel Rams. You just have to remember that on the rare occasion when they see an X it is usually to put on some 20" bling wheels and some Nitto tires, odlly enough... the same thing they usually put on thier own Fords Chevs and Rams [Laughing]

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal